HELP - trying to decide between Ryndam and Noordam

fuzzywuzzy

Hello everyone: My DH and I are very fond of cruising with HAL. We have been on the Ryndam before but not the Noordam. We are trying to decide between the TA sailings - Ryndam March 31, 2013 or the Noordam March 22, 2013. They are both 16 day cruises. Ryndam ends the 16 day cruise in Barcelona and the Noordam, in Rome. We want to spend about 3 days at one of these cities then fly back.

My dilemma is airfare. Does anyone know if this is too early to book the air? Costs seem too expensive right now to fly back at $949 pp from Barcelone and $1395 pp respectively from Rome. Thanks for any advice.:confused:

You're looking at two different disembarkation cities, two different costs to fly home, and two very different ships.

The Ryndam is one of HAL's smallest ships, and the Noordam one of the largest. They have a different atmosphere, and category for category, different size cabins; Ryndam cabins are larger.

I find the service better on the smaller ships, as there aren't as many passengers for crew to attend to. Gangway traffic at ports is easier on smaller ships, too.

I like the Noordam very much, even though it's really larger than I prefer. But I would choose the Ryndam, based on the ship itself.

Do both. Take the Ryndam over, fly back on a R/T ticket and then fly to Rome next fall, returning on the Noordam. Solves that problem! Seriously, I have sailed both and love both, but I think I prefer to smaller ship, as well. The Noordam is beautiful, though, and I will sail her again in a heartbeat. And have you been to either or both cities? Does this factor into your decision?

Ruth, I'm so happy to hear you say that since I love the Noordam, but my next cruise will be my first on the Ryndam. :)

Carol, I was on the Ryndam for two weeks as recently as this past May. The ship was in fine condition; service was excellent; food---let's say I never missed a meal. ;)

It really depends upon what you want - the Rhyndam may not have quite as many amenities as the Noordam. Loved the Noordam when we were on.

But all things being equal - I would go on the Rhyndam myself (but I like the smaller ships).

Two very different ports - Barcelona is great -Rome is overwhelming at times. Here's one thing you might want to take into consideration - hotel costs and site costs. I think I can safely ssay that you can stay in Barcelona more eaily in a reasonable hotel than you can in Rome but that's JMO and let's not forget the cost to get for Civi to Rome (or vice versa).

Just different things to conisder. Whichever you do - I am sure you will have a great time - I love TA's and HAL usually has some nice itineraries tacked on the end or the beginning

Hello everyone: My DH and I are very fond of cruising with HAL. We have been on the Ryndam before but not the Noordam. We are trying to decide between the TA sailings - Ryndam March 31, 2013 or the Noordam March 22, 2013. They are both 16 day cruises. Ryndam ends the 16 day cruise in Barcelona and the Noordam, in Rome. We want to spend about 3 days at one of these cities then fly back.

My dilemma is airfare. Does anyone know if this is too early to book the air? Costs seem too expensive right now to fly back at $949 pp from Barcelone and $1395 pp respectively from Rome. Thanks for any advice.:confused:

We are heading out on the Ryndam for the first time next month, 12/9. We were on the Noordam 3 weeks last December, and frankly considered getting off 1/2 way through. I was shocked that they were the only ship we've sailed on in YEARS that did not have a healthy alternative menu. Everything was soaked in grease/oil. More shocking was no one seemed to care. The way they had food service set up in the Lido drove us crazy. Just my beef, but we finally got over it and just went with the flow.

Love the Ryndam. Haven't been on Noordam but we very much enjoy that class ship as well. Have you asked your T/A what the air would be through HAL? On these one way trips I've read on these boards that their airfare is usually a good deal. Also, check Air Lingus. You will need to connect through Ireland but their one way fares are lower than most.

I echo the statements about Barcelona and Rome. Very different cities and very different experiences. Three days is plenty in Barcelona. Three days in Rome may not be enough. Whatever you end up doing should be great! Once you make your decision get Rick Steve's book for that city to help with your planning.

