Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Linda.....I'm so sad "our" vacation is over! Thank you so much for all of your efforts, time, and expense, in doing this blog. You have quite a loyal following here on CC...:) I'm sorry your second week on board the ship had so many issues. I will say that what you experienced was exactly our experience the one and only time we sailed out of San Juan many years ago.

Thanks again for a job well done, and safe travels back to the U.K.

I'm not singing.

Debark was a shambles.

I know it's gone 10am and I'm sat in the Admiral's lounge at the airport. So at least I'm on my way.

But.......

They had sent round the questionnaire about flights etc during the week and I had put my times and my citizenship (I think) and said that I am travelling with people from the US and could I have self disembark with them.... in fact I had that conversation with GS when I handed the paper in. I received a slip of paper in an envelope with my room number on it via my room steward. The slip clearly states that self disembark was for US citizens only. I also received tags with a number on it. Designed to confuse.

With slip in hand (and tags in the room) I headed down to deck 2 in the lift with my friends. Chaos. They have closed off the HUGE room into 2 smaller rooms and we were all meant to hang out in there. My passport is duly noted BEFORE I go in there and confirmation that I have the slip with me is also proven.

I am with one couple and the other is in the other room. Around 8 am there is movement. I have one HUGE case and one carryon on wheels. Gravity is an asset when getting down the one fight of stairs to disembark on deck one.

I can hear the sound of the 'bong' as the seapass cards are being swiped. One..... that's ONE machine. People in front of us are denied disembark and sent to GS. My friends head off. My turn. The 'bong' doesn't for me. It sort of coughs and splutters. Oh the shame!! They think I've not paid my bar tab or they didn't like my comments about guest behaviour..... or that I had called David - John in the pic of him and Angel...

It's way worse than that.

I'm British.

And I'm not getting off here..... no way no how..... nuh uh.

That's too bad that an already upsetting week on the ship was capped off by issues at debarkation. I really wish it had been different for you!!!!! Can you have a Pimms O'clock in the Admirals Lounge? :rolleyes: Safe travels home my friend :)

Clothing alert.

I am wearing the only long sleeved T shirt I have with me and carrying a sleeveless furry gillet. Ok not quite prepared for the weather that awaits me back home but definitely not ideal garb for PR.

So I'm VERY warm now. Oh and I'm wearing my hat. Breathe in and out.

They will not let me leave with the US citizens, The Port Authority Custons whatever won't allow it. OK... I'll hang out here till everyone is off from this group. You can't do that Ma'am. So where am I to go? Deck 4. And just how am I to do that? I'm no Moses to part the outpouring of the masses. And I am NOT carting my case up stair.

Lovely Brit head of security sees my dilemma. Explains again blah blah blah and I reiterate and wave said slip and say then why was I given this? He takes me through a door, around the crowd to the lifts. I see people I know and I cry out Unclean!! Unclean!! I have so lost the plot by now. He helps to put my case in the lift, says Deck 4 the exit is right there..... and disappears.

I get to deck 4.

Exit is roped off. They have 2 machines. I explain my predicament and they say I have to go sit in the Schooner Bar. They don't know me. I say that I will wait and be first out when they open up; I'm causing no obstruction.

Young security guy comes up to me and says hi can I come with him please. Oh and do you have the self assist slip? Show it to him. He takes me down to deck 1 where people I had passed previously were still progressing to the exit...... mutters something.... then vanishes.... he does literally run off....

Member of the CD team sees this and comes over. He says, 'You're not supposed to be here'. Seriously? I do know what his position is but for the life of me I cannot remember..... he was involved in our turnaround fiasco... I said.... I have been here once and taken upstairs.... I have just been brought back down..... he says yes I saw but you cannot be here you will not be allowed off this way you have to go back to deck 4.

Seriously.

I could cry.

He accompanies me to a crowded lift and up we go again. Now is so not a good time to get a picture of the elevator day plaque. At Deck 4 I deposit my bags at the exit barrier. Security guard starts to walk towards me and then backs off when he sees my face..... I sit on the stairs.... I have missed saying goodbye to Patty and I am seriously not approachable.

That's too bad that an already upsetting week on the ship was capped off by issues at debarkation. I really wish it had been different for you!!!!! Can you have a Pimms O'clock in the Admirals Lounge? :rolleyes: Safe travels home my friend :)

There's a thought..... when I'm done writing this up will take a stroll over... I have been given a complimentary drink slip.....

