Possible rollout of drinks packages

Just had an intersting email from a UK bases TA, I know I cannot name them but they are a subsidiary of rci and known here in the UK, basically they were offering 3 transatlantic cruises on Indy, Navigator and Adventure, the deal is for a free premium drinks package when booking a balcony cabin, ive only ever heard of this for UK ans some Europe sailings before, makes me wonder if the drinks package is going to be rolled out fleetwide next year after a lot of the revitalisations and new menus.

You can find this on the web and there is a vote for options on drink packages.

The offers, which are rolling out this week on three ships, aren't inexpensive. The line's new Beer and Wine Package costs $29 per person per day for all beers, house wine by the glass and a 25% discount on all other wines and liquors.

The line also is offering the Classic Package, which costs $39 per person per day and includes all beers, house wine by the glass, all liquor (except premium and speciality brands), cocktails and 25% discount on all other wines and premium and speciality liquors. The Premium Package, at $49 per person per day offers all that is included in the Classic Package plus glasses of wine that normally sell for up to $10, cocktails, premium liquor brands and a 25% discount on all bottles of wine, glasses of wine over $10 and speciality liquors

I am just off the Grandeur and had the pleasure of exploiting the drink package (premium was $55 per day). When chatting to a senior member of bar staff, we were told that the package could never be rolled out on US based cruises as the responsible drinking laws incumbant upon them would cause too many problems and liability issues, particularly the matter of personal liability of the bar staff.

Are these new drink packages available on only TA cruises, or will they be available for all?? Wondering about the Adventure to the Caribbean in December??

Read post #6 above: cruises that leave and return to the same US port will probably not be offering this.

I am just off the Grandeur and had the pleasure of exploiting the drink package (premium was $55 per day). When chatting to a senior member of bar staff, we were told that the package could never be rolled out on US based cruises as the responsible drinking laws incumbant upon them would cause too many problems and liability issues, particularly the matter of personal liability of the bar staff.

Interesting comment from the senior staff member since Celebrity has offered drink packages for some time.

Only passing on what I was told. Perhaps Celebrity patrons are a less risky crowd.

The "responsible drinking laws incumbant upon them" would be the same, regardless of ship. More likely, they have determined that they can offer the packages more profitably on Celebrity, as most decisions made based on the resulting effect on the bottom line.

The "responsible drinking laws incumbant upon them" would be the same, regardless of ship. More likely, they have determined that they can offer the packages more profitably on Celebrity, as most decisions made based on the resulting effect on the bottom line.

I'm sailing Reflection in March. I'll let you know if I dent the bottom line.:D Actually, there is so much more to the Premium Package than alcohol so we figured we'd give it a try. On my only one other Celebrity Cruise, I did see a slightly different demographic and would suggest this is probably the reason they offer the package here in the US.

I've not seen this discussed much on here and didn't see anything in a quick look see on the Carnival boards about the test on Victory. Anyone heard how it is going?

I was just discussing with my sister. I mentioned how some cruise lines are going to these packages when we've reached where 3 beers and we're under the table. :eek:

It has been available on some or all European cruises for a while.

Actually, not close to "all".

IIRC, there are 3 ships "over there" that have the drink packages. They are Independence, Grandeur and.......Legend? I'm sure of the first two names; less sure about Legend.

Actually, not close to "all".

IIRC, there are 3 ships "over there" that have the drink packages. They are Independence, Grandeur and.......Legend? I'm sure of the first two names; less sure about Legend.

Bahhh! I am looking at one on the Serenade from next year and I think it would definitely be worth it for me if available.

Of course the same laws apply but using your own logic, the crowd with the best profitability will also be the ones who pose less of a liability issue under said laws.

As I said, only passing on what I was told but it's not without logic.

Cruises offering drinks packages FREE have actually gone up in price almost the full costs of the package since we booked in April. Our cruise now costs more than £900 more for 13 nights for 2 persons.

Archived