First Cruise On Celebrity, Which Ship

TravelGal22

We have been on a few Carnival Cruises but would like to try Celebrity. I also would like to go on a Southern Caribbean cruise then end of next year so I thought maybe I would do it with Celebrity. The ship that has the itinerary that I like is the Summit. I have read mixed reviews about it. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you think my introduction to this cruise line should be on the Summit or should I try another ship instead?

Well, I started out on Celebrity (after years with Carnival, HAL and RCI) on the Infinity, followed by the Mercury (no longer with the fleet) and the Century. Based on those ships I fell in love with Celebrity.

However.

Once I sailed on Solstice I never wanted to sail anything other than Solstice class ships. So your question is hard to answer. For me the Solstice class are the best. In particular I like Solstice, Eclipse and Equinox the best as they have the Hot Glass Show. Reflection and Silhouette have done away with that....and Reflection has reduced the size of the Sky Lounge by half.

You will never get a correct definitive answer to your question. The question is too subjective. I prefer summit over bigger "solstice class" ships, but that is just my opinion.

The best answer I can give is to try both classes of ships and then u can decide for yourself.

We board the summit 1 week from today!! Love the southern itinerary.

I think your two choices for that time of year in the Southern Caribbean are:

M-Class - Summit - 7 night

S-Class - Eclipse - 14 night

Some prefer the M-Class; some prefer the S-Class. You probably can't go wrong with either choice. :) Celebrity is a great cruise line!

We loved the M class ships and when they brought out the first Solstice class ship, we vowed not to go on them. But we finally did and fell in love with the Solstice Class. This past August we did a 7 night cruise on Summit, which was always one of our favorite ships, and while some of the new S Class enhancements were nice, many parts of the ship, especially in the cabins, seem tired and in need of attention. But, Summit still has her fans, and we will probably sail on her again, if the itinerary was right.

Have heard many opinions of m and s class ships. We only know rccl and carnival. In laws love love celebrity and Bermuda. Summitt had the best price for Bermuda in the summer. In laws loved the dry dock changes. We will see next summer

I say give celebrity a shot.

We have been on a few Carnival Cruises but would like to try Celebrity. I also would like to go on a Southern Caribbean cruise then end of next year so I thought maybe I would do it with Celebrity. The ship that has the itinerary that I like is the Summit. I have read mixed reviews about it. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if you think my introduction to this cruise line should be on the Summit or should I try another ship instead?

Congratulations on your decision to exted your cruising repertoire.

For the introduction to this cruise line you should try their best ship the Eclipse. #2 is the Equinox, #3 is the Solstice.

Not the Silhouette, never the Reflection.

Don't waste your precious vacation time on smaller and older Celebrity ships. There are way better options besides Celebrity.

Thank you for all of your replies. Could someone please tell me the difference between the S and the M?

I was under the impression that the Summit just cane out of dry dock with a face lift. Surprised someone thought the cabins looked tired. We want to try Celebrity for a step up in ambiance, food and service. We definitely don't want tired cabins.

Congratulations on your decision to exted your cruising repertoire.

For the introduction to this cruise line you should try their best ship the Eclipse. #2 is the Equinox, #3 is the Solstice.

Not the Silhouette, never the Reflection.

Don't waste your precious vacation time on smaller and older Celebrity ships. There are way better options besides Celebrity.

I checked those ships and the ocean view rooms were more than I was looking to spend. The Summit had an ocean view I believe it was under $600 or around there.

"Don't waste your precious vacation time on smaller and older Celebrity ships. There are way better options besides Celebrity. "

Couldn't disagree more. I absolutely love M class ships, and while S class is nice, I vastly prefer M class. There are pluses and minuses for each class of ship. Celebrity is an excellent product regardless of which ship is sailed. I can understand people having a preference, but in my opinion (and many others according to this board), to recommend that someone not waste their precious vacation time on the older Celebrity ships is quite extreme. Everyone has a right to their own opinion whether I agree or not, but I would advise the OP to consider the overall concensus when making their decision.

The Celebrity M class ships are very nice. The newest ships almost always have hight prices. The Summit is a very nice ship. I have not been on in a long time. The X cruising experience is a little classier than most of the mass market lines. I like the lecturers - usually very good. Food choices and presentation also a little better.

