End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

There is NO WAY to compare your loss of a free cocktail party to a cabin change - this just confirms what I am saying - really?

Exactly my point. Obviously, we're talking about a perk here that has no value to you, but may be very important to others.

But change the problem to the loss of your chosen cabin, and your tone indicates you would be all bent out of shape. But, taking your tone, what does it matter, all you would be losing is the view, whats the big deal?

Just talked to Captain's Club and they have not heard a thing!! They think maybe it is a one time situation due to numbers. Policy has not changed as of now and to their knowledge.

Glad that you checked with people who know. There is quite a bit of freedom given to the people on board to make changes as necessary for their cruise. I do believe that this will be a model if and when a new level is created.

If they have to make a change what they should do is cut out the reciprocity between lines. I am not particularly interested in sailing Royal Caribbean and the Diamond status is no incentive for me to book. I have, however, have met quite a few Royal cruisers whose Royal status gives them Elite on X on their first X cruise. Keep the Elite for those who have spent their money on X and I will happily give up my "Diamond after only one cruise" status.

In addition it is not only about a couple of free cocktails it is about meeting a congenial group of people and spreading whatever perk across several bars eliminates the best part of the Elite cocktail hour.

I agree. We have six Royal cruises; and, we would gladly give up our diamond status on that line.

d5480, were you still entitled to the A.M., B.M., at the Elite breakfast? Also,I assume that the voucher was for one drink per person per day; hence, if the wife did not consume alcohol, then the husband would have two free drinks per day, other than the breakfast. All other things being equal, we could handle that regimen.

Don't get me wrong, I like complementary drinks but I will miss the conversations the most. Actually, I learned about Cruise Critic on the Summit while in the Michael's Club

Absolutely agree! Boarding the Reflection in one week and was especially looking forward to conversations with old and new friends in the elite lounge before dinner.

Linda

That it is the company new focus. With the creation of all the new passenger classes, Aqua, Suite and Concierge, that they want you to pay to become "special" and that any passenger can pony up the dough to be so.

Too, many passengers who are not "elite" some how feel rather upset when they are confronted with special...your not good enough or special enough, events; Rubbs the majority of passengers the wrong way... And there are way more of them.

Not the best PR when you are starting out cruising.

Wow, this is sad if it is a precedent. It's certainly not the only reason we sail on Celebrity,but the Elite benefits are a huge part of our loyalty. We have a few cruises planned that we would seriously consider on other lines if we lose the loyalty benefits of sailing on Celebrity.

The elite cocktail party is way more than just free drinks. It's the whole atmosphere, the drinks, the appetizers, the special attention from the senior crew, the music, etc. A couple of coupons doesn't seem like a great trade.

Tom

I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

Are you Elite level on Celebrity? For us, the savings from some of the benefits really helps us afford cruising. And, it's part of what makes Celebrity especially attractive for us. We stayed with Celebrity for many years and many cruises to earn this level because we thought the benefits of "being loyal" really helped us afford a better cruise experience. Why is that whiney? It's certainly not trivial. We figure we save $100's each cruise from the Elite benefits and it keeps us coming back.

If Celebrity starts taking those away then that does diminish our experience somewhat and certainly makes the overall cost less appealing. I don't see how that is trivial? It's sort of like someone invalidating your frequent flyer miles. It's doesn't ruin your life, but it is a benefit you were looking forward to and would feel the loss of if you had to pay extra.

Tom

Perhaps by taking your coupon and getting out there you might mix, mingle and gasp - meet some congenial people who are not Elite. I find this to be hysterical. Does anyone else not get how whiney and trival this all sounds?

We stopped sailing with Holland American because the perks are so much better with Celebrity. I also dont think of the drinks as free. Our last cruise was about $5000 for the room. My next cruise in Jan is $5500 for the room. Somewhere in the cost of the rooms we are paying for the drinks. Richard

My next cruise on Celebrity has a base price of $7,798.00 and I don't feel that I am paying for anything other than a cabin. Do you Elite status people trying to defend a cocktail party not get how silly you sound. So stomp your foot and if you don't get your party - where lets face it, it is all about feeling special (but now there are too many special people) - then you'll just cruise with another line.

Some of you are saying that you love the parties for the chance to meet and talk to others who love to cruise - well there are plently of wonderful, educated, well traveled people out there on the cruise ship for you to meet on any cruise if you get your head out of the clouds.

An airline f.f. program or a cruise line loyalty program - to define yourself by these perks is sad. I admit that I do love first class if I am lucky enough to get bumped up there - but I certainly don't book expecting it and I certainly don't throw a hissy fit if I don't get it.

If (and it is a big if as I believe that the program will change and I love other types of travel as well) that I ever make Elite - I sure hope that I don't end up sounding as snobby and entitled as some of you. Lighten up! Celebrity doesn't owe you anything.

