Anyone ever use GLOBAL ENTRY at a sea port

CoachT

I have used GE twice on cruises. When you get Global Entry they give you a card, drivers license like, and you simply find an agent and use the card. I still filled out a Customs Sheet, but that is easy to do on a cruise ship as you have days to do it. They do not have the kiosks but if you use a porter, just tell him you have GE and they will take you to the front.

Isn't one of the technical requirements for using GOES or similar entry, that you are doing so for BUSINESS purposes (when you compete the customs forms?)?

I thought I remembered reading in the application, but I did it years ago, or it could have been one of the even older susses from hers gone by.

The predecessor to Nexus (forget the name) was for business travelers only, and you had to be sponsored by your employer. The new Nexus/GE card is for both Business and Leisure travelers.

I would love if at least a couple of the major cruise terminals had Global Entry or Nexus kiosks. I think as someone else pointed out there may not be enough holders to make it worthwhile :( Wish they did... it's a great process at the airports.

Isn't it a chicken or egg issue... If there are kiosks in cruise terminals, frequent cruisers will see a reason to apply. I would be much more likely to apply if I could use it at cruise terminals as well as for my occasional international flight.

We are Canadians with Global / Nexus we went the extra distance and supplied US customs with biometrics so finger prints and retina. For Canadians to get Nexus US customs decides.

We can enter Canadian airports and by pass agents simply by walking up to a machine entering our declaration and having our eyes scanned by it. The machine prints out our clearance stub. Much like you get your boarding pass from a machine but with and eye scan as well.

There is a bridge into the US at Niagara Falls that we can drive across that is manned on a random basis only Nexus users can access it and your card must be preloaded to pay the toll, you drop your declaration in a box and they charge your credit card of record after the fact for any duties or taxes owed.

We disembarked from a Princess ship in LA in November we had to get in a separate line for non US residents we stood in line while customs agents were finger printing all the Asians and Europeans in line and quizzed them. When we got to customs after a long wait we presented our Nexus cards and passports.

A nexus card can be used as an entry document into the US we don't need to supply our passports to the agents to gain entry.

The agents ( 2 in the booth) looked at the cards and stated they had no use for them they needed our passports. They then began doing a tedious scan of our passports and do an interview of us.

I accept entering the US is a privilege for non US residence.

In LA they likely get 100's if not 1000's of illegals from Mexico a day yet US customs is grilling pax as potential illegals disembarking from cruise ships?

After clearing customs we were stopped before we left the terminal and queried by another agent and asked if we had bought prescription medication while in Mexico, told him we were Canadians and there was no need to and kept walking.

Seemed like wasted resources to me.

Edited by baldercash

At this point in time, the cards' value is expedited customs/immigration upon arrival at US airports in connection with international travel. The program is still in its infancy and is slowly incorporating US airports for use in connection with domestic air travel. I'm guessing if cruise ports are eventually added to the mix, it won't be for a long while.

No just arrival at airports. I use mine for both vehicle and boat entry along the St. Lawrence as well.

I don't understand your comment about domestic air travel. CBP and the Canada Border Services Agency have no interest in domestic flights. The Trusted Traveler Programs are intended only for cross-border travel.

What sticker are you talking about? I am a Global Entry/Trusted Traveler Member and do not have any sticker; only the GE credit card-sized card that was issued. So what are yo talking about?

Sticker? I dont even have a Global Entry card. I have had my Global Entry seems like years now. I use it mostly at SEA, LAX and ATL. Out of my 30 cruise I never remember having any real lines once I have my luggage. What cruise ports are you having these problems at? Richard

CBP and the Canada Border Services Agency have no interest in domestic flights. The Trusted Traveler Programs are intended only for cross-border travel.

But even on domestic flights within Canadian airports, it allows you to use the expedited screening lineup. My husband and I have used it a few times and bypassed big lineups.

No just arrival at airports. I use mine for both vehicle and boat entry along the St. Lawrence as well.

I don't understand your comment about domestic air travel. CBP and the Canada Border Services Agency have no interest in domestic flights. The Trusted Traveler Programs are intended only for cross-border travel.