2Cruzin Fools : was such fun that day I would go right back and do it all again!!!

Oh no, that seriously sucks! What a stressful way to end such a great cruise. You would think RCCL and the AOS would know how to handle debarkation for non U.S. properly by now. I know now is not the time but when you get home and relaxed I would write a very detailed letter to the President of RCCL.

Wish you a safe flight home and only good memories of this trip!

Eventually they raise the access to the barrier and I am through. There is a lift on the pier and I take that down rather than use the escalator. Others are already debarking from the rear of Deck 4 (Vivaldi Lounge I guess). I am by now wishing I had gone for breakfast.....

I follow the route for Non US Citizens..... there is 1 person ahead of me and my passport is given a perfunctory nod whilst the guard continues to joke to his friend. Walk through the shed with all the suitcases laid out..... present my passport yet again and hand over the customs declaration form (just as well I had been given one initially on deck 2.... it hadn't been left in my room).

There's a desk...... laden with irons..... finally something to help me smile.

Patty and the others have been waiting for me.... I am so emotional to see them there..... we jump into a cab.... and the rest as they say is history.

Agricultural inspection at the airport is compulsory and quick. Bags go through a scanner and get a sticker. I join the short line to check in and get boarding passes for both flights. I get to choose the seat for the BA flight here as I wasn't able to do that yesterday. Not one of seatguru's finest.... they are all gone already.... I don't care.

I want to thank everyone for all your support and encouragement over the past couple of weeks. The cruise WAS amazing and I have been overwhelmed by the wonderful people I have met and the places I have seen. I will need to sit down and go through the blog to remember it all....

It has been mentioned that Adventure is looking tired and sure enough she is..... refurb isn't for quite a while. She will be out of service for a month at that time.

The crew are totally brilliant and I will miss seeing smiling faces at every turn. In fact I recognised a crew member behind me at security at the airport heading home to India after 7 months on board.

I'll pop by when I get to Miami in a few hours.... I need calories right now.

Linda, Thanks so much for your wonderful review - the pics - the stories - loved it all! So sorry you had such a hard time disembarking - once the cruise is over I just want to be home - not going in circles to get off. Safe travels home and thanks again for all your time spent writing this. Nancy

I have so enjoyed your blog of the past two weeks. The pictures have been incredible, the sunsets stunning. I never considered myself a foodie, but the food pictures had me salivating and making mental notes of food choices for when I cruise Adventure in Feb. I picked up several tips to help in my planning also.

Thank you for all your time and effort!! I do hope you have enough wonderful memories of your time and your friends that the negatives you experienced will soon be a distant memory.

... They are offering the $25 laundry special again…. Patty tells me her room steward has said it will be running every day…. I may succumb to renew some shorts and chuck in other washable items around changeover day....

Thank you for your wonderful blog! I've jumped on late, but I am really appreciating reading through it as we will be on the same B2B in January. I did skip ahead to your departure this morning and I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties, but happy to hear your friends waited! True Friends!

I do have a question for you about the laundry as this is our first B2B and only our second and third sailing with RCCL. Is the $25 laundry special for anyone doing B2B or is that for a certain level of Crown and Anchor? So what does $25 get you? Is it a one time laundry or as often as needed during your cruise?

Thank you! Have a safe trip home!

Stephanie

OMG! Linda I am shocked at what you went thru trying to get off that ship! I feel so bad for you & from the posts of FB a lot of people feel the same way.

Your blog has been a joy to read and follow along on your trip, but there is not excues for what you had to go thru at the end...I'll be interested in hearing of you get any feedback for RCCL, since so many have followed you over the last two weeks.

Hope you get home quickly, without any more hassle!

You are in my thoughts!

Lynne

Thank you for your wonderful blog! I've jumped on late, but I am really appreciating reading through it as we will be on the same B2B in January. I did skip ahead to your departure this morning and I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties, but happy to hear your friends waited! True Friends!

I do have a question for you about the laundry as this is our first B2B and only our second and third sailing with RCCL. Is the $25 laundry special for anyone doing B2B or is that for a certain level of Crown and Anchor? So what does $25 get you? Is it a one time laundry or as often as needed during your cruise?

Thank you! Have a safe trip home!

