End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

Orator, you do realize what they call that on a ship at sea don't you???

They'd hang you mutineers from the yardarm, or in the case of an S-Class, over the Sunset Bar. That way we can all sit and watch you wiggle a bit while sipping the drink of the day using our coupon! Neat!!!

One good thing about getting a coupon instead of a social hr is I can go to most of the bars, slap that baby down and in my most Elite and Snobby tone if voice let all the 'little people' know I'm having a free drink...at their expense. What could be more lovely??

Much easier than my normal habit of siding up next to someone and asking them if they want I'll tell them a sea story if they buy me a drink. Or of course waiting for them to turn their heads and walking off with their drink. Either one works great.

Den

Funny! :D

I think you should wear Elite badges so us little people can shove you all out of the way, seeing as we are paying with real money ;)

And another thing..... no sharing coupons you lot! Unless you happen to be sat next to me, then you can :)

I was thinking the exact same thing.. about the occupy thing.. It would be hilarious if a thousand Elite cruisers decided to gather at the same bar at the same time. It would drive security nuts. Which is why we shouldn't....

The reason they have to abandon the Sky Lounge is first and foremost for security reasons. Of course they will probably save a big buck on handing out vouchers instead, but every area on the ship is cleared for a specific number of people, which is NOT to be exceeded at any time. This is for safety reasons. ...still... I'm a little sad that the Sky Lounge on the Reflection is about half the size from any other Solstice class ship, because it means that even if this is a one time thing, just because there were too many Elites, then the voucher solution risk being a permanent solution for the Reflection. I'm on the Reflection in three weeks, for the TA, and I'm getting ready for the vouchers. But I'd still like to at least see ONE Elite party now that my 4 Celebrity cruises and tens of thousands of dollars finally earned me the right to attend the party.. I was looking forward to this..

I'm sure the "coupon system" is because of the huge number of Elites on those Trans Atlantic's and I'm with you. I really look forward to the happy hour thingy and it be a drag if Celebrity had to go voucher.

I'm a little sad that the Sky Lounge on the Reflection is about half the size from any other Solstice class ship, because it means that even if this is a one time thing, just because there were too many Elites, then the voucher solution risk being a permanent solution for the Reflection. I'm on the Reflection in three weeks, for the TA, and I'm getting ready for the vouchers. But I'd still like to at least see ONE Elite party now that my 4 Celebrity cruises and tens of thousands of dollars finally earned me the right to attend the party...

I didn't realize that the Sky Lounge on Reflection is half the size as the other Celebrity ships. They knew there was a problem as soon as they started construction.

The issue is the bottom line, otherwise they could use multiple lounges or stagger the event.

Am in favor of a one/two drink coupon system.

Have seen way to much abuse of the free liquor bonanza as it now exists.

The new policy if enacted will be a plus for all.

Were you monitoring how many drinks your fellow Elites consumed ? How many is abusing? :confused:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but please don't include us in calling it a "plus for all" if they were to go to coupons. :)

Doesn't anyone think the coupon system could end up costing Celebrity more?

What percentage of Elites actually attend the daily party? Anyone know?

Not all I'm sure.

By giving coupons to all Elites it will cost more surely? :confused:

Not all I'm sure.

Den: Hope you salute my demise with Ginger Ale.

Think that coupons in the long run would save money for reasons I stated earlier. Sure, some people who currently don't attend probably will line up for the free drink;however, another group of people who do attend might not want to stand in long lines for a drink. Might balance out. Many like to just find a seat and have someone bring them a drink. Standing in line might not be an option for them. As the line from the old song goes: "Whatever will be, will be".

Just looking, in a theoretical way, at the idea of using the coupon system as a method of "cost control"...I wonder if they are requiring people to produce their Seapass card to prove their Elite status when using the coupons?

We do not go to most of the "happy hours" because we usually cruise with a series of friends, who, up until now, have not been Elite. When we do attend, I will have one drink at most, and DH might have a second...which got me to thinking... If Celebrity provides three drink coupons per person, and does not require ID, might they actually be increasing their costs? Might people who wouldn't normally have more than one drink be inclined to share their coupons with non-Elite friends, which would result in a higher level of "uptake" of the benefit.

Also, when we are travelling with non-Elite friends, we are out in the ship's bars before dinner, paying for our drinks, so not only are we not consuming the "free drinks", but we are paying for drinks as well.

Just thinkin' :).

Am in favor of a one/two drink coupon system.

Have seen way to much abuse of the free liquor bonanza as it now exists.

The new policy if enacted will be a plus for all.

Please speak for your self, we find it very very disappointing that they may turn this to vouchers

I didn't realize that the Sky Lounge on Reflection is half the size as the other Celebrity ships. They knew there was a problem as soon as they started construction.

The issue is the bottom line, otherwise they could use multiple lounges or stagger the event.

The new Reflection Suites take up a lot of the space that was once the Sky Lounge.

I have been following this thread and haven't posted because truthfully, we don't go to most of the 5-7's. We do enjoy the breakfasts, though.

One recent post really got to me. Someone mentioned waiting in a long line with the voucher. That doesn't sound very appealing to me! You can't get more "mass market" than that!

We are Elite for the last 4 cruises. But because of the health issues I couldn't drink alcohol and was having only OJ during Elite Hour. I don't care about OJ somewhere at the Bar. Elite Hour for me is a big Event, something that makes me special and recognized by being a loyal Celebrity customer. A coupon for me is like a food stamp program.