If you chose to criuse another line - go for it - there will always be someone else to take your spot on Celebrity. Just the plain truth of business.

I know this thread will go back and forth between those that attach great. or little, importance to the nightly Elite party, though I'm amused that almost all that consider them trivial have never attended.

The important point, however, is that this change was SPRUNG on the guests on the current Eclipse cruise. Why not start any change to the terms of a cruise at least 90 days out, so that guests can cancel if desired? I have an Equinox TA in 3 weeks, and am not happy if this change is fleetwide, but have no option to make a change at this late date.

In my opinion just a poor business decision.

We don't even go to the Elite party despite being Elite because we buy drink packages, so I don't have a dog in this race. I do think if they are going to make changes though that it would be appropriate to give notice. Even if it's just a caveat that on cruises with X or more number of Elites that this will be the way the situation is handled versus a cocktail party. Then at least everyone has fair warning.

My next cruise on Celebrity has a base price of $7,798.00 and I don't feel that I am paying for anything other than a cabin. Do you Elite status people trying to defend a cocktail party not get how silly you sound. So stomp your foot and if you don't get your party - where lets face it, it is all about feeling special (but now there are too many special people) - then you'll just cruise with another line.

Some of you are saying that you love the parties for the chance to meet and talk to others who love to cruise - well there are plently of wonderful, educated, well traveled people out there on the cruise ship for you to meet on any cruise if you get your head out of the clouds.

An airline f.f. program or a cruise line loyalty program - to define yourself by these perks is sad. I admit that I do love first class if I am lucky enough to get bumped up there - but I certainly don't book expecting it and I certainly don't through a hissy fit if I don't get it.

If (and it is a big if as I believe that the program will change and I love other types of travel as well) that I ever make Elite - I sure hope that I don't end up sounding as snobby and entitled as some of you. Lighten up! Celebrity doesn't owe you anything.

If you chose to criuse another line - go for it - there will always be someone else to take your spot on Celebrity. Just the plain truth of business.

I really do not understand why you are so upset and calling us names when we try to explain our thoughts and reasoning for enjoying the elite perks.We all have different reasons fo cruising Celebrity and one of those reasons is the perks and I don't consider that whining.:eek:

An airline f.f. program or a cruise line loyalty program - to define yourself by these perks is sad. I admit that I do love first class if I am lucky enough to get bumped up there - but I certainly don't book expecting it and I certainly don't throw a hissy fit if I don't get it.

Just think of it as being on welfare and receiving food stamps. If you are used to it, and they take it away from you, you would be upset too. :eek:

I'm not trying to call you names - but I just am not getting how upset/angry people can be when something that was a perk is taken away and lets face it - no one even knows if this is a change or a one time situation. My thoughts though are that from a business standpoint - and it is happening on other lines as well - that times are changing and nothing is set in stone.

Right now people are very upset on the Carnival board. Carnival has a new program called "Faster To The Fun". For a $50.00 PER CABIN fee you get priority boarding AND your cabin is ready up embarkation and your luggage has priority delivery. So they have basically "sold" Plat/Dia. perks to anyone. How would you all feel about that?!

I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. I'm not a mean person, I'm not trying to take anything from anyone - but I'm trying to point out that a cruise line is a business and the bottom line is what will determine policy.

It is not whining to express displeasure at having something you earned taken away from you. Can we "live" without the free drinks? Sure, but it should be told up front that this is not going to be available any longer and not have a customer have it sprung on him once onboard. Tell a kid in school that all kids who get straight A's will get a special field trip. Then after too many kids get straight A's, come back and say, well, too many of you did good so now we are going to just have mickey d's in the cafeteria. Not fair.

If they have to make a change what they should do is cut out the reciprocity between lines. I am not particularly interested in sailing Royal Caribbean and the Diamond status is no incentive for me to book. I have, however, have met quite a few Royal cruisers whose Royal status gives them Elite on X on their first X cruise. Keep the Elite for those who have spent their money on X

Have been saying this since the beginning.... reciprocity can only lead to the problems that are arising, especially on TA's. Next thing you know the breakfast will be gone too.

Just think of it as being on welfare and receiving food stamps. If you are used to it, and they take it away from you, you would be upset too. :eek:

::Temporarily Hijacking::

Wine-o, I hope you guys weather Sandy ok there on the Jersey Shore :)

::We now return to the regularly scheduled discussion::

One drink (each) was all we ever had in an evening. In fact – a few nights, my drink was club soda.

This "drink coupon" may be better for those who travel with friends/family who are not yet Elite. That way – you can all enjoy a drink together.

The comments about “missing the conversation in the Elite cocktail hour” are a hoot. Just strike up a conversation with anyone at any bar/venue. Most cruise passengers are incredibility friendly and open to meeting new people.

M

Archived