End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

What if you were told that your FF program allowed you to be upgraded to first class on each flight and every flight after that, you were in first class. Then one day you get to the airport and are told that it doesn't work that way any more. Now you're back in the main cabin. Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "okay"? Really? Don't you think it would have been nice if they told you in advance? Wouldn't you have liked to know before you paid for the trip?

I've got to tell you right now that I'm too cheap to pay for a 1st class airline ticket and not many people do. A few yes but most people you see in first class got bumped up there. Would it change who I booked with - no because it was a FREEBIE. Here is the more likely change for a FF program - say that right now I can book a free round trip using 40,000 miles that I have accrued - now they change it to 60,000 miles for the same trip. I'm not going to love that but hey - I'm still getting something FOR FREE for those miles. Just like on this TA, there are drink coupons - the difference is that the person might have to use them mixed in with non-elite cruisers.

My only point in this is that ff program, hotel points, cruise loyalty program - it is all about business. Be thankful for what you do get and know that at any time - it can come, go or change.

It does say "Subject to change without prior notice." on the terms and agreement page. Of course that doesn't always make people thrilled with losing benefits ...

:rolleyes:

Tom

And Happy Sails to you to from a gal married to a WVUFAN herself!!! Married myself a W.V. fella!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just pointing out that any cruise line is a business and nothing sets these loyalty programs in stone. I'm not snobby - I prefer to cruise Celebrity but most of my friends can only afford Carnival - guess what - good times - no matter where I might be.

d5480, were you still entitled to the A.M., B.M., at the Elite breakfast? Also,I assume that the voucher was for one drink per person per day; hence, if the wife did not consume alcohol, then the husband would have two free drinks per day, other than the breakfast. All other things being equal, we could handle that regimen.

The morning BM at the Elite Breakfast? Eww, I'm going to be at the Elite level next Feb but don't think I want to participate in that.:o:eek:

The problem is simple: Too many Elites on some cruises. What do you do when there are 1000 people entitled to use the Elite Hour and no venue or combination of venues can hold that number?

Solutions:

They should have thought of this when they created the program. We know multiple people who continued on Celebrity (instead of other cruise lines such as HAL) because it was easy to attain Elite level. They have the right to change their program, but should give notice and not make the change for anyone who has already made final payment.

My next cruise on Celebrity has a base price of $7,798.00 and I don't feel that I am paying for anything other than a cabin. Do you Elite status people trying to defend a cocktail party not get how silly you sound.....Some of you are saying that you love the parties for the chance to meet and talk to others who love to cruise - well there are plently of wonderful, educated, well traveled people out there on the cruise ship for you to meet on any cruise if you get your head out of the clouds.

Jane2357, I understand what you are getting at a bit, but I find it odd you feel you need to mention how much you are paying for your criuse, and then how 'silly' and 'snobby' these Elites are sounding. Personally, I enjoy the few free drinks, and meeting others with something in common, cruising and usually with Celebrity. The Happy Hr is a time to meet up and talk, and if/when you ever go to one, you'll find that it is a social that the participants are more open to sitting down at empty seats at a table with others and striking up conversations....the classic, 'so you like Celebrtiiy!'. the 'party' allows many people to more easily socialize and meet new people...kind of lilke a cruisecritic social. You all have a common subject.

Yes, have met and started conversations with people at the Buffet or another lounge and so on, but it so much easier at this event.

We've met a number of very interesting people at these events and according to the recent posts, this was a one-timer probably due to the very large number of Elites on that particular cruise. We are about to take the Refllection E Med followed by a TA shortly, and with the smaller Sky Lounge, we may be facing the same.....we'll see. We will survive just fine, but without this event, we will miss out on meeting up with people and a place we can use to say, see you at the happy hour tomorrow or whatever

Den

Is a train heading for you. People who were excited to be able to buy special elite/ select/privilege level cabins and putting in special classes of passeners should have seen the writing on the wall. Stuff like special members only resauraunts, lounges... was the start and people went for it with hard cash...

Elite is now going to cost you $$$ and is available to anyone with the desire and dollars.

So... why give away what your selling!

Airlines too have been eroding the programs as they built too large a group of frequent flyers.... so this is not new. A year ago 2 free bags, this year 1, a year ago up grade at time of booking, then 48 hours then day of the flight.... Too many rats in the box. The cruise ships will follow.

What if you were told that your FF program allowed you to be upgraded to first class on each flight and every flight after that, you were in first class. Then one day you get to the airport and are told that it doesn't work that way any more. Now you're back in the main cabin. Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "okay"? Really? Don't you think it would have been nice if they told you in advance? Wouldn't you have liked to know before you paid for the trip?

I would shrug it off

Personally, we cruise Celebrity 3-4 times a year and each time we leave a comment hoping that they offer an alternative of a coupon for a drink per day that can be used at any lounge on our time frame.