Stephanie

The bag of laundry special was offered every day Cruise 1 and was advertised in the Compass for everyone to avail themselves of. Not sure about Cruise Week 2 but will check when I get home.... currently at Miami airport :D I could have used it as often as I wanted. You need to get hold of the special bag and itemised list from your room steward; leave the bag and list on your bed for him/her to collect and return is the next day some time.

It seems like these two weeks have flown by. Thanks for taking us along. At least your boarding this trip was not like your boarding for Navigator last year! Have a good flight home.

Boarding may have been different for me this year for me but not for others unfortunately. Week 1 : we were warned not to get there early. Week 2 : I'm not sure if they were similarly advised.... perhaps someone from the roll call can comment. They were queuing in the heat.... once to drop off the cases and the other to actually get into the hall.

I ran into a couple from the Week 2 roll call who hadn't received their M&M invite and in fact weren't alone from I have heard subsequently..... They recognised me from the avatar here..... They told me that porters were asking $20 pp from passengers to skip the lines and hand their luggage over without queuing..... many were paying up....

The bag of laundry special was offered every day Cruise 1 and was advertised in the Compass for everyone to avail themselves of. Not sure about Cruise Week 2 but will check when I get home.... currently at Miami airport :D I could have used it as often as I wanted. You need to get hold of the special bag and itemised list from your room steward; leave the bag and list on your bed for him/her to collect and return is the next day some time.

Boarding may have been different for me this year for me but not for others unfortunately. Week 1 : we were warned not to get there early. Week 2 : I'm not sure if they were similarly advised.... perhaps someone from the roll call can comment. They were queuing in the heat.... once to drop off the cases and the other to actually get into the hall.

I ran into a couple from the Week 2 roll call who hadn't received their M&M invite and in fact weren't alone from I have heard subsequently..... They recognised me from the avatar here..... They told me that porters were asking $20 pp from passengers to skip the lines and hand their luggage over without queuing..... many were paying up....

That is disgusting. There have been too many posts on the boards about issues with the porters. RCI needs to get the situation down in San Juan under control.

That is disgusting. There have been too many posts on the boards about issues with the porters. RCI needs to get the situation down in San Juan under control.

Seriously. This is my main problem with RCI-why can't they get the basic things down? I mean honestly, to me, things like embarkation and debarkation, barring any "situations"--should go rather smoothly. This is their business. Yet we continue to read about these issues. I do not understand.

But to a seasoned cruisers who in there right mind is going to hand a porter $20 to take there luggage LMAO . I would tell him to go pull someones else legs LOL . If you dont do your homework thats your fault IMHO. It just like a cabby taking advatage of you. Know where you are and how much it should cost google is your friend.

Unfortunately customs does there own thing here. We experienced this on our b2b. We had many many non us citizens on our second leg and it was a debacle in the luggage area. We made it tho....the airport could use clearer signs about doing the ag screening first. We would not have known about this had it not been for cruise critic.

This has been so great to have followed for the past two weeks, I'm so sad your holiday is over (my virtual one too!) We're on AOS in August and it was great to see your photos etc

Welcome home.

We're hoping to use our mobiles for £3.00 per day we can use same limits as if in the UK. Do you know what the reception would be like in the middle of the sea?? I'd love to post pictures etc like you've done but don't want to pay RCCL rates!!

Linda:

Thank you for taking us on your holiday with you. It was great reliving our first two cruises on RCCL thru your pictures. (I was able to keep up for week 1 and just completed reading week 2 - our sailing on NOS was last week.)

I'm sorry to hear of some of your experiences during week 2 and think it might be a passenger mix at play - which I guess is the "luck of the draw". I do recall a very heavy children ratio when we sailed post-Thanksgiving. Not sure why, since in the US school is back in session and the holiday is the week before. (Puerto Rico observes all US holiday's.)

Have you given any thought to your next sailing? I seem to recall a mention of a Next Cruise Certificate. Just curious where "our" next journey will take us.

Again, thanks for sharing your holiday. Wishing you a very joyous holiday season.

Doug

This has been so great to have followed for the past two weeks, I'm so sad your holiday is over (my virtual one too!) We're on AOS in August and it was great to see your photos etc

Welcome home.

We're hoping to use our mobiles for £3.00 per day we can use same limits as if in the UK. Do you know what the reception would be like in the middle of the sea?? I'd love to post pictures etc like you've done but don't want to pay RCCL rates!!

Mobiles for £3 pd? Will that include data upload though? What network?

Archived