End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

This is somewhat of a repeat of what I said on another thread. This policy change could be the opening of a new Elite level where Elites will receive coupons and the new level will includethe Traditional Elite Hour. Could be a major cost savings to Celebrity since they can limit drinks, eliminate snacks and reduce staffing requirements. At the same time they include a "new" benefit for a higher level that doesn't add significant cost if they make that level difficult to attain. Perhaps they follow the Diamond Plus model or require a minimum of 50 points. Jut a thought. Remember how Bayley answered the question concerning a new level. Pretty much promised an announcement when he returned to Cruise Critic.

This OP is saying one coupon per person per day. Another poster on the Eclipse TA said two coupons per person per day. Anyone know which it is?

Probably two on one ship, one on the other. Different ships, different policies. Another fine example of Celebrity's consistent inconsistency.

I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

The Celebrity website still lists Elite cocktail lounge and Elite breakfast. Was the Elite breakfast also cancelled? I agree that canceling these benefits with no warning is unacceptable!!!! I can only imagine how unhappy those Elite passengers are!!!!

Can anybody else, currently at sea on a Celebrity cruise verify this? We leave in three weeks for a 27 day b2b and would be very disappointed if this was true. I paid a premium for the right to sail on Celebrity and one of the factors was the evening cocktail parties. Although it's not the only factor I chose Celebrity, but without it, it's not worth the premium. Any other cruises will be looked at alot closer in the future.

I thought the new CEO was going to keep us informed about any changes in the Captain's Club , but I guess not because he knew the backlash from it.

We've been "Elite" for the last six cruises so that should show how much we have thought of Celebrity, and their product, but if the product changes we owe it to ourselves to look elsewhere.

We are on the Equinox TA next month and this is really upsetting to me. They are not delivering what they promised. The Elite happy hour is where we meet new friends and one of the major reasons X had are loyalty. Let them know this is not o.k. after final payment.

Can anybody else, currently at sea on a Celebrity cruise verify this? We leave in three weeks for a 27 day b2b and would be very disappointed if this was true. I paid a premium for the right to sail on Celebrity and one of the factors was the evening cocktail parties. Although it's not the only factor I chose Celebrity, but without it, it's not worth the premium. Any other cruises will be looked at alot closer in the future.

I thought the new CEO was going to keep us informed about any changes in the Captain's Club , but I guess not because he knew the backlash from it.

We've been "Elite" for the last six cruises so that should show how much we have thought of Celebrity, and their product, but if the product changes we owe it to ourselves to look elsewhere.

we are on the equinox in 10 days time and again we have back to back in jan, if this is the case we will not be happy, it is where you meet friends and we look forward to it. Have had no information at all

If it is true it is sad but following the pattern Royal Caribbean started a few years ago. Money is money and it's all about profit. I would settle for the one cocktail a day but honestly, it is a dirty trick. Passengers give their loyalty to a particular cruiseline for years and years and suddenly they take back the prize promised. Royal Caribbean really was the worst offender. We were up to 15 cruises (153 days at sea) and suddenly were relegated to a lonely lounge and the worst wine we've ever drank. Our canapes and snacks became granola dumped on a paper napkin. Most of the other perks were discontinued too. It left a very sour taste in our mouths. I bet the next thing will be no bringing wine on board, the 2 bottles allowed in each cabin.

The problem is simple: Too many Elites on some cruises. What do you do when there are 1000 people entitled to use the Elite Hour and no venue or combination of venues can hold that number?

Solutions:

1. Limit attendence to only Elites. No longer allow people sharing a cabin to attend. Some will yell!

2. Raise the number of points for Elite and don't grandfather people in. People will yell!

3. Create a new level that will get the Elite Hour. People will yell!

4. Eliminate receprocity with RCCL. people will yell!

5. Use coupons. People will yell!

6. Continue as is with packed crowds. People will yell!

Can anyone suggest a way to solve the capacity problem asignificiant number of people won't yell?