You can use it to go through the precheck line at the airport if you enter the number online with the airline. That was terrific a week ago when we traveled. As for the cruise ports- there aren't any at the cruise ports at least as far as my research indicated. Also I was on the reflection and disembarked early on the 25th and there was no way to flash a card and get anywhere quicker. There were 2 lines- 1 if you had a porter you went in a shorter line if you didn't. Hmmm. I just remembered a 3 rd line that a CBP person was working in. Who knows if you could flash your card and get past. She wasn't there when if burst got in line and there wasn't any sign indicating anything. That I know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The officer interviewing me... said if the kiosk at an airport is not working, you go to the closest line at the front and show your sticker affixed to your passport. You then will be the next in line.

Is that kind of like when you call the cruise line and a phone rep tells you something about the ship with the confidence of someone who has sailed on it a dozen times, even though he/she has never been within 500' of an actual cruise ship, let alone the one you're asking about, and the answer given is a complete fabrication?

You can use it to go through the precheck line at the airport if you enter the number online with the airline. That was terrific a week ago when we traveled. A

I used that feature on AA to beat the security line at LAX on a flight to Hawaii last year.

Unfortunately, cruise ports have not yet set up a separate line for this as many airports and border crossings have.

It does not allow anybody to skip the line, it permits you to go in a different line for trusted travelers.

In order to get my Nexus (with Global Entry) we had to have a personal meeting with both Canadian and American Immigration officers, get finger printed, have a retina scan and learn all the rules of what can and can't be brought into and out of both countries.

I would never break the rules because I wouldn't want to lose the privilege.

The card clearly says for 'sea' also but when I asked last time at Port Everglades I was told they are 'thinking' about it but didn't see it happening soon.

Hopefully one day soon we will see these lines in ports too. :D

Yes, chicken and egg. If they opened a dedicated lane, I'm sure we'd see more chickens.......

I used that feature on AA to beat the security line at LAX on a flight to Hawaii last year.

Delta has our names in their system and when we print our boarding pass it clearly states "TSA PRECHECK". Makes life a lot easier in major airports but it doesn't work as well in smaller venues which don't have the same capability. No more stickers, as someone has noted.

But even on domestic flights within Canadian airports, it allows you to use the expedited screening lineup. My husband and I have used it a few times and bypassed big lineups.

Good to know. That isn't mentioned on the website and wasn't mentioned during our interview. As the only flights we've made since acquiring the NEXUS cards have been to the US, and therefore through US pre-clearance, we've not lost out, but I'll bear that in mind for the future. Do you know if that's universal at Canadian airports?

Good to know. That isn't mentioned on the website and wasn't mentioned during our interview. As the only flights we've made since acquiring the NEXUS cards have been to the US, and therefore through US pre-clearance, we've not lost out, but I'll bear that in mind for the future. Do you know if that's universal at Canadian airports?

This might help you out. It wasn't mentioned to us either when we went through the application process.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/using-your-nexus-card

This might help you out. It wasn't mentioned to us either when we went through the application process.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/using-your-nexus-card

Terrific, thank you. I'd read all of the related docs on the CBSA and CBP websites, but never thought to look at CATSA or TSA as they aren't officially part of the program. Nice to see them getting on board.

• 3 months later...

Liberty April 2014. Ft lauderdale. Was mocked for asking if they helped

Oh well. Someday it might help but the tsa precheck is totally worth the money

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Am I right in assuming this thread is related to the USA and Canada only and has no relevance to the rest of the world and is also not related specifically to Celebrity Cruise Lines

Edited by Beanb41

Am I right in assuming this thread is related to the USA and Canada only and has no relevance to the rest of the world and is also not related specifically to Celebrity Cruise Lines
You are correct in that it is not Celebrity specific.

The Global Entry program "allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States " as part of the Trusted Traveler Programs

Nexus is specific to Canadians and Americans at Canadian /American borders and is also part of the American Trusted Traveler Programs.

In theory these programs should be available at sea ports but I don't believe they have instituted anything.

Too bad.:(

• 3 months later...

We've been wondering the same thing. I'm doing enough flying that I'm ready to pay for pre-check. GOES is only $15 more, but requires me to travel out of state for the interview. We will, however, be in Las Vegas on Dec 23, and could do the interview then if they will be open.

I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and do the interview then, or just do the TSA one as soon as I can take a day off work to go to a location that offers it.

Anyone know any updates?

Anybody had recent experience with this?

I'm particularly interested in San Juan and Miami, but will take any feedback on current news.

Global Entry kiosks continue to be solely located at selected airports, so if you're asking about the San Juan and Miami cruise ports, there are no Global Entry kiosks. If you're asking about the SJU and MIA airports, yes, they have Global Entry kiosks:

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/locations