Explorer vs Enchantment

4merlurker

We've only ever been on the explorer. Looking at the Enchantment to switch things up a bit and because it's only a few hours drive to the port. Will we be disappointed? It's just DH and I, no kids this time. We went on NCL's dawn once and came away a little disappointed because we LOVE the promenade on the voyager class ships.

~C

I have been on Enchantment 3 times and just sailed on Explorer in October.

The Explorer had more things to do. [inline skating, ice skating, putt putt golf, etc] But, I did not use those. The Ice show is also very nice.

However, I feel the pool deck on Enchantment is nicer than Explorer. When they stretched the ship they added a section and a "cantalever walkway" above. There is a nice pool bar with tables under one of the walkways. It can be very cozy on a windy day.

The solarium is totally enclosed and generally warm. I was shocked to find that it was not on Explorer.

I really liked the Explorer and we will likely sail her again. But, we will miss the Enchantment when she leaves Baltimore. She has a nice crew. You will have to hurry to book her by April 2013.

I have been on EX about a dozen times and EN three...they both have good points...i still get a little confused on EN as the WJ is forward...:o

That said she is a lovely ship and i am sure you will have a great time

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

We have done both Explorer and EnOTS. A lot will depend on what you want. As mentioned, Enchantment has a lovely Solarium where the pool is restricted for adults (due to depth of pool) Last time onboard, the were pretty strict telling kids they had to get out of the pool! However, kids can be in Solarium..just not in the pool.

Yep..no promenade but there is a definite charm to the EnOTS. One rumor has it that the current multi tiered Centrum will be leveled during the refurb to make a level area that can be a mini promenade. When you board ship, they have tables set up in the Centrum for all of the various options available on the cruise. Leveling the Centrum will make this a less crowded area.

Cruising the Chesapeake is also different. It takes 8 hours to reach the ocean. As you travel you can look back and see a line of red/green channel markers. It is usually a gentle start to the cruise. Yes, it does cost port time but we like sea days so that is not something that concerns us.

The crew on the EnOTS is super! I will miss her when she goes to Florida! Hopefully the Grandeur will be just as nice!

We have done both Explorer and EnOTS. A lot will depend on what you want. As mentioned, Enchantment has a lovely Solarium where the pool is restricted for adults (due to depth of pool) Last time onboard, the were pretty strict telling kids they had to get out of the pool! However, kids can be in Solarium..just not in the pool.

Yep..no promenade but there is a definite charm to the EnOTS. One rumor has it that the current multi tiered Centrum will be leveled during the refurb to make a level area that can be a mini promenade. When you board ship, they have tables set up in the Centrum for all of the various options available on the cruise. Leveling the Centrum will make this a less crowded area.

Cruising the Chesapeake is also different. It takes 8 hours to reach the ocean. As you travel you can look back and see a line of red/green channel markers. It is usually a gentle start to the cruise. Yes, it does cost port time but we like sea days so that is not something that concerns us.

The crew on the EnOTS is super! I will miss her when she goes to Florida! Hopefully the Grandeur will be just as nice!

That's not correct about the Solarium.

The rules on the Enchantment are the same on all Royal Caribbean.

You must be 16 or older to use the Solarium. That means BEING in the Solarium, except to grab something to eat or walk through. No pool, no lounger, no hot tub, no loitering.

That's not correct about the Solarium.

The rules on the Enchantment are the same on all Royal Caribbean.

You must be 16 or older to use the Solarium. That means BEING in the Solarium, except to grab something to eat or walk through. No pool, no lounger, no hot tub, no loitering.

I found that on the Enchantment they actually meant it.:p

On other ships I have been on the Solarium had kids in it and no one said a word. --mostly in hot tub.

Enchantment is way more crowded. You have to get to the shows really early to even get a seat let alone a good one.

Windjammer seats are limited too.

They stretched the ship a while back to add more cabins(people) but forgot to enlarge all the public areas.

We would pick Explorer over Enchantment everytime from now on, tried Enchantment once, that was enough.

JMHO

Enchantment is way more crowded. You have to get to the shows really early to even get a seat let alone a good one.

They stretched the ship a while back to add more cabins(people) but forgot to enlarge all the public areas.

We would pick Explorer over Enchantment everytime from now on, tried Enchantment once, that was enough.

JMHO

I'm pretty sure I still want to try the Enchantment. But that is one thing we were spoiled with on the Explorer--acres of free space. We were on NCL Dawn back when it sailed from NY and the ship was way too crowded. It kindof took away from my vacation. Does anyone know if or what will replace Enchantment in Baltimore?

Since the Enchantment is currently sailing from Baltimore in the winter, the solarium is available for families at certain hours of the day. The kids can go in the pool, but when family time is over they need to leave. I believe it was only for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon, then it was considered an adult area once the ship gets into warmer weather.

O

JMHO

Yeah, that is because you live in New Jersey. :rolleyes:

I live roughly equidistant from Bayonne & Baltimore.

I would rather drive to Baltimore on I-95 than to Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike, 365 days out of the year.

:)

O

Yeah, that is because you live in New Jersey. :rolleyes:

I live roughly equidistant from Bayonne & Baltimore.

I would rather drive to Baltimore on I-95 than to Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike, 365 days out of the year.

:)

70 miles to Bayonne and 115 miles to Baltimore, the extra 45 miles has nothing to do with it, It's the ship we do not care for in Baltimore.

We leave at 8am, after the rush hour, either on a Thursday or a Sunday and never had a problem.

Have even traveled the night before staying at a hotel, where we can leave the car parked and they shuttle us back and forth to the ship.

So it might take you a little longer to get there, you'e on vacation, what's the rush?

Jimbo:)

Just completed my second sailing on EN (this morning), and while on board I booked 2 more cruises, EX and EN.

I have the opposite problem, being a huge fan of the voyager class, but having never sailed out of NJ, I'm worried I won't like it.

When we switched from the Freedom to EN, I was worried I wouldn't like it. We absolutely love it. Obviously major differences between the two. Both have their upsides and downsides.

Solarium pool... Overrun by kids WAY too often. Parents getting angry because their kids weren't supposed to be using it. What did you expect, sailing out of baltimore in November? It was going to be warm outside? I did ask a pool attendant, why they weren't clearing the kids out, she told me "we're not allowed to enforce the rules"...?????? I did see a few "rogue" attendants kicking the kids out tho.

JMHO

That is one more time than I plan on trying Enchantment.

I'm the opposite. I don't like the dark feeling in the prominade. I like the multilevel windows in the centrum in the vision class ships. Since I don't tend to use the pool deck that's where I spend all my time. I wouldn't consider anything larger than a radiance class ship - personal preference.

The current plans I've heard for Enchantment isn't to do away with the centrum completely. It's to do away with the steps from deck 4-5 and from 5-6. This will allow them to make the dance floor on deck 4 larger and also allow them to make the centrium into an arial entertainment center something like they use the prominade for in the larger ships. It's similar to what they have done on Grandeur.

It's true about the crowding in the windjammer - we've just been on the ship enough to learn how to avoid most of it.

Archived