For us, we have late seating. Drinking from 5-7pm is not an option when you eat at 8:30pm. That would mean getting showered and dressed up hours before dinner and we do not need to be doing a 3 hour cocktail hour each night.

We tend to go to the the martini bar each night around 7:30 and meet tons of fun new people each night.

In addition, we often travel with those who are not elite, so the elite lounge is not an option.

Just my opinion and hope that this is true.... Especially as we board Reflection on 11/4 for a 27 day back to back, this would be great!

I respect your opinion, but I hope that this is not true :)We are also sailing on the Reflection for the 27th nights back to Miami. We enjoy the cocktail hours not only because of the drinks. We met many people during those events, which to my opinion are different than going to a bar to meet people. We are not bar goers...

I'm not trying to call you names - but I just am not getting how upset/angry people can be when something that was a perk is taken away and lets face it - no one even knows if this is a change or a one time situation. My thoughts though are that from a business standpoint - and it is happening on other lines as well - that times are changing and nothing is set in stone.

Right now people are very upset on the Carnival board. Carnival has a new program called "Faster To The Fun". For a $50.00 PER CABIN fee you get priority boarding AND your cabin is ready up embarkation and your luggage has priority delivery. So they have basically "sold" Plat/Dia. perks to anyone. How would you all feel about that?!

I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. I'm not a mean person, I'm not trying to take anything from anyone - but I'm trying to point out that a cruise line is a business and the bottom line is what will determine policy.

I do believe your jealous of those who have EARNED this perk. And your rude too.

They should have thought of this when they created the program. We know multiple people who continued on Celebrity (instead of other cruise lines such as HAL) because it was easy to attain Elite level. They have the right to change their program, but should give notice and not make the change for anyone who has already made final payment.

Agree on all points. From past conversations with some "in the know" I don't believe that the folks at Celebrity who developed the program ever thought it would be so successful in attracting passengers. Guess we can say that it Xceeded Expectations.

Jane2357, I understand what you are getting at a bit, but I find it odd you feel you need to mention how much you are paying for your criuse, and then how 'silly' and 'snobby' these Elites are sounding. Personally, I enjoy the few free drinks, and meeting others with something in common, cruising and usually with Celebrity. The Happy Hr is a time to meet up and talk, and if/when you ever go to one, you'll find that it is a social that the participants are more open to sitting down at empty seats at a table with others and striking up conversations....the classic, 'so you like Celebrtiiy!'. the 'party' allows many people to more easily socialize and meet new people...kind of lilke a cruisecritic social. You all have a common subject.

Yes, have met and started conversations with people at the Buffet or another lounge and so on, but it so much easier at this event.

We've met a number of very interesting people at these events and according to the recent posts, this was a one-timer probably due to the very large number of Elites on that particular cruise. We are about to take the Refllection E Med followed by a TA shortly, and with the smaller Sky Lounge, we may be facing the same.....we'll see. We will survive just fine, but without this event, we will miss out on meeting up with people and a place we can use to say, see you at the happy hour tomorrow or whatever

Den

I agree Den. Hopefully we will be able to meet you and others on board during the elite event.

Den

Den - I only mentioned the cost of my cabin in reply to someone who mentioned theirs and that they expected that it included free drinks. Trust you me - this next Celebrity Cruise is a SPLURGE. My 1st suite - and I'm not embarrassed to say it. I'm a frugal type person coming from a less than middle class childhood. I was fortunate with my adult life and now can afford better but we are not rich. You sound like a very down to earth type person and I don't want you to not have what you thought you would get BUT on the other hand you and your free drink might end up next to me some night and I'd love to chat with you and yours and who knows we might just say "see you here tomorrow night". I'm all about people expanding their horizons! Cruise On!

Agree on all points. From past conversations with some "in the know" I don't believe that the folks at Celebrity who developed the program ever thought it would be so successful in attracting passengers. Guess we can say that it Xceeded Expectations.

Good one.

How about if you could take your drink tickets and have your cocktail anywhere on the ship including a designated Captain's Club cocktail area in the Sky Lounge or wherever?

The Captain's Club Hostess would meet and greet, snacks would still be available, mini perfomances from the a capella group and other entertainers would happen on occasion as would impromptu visits with the officers mingling with guests.

How about if you could take your drink tickets and have your cocktail anywhere on the ship including a designated Captain's Club cocktail area in the Sky Lounge or wherever?

The Captain's Club Hostess would meet and greet, snacks would still be available, mini perfomances from the a capella group and other entertainers would happen on occasion as would impromptu visits with the officers mingling with guests.

Options are always good Blue Lagoon. I guess in such a way many of us would be happy with the different options:)

Let's look at some facts:

The TA cruises have more Elites than can be handled in the largest venue. The staff in charge on board have the authority to make adjustments that are needed for their cruise. An adjustment has in fact been made on ships that had extremely large numbers of Elites. A very reliable poster took time to check with Captain's Club and reported that there are no changes to the Loyalty program. What we have is a special situation that's being handled in the most reasonable way possible. A farmer friend once told me that "You can't carry 2 tons of s@@@ in a one ton truck". Not exactly the same, but you get the idea when it comes to seating or standing capacity.

