End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

Sometimes changes need to be made, but if the problem is too many Elites getting drinks on TAs, then the change could be made effective Jan 1, 2013 (for the spring TAs), not when boarding the ship! As Maggie pointed out, once past final payment, the product promised should be the product delivered.

This is completely unacceptable. I've been on many RC TAs with large numbers of Diamonds where the drink situation was handled very well by using various lounges. The D+s gravitate to the CL, and the Ds are accommodated using portable bars in lounges. It was X that decided to stick with no Elite plus tier, it should be up to them to solve the problem without completely alienating those most loyal to X!

We were on the Eclipse last Spring TA. They also had 2 lounges for Elite folks. Michael's Club ( for sure) and The Skyview lounge I think. We do not drink much and rarely go to the lounges but I agree that it is important to some and does save money for all those attend. If you are not expecting to incude drinks in your travel budget it can come as a hardship if you are not prepared. Bad form on Celebrity's part.

i am onboard the eclipse TA. There was no elite party or coupons the first night, as expected. For the second night, we received two coupons per person, and last night we received 3 coupons per person. good at any bar except the martini bar, the wine dispenser bar or the molecular bar. Two coupons was unacceptable to us...I have to think about 3 coupons.

What I find more annoying is that a) they knew about this far in advance...they always have 800 elites on TA's...this is our third. But I lost it when they scheduled trivial persuit and name that tune in the sky lounge right in the middle of the elite party time. It's cold outside, so there are no outside bars that are useable. The sky lounge is the only place you can sit and have a view...and they have filled it with an activity so we lose that venue. Just poor planning and as expected now, poor communicatioins with passengers.

I willl be meeting with the head of guest service later today or tomorrow to discuss....and I expect nothing at all to be done because apparently celebrity hq is involved which is the kiss of death for getting changes made. Hopefully the other cc members on board will also express their displeasure.

One reason I like celebrity is that I'm comfortable with their ships and their systems. This cruise seems like an experiment....no luggage tags, changed elite party with limitations.....what's next on this cruise and what's next on our next booked cruises....which may get cancelled unless celebrity starts to have some consistency again.

Finally some sanity on this thread. Thanks for the concise info, and please give further reports with new info, and how the coupon thing is "playing" with Elites.

One important thing to find out, is whether it was the Eclipse cruise staff that decided to do this as a one-time deal to handle their situation, or this was the roll-out of a new policy by X management, in which case it was done in the worst possible way.

If a corporate decision, haven't they been through this before with the RC Diamonds? That "easy" little change only resulted in the Daimond parties on every ship and the ongoing, multimillion dollar Diamond Club retrofits to keep angry loyals from "jumping ship"!

The problem is on Westbound TAs where you may get 1000 Elites. I've been on with 600-700 Elites and they can handle that (although many do complain), but 1000 is another matter. People who haven't actually experienced the crowd are not in a position to know. Appears to me that the Staff is trying to make the best of a very difficult situation and no matter what they do many who feel that they're not getting what they believe they're entitled too will complain.

I asked around with friends who are cruising. SI is issuing two chits pp daily. SI is currently on the Venice to Rome run. Flora and I and Mr. & Mrs. Orator will be cruising In SI next month. Flora doesn't drink so I guess I get her chits (fingers crossed). Waiting on the others to comment. ~ Ric

Dear Celebrity...

I have a rare condition that makes it Imperative that I monitor my blood alcohol numbers between 5 and 7pm and keep them well above zero.:p My Scottish heritage dictates that I do this as inexpensively as possible or my blood pressure could rise and negate the positive effects of the beverages. :p

One or even two coupons would not normally be enough.

Please don't change the Elite cocktail party as my enjoyment of it and it allows me to stay in the safe zone and my health seems to improve along with my mood. :D

If this change was indeed implemented, it would not bother us as it seems to do others. We have early dining and since they changed the hours I don't bother to attend. From 5-6 the lounge is jammed with both traditional seatings plus Select and it is a zoo. DH is not an extrovert like I am:D and is uncomfortable striking up conversations with strangers (he would rather hang with our friends in the cabin or a bar pre dinner) and I find it "odd" going by myself. The coupon option would definitely work better for us. But to me, the much more important/valuable loyalty perks are the 3hrs internet per cabin and the laundry for which we really do thank Celebrity!

Dear Celebrity...

I have a rare condition that makes it Imperative that I monitor my blood alcohol numbers between 5 and 7pm and keep them well above zero.:p My Scottish heritage dictates that I do this as inexpensively as possible or my blood pressure could rise and negate the positive effects of the beverages. :p

Please don't change the Elite cocktail party as my enjoyment of it and it allows me to stay in the safe zone and my health seems to improve along with my mood. :D

If there are many for whom two drink coupons daily are not enough, perhaps that is why the change is being instituted!

Dear Celebrity...

I'm on the same regiment and stick to it even at home;)! Must be a Highland thing. ~ Ric

I asked around with friends who are cruising. SI is issuing two chits pp daily. SI is currently on the Venice to Rome run. Flora and I and Mr. & Mrs. Orator will be cruising In SI next month. Flora doesn't drink so I guess I get her chits (fingers crossed). Waiting on the others to comment. ~ Ric

Well that is very bad news; if Sillhouette is doing that on a non TA, Europe cruise which almost certainly doesn't have the very high numbers of Elites on board as it doesn't sail back TA until December, it looks as thogh ALL the Cocktail Parties/happy hour gatherings are in danger.