Celebrity stock is on a roll after their recent report. Future bookings are stong and prices are rising. Reality is the Celebrity can do whatever they want to do with the Elite program and it won't have a significant impact on their business. Businesses adjust their benefits all the time in order to meet new market conditions. Of couse I too want it all and not willing to pay more to get it, but I live in the real world and know that's unikely, if not impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I like complementary drinks but I will miss the conversations the most. Actually, I learned about Cruise Critic on the Summit while in the Michael's Club

I agree, that is how I heard great things about azamara cruises which we want on last year and loved. Aactually was going to go on Holland American in 2013 but booked on Celebrity because I enjoyed the time we had at M ichael's Club. Knowing that was not available we still signed up because of the drinks with new found friends. This really when we met them. We both very disappointed. It will not be the same and especially since it is a transatlantic cruise.

got off the Summit on Oct 20 this year - we had the cocktail parties and loved it. Would be disappointing to many if it goes away. We enjoyed the drinks, not the canapes, but loved meeting so many other folks during the hour.

Sometimes changes need to be made, but if the problem is too many Elites getting drinks on TAs, then the change could be made effective Jan 1, 2013 (for the spring TAs), not when boarding the ship! As Maggie pointed out, once past final payment, the product promised should be the product delivered.

This is completely unacceptable. I've been on many RC TAs with large numbers of Diamonds where the drink situation was handled very well by using various lounges. The D+s gravitate to the CL, and the Ds are accommodated using portable bars in lounges. It was X that decided to stick with no Elite plus tier, it should be up to them to solve the problem without completely alienating those most loyal to X!

a freebie, a bonus - given to entice customer loyalty. It can be given, changed or taken away based on the best business plan, i.e. making money, this isn't a charity people. I'm only Classic on Celebrity and won't make Select till after our 14 nighter in 2/8/14 so I'm a nobody on Celebrity but are you Elites REALLY going to claim that your loyalty to Celebrity was based on a few perks, free cocktails parties included? REALLY? I'm betting that you all enjoy the more refined clientele, the service, the ships, the ports. I'm of a status on an airline and I often get upgraded to 1st class - but I don't buy my ticket expecting it. For crying out loud it is some free cocktails people! :eek:

a freebie, a bonus - given to entice customer loyalty. It can be given, changed or taken away based on the best business plan, i.e. making money, this isn't a charity people. I'm only Classic on Celebrity and won't make Select till after our 14 nighter in 2/8/14 so I'm a nobody on Celebrity but are you Elites REALLY going to claim that your loyalty to Celebrity was based on a few perks, free cocktails parties included? REALLY? I'm betting that you all enjoy the more refined clientele, the service, the ships, the ports. I'm of a status on an airline and I often get upgraded to 1st class - but I don't buy my ticket expecting it. For crying out loud it is some free cocktails people!:eek:

Not the change on policy, per se, but the change the happens WHEN YOU BOARD. Picture that Veranda cabin you have picked out on your 14 nighter. When you board you find out they needed for a VIP, and now you have an inside plus $400 compensation. Want to sail with a company that does business that way?

If they have to make a change what they should do is cut out the reciprocity between lines. I am not particularly interested in sailing Royal Caribbean and the Diamond status is no incentive for me to book. I have, however, have met quite a few Royal cruisers whose Royal status gives them Elite on X on their first X cruise. Keep the Elite for those who have spent their money on X and I will happily give up my "Diamond after only one cruise" status.

In addition it is not only about a couple of free cocktails it is about meeting a congenial group of people and spreading whatever perk across several bars eliminates the best part of the Elite cocktail hour.

Not the change on policy, per se, but the change the happens WHEN YOU BOARD. Picture that Veranda cabin you have picked out on your 14 nighter. When you board you find out they needed for a VIP, and now you have an inside plus $400 compensation. Want to sail with a company that does business that way?

There is NO WAY to compare your loss of a free cocktail party to a cabin change - this just confirms what I am saying - really?

In addition it is not only about a couple of free cocktails it is about meeting a congenial group of people and spreading whatever perk across several bars eliminates the best part of the Elite cocktail hour.

Perhaps by taking your coupon and getting out there you might mix, mingle and gasp - meet some congenial people who are not Elite. I find this to be hysterical. Does anyone else not get how whiney and trival this all sounds?

Archived