Not all I'm sure.

You may be right... doesn't matter though because I'm 99% sure that it's a temporarily thing for the TAs with hundreds of Elites aboard.

I would like the switch to the coupons. That way I could get a drink when and where I want. Not a fan of the big gatherings, We normally don't go because a free drink is not worth the crowds.

I know others like the Happy Hour and that is great. I am not asking for a change but if it is changed I'd be Happy.

It wasn't long ago that people were complaining about the hours of the event. Now they give you a few free drinks that you can use anytime you want and people are still complaining. I don't get it.

Duane

`

I feel the change (if it happens) is due to the numbers of Elite's and overcrowded venues and not so much cost savings/expense.

Are you the same "Bear Mountain Christine" who sent Sandy the beautiful alpaca sweater from the Andes? There can't be a huge number of Christines (all Elites) living on Bear Mountain.

Cheers, Bill

`

Are you the same "Bear Mountain Christine" who sent Sandy the beautiful alpaca sweater from the Andes? There can't be a huge number of Christines (all Elites) living on Bear Mountain.

Cheers, Bill

It is I:D You and Sandy gave us so much help on our SA cruise that it was a pleasure to get the sweater for her. The Arica tour that you recommended was exceptional and I now wish I had bought a couple more of those beautiful sweaters!

Jane - trust me you will never win this battle! As I stated earlier the happy hour functions are really a joke. You have hundreds of Elites, a large majority with a sense of entitlement, they start forming a line outside the lounge doors an hour before it is to open to be sure they get a chair (and to save chairs for their friends) - but of course you can't save pool chairs..hmm! After hello the first question is usually "how many cruises have you been on" - who cares! Because of the crowds it can be difficult to get a drink, so many people start gripeing about that and honestly the drinks really aren't that good. So many people are making such a stink about the getting together with friends more so than the free drinks...well the ship has lots of little places you can create your own get together and it will probably be less crowded. I for one love the voucher idea! Oh and for the record - Yes I am an Elite and have been for years so I do have a dog in the hunt. And I am still wearing my flame retardant suit.
We have been elite for several years and enjoyed HH on different ships Solstice and others. Very seldom is there a line of people waiting to get in, no on ever has asked us how many cruises we have been on and have never had a problem getting a drink.The only question always asked is where are you from.Forced to disagree with your percepion of HH. We love it, thank you very much Celebrity.:cool:

It is I:D You and Sandy gave us so much help on our SA cruise that it was a pleasure to get the sweater for her. The Arica tour that you recommended was exceptional and I now wish I had bought a couple more of those beautiful sweaters!

You last name on our email list caused me to wonder. If Sandy did not sleep nude, she would probably wear that sweater to bed! :eek: We are in process of ordering Rogers Victoria cremes gift boxes to give as gifts on our Asia cruise. Sandy wants to order very early so that she will have to order again closer to the cruise. :p Again, many thanks for the beautiful sweater!

Warmest regards, Bill

.....If Sandy did not sleep nude, she would probably wear that sweater to bed!....

And here posters are saying all we talk about at the Elite socials is how many cruises we have gone on! Boy, next social, make sure you invite me to join your conversation. I won't interject, just listen in!

Den

You last name on our email list caused me to wonder. If Sandy did not sleep nude, she would probably wear that sweater to bed!

Warmest regards, Bill

Wow. I'm sure that Sandy is happy that you've given many of us a good chuckle today. Just what many of used needed. Maybe a little more info than any of us need but great to hear how exuberant she was with her gift of a sweater. :-)

I had to google Stoli Elit.

From About.com cocktails:

'Tasting Notes:

Stoli Elit has a clean, rich and grainy aroma that leads to a warm and silky entry. This melds into a palate of citrus, warm caramel and grainy notes. The finish is delicate, quick and warm. Overall a fine Russian vodka and one of the smoothest available in most any market.'

Expensive tastes excitedofharpenden :cool:

Yeah, but Phil is worth it:D

Jane - trust me you will never win this battle! As I stated earlier the happy hour functions are really a joke. You have hundreds of Elites, a large majority with a sense of entitlement, they start forming a line outside the lounge doors an hour before it is to open to be sure they get a chair (and to save chairs for their friends) - but of course you can't save pool chairs..hmm! After hello the first question is usually "how many cruises have you been on" - who cares! Because of the crowds it can be difficult to get a drink, so many people start gripeing about that and honestly the drinks really aren't that good. So many people are making such a stink about the getting together with friends more so than the free drinks...well the ship has lots of little places you can create your own get together and it will probably be less crowded. I for one love the voucher idea! Oh and for the record - Yes I am an Elite and have been for years so I do have a dog in the hunt. And I am still wearing my flame retardant suit.

Two thumbs up :D.

I guess that is your experience. Ours has been very different. The few times we showed up a short time before it started, we'd see a few waiting for it to begin and since I (and I bet you) have never been there an hr or even 15min before, I cant believe any line had formed. When stepping in 20 or 30min after it started, we always found a place to sit and many times joined a new group and never experienced the 'saved seats'.

And yes, have asked as an icebreaker about previous cruise experience, but just because we'd obviously have that in common. Much better than the 'and what do you do for a living?' question don't you think? The conversations would evolve from there.

Our experiences have been overall very positive. If we go on a cruise that uses coupons, we'll enjoy that quite well, but if given the choice, I'll with the social time.

Den

Archived