I will NEVER say NEVER AGAIN - almost live from the Westerdam - November 25th

kazu

Hi Kazu! Thanks for posting a live from thread. I just booked the Westerdam tonight for a February sailing. I did no research, do not not know anything about the ship, and booked on a whim. I find that to be part of the adventure. I've sailed the Eurodam and the Veendam in the past and it looks like this ship is somewhere in the middle? Does the Westerdam have private lounge areas on the pool decks like the Eurodam does? She looks pretty so far from the pictures!

coka

[SIZE="4"]We enjoyed Grand Turk but no question it is geared to beach and pool people – we did go to town – but there really isn’t much there.

St. Maarten – we really did well being first (I think I already posted that) – really enjoyed the Dutch side for a change. We were done our serious walking before it was unbearably hot. I think I spent 15 minutes at the Boutique Telecom (the wifi spot) trying to get on! Cruise critic just kept turning and turning and turning! Got back on board in plenty of time and at 2:27 pm the CD announced that with 3 minutes to go there were 90 people to be on board. Since I have my guarantee cabin and we were on starboard side – I had to go up to the Lido to watch the port side – we wanted to see how many were running and how many were booed. Most of the people were on a shore excursion but there were some for whom the little shuttle vans were running back and forth from the gangway to the port entrance to try to get them there faster.

That night at the Captain’s reception the hotel manager told us that everyone did get on board – apparently in St. Maarten this is unusual – quite often because of the strange departure time some people don’t make it back to the ship! No question that truth is stranger than fiction!

Dinner was quite decent last night (Thursday night). I didn’t care for the choices on Wednesday night and although last night’s wasn’t my favourite choices it was edible indeed.

One thing I have noticed – our table of two is served very quickly. We can be in and out of the dining room in less than 1 and ½ hours (and one time 1 hour) if we so choose! Pretty impressive – no rush – no fuss – no running – our waiters seem friendly and make time for a bit of a chat here and there so I don’t think that they are being too rushed off their feet. At least it doesn’t appear that way.

OK – I know what you are all waiting for the Big LAS VEGAS Experience!!! Yes the Westerdam has broken new ground starting last night as we went to see the show (who could resist)? RECYCLED PERCUSSION boarded in St. Maarten and will be performing for 5 weeks. For those of you who watch America’s Got Talent – you will know the four of them. For those of you who didn’t (myself included) as you enter the theatre you are given a drumstick, something to bang on (hubcap, pail, something metal) and ear plugs!!! (get the drift??) So you make a lot of noise and protect your ear drums at the same time!!! It was truly a Las Vegas type of show so for those who have been craving Las Vegas top entertainment – I think you would be very happy with this!!

Well my friends it is very dark outside as we head on our sea day to Half Moon Cay. Looks like heavy rain and winds – captain has said that he is expecting 25 knot winds which is quite a bit in the Caribbean. I think the hint has been made that we may not make Half Moon Cay tomorrow. Either way Dh and I are ok, but I am pretty sure some others will not be. Actually we were hoping the ship would go to HMC and we would have the choice – go and enjoy or stay here and have the ship to ourselves!!! (yup, I am really bad).[/size]

Thank you for checking in.

That group sounds like a show we had once here in Pittsburgh which we left half way through -- Stomp -- too loud for us.

Hi Kazu! Thanks for posting a live from thread. I just booked the Westerdam tonight for a February sailing. I did no research, do not not know anything about the ship, and booked on a whim. I find that to be part of the adventure. I've sailed the Eurodam and the Veendam in the past and it looks like this ship is somewhere in the middle? Does the Westerdam have private lounge areas on the pool decks like the Eurodam does? She looks pretty so far from the pictures!

coka

I'm not Kazu but I can tell you that only the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam have poolside cabanas.

I'm not Kazu but I can tell you that only the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam have poolside cabanas.

Thank you Sapper1! We just spent the morning looking at videos and pictures on the Internet. We are getting more excited which will help us along with the upcoming winter months. I learned the Westerdam is a floating art gallery and one of her Captains is an expert horn blower. LOL

Coka

For KirkNC & anyone else interested in Canaletto – the charge on this ship is $10 and DOES NOT include a glass of wine. We are not Canaletto fans so I just went upstairs to ask and clarify.

Puerto Rico was great. Dh and I had been before and enjoyed El Morro – so this time we took the walk to La Fortaleza – came across a lovely little Spanish restaurant on the way and stopped for local beer and a light bite of their food. Ran into another couple on our cruise who also speak Spanish well. They had Ceviche and we shared a conch (and a local beer of course). Very, very good. We noticed a lot of locals there and figure that is always a good indicator. We were right (thank heavens).

Continued on to La Fortaleza and the only remaining gate. Very pretty views and impressive monuments and the wall itself of course. Then we hit the old part of Puerto Rico and enjoyed some of the ambience.

Sail away wasn’t until 8 pm so we had the advantage of two great views – this is one of my favourite ports to sail into. We sailed in at noon and the captain opened the forward decks so people who could catch the beautiful scenery as we sailed in. Of course sailing out we had the great view and lights of the evening.

OK – I haven’t found any moldy strawberries or anything like that but I did notice that the cushions on our deck chairs have a bit of the stuffing showing. OMG – my cruise has been ruined (kidding). Nothing too serious for us but I thought I should report in case it is something that bothers others.

We went to a reception hosted by the captain and hotel director (my faux pas as I believe I called him the hotel manager earlier – sorry about that). It was in the piano bar and very nice – but a tad crowded – I think their small group grew somehow!

Interesting talk with our Guest Relations Manager (who is married to the Chief Engineer). Her father was the one sent on a fact finding mission by HAL and discovered Half Moon Cay! He is the only person