Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

If there is the 8ft predicted storm surge in NYC, what happens to all of the cars parked out on the pier? Or did they ban parking on the pier for the hurricane?

My parents parked at the pier. I do t know how close the parking is to the water in Bayonne though.

If there is the 8ft predicted storm surge in NYC, what happens to all of the cars parked out on the pier? Or did they ban parking on the pier for the hurricane?

Well, since the pier sits about 6-8 feet above the water line, the worst that would probably happen is water would wash over the top of the pier and under the cars.

they'll be coming home to wrecked cars... highly doubt the port will take any responsibility... i'm sure before you park you pass a big sign which puts liability on the passengers.

Well, since the pier sits about 6-8 feet above the water line, the worst that would probably happen is water would wash over the top of the pier and under the cars.

At least a 10 foot surge is expected, plus all the pounding rain Jersey is getting...... I believe the cars will be a mess.

Tri-state is in for a nightmare.

they'll be coming home to wrecked cars... highly doubt the port will take any responsibility... i'm sure before you park you pass a big sign which puts liability on the passengers.

We went through this only a short time ago in Galveston. People left on a cruise and a Hurricane hit while they were gone. Several feet of water flooded Galveston. Only cars that survived were parked in a multilevel parking garage. This would have been a good cruise to take a taxi to the terminal.

Good luck to everyone on the East Coast. My daughter is in the Air Force in Maryland and hunkered down and waiting.

At least a 10 foot surge is expected, plus all the pounding rain Jersey is getting...... I believe the cars will be a mess.

Tri-state is in for a nightmare.

We're parked on the Bayonne pier back in May, 2012 and it's practically right on the waterfront - with the rising sea level at high tides, wind & waves - electronics will be exposed to salt water & carpets will be soaked, etc. - it is not going to be pretty, especially if you do not have insurance coverage for such.

Bargain pre-owned, low-mileage post-hurricane vehicles for sale, anyone - LOL :eek:

On a more serious note - let's wish them a safe sailing getting to their destination and back, thru these rough seas - lost track of their movement on AIS - probably out of range for now ...

BDA-12040.jpg.e12caffbabb03176bfa276e6331337a5.jpg

We just got off Explorer yesterday (10/28). The captain said the current cruise would most likely have to go due east, possibly northeast for a period of time before turning south down to Bermuda. We had a bit of a bumpy ride Saturday and into Saturday night and then it calmed down once we got on the north side of the storm.

I hope in spite of Sandy the current cruisers can find a way to have a wonderful time. It is a great ship with and awesome crew. Blessings to all!

We just got off Explorer yesterday (10/28). The captain said the current cruise would most likely have to go due east, possibly northeast for a period of time before turning south down to Bermuda. We had a bit of a bumpy ride Saturday and into Saturday night and then it calmed down once we got on the north side of the storm.

I hope in spite of Sandy the current cruisers can find a way to have a wonderful time. It is a great ship with and awesome crew. Blessings to all!

Tracking sites last night showed them going south down the coast. They did not head northeast as they could have been trapped in a far more dangerous situation.

Going north across the top of the "T" of the storm is the most dangerous route. Going on the west/southwest side is the safest.

My DH is a retired US Navy Captain and a surface warfare officer. They NEVER crossed the top of a tropical storm/hurricane.

Tracking sites last night showed them going south down the coast. They did not head northeast as they could have been trapped in a far more dangerous situation.

Going north across the top of the "T" of the storm is the most dangerous route. Going on the west/southwest side is the safest.

My DH is a retired US Navy Captain and a surface warfare officer. They NEVER crossed the top of a tropical storm/hurricane.

Wow! The captain specifically said that route would be the least desirable because it is dangerous. Things probably changed with the speed and course of the storm. We went to the Q & A session Saturday morning and that's when he said they would likely go east or northeast. But, he also said they were in constant contact with headquarters and continually assessing the situation.

We got caught in a storm off the North Carolina coast on Explorer in April, 2009. 30-40 ft. seas for 18 hours. That was no fun so I can't imagine what they must be going through now. Marinetraffic.com shows them not far off the coast of Delaware right now. Seems like that would almost be in the heart of the storm. :eek:

Wow! The captain specifically said that route would be the least desirable because it is dangerous. Things probably changed with the speed and course of the storm. We went to the Q & A session Saturday morning and that's when he said they would likely go east or northeast. But, he also said they were in constant contact with headquarters and continually assessing the situation.

We got caught in a storm off the North Carolina coast on Explorer in April, 2009. 30-40 ft. seas for 18 hours. That was no fun so I can't imagine what they must be going through now. Marinetraffic.com shows them not far off the coast of Delaware right now. Seems like that would almost be in the heart of the storm. :eek:

marinetraffic.com is showing the position as of 1:00am this morning.

Those locations as shown were last reported 8 to 12 hours ago based on UTC and not current, the Carnival ship is south of Virginia now by the Carolinas, - otherwise, they would be trying to ride out the storm with wind speed of 70 knots (under marinetraffic website, click wind on the left & hover over the graphic symbols) Waves are 25 to 43 feet high in the area as Sandy is turning toward us.

It seemed that EOS was sailing south last night at high speed, following the NCL Jewel before trying to find the best spot to turn east toward Bermuda.

With this weather, it might be difficult for the ship's satellite to get a good signal out - emails/SMS/text & even cellular services are probably struggling to bounce up for the relays to a ground station on land. Ship internet is normally slow with high latency even when conditions are ideal and in this rough weather ...

The EOS, NCL and Carnival ships were probably close enough to the HMS Bounty, a replica 180 foot 3-mast ship that lost power in rough seas, 14 crew members were rescued after abandoning ship last night - perphaps they have been requested by the USCG to assist.

The storm track and intensity haven't really changed from the forecast. I'm thinking there was some miscommunication. He may have been hoping to go north/northeast, but it would have been a much worse ride and much more dangerous. The upper right quadrant of a hurricane is always the worst and the lower left is the best.

Those locations as shown were last reported 8 to 12 hours ago based on UTC and are not current, the Carnival ship is south of Virginia now by the Carolinas, - otherwise, they would not be trying to ride out the storm with wind speed of 70 knots (under marinetraffic website, click wind on the left & hover over the graphic symbols)

It seemed that EOS was sailing south last night at high speed, following the NCL Jewel before trying to find the best spot to turn east toward Bermuda.

With this weather, it might be difficult for the ship's satellite to get a good signal out - emails/SMS/text & even cellular services are probably struggling to bounce up for the relays to a ground station on land.

I'm sure that's the problem. I wish we could get more updated information, but will have to wait it out for now.

Just received a very short message from a co-worker who's on EOS now. He said they are, and have been in really rough seas since last night and lots of people were sick. He indicated the worst is behind them now (presumably info passed down from the Captain - speculation on my part).

He didn't say what their position was.

She's nearing the Chesapeake right now and it's really calming down there now. Looking at the Weather Bug current conditions, cloudy with light rain.

She should begin her eastward turn soon.

Weather in Bermuda:

MarineDetailed MarineWarningsTropicalObservations

Latest Conditions

At L.F.Wade Int. Airport

Recorded at 1:55 pm

Partly Cloudy

Temp.:

27°C/80°F

Humidity:

56%

Wind:

WSW 25KT

Bermuda Public Forecast

Issued At: 12:00 pm Monday, October 29, 2012

Hi : 26°C / 79°F

Lo : 23°C / 73°F

Public Synopsis:

Our Tropical Storm Warning has now expired as Hurricane Sandy makes its final approach towards the US New Jersey coast. It will remain windy though, as this very large system maintains its influence over our area for the next few days. A few showers will move in from the west, but are not expected to be especially heavy.

This afternoon

b_cloudy.gif

Sunny Periods, showers

Archived