End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

This discussion is very interesting. Perhaps the Captain's Club should step back in time and reinstate the fee too join. When they eliminated the charge there was a great hue and cry here on CC. We could see this day coming when membership was open to all and meant nothing :rolleyes:. Augusta National, listen up!

As far as I am reading from what I hear on board, its due to numbers and it sounds like it might be thee vouchers each

How is that an official response from the ship? Can you share your source if they are official please?

I think this is a great idea - I have been an Eilte for sometime now and quite frankly find the cocktail parties stuffy and overcrowded. A room full of entitlement where the conversations are nothing more than bragging rights of "how many cruises have you been on". It you don't get there and stand in line an hour before the doors open you can forget getting a seat...you think saving chairs at the pool is an issue! The drinks aren't all that great and service can be very slow given the number of people. I'll gladly take a free drink voucher and use it at my discretion. If they want to create a new level for those that have 100+ cruises or whatever then that is fine with me too. I have now submerged myself in a special cruise ship flame retardant chemical. LOL

We're on the Solstice Dubai to Singapore cruise in 12 days. As this is a reunion cruise, I expect there will be lots of Elites?

Wonder if the same will apply, with too many Elites onboard for the cocktail hour?

I hope they aren't all clogging up my Martini bar, waving their coupons ;)

ps I am only joking :eek:

I think this is a great idea - I have been an Eilte for sometime now and quite frankly find the cocktail parties stuffy and overcrowded. A room full of entitlement where the conversations are nothing more than bragging rights of "how many cruises have you been on".

I've been to a few Elite Happy Hours and thankfully haven't run into any of these types. If I did I'd walk away pretty quickly! LOL The crowding in the Sky Lounge is a different matter. This has put me off in the past and rather than a social function it's more of a bun fight.

Phil

I don't think you need to worry as the vouchers aren't good for the Martini Bar. If only I could go there with a coupon for my Stoli Elit ;)

Phil

I had to google Stoli Elit.

From About.com cocktails:

'Tasting Notes:

Stoli Elit has a clean, rich and grainy aroma that leads to a warm and silky entry. This melds into a palate of citrus, warm caramel and grainy notes. The finish is delicate, quick and warm. Overall a fine Russian vodka and one of the smoothest available in most any market.'

Expensive tastes excitedofharpenden :cool:

i am onboard the eclipse TA. There was no elite party or coupons the first night, as expected. For the second night, we received two coupons per person, and last night we received 3 coupons per person. good at any bar except the martini bar, the wine dispenser bar or the molecular bar. Two coupons was unacceptable to us...I have to think about 3 coupons.

What I find more annoying is that a) they knew about this far in advance...they always have 800 elites on TA's...this is our third. But I lost it when they scheduled trivial persuit and name that tune in the sky lounge right in the middle of the elite party time. It's cold outside, so there are no outside bars that are useable. The sky lounge is the only place you can sit and have a view...and they have filled it with an activity so we lose that venue. Just poor planning and as expected now, poor communicatioins with passengers.

I willl be meeting with the head of guest service later today or tomorrow to discuss....and I expect nothing at all to be done because apparently celebrity hq is involved which is the kiss of death for getting changes made. Hopefully the other cc members on board will also express their displeasure.

One reason I like celebrity is that I'm comfortable with their ships and their systems. This cruise seems like an experiment....no luggage tags, changed elite party with limitations.....what's next on this cruise and what's next on our next booked cruises....which may get cancelled unless celebrity starts to have some consistency again.

I had to google Stoli Elit.

From About.com cocktails:

'Tasting Notes:

Stoli Elit has a clean, rich and grainy aroma that leads to a warm and silky entry. This melds into a palate of citrus, warm caramel and grainy notes. The finish is delicate, quick and warm. Overall a fine Russian vodka and one of the smoothest available in most any market.'

Expensive tastes excitedofharpenden :cool:

Stoli Elit

I need to remember that one... have to try it...

The new policy spreads the happy hour buzz all over the ship.

I like the idea. Conversation comes with the buzz.

Will it mean the end of dress codes for a free drink? Say "yes".

les

Have to agree with you - great news for us. I would love to have the voucher option - it would be so much easier. We always do late dining and it really interrupts the afternoon having to be showered and dressed by 5/6pm if we want to enjoy our complimentary drink in recognition of our loyalty to Celebrity. We also have a 19 year old son, who is elite and received an invite to the elite drinks, but the same invitation stated over 21's only. He was allowed in no problem but this would prevent this area of confusion for us. How about they ask guests to choose, in the same way you choose your dining option, whether you want vouchers or a party invite? Just a thought and it would help on cruises where there are lots of elites.

I think this occurrence was due to the number of Elites on board. I think the majority of transatlantic cruisers are elite, judging by the ones I have been on. The lounge is overly busy and it's often impossible to find a seat.

I expect the original intent of the lounge was for people to drop by for one drink before dinner, and that's what many people do. Of course, there are also those who stand in line waiting for the lounge to open, and pound back as many drinks as they can for two straight hours.

I love the coupon idea. I'd much prefer a coupon I could use at any bar at any time (and it would be fabulous if you had the option to use the coupon for a gelato or cappuccino instead). I would think a coupon would make much more sense for the cruise line as well, spreading the workload around the ship, and those who want a drink just before dinner could easily do it, rather than complain that the lounge hours don't work for their schedule.

As for the poster who mentioned the possibility of two or even three coupons per night, that sounds very generous and I'd be thrilled with that option, even if the martini bar is exempt.

Either way, I'm grateful for the Elite perks, and was happy to cruise with Celebrity before I had the perks. Changes to their program likely won't change my loyalty, as other than Azamara, I haven't cruised with another line I enjoy as much.