Good cruising!

We are heading out on the Ryndam for the first time next month, 12/9. We were on the Noordam 3 weeks last December, and frankly considered getting off 1/2 way through. I was shocked that they were the only ship we've sailed on in YEARS that did not have a healthy alternative menu. Everything was soaked in grease/oil. More shocking was no one seemed to care. The way they had food service set up in the Lido drove us crazy. Just my beef, but we finally got over it and just went with the flow.

We were on a 17-day cruise last November on the Noordam. We are on low-carb, protein, no fried food diets. We had no difficulty in finding "alternative" menus. Your observations are not what we experienced. There was always an alternative, i.e. fish, plain chicken, etc., etc. But, food is so subjective. Nonetheless, there was always a low calorie, or low carb alternative.

Do both. Take the Ryndam over, fly back on a R/T ticket and then fly to Rome next fall, returning on the Noordam. Solves that problem! Seriously, I have sailed both and love both, but I think I prefer to smaller ship, as well. The Noordam is beautiful, though, and I will sail her again in a heartbeat. And have you been to either or both cities? Does this factor into your decision?

We were just in Rome this past April for the first time. And need I say, that we LOVED it. We would return to see more as we were only there for three days. But having said that, we also loved Spain and have never been to Barcelona. So it's a toss up. I have heard good things about Barcelona too. So really cost is the deciding factor I suppose. But right now the flights are too expensive. We flew back from Rome this past April for only about $600 each. It was a special so I'm hoping for something the same.

We were just in Rome this past April for the first time. And need I say, that we LOVED it. We would return to see more as we were only there for three days. But having said that, we also loved Spain and have never been to Barcelona. So it's a toss up. I have heard good things about Barcelona too. So really cost is the deciding factor I suppose. But right now the flights are too expensive. We flew back from Rome this past April for only about $600 each. It was a special so I'm hoping for something the same.

The Noordam stopped in Barcelona, and the city just entranced me. There is such a feeling of life there! Since you have already seen Rome (which we also did for just three days), try Barcelona. The description I keep hearing is that it "rocks." We are taking the Ryndam TA from Barcelona next November and will spend four days pre-cruise in that city. We want a day to visit Montserrat. Check our the Spain ports of call on the CC boards. Loads of information. Whichever you choose, you will have a wonderful cruise.

I'm jumping the gun by a day, but I'm thankful we have such tough choices. Ryndam and Noordam are both great ships, and Rome and Barcelona great cities. I think I'd prefer exploring Barcelona to Rome right now... just my preference. I also prefer the smaller ships, but am definitely looking forward to my third trip on this Noordam in January. It's hard to see a down side.

The Noordam stopped in Barcelona, and the city just entranced me. There is such a feeling of life there! Since you have already seen Rome (which we also did for just three days), try Barcelona. The description I keep hearing is that it "rocks." We are taking the Ryndam TA from Barcelona next November and will spend four days pre-cruise in that city. We want a day to visit Montserrat. Check our the Spain ports of call on the CC boards. Loads of information. Whichever you choose, you will have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you everyone for your tips and advice. Yes, I think we would probably opt for Barcelona all things considered since we have never been there and from everything I hear, it is more reasonable as well.

We also would prefer sailing out of Tampa as it is easy for us from Toronto and we have friends near there so we could spend a few days with them precruise.

Another option as someone suggested would be to fly to Barcelona then take the cruise back to Tampa next November and from there fly home. I think that might work better for us. Also in November there are some great deals.

Thank you everyone for your tips and advice. Yes, I think we would probably opt for Barcelona all things considered since we have never been there and from everything I hear, it is more reasonable as well.

We also would prefer sailing out of Tampa as it is easy for us from Toronto and we have friends near there so we could spend a few days with them precruise.

Another option as someone suggested would be to fly to Barcelona then take the cruise back to Tampa next November and from there fly home. I think that might work better for us. Also in November there are some great deals.

If you decide on November, join our roll call!

Archived