End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

The Cruise Contract governs what you get as part of your cruise. Does it say anything about Elite benefits? The Loyalty Program is really a marketing ploy. Just reveiw the posts on this thread and you'll see how well it works. Some have testified that they choose Celebrity in large part because of the perks. Others said that they took more cruises to get to Elite so they would get the perks. We all cruise for different reasons and we select a particular line for a variety of reasons. Our reasons are our reasons and they don't need to be defended. That being said, companies often change marketing starategies when they believe they have a better way of attracting target customers. We might like the changes or how they might be implemented, but we don't have a real say in the matter. The best we can do is vote with our feet. Be assured that before a change is implemented the Miami Suits know if we leave some one else will board.

Have been saying this since the beginning.... reciprocity can only lead to the problems that are arising, especially on TA's. Next thing you know the breakfast will be gone too.

Lets not bring breakfast into this, I love my morning capuccinos :)

Jane2357,

It isn't about free drinks or being snobby. I don't drink alcohol at all, and my wife might have a glass of wine. Snob? Look at my avatar.

In a few weeks we are sailing with 5 other couples who we previously met on various cruises. We all specifically chose this cruise to enable us to have a reunion. One of the anticipated highlights is our daily get together for the Elite happy hour.

Those who only care about booze might think of the gatherings only as a cocktail party, but for us it is about a special time of the day with old friends and a chance to make new ones.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I wonder if maybe I should pack my own towel and bed sheets if they're gonna cut back on the things I've paid for and was promised when I booked the cruise.

Good point. Maybe celebrity need to start charging for the MDR, maybe $20 per head. Lets start it tomorrow. Richard

I'm not trying to call you names - but I just am not getting how upset/angry people can be when something that was a perk is taken away and lets face it - no one even knows if this is a change or a one time situation. My thoughts though are that from a business standpoint - and it is happening on other lines as well - that times are changing and nothing is set in stone.

Right now people are very upset on the Carnival board. Carnival has a new program called "Faster To The Fun". For a $50.00 PER CABIN fee you get priority boarding AND your cabin is ready up embarkation and your luggage has priority delivery. So they have basically "sold" Plat/Dia. perks to anyone. How would you all feel about that?!

I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. I'm not a mean person, I'm not trying to take anything from anyone - but I'm trying to point out that a cruise line is a business and the bottom line is what will determine policy.

Saying we are snobby and feeling entitled is calling us names and this has nothing to do with Carnival.

::Temporarily Hijacking::

Wine-o, I hope you guys weather Sandy ok there on the Jersey Shore :)

::We now return to the regularly scheduled discussion::

Hey, thanks. The track has it coming right over Toms River. I've stocked up on beer and wine -- just home Maureen can start the generator. :rolleyes::D

One drink (each) was all we ever had in an evening. In fact – a few nights, my drink was club soda.

This "drink coupon" may be better for those who travel with friends/family who are not yet Elite. That way – you can all enjoy a drink together.

The comments about “missing the conversation in the Elite cocktail hour” are a hoot. Just strike up a conversation with anyone at any bar/venue. Most cruise passengers are incredibility friendly and open to meeting new people.

M

For those who wish to have a coupon instead of the 2 hours, let them have it. It will be refered to as the VOUCHER! LOL

Personally, we cruise Celebrity 3-4 times a year and each time we leave a comment hoping that they offer an alternative of a coupon for a drink per day that can be used at any lounge on our time frame.

For us, we have late seating. Drinking from 5-7pm is not an option when you eat at 8:30pm. That would mean getting showered and dressed up hours before dinner and we do not need to be doing a 3 hour cocktail hour each night.

We tend to go to the the martini bar each night around 7:30 and meet tons of fun new people each night.

In addition, we often travel with those who are not elite, so the elite lounge is not an option.

Just my opinion and hope that this is true.... Especially as we board Reflection on 11/4 for a 27 day back to back, this would be great!

I am not elite yet, but will become elite after my next cruise in a week. I for one will be very disapponted as I have booked my cruises all on Celebrity in an effort to become elite. I too would have looked at other lines if I knew this would happen. I had looked foward to the socialization with other people. I know you can do it elsewhere, but a cocktail party gives you the social ambience to make it easier. The few extra perks with elite keep the incentive to remain with the same cruise line.

Tserface,

I totally agree with you. Yes we remain loyal to Celebrity because we enjoy this perk We love HAL also. So if this perk is taken away (and we don't yet, know that for sure) we will look again to HAL. Our 14 night Eclipse cruise is coming up on 12/1. It all remains to be seen. Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions too quickly.

By the way, we are planning a road trip to your beautiful state of Oregon in the near future.

Jane2357,

It isn't about free drinks or being snobby. I don't drink alcohol at all, and my wife might have a glass of wine. Snob? Look at my avatar.

In a few weeks we are sailing with 5 other couples who we previously met on various cruises. We all specifically chose this cruise to enable us to have a reunion. One of the anticipated highlights is our daily get together for the Elite happy hour.

Those who only care about booze might think of the gatherings only as a cocktail party, but for us it is about a special time of the day with old friends and a chance to make new ones.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

And Happy Sails to you to from a gal married to a WVUFAN herself!!! Married myself a W.V. fella!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just pointing out that any cruise line is a business and nothing sets these loyalty programs in stone. I'm not snobby - I prefer to cruise Celebrity but most of my friends can only afford Carnival - guess what - good times - no matter where I might be.

Just talked to Captain's Club and they have not heard a thing!! They think maybe it is a one time situation due to numbers. Policy has not changed as of now and to their knowledge.

If Celebrity is doing this because of a high number of Elites, then any TA cruise will be affected. On all of the cruises I've been on with Celebrity, the TAs always seem to have a huge number of Elites compared to say, the Caribbean and Med cruises I've been on. Changing their policy because of the numbers isn't fair to those of us who have been loyal to Celebrity.

Monica

Wine-O: I hope you and Maureen are okay with Sandy heading your way.

Host Joe and Jane,

Hope to meet both of you someday on a Celebrity ship.:)

The ship review of the Eclipse TA should be interesting.;)

Cheers

Thank you, I hope to meet you as well!

I'm not trying to call you names - but I just am not getting how upset/angry people can be when something that was a perk is taken away and lets face it - no one even knows if this is a change or a one time situation. My thoughts though are that from a business standpoint - and it is happening on other lines as well - that times are changing and nothing is set in stone.

Right now people are very upset on the Carnival board. Carnival has a new program called "Faster To The Fun". For a $50.00 PER CABIN fee you get priority boarding AND your cabin is ready up embarkation and your luggage has priority delivery. So they have basically "sold" Plat/Dia. perks to anyone. How would you all feel about that?!

I'm just looking at this from a practical standpoint. I'm not a mean person, I'm not trying to take anything from anyone - but I'm trying to point out that a cruise line is a business and the bottom line is what will determine policy.

Kind of like those TAs who are in business and don't need to give away their whole commission to whiney passengers? :eek:

I think most of us who are Celebrity regulars have seen some changes coming but it would be surprising to just have them change the whole program without notice. There have been many people who suggested that they would prefer some coupons because they don't like the time of the Elite Cocktail Party. There are probably just so many on this particular TA that they are experimenting to try to find a solution to an obvious problem.

I guess I would also wonder how many coupons one needs for a two hour period. Is the idea to just slug down as many drinks as possible?

And that is what I'm pointing out - snobby. Guess what Celebrity is a middle of the road line.:eek:

I'm not snobby. They are just very different. Celebrity doesn't really cater to little kids as Carnival does. More to adults. The colors and furnishings of the ships are more muted and understated. Off topic, though.

A suggestion for those who say it isn't the drinks, it is the getting together with people to visit, tic, why don't you all take your coupons to the same bar at the same time? What if I am unhappy when I want a drink from a particular location because I like that location, and it is closed to me because a bunch of people have it reserved for their use? Should it be closed to me because I can only afford to cruise once a year, and had other priorities until recently and didn't cruise?

Loyality programs are supposed to be small perks to keep you coming back to that line, but they are never part of the cruise contract and can end at any time.

Personally, I choose Celebrity for other reasons, not the possible free drinks, laundry, Internet, etc. I did fine without it in Feb 12, I already bought my beverage package for Feb 13, and I'm actively looking for my next cruise without worrying about those possible perks.

