Best itinerary/area to cruise for SIGHTSEEING?

snackcracker675

I see that many of you have cruised MANY, MANY times ALL OVER the world. So far, we've only cruised the Caribbean and the Eastern Mediterranean.

What we want to know is what itinerary, ports, or areas of the world you would recommend for the BEST SIGHTSEEING. We're going to see pretty beaches at the end of December, but next time we're looking for something that leaves more of an impression on us- whether it's historical sights, visually interesting places or culturally interesting places.

Suggest away! Thanks!!!

If you can afford the time and airfare, try Australia and New Zealand. Spectacular scenery and a wide variety of sites to see, excellent services, friendly people, and one of our favorite cities in the world - Sydney. Closer to home, we love any trip that includes Vancouver (another 'world favorite'), Seattle and San Francisco - usually a repositioning cruise; adding Alaska on one end and San Diego on the other are special bonuses.

next time we're looking for something that leaves more of an impression on us- whether it's historical sights, visually interesting places or culturally interesting places.

A cruise taking in the main areas of Italy fits the bill 100%, ideally with one or two French/Greek/Spanish stops. We've travelled extensively in Europe, the Caribbean, the Middle East and quite a few places in the US. Most of the time independently but also on 6 cruises. Europe's beaches are nowhere in the league of those in the Caribbean and everywhere including Australia and New Zealand has some visually stunning scenery. But you can't beat cities like Rome, the Vatican, Florence, Venice, Pisa, Pompeii, Barcelona etc which all are jam packed with history, culture, and non stop things to see and appreciate. European cities are living history cities, many with buildings almost 1000 years old that are still in daily use.

It really depends on you and what you think is interesting or significant! What places do you WANT to see? Make a note and try to find a cruise that incorporates those places!

I don't give a fig about historical churches or architecture.....so places that have an abundance of those "sights" don't really thrill me.

So, it's up to you to do the research, figure out what you're trying to see and learn, and then, go there!

I love the Scottish Highlands and Islands, and if I ever win the lottery, I'll go on the tiny Hebridean Princess, which visits the small islands and unusual ports round Scotland. Unfortunately, she's beyond my reach, money wise.....The Queen has chartered her twice, for all her family to cruise on.

We haven't traveled as extensively as others, but so far Alaska is the one place that has left a lasting impression on my wife and me. We have been there twice. Once on a round trip from Seattle and in August on a southbound route from Seward to Vancouver.

Watching the Humpback whales breaching in Icy Strait Point, brown bears catching salmon, and listening to the crack and rumble of the Hubbard Glacier and then seeing it as it calved are memories that will last a lifetime.

Give it some thought. Alaska doesn't disappoint! :D

There are so many wonderful places that would fulfill your curiosity that it's hard to know where to start.

Here's another option, not only choose your ideal cruise but choose your ship just as wisely. Look at small ships that dock near city centers AND overnight in accessible ports.

One of our best cruises EVER was a Baltic cruise on Azamara. We docked within sight of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and pulled up into the middle of Helsinki within a two minute walk of the grand boulevard while glancing up at one of Helsinki's famous churches. We instantly felt the vibe of each of these cities before we ever left the ship.

Small ships may not be for everyone but they certainly offer a different aspect of cruising.

There are very small ships/boats sailing the Alaskan waters that take you off the beaten path. Talk about scenery!

Of course you can choose a river cruise too.

We all have so many wonderful options.

Archived