Where do you store your photos?

Terre

I have been saving and creating albums in Webshots for several years now. Webshots is changing to Smile. I don't like Smile...I no longer have specific albums and my photos are all scattered throughout.

Where do you use to store your photos? I still want to be able to e-mail my albums to friends, I want to be able to post on CC, I want people to be able to see my pictures. I want something that is easy with the uploads and sharing.

My problem is I started using Snapfish years ago and it is not as friendly as Photobucket or some of the other sites. I really do need to make the change also so I too will appreciate any and all advice about the online sites and why.

I put the ones I want to share with family, etc. on Flickr. If I want to post them here I put them on Photobucket just because it seems to be easier to post.

I agree, always use Photobucket, but for sharing and easy of use I use Picasa 3. For backup I use Western Digital mini hard drive, just in case something were to happen with the internet storage. Also easy to get to and take with me.

I put the ones I want to share with family, etc. on Flickr. If I want to post them here I put them on Photobucket just because it seems to be easier to post.

I also use Photobucket and to share use Picasa 3 easy and quick. Storage use Western Digital mini, like to have my backup at home.

If you are looking for free I think Picasa and Shutterfly are both worth a look.

Paid sites there are many that offer both video/pictures and ability to protect photos; smugmug and zenfolio.

Personally I use shutterfly as my sharing site and then zenfolio now for my paid site. For actually storaged its DIY with 3 portable USB drives all stored in different places.

I work in IT. I know cost both financial and emotional, along with work related when I have investigators that take pics. At work we back up to a server, that gets backed up to tape daily....I know most don't have a server. I have seen bills of 2000 for data recovery......work related for our commission when the laptop died. I know hard drives die, as do external ones. So mine pics are on an external drive and the best and faves, the ones I just can't lose are also burned to cd, stored elsewhere. All the copies in my house is foolish if my house burners down. Off site for sure with the grand babies pics!

In case of a major calamity such as a fire, hurricane, etc., most material possessions can be replaced except for pictures. Being 55, I have amassed lots of pictures with about one-third of them being extremely important to me. I would be devastated if I lost those pictures as many people in them have passed away and they bring back beautiful memories when I look at them. I am in the process of scanning some special old film pictures which are irreplaceable. I regularly back up my computer contents on an external hard drive but I also subscribe to Smugmug. To me, $50 a year is a small price to pay for the security of not losing those special pictures. I think, also, that a service you pay for, is less likely to go out of business. Just my opinion.

I use Dropbox to back up all my photos and documents. My photos are synced across all my PC's at home and at work. I also backup my photos to an external HD attached to my iMac. It would suck to lose documents, but I would be devastated to lose my pictures. I have 100gb storage plan for Dropbox. I recently started using Crashplan. I get unlimited storage for only about $50 per year. I set this up to backup tue 750gb on my iMac, including all my photos. Can never be too careful. Lol

Smugmug.com I think it's pretty easy. It also has a great program for correcting photos.

I was looking at Smugmug the other day and it looks pretty good. You also get your own customized web page that you can give out to people to view your photos. I might try their 14 day trial period.

I joined SmugMug about a week ago. I really like the site so far, and I've already created two products that will be Christmas presents. If you decide to join, do a Google search for a coupon. I found one that gave me 20% off my one-year membership.

I also use/have used both Shutterfly and Snapfish for creating albums, cards, etc.

I first started with PhotoBucket. I am still there, and I use it predominately to post my pix here on CC. Very easy to do.

I then set up an account with Shutterfly. It is free, and I find it very good for creating online photo albums. After I get my pix up on SF, I then use SF to create photobooks, and I find their abilities with this to be very good, both functionality wise and the final product, a very professional coffee table book. Matter of fact, the final product I consider phenomenol.

I am now at the point that I am working on a project to get all of my "best ofs" into another photobook (or 2 or 3).

Okay, trying Photobucket...let's see if this works:

IMG_1341_zps70b4af63.jpg

YAY!!! I figured out that...now can you Photobucket fans tell me how to rearrange your photos in the album? When I uploaded an album, it put the photos in backwards. Also, which link do you use to post the link to the entire album in CC?

Archived