After reading through 10+ pages of this thread, I have found that there is a divided reaction to the OP's information. Some feel the change is due to the over-crowded venue of this particular TA, and some feel this is going to be a fleet-wide permanent change.

Whatever the reason, Celebrity has the right to change policies. Either roll with it (if it becomes a permanent status), or try another cruiseline.

By the way, we've been Elite for many years, and have learned that policies change, some are great, some are not...but all in all, we still enjoy Celebrity.

Well that is very bad news; if Sillhouette is doing that on a non TA, Europe cruise which almost certainly doesn't have the very high numbers of Elites on board as it doesn't sail back TA until December, it looks as thogh ALL the Cocktail Parties/happy hour gatherings are in danger.

I have feelers out to Solstice, Reflection, and Summit. If and when I get a reply, I'll post. ~ Ric

I have feelers out to Solstice, Reflection, and Summit. If and when I get a reply, I'll post. ~ Ric

Ric:

We can just get our drinks at the Ensemble Bar and carry them over to Michael's Club. Or, you can use your charm to get a server to just bring our drinks over and take the coupons plus what we normally add. Could invite others to join us and we have the best of both worlds. My flight to FLL has been changed and I just hope this storm doesn't put our trips at risk. The most important thing as that all our friends and potential friends are well. There will always be other cruises.

Ric:

We can just get our drinks at the Ensemble Bar and carry them over to Michael's Club. Or, you can use your charm to get a server to just bring our drinks over and take the coupons plus what we normally add. Could invite others to join us and we have the best of both worlds. My flight to FLL has been changed and I just hope this storm doesn't put our trips at risk. The most important thing as that all our friends and potential friends are well. There will always be other cruises.

Orator, on the upcoming Silhouette TA (and prior med cruise), won't we be able to get our TnTs with our chits/vouchers in Michael's? I know it's now a specialty beer pub, but I thought they had highballs and wine available also. At least this was so on the Eclipse in March. In any case it's just a few steps from the Ensemble Bar. I can envision both the Ensemble Bar and Michael's being jam packed with Elites from 5:00pm to 7:00pm every night for 27 of the 30 days that we're sailing her. DW can make a Gin & Tonic last an entire evening so at least I will get her other chit before I start pulling out my seapass card.

Orator, on the upcoming Silhouette TA (and prior med cruise), won't we be able to get our TnTs with our chits/vouchers in Michael's? I know it's now a specialty beer pub, but I thought they had highballs and wine available also. At least this was so on the Eclipse in March. In any case it's just a few steps from the Ensemble Bar. I can envision both the Ensemble Bar and Michael's being jam packed with Elites from 5:00pm to 7:00pm every night for 27 of the 30 days that we're sailing her. DW can make a Gin & Tonic last an entire evening so at least I will get her other chit.

We'll just get a significantly large group and take over the joint!

I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

Does that mean the rest of the passengers will now be able to use the Sky Observation Lounge in the morning?:)

Does that mean the rest of the passengers will now be able to use the Sky Observation Lounge in the morning?:)

The mornings are usually held in the Tuscan Grill, especially with a large number of Elites on board. On Summit we had breakfast in Normandie. So, the Sky Lounge should not be a problem except from 5-7.

On the Solstice TA in April the Elite occupied the Sky Observation Lounge every morning. From early till late morning other passengers were not permitted to enter:mad:

We were on Eclipse TA last year and it was held in Tuscan Grill -- that's a venue that is closed all day, except dinner, to the public. I've read that other S-Class ships are doing the same. It's a much better venue for 8-10 morning breakfast for Elites.

Are you worried they'll run out of white wine and beer? :rolleyes:

I think that some people take advantage of the "free drinks" to the point that the experience of the cocktail hour is perhaps endangered do to the cost to Celebrity. Giving out coupons limits cost.

On another note, it also frees up all the waiters who spend over two hours in that venue to be employed elsewhere on the ship.

We'll just get a significantly large group and take over the joint!

Orator, you do realize what they call that on a ship at sea don't you???

They'd hang you mutineers from the yardarm, or in the case of an S-Class, over the Sunset Bar. That way we can all sit and watch you wiggle a bit while sipping the drink of the day using our coupon! Neat!!!

One good thing about getting a coupon instead of a social hr is I can go to most of the bars, slap that baby down and in my most Elite and Snobby tone if voice let all the 'little people' know I'm having a free drink...at their expense. What could be more lovely??

Much easier than my normal habit of siding up next to someone and asking them if they want I'll tell them a sea story if they buy me a drink. Or of course waiting for them to turn their heads and walking off with their drink. Either one works great.

Den

I think that some people take advantage of the "free drinks" to the point that the experience of the cocktail hour is perhaps endangered do to the cost to Celebrity. Giving out coupons limits cost.

On another note, it also frees up all the waiters who spend over two hours in that venue to be employed elsewhere on the ship.

I completely disagree... the "problem" simply doesn't exist.

I am sure that Celebrity isn't going to go bust because of giving away a few free drinks to it's most loyal passengers...

Archived