Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

LOL, Cheryl.

You guys have a pretty big group!

Enjoy your cruise,

Ann

Some nice big groups on this cruise my group alone is 23 and most arent even on our roll call....it has been a very nice roll call.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Oasis in May:) I'm wondering if she even realizes that she put our roll call in the middle of this thread........I'm certainly not complaining...it always nice to have someone keep track of the roll call to begin with........

For those questioning where the details are coming from... I don't have time to look for the exact post number as I am just scooting in here while on break. The details came from someone currently on the Allure. They confirmed that the package is indeed available on the sailing and that it is $55 plus gratuities and that it includes fountain sodas, frozen drinks, beers up to $6.25, frozen drinks, most liquors, but only house wines and does not include cans of soda, nor bottles of juice, nor specialty coffees, nor bottles of water.

I don't see how they would actually lose money on me :confused: I worked in the restaurant industry for 22 years and know the mark up on beverages and alcohol. This is how I figured this break down in my head (since I've never cruised before, my price estimates could be off, so feel free to correct me)

The way the package is configured now (bottled juice, water, specialty coffees not included):

1 bottle of juice... not included...I pay additional $3?

1 bottle of water... not included...I pay additional $3?

2 specialty coffee... not included... I pay $13?

2 big bottles of water... not included... I pay $10?

2 Drinks of day... would have cost me $18

2 glasses of wine at dinner... not included if it's not house wine, I pay $20?

Total= only $18 worth of the drink package used and I paid an additional $49 for beverages not included. Total cost to me = $104. Total loss to me = $37

The way the breakdown would look if the package was inclusive of bottled waters, juices and coffees:

***everything listed above would be at no additional charge to me

Total cost to me = $55 for package. The bill would have been $67. Total savings for me = $12. The semantics of this.... does my $12 savings make for a loss of money for RCCL? No way, no how. If you added all my beverages at current retail price, they would still be making money over retail prices. If you broke it down by what actual mark up looks like, they are making out big time. That measly little $12 savings to me does very little to their profit margin. In fact, I would do much more harm to their profit margin if I sought out the buy-1-get-1 deals, martini specials, special events, etc. I'm still believing RCCL would still sell more packages and make more money in the end if they would include the waters, juices and specialty coffees.

PS... does anyone know if they have a riesling for a house wine?

When they include those things in the package, they can no longer sell their water, juice, and soda packages. This is a family cruiseline. If you're a parent, are you really going to purchase these other packages for your kids if you can just sneak them bottles of water from your drink package?

When they include those things in the package, they can no longer sell their water, juice, and soda packages. This is a family cruiseline. If you're a parent, are you really going to purchase these other packages for your kids if you can just sneak them bottles of water from your drink package?

Just because they may sell alcohol packages that include water and soda, doesn't mean that they will stop selling the other packages. Celebrity just has water and soda packages also.

Susan :)

Edited by AkSusan

PS... does anyone know if they have a riesling for a house wine?

Had a riesling on Radiance a while back. They ran out of white zin and the bartender suggested a riesling. It was quite good, however, can't remember the particular label.

Rick

Edited by Pumbaamd

Plus both pax have to buy the pk So if one doesn't drink or drinks only a little it is not worth it.

Not true that both have to buy. We recently did an Eastern Med cruise on the Constellation and I had one but my wife did not. As for the cost and amount one has to drink... well, I usually had a specialty coffee with breakfast, water for a shore excursion, a cocktail at lunch, something poolside in the afternoon, couple of glasses of wine at dinner and a night cap. I found it more that worthwhile.

Not true that both have to buy. We recently did an Eastern Med cruise on the Constellation and I had one but my wife did not. As for the cost and amount one has to drink... well, I usually had a specialty coffee with breakfast, water for a shore excursion, a cocktail at lunch, something poolside in the afternoon, couple of glasses of wine at dinner and a night cap. I found it more that worthwhile.

With RCCL's package everyone over 21 in the same cabin must purchase the drink package. The only way around it is if you're pregnant, or have a medical condition with doctor's note saying you can't consume alcohol.

The person that posted about both people having to purchase in the stateroom is currently on the Allure and said they both had to buy. That's why people are saying that both have to buy.

you were on a celebrity ship....we are discussing that everyone in the cabin 21 and over must purchase the same package.

Seems as if RCI just can't win.

smugglers claim it isn't about the money but the convenience....now there are complaints that it won't save the pax money but will make RCI money.:confused:

So which is it?

Those that want their booze complained they wanted a new policy..seems they are getting it but it isn't good enough.

So the smuggling will probably go on despite it NOT being about $$$...supposedly.:rolleyes:

I don't know about other people, but for me it's about what I drink. When they start selling sweet tea vodka onboard I will never have to smuggle another drop. I will gladly bring my own bottles and hand them to RCCL and buy them back from them 1 drink at a time. I don't care how much more RCCL makes or what it costs me (within reason). I want to drink what I like and they don't offer it.

Not that my opinion matters or will do any good, but I think an alcohol package is NOT a good idea. Sorry to those I may offend, but this could create a lot more drunk and disorderly people and I don't want to be around a bunch of drunks. Also, people who get this package may try to get their money's worth and drnk way too much- to the point of puking in public.

If I wanted a booze cruise, I would sail Carnival. Now granted I realize that people have always drank and gotten drunk, and it doesn't bother me but I'm worried that it will be all over the place and I don't think I would care for that.

Time will tell how this plays out. I just hope it doesn't ruin my cruise experience.

And I would argue that the folks who are going to drink to excess on this kind of cruise are going to do so without really having a regard to their bar bill at the end of the week and will walk around the cruise in a stupor anyway.