A suggestion for those who say it isn't the drinks, it is the getting together with people to visit, tic, why don't you all take your coupons to the same bar at the same time? What if I am unhappy when I want a drink from a particular location because I like that location, and it is closed to me because a bunch of people have it reserved for their use? Should it be closed to me because I can only afford to cruise once a year, and had other priorities until recently and didn't cruise?

Loyality programs are supposed to be small perks to keep you coming back to that line, but they are never part of the cruise contract and can end at any time.

Personally, I choose Celebrity for other reasons, not the possible free drinks, laundry, Internet, etc. I did fine without it in Feb 12, I already bought my beverage package for Feb 13, and I'm actively looking for my next cruise without worrying about those possible perks.

Very nice post. I cruise Celebrity for huge number of reasons, not just one... And certainly not one centered around free drinks.

Whatever bar we are in we meet people... That is cruising!

Also, don't you think it would be cool to be talking to some new cruisers at a bar and they notice the coupons that you are using for drinks and ask about how to get them and you explain what they are? That would be good for the cruise line I would think!

You know, when I first read ghstudio's post on the Eclipse TA, my second thought was, this is a great idea. In order to alleviate the crowds at Happy Hour, give everyone 2 vouchers, date stamped, use or lose between 5-7 each night. You could either go to the Cocktail hour at the Sky Lounge or have a couple of drinks in the Passport Bar, Mast Bar, Pool Bar, or Oceanview Bar. Makes sense to me.

The Captain's Club Hostess while were on Summit this past May told us that they had to open up 3 venues because of the number of Elites -- the Sky Lounge, Michael's, and set up in one of the conference rooms.

Kind of like those TAs who are in business and don't need to give away their whole commission to whiney passengers? :eek:

Oh I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm looking for the best deal when booking a cruise - a totally different issue than a loyalty program change. Which you don't even know has happened. You are missing the entire point. Perks, freebies, loyalty programs are changed, will be changed when business demands. So enjoy your free drinks and mix and mingle with the rest of the ship.

And I'll never apologize for sailing on Carnival - have you tried it? No the clientele are not the same but I for one am just as happy setting next to a McD's worker or a CEO. I prefer Celebrity but most of my friends cannot afford Celebrity - so Carnival it is. I always have a great time on a cruise, no matter which line and some of the BEST cabin stewards - Carnival.

Oh I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm looking for the best deal when booking a cruise - a totally different issue than a loyalty program change. Which you don't even know has happened. You are missing the entire point. Perks, freebies, loyalty programs are changed, will be changed when business demands. So enjoy your free drinks and mix and mingle with the rest of the ship.

And I'll never apologize for sailing on Carnival - have you tried it? No the clientele are not the same but I for one am just as happy setting next to a McD's worker or a CEO. I prefer Celebrity but most of my friends cannot afford Celebrity - so Carnival it is. I always have a great time on a cruise, no matter which line and some of the BEST cabin stewards - Carnival.

Never said a word about Carnival and wouldn't be surprised if they are going to make changes to the Elite program.

Different issue, but whining is whining.;)

An airline f.f. program or a cruise line loyalty program - to define yourself by these perks is sad. I admit that I do love first class if I am lucky enough to get bumped up there - but I certainly don't book expecting it and I certainly don't throw a hissy fit if I don't get it.

What if you were told that your FF program allowed you to be upgraded to first class on each flight and every flight after that, you were in first class. Then one day you get to the airport and are told that it doesn't work that way any more. Now you're back in the main cabin. Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "okay"? Really? Don't you think it would have been nice if they told you in advance? Wouldn't you have liked to know before you paid for the trip?

Yes I agree that there may be a bit of jumping to the gun going on here...

:rolleyes:

Tom

Tserface,

I totally agree with you. Yes we remain loyal to Celebrity because we enjoy this perk We love HAL also. So if this perk is taken away (and we don't yet, know that for sure) we will look again to HAL. Our 14 night Eclipse cruise is coming up on 12/1. It all remains to be seen. Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions too quickly.

By the way, we are planning a road trip to your beautiful state of Oregon in the near future.

Archived