Has it been determined or confirmed by Celebrity that this is a new policy? OR - Is this a one time situation for this sailing?

Thanks, M

Read post #55. From a very reliable poster. I'm repeating what I've said in prior posts: This appears to be a special case where the number of Elites exceeded the capacity of space available. Adjustments like this are made from time to time.

hoping this is true that it is only changed due to circumstances...

they could have broken the party into two sessions--shorter parrty for first & then second seating guests...???

I drink cola but enjoy the party on several evenings during the cruise ---more fun than sitting at a bar

one problem is that no one knows who to ask in celebrity hq to find out if this is a new policy. If you call and ask, you will get many different answers so maybe host andy will be able to get something definitive.

I forgot to mention that the coupons are for the same limited set of drinks on the elite party list...they are not good on any drink.

Finally, stoli elit is also my favorite vodka and the only drink bargain on the celebrity ships. It is available in most bars if you ask....it is not only available in the martini bar.

Things I have learned from this thread:

1.Celebrity has two day cruises? why, and where do they go? Is it just a booze cruise?

2. Long time Celebrity cruisers actually stand in a line before 5pm to get into a free two hour cocktail party?

Interesting....

The reason could be too many Elites on this sailing to cope with and not a Capts Club policy change.....also it is a TA..:confused:

It may well be that the reason is too many Elites on board, but not because of lack of space. we were on Silhouette for a 12-night out of Port Liberty last December and there were HUNDREDS of Elites on that sailing. Instead of using Michael's Club the staff used the Sky Lounge, the largest bar on the ship. It didn't feel very Elite in that huge expanse, but at least Celebrity made good on one of the most popular loyalty amenities. I'm on Eclispe in February for 2 weeks and I'll be plenty ticked off if that very relaxing and fun loyalty amenity is gone.

David

So you are going to take time out of a fun, relaxing vacation to "meet" with the head of guest relations to b---- over getting free drinks. Are you going to gather the troops in the theatre to protest as well and threaten to never sail on Celebrity again, only to book 2 more cruises while on board. Geez people life is tooooooo short!

This is a transatlantic crossing with eight sea days. I think I can find time in my busy schedule to express a frequent cruiser's opinion to someone almost at a level to give feedback to hq. Too many just say 'oh well, it is what it is" or they complain here and never let celebrity know of their feelings. If I'm unhappy about something, I think it's helpful to let celebrity know...otherwise they think everything they try is wonderful.

The cruise cancellation statement is something we were vascillating on...and our start of this cruise hasn't tilted the decision in the "keep the cruises" side.....so we will probably just cancel them. No, we won't be booking any new cruises on this cruise, unless we find some great deal on an azamara cruise.

This discussion is very interesting. Perhaps the Captain's Club should step back in time and reinstate the fee too join. When they eliminated the charge there was a great hue and cry here on CC. We could see this day coming when membership was open to all and meant nothing :rolleyes:. Augusta National, listen up!
Very good idea, we first joined when it cost $25. and thought it was well worth it.Send it to corporate.:cool:

It may well be that the reason is too many Elites on board, but not because of lack of space. we were on Silhouette for a 12-night out of Port Liberty last December and there were HUNDREDS of Elites on that sailing. Instead of using Michael's Club the staff used the Sky Lounge, the largest bar on the ship. It didn't feel very Elite in that huge expanse, but at least Celebrity made good on one of the most popular loyalty amenities. I'm on Eclispe in February for 2 weeks and I'll be plenty ticked off if that very relaxing and fun loyalty amenity is gone.

David

The problem is on Westbound TAs where you may get 1000 Elites. I've been on with 600-700 Elites and they can handle that (although many do complain), but 1000 is another matter. People who haven't actually experienced the crowd are not in a position to know. Appears to me that the Staff is trying to make the best of a very difficult situation and no matter what they do many who feel that they're not getting what they believe they're entitled too will complain.

Jane2357,

It isn't about free drinks or being snobby. I don't drink alcohol at all, and my wife might have a glass of wine. Snob? Look at my avatar.

In a few weeks we are sailing with 5 other couples who we previously met on various cruises. We all specifically chose this cruise to enable us to have a reunion. One of the anticipated highlights is our daily get together for the Elite happy hour.

Those who only care about booze might think of the gatherings only as a cocktail party, but for us it is about a special time of the day with old friends and a chance to make new ones.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Well said Bob/Phyl!! (It's been a long time, hope all is well with you two)

I think this occurrence was due to the number of Elites on board. I think the majority of transatlantic cruisers are elite, judging by the ones I have been on. The lounge is overly busy and it's often impossible to find a seat.

I expect the original intent of the lounge was for people to drop by for one drink before dinner, and that's what many people do. Of course, there are also those who stand in line waiting for the lounge to open, and pound back as many drinks as they can for two straight hours.

I love the coupon idea. I'd much prefer a coupon I could use at any bar at any time (and it would be fabulous if you had the option to use the coupon for a gelato or cappuccino instead). I would think

coupon would make much more sense for the cruise line as well, spreading the workload around the ship, and those who want a drink just before dinner could easily do it, rather than complain that the lounge hours don't work for their schedule.

As for the poster who mentioned the possibility of two or even three coupons per night, that sounds very generous and I'd be thrilled with that option, even if the martini bar is exempt.

Either way, I'm grateful for the Elite perks, and was happy to cruise with Celebrity before I had the perks. Changes to their program likely won't change my loyalty, as other than Azamara, I haven't cruised with another line I enjoy as much.

I have to agree with you here. Last TA I was on you could not move in the room. Our small group decided to just skip the event altogether.

Offering 2 or 3 coupons sounds like a good alternative WHEN the Elite numbers are too great.

Archived