The 'second' oldest ships often offer the best value for the money. The Solstice class is very nice but I would sail on the Milli, Connie, Summit or Infinity any time the ports and price are right.

Thank you for all of your replies. Could someone please tell me the difference between the S and the M?

Like all cruiselines, there are different "classes" of ships. On Celebrity:

Century Class - "C" - only one ship left - Century (oldest since 1995)

Millennium Class - "M" - Millennium, Summit, Infinity, Constellation (newer since 2000)

Solstice Class - "S" - Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette, Reflection (newest since 2008)

All are well kept up, just different layouts, capacities, and venues.

Recently cruised on the Summit and had a wonderful time. Excellent food in all areas of ship. High class shows at good times whichever time you eat. Very friendly staff. We had no problem with our balcony cabin which was always kept beautifully clean.

Evenings were quiet in the bars so no atmosphere but this was probably our itinerary - New England and Canada - few younger passengers. Nightclub was quite fun with crew/passenger games/dancing but at the end of this just about everyone went to bed! Now we are 66/69 but we would have liked a little more nightlife beyond the show.

We have a Solstice and Constellation cruise booked for next year as we really like Celebrity and I am sure you will like the brand whichever ship you select.

Just keep in mind that when a ship has been in dry dock....this does not mean that the ship was made over tip to toe. Specific things were done to the Summit....but it was not a overhaul of everything. She is still going to show her age more than a newer ship. That being said, you will still have a great time!

We sailed the "older" Summit in 2009, and the Solstice last year! I can't imagine having a better time on either ship. Solstice is larger, but everything on both cruises was as near to perfect as a vacation can get. You can't go wrong booking with Celebrity......and we're back on the "newer" Summit this coming January!

We have cruised on: Carnival, Royal Carribean, and Celebrity cruise ships.

Be prepared for big differences, between the atmosphere on Carnival and Celebrity.

I have sailed on Celebrity Constellation; have an upcoming Celebrity Eclipse cruise.

IMO, the difference in ship "atmosphere", is like night and day. Carnival is much more

"laid back." Celebrity's staff provides outstanding service, but is very formal, IMO.

Late night entertainment, in the wee hours of the morning is almost non-existent,

on Celebrity, IMO.

Celebrity's ships are awesome. Just wanted to prepare you for the dramatic difference,

in the type of music/dancing/crew demeanor--between Carnival and Celebrity.

I believe that you can't go wrong with any Celebrity ship.

I checked those ships and the ocean view rooms were more than I was looking to spend. The Summit had an ocean view I believe it was under $600 or around there.

My DW and I just booked our first cruise on Celebrity and will be sailing on the Summit (the itinerary looks amazing!) We booked one of the "new" oceanview rooms on deck 3 (category 6 I think). I think we booked room 3112. In case you have not read about these rooms, people are saying that rooms 3112 to 3144 are amazing. They were just added during the recent drydock, so room are brand new. They replaced an old meeting room on that deck. People report that the rooms are quiet, out of the way and convenient to stair and elevators. They are low and midship, so that is good if you get seasickness. The biggest bonus I have seen though is the size of the window. One look at the picture below and I think you may be sold on one of these rooms!!

418529_10150638723905879_1042383933_n.jpg

My DW and I just booked our first cruise on Celebrity and will be sailing on the Summit (the itinerary looks amazing!) We booked one of the "new" oceanview rooms on deck 3 (category 6 I think). I think we booked room 3112. In case you have not read about these rooms, people are saying that rooms 3112 to 3144 are amazing. They were just added during the recent drydock, so room are brand new. They replaced an old meeting room on that deck. People report that the rooms are quiet, out of the way and convenient to stair and elevators. They are low and midship, so that is good if you get seasickness. The biggest bonus I have seen though is the size of the window. One look at the picture below and I think you may be sold on one of these rooms!!

418529_10150638723905879_1042383933_n.jpg

Nice!!!

Well I did it!! Booked for Sat. Nov. 30th 2013. Thanks for the great info. Russ! I booked cabin 3114. So excited. Don't want to be on board during a school holiday. Thanksgiving is the 28th. Do you think there will be many families on board then? It would be at the end of the school vacation I think.

Archived