If they have to make a change what they should do is cut out the reciprocity between lines. I am not particularly interested in sailing Royal Caribbean and the Diamond status is no incentive for me to book. I have, however, have met quite a few Royal cruisers whose Royal status gives them Elite on X on their first X cruise. Keep the Elite for those who have spent their money on X and I will happily give up my "Diamond after only one cruise" status.

In addition it is not only about a couple of free cocktails it is about meeting a congenial group of people and spreading whatever perk across several bars eliminates the best part of the Elite cocktail hour.

Well you won't have to worry about this D+ RCI cruiser getting into your space when I'm on the Reflection. We very seldom step foot in the Concierge lounge during cocktail time on RCI due to crowds. People get there at 5:00 and plant their behind in a chair sucking down as much cheap booze as they can while trying to one up every other person with how many RCI cruises they have taken along with who knows the most staff and crew members. Not my idea of relaxing but I must admit that it did provide a good bit of amusement the few times that we have gone. We will enjoy a few drinks in our cabin/balcony and then find a nice "quiet" bar to "pay" for our drinks.

.....You sound like a very down to earth type person and I don't want you to not have what you thought you would get BUT on the other hand you and your free drink might end up next to me some night and I'd love to chat with you and yours and who knows we might just say "see you here tomorrow night". I'm all about people expanding their horizons! Cruise On!

Sounds like it would be a perfect outcome of getting a freebee drinkcard instead of the social event!! Heck, even if they have the Elite social, I'd love to meet up and enjoy talking.....but you've got to realize me being an Old Salt, I'll try to get you to buy the round!!

Enjoy your cruise, and loved your response..I was a bit edgy and your's was classy!

Den

We board the Millennium on Friday, our first Celebrity cruise as Elite. We were looking forward to the Elite cocktail party, both for the free drinks and an opportunity to meet others. If they are offering coupons on our cruise I will be disappointed that we will not get to experience the Elite evening event at least for one cruise. But the coupon idea would also work for us. I assume it would be possible to get your drink and then take it away with you, something you could not do from the Elite event. Then, one could take the drink back to the cabin and enjoy it while getting ready for the show, or supper.

We board the Millennium on Friday, our first Celebrity cruise as Elite. We were looking forward to the Elite cocktail party, both for the free drinks and an opportunity to meet others. If they are offering coupons on our cruise I will be disappointed that we will not get to experience the Elite evening event at least for one cruise. But the coupon idea would also work for us. I assume it would be possible to get your drink and then take it away with you, something you could not do from the Elite event. Then, one could take the drink back to the cabin and enjoy it while getting ready for the show, or supper.

A very astute observation.

Personally, we cruise Celebrity 3-4 times a year and each time we leave a comment hoping that they offer an alternative of a coupon for a drink per day that can be used at any lounge on our time frame.

For us, we have late seating. Drinking from 5-7pm is not an option when you eat at 8:30pm. That would mean getting showered and dressed up hours before dinner and we do not need to be doing a 3 hour cocktail hour each night.

We tend to go to the the martini bar each night around 7:30 and meet tons of fun new people each night.

In addition, we often travel with those who are not elite, so the elite lounge is not an option.

Just my opinion and hope that this is true.... Especially as we board Reflection on 11/4 for a 27 day back to back, this would be great!

I agree with your point about late diners, however thiscould be easily solved by going to the same hours as RC, ie. run the lounge until 8:30, which also is a great help to the crowding problem.

If I thought that the coupons would only be used on TAs, I could see that, as I know they have a problem. However, why mess up the situation on shorter cruises, where you may only have 20-30 showing up, and many new friendships are made by seeing the same people each night.

my next cruise on celebrity has a base price of $7,798.00 and i don't feel that i am paying for anything other than a cabin. Do you elite status people trying to defend a cocktail party not get how silly you sound. So stomp your foot and if you don't get your party - where lets face it, it is all about feeling special (but now there are too many special people) - then you'll just cruise with another line.

Some of you are saying that you love the parties for the chance to meet and talk to others who love to cruise - well there are plently of wonderful, educated, well traveled people out there on the cruise ship for you to meet on any cruise if you get your head out of the clouds.

An airline f.f. Program or a cruise line loyalty program - to define yourself by these perks is sad. I admit that i do love first class if i am lucky enough to get bumped up there - but i certainly don't book expecting it and i certainly don't throw a hissy fit if i don't get it.

If (and it is a big if as i believe that the program will change and i love other types of travel as well) that i ever make elite - i sure hope that i don't end up sounding as snobby and entitled as some of you. Lighten up! Celebrity doesn't owe you anything.

If you chose to criuse another line - go for it - there will always be someone else to take your spot on celebrity. Just the plain truth of business.

a.h.!!!!!!!!

Archived