When you go to all-inclusives where all alcohol is included, you generally do not see people walking around plastered, but enjoying the flexibility to walk up to a bar and being able to order an adult beverage without worrying about the bill at the end.

I think it definitely depends on itinerary here. For us, at $55pp/d, on a cruise with 3-4 sea days, that would probably pay for itself. But, if we go out of SJ again on a port-intensive cruise, then no way- would rather save the money to spend off the ship.

Interesting specialty coffee & bottled water is not included. I can see why; but, if we added in those plus alcohol last cruise- which was port intensive- then this would probably be more attractive to us.

My spouse and I had the premium package on our cruise onboard the Century to Hawaii last fall. We found the package to certainly well worth the price since so much was included;

Fresh squeezed OJ in the buffet every morning.

Bottled water whenever you want, great for going ashore and coming back onboard.

Speciality coffees all day long including the ones with alcohol in them.

Soda and juices.

Smoothies.

All drinks less than $10 or $12, I forget which amount.

Although it doesn't include bottles of wine the Sommelier never let my wine glass go empty at dinner. :)

Bloody Mary in the AM for those times when you enjoyed your package the night before.

Need to remember that the package does not include room service or any items in your room.

Yes, you could say that it's expensive, however, I am on vacation and being an ex-sailor I really don't count my drinks, that's for sissies.:D

I have been crunching the numbers and trying very hard to find a way to justify this. The problem is that my fiance only has a few drinks per day (1 - 3). While I easily spend at least $55 per day on drinks (and often times much more), I don't think I drink enough for both of us to make it worth it. Including gratuity, our cost would be $506 for a four-night cruise. Even though three of our four days onboard are non-port days, I don't think our bar bill has ever been that much for four nights. I would definitely be willing to pay a small premium to not worry about cost whatsoever, but I think I would be more annoyed paying $506 knowing that we wouldn't otherwise approach that amount. Thoughts?

I have been crunching the numbers and trying very hard to find a way to justify this. The problem is that my fiance only has a few drinks per day (1 - 3). While I easily spend at least $55 per day on drinks (and often times much more), I don't think I drink enough for both of us to make it worth it. Including gratuity, our cost would be $506 for a four-night cruise. Even though three of our four days onboard are non-port days, I don't think our bar bill has ever been that much for four nights. I would definitely be willing to pay a small premium to not worry about cost whatsoever, but I think I would be more annoyed paying $506 knowing that we wouldn't otherwise approach that amount. Thoughts?

We're kind of in the same boat. I drink mostly beer but my husband likes top shelf tequila margaritas. Given that margaritas he would be drinking are $11.00 a piece, I know that on sea days he can easily drink enough to make it worth. He may even be able to do that on port days if we forego the wine. I would not. So we've decided to go with our original plan of wine package and pay as you drink for others.

Not that my opinion matters or will do any good, but I think an alcohol package is NOT a good idea. Sorry to those I may offend...

Quick note to say you do not have to apologize for expressing your opinion here. That is what these boards are for. You may be in the minority on an issue and it shouldn't matter. OK? Just speak up. A person can have a difference of opinion and express it politely without being confrontational or rude. :)

We are booked for a cruise in January. Our ideal situation would be to prepay a drinks package so that we could budget for the holiday.

Even if it worked out more expensive, we would feel more relaxed about our budget and would not need to count our pennies every day.

I also think that we would then be able to concentrate more of our money on other things such as shore excursions or specialty dinning.

I would love the freedom.

My only concern that travelling as a family that we would come across very drunk people.

Quick note to say you do not have to apologize for expressing your opinion here. That is what these boards are for. You may be in the minority on an issue and it shouldn't matter. OK? Just speak up. A person can have a difference of opinion and express it politely without being confrontational or rude. :)

Here here! Everyone's entitled to their opinion!

Think they call it freedom of speech! :)

Few things come to mind when reading about this.....

First, RCl is banking on people purchasing the package and NOT consuming enough drinks per day to meet or exceed the invested cost....

Second, people who do purchase the package will feel they need to drink more than they normally would to justify the cost.....more drunks? They may feel there is a "quota" they must meet or loose......

Then, there are for some people, that this package makes good $$ sense, and then there are people (like me) that would never come close to $55/day in drinks....

We are going on the Voyager of the Seas out of Fremantle, Western Australia in March 2013. Can someone confirm that these $55 packages will be available then???? I have phoned RCL Australian customer service number to enquire about these types of packages and it doesn't seem to be happening while VOS's is doing the Australian circuit - just the VERY EXPENSIVE wine packages are on offer!!!

For all the nervous nellies who has decided that only drunks and alcoholics will purchase the package, think for a minute about the last time as an adult you over consumed alcohol.

Okay, do you remember now? The headache? The nausea? The blurry vision? Dry mouth? Did I mention the headache? A little wobbly?

Now as an adult most of you might get carried away once during the holiday season and over consume at the parties and events. But you will remember that bad bad morning for many days to come.

As an average adult (without addiction problems) - how likely are you to repeat that behavior the next day? Oh, combine that feeling with a moving ship, a little rocking motion?

I don't know about the rest of our friends on the boards but I over consumed once on a cruise and not even to the point that anyone else realized I had that one sip too much. Never to be repeated.

Those who will consume too much will continue to consume too much. I recall seeing a woman in Schooner Bar prior to the muster drill on one cruise who had way over consumed. I doubt that having a package would make much difference to her.

We discussed it and decided to not purchase the package on our next cruise. While on a 3 or 4 nighter it might make sense, but on longer cruises we tend to hardly drink anything at all some days and then there are port days where we will be off doing other things and I can assure you we will not be consuming prior to our Dune Buggy expedition.

Side Note: Sweet Tea Vodka? :eek: