Man sues cruiseline over having to get up early to report to Immigration

"Even if I lose this case, I believe I will have exposed a great wrong," Bookbinder told the paper.

He lost: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/15/cruiser-lawsuit-wake-up-call/1706273/

Even funnier is the guy suing CCL over the harry chest contest.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/08/cruise-ship-lawsuit-hairy-chest/833699/1

Glad the judge dismissed that idiot's lawsuit, but should have made him pay all of the agent's and the cruise line's court costs. If you are going to waste the court's time with your nonsense, you should pay, and pay till it hurts!

Agree! Amazing....he paid 1/2 (and not all) of the travel agent's costs even though "there was no ice". And the judge said it was reasonable for him to sue the cruise line? Really??? On what planet would that be reasonable?

"Even if I lose this case, I believe I will have exposed a great wrong," Bookbinder told the paper.

He lost: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/15/cruiser-lawsuit-wake-up-call/1706273/

Even funnier is the guy suing CCL over the harry chest contest.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/08/cruise-ship-lawsuit-hairy-chest/833699/1

Well these were the laugh of the day :D

Hilarious.

We have been to Israel, and yes the immigration procedure there is very strict and long.

Unless the passengers are warned in advance in their tickets, I do believe it could be interpreted as arduous, and wrong to make an elderly person get up at 4 in the morning to be someplace at 5 in the morning.

If the cruise lines are going to return to Israel, and if Israel really wants them, there should be a mutual negotiation to try to resolve this nuisance or inconvenience.

The Israeli immigration police could board the ship at the previous port of call and conduct their interviews the day before reaching Israel.

Some of you may remember how horrible it was, after 9/11, to have to get up at 5 in the morning and re-clear immigration in St. Thomas and then again in San Juan.

That didn't last very long and there definitely are ways for the cruise line and the local government involved to negotiate a procedure that satisfies both their needs without inconveniencing the passenger.

I don't think the lawsuit is necessary -- although we probably never would have heard of the incident but for the lawsuit.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We have been to Israel, and yes the immigration procedure there is very strict and long.

Unless the passengers are warned in advance in their tickets, I do believe it could be interpreted as arduous, and wrong to make an elderly person get up at 4 in the morning to be someplace at 5 in the morning.

If the cruise lines are going to return to Israel, and if Israel really wants them, there should be a mutual negotiation to try to resolve this nuisance or inconvenience.

The Israeli immigration police could board the ship at the previous port of call and conduct their interviews the day before reaching Israel.

Some of you may remember how horrible it was, after 9/11, to have to get up at 5 in the morning and re-clear immigration in St. Thomas and then again in San Juan.

That didn't last very long and there definitely are ways for the cruise line and the local government involved to negotiate a procedure that satisfies both their needs without inconveniencing the passenger.

I don't think the lawsuit is necessary -- although we probably never would have heard of the incident but for the lawsuit.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Spoken like the true lawyer you are Gunther.

The Israelis do everything for a reason. Do you honestly think they are going to inconvienence themselves by putting immigration staff on a ship for 24 hours to satisfy the wants of a few? I think not. Not the Israelis I can assure you.

This is already done at several ports (immigration officers placed on a cruise ship in advance). The immigration officers I've seen like it because they get a vacation for a day.

But you're absolutely right. The Israelis are very special in many ways.

At the very least, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn passengers in their tickets that this may happen, so that it doesn't come as a surprise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This is already done at several ports (immigration officers placed on a cruise ship in advance). The immigration officers I've seen like it because they get a vacation for a day.

At the very least, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn passengers in their tickets that this may happen, so that it doesn't come as a surprise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I will agree with you about that. We certainly were given ample information on our Azamara cruise going into Israel.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I will agree with you about that. We certainly were given ample information on our Azamara cruise going into Israel.

Hello to all our US friends! :)

You might like to read the thread from this forum which gives you our 'take' on all of this.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1735109

You might also like to see the newspaper article referred to in the thread which explains the background a little more.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/David-Bookbinder-loses-legal-claim-cruise-ship-s/story-17327039-detail/story.html

As you will read Thomson and Thomas Cook did not fail to inform the passenger in advance of the early rise in Isreal for the simple reason they did not know about it either.

It was a last minute change of itinerary in response to security issues in Egypt. They had a choice: miss out a port of call altogether or hastily arrange an alternative port of call so their passengers could enjoy visiting a different place and once the decision was made to go to Isreal they would be subject to any restrictions imposed by Israeli immigration.

I don't suppose missing a port of call would have been met with approval either. Or would he have rather the Company had taken him to an area of political unrest? There's no pleasing some people!

We had to do the same in Israel in april this year and were not warned that it would happen until the night before, it was on my birthday and my partner had arranged breakfast in bed, the thomson rep on board who sold my partner the package was aware of the Israel thing but failed to tell us (she was hopeless anyway), Israel was a beautiful place to spend my 50th so I didnt mind lol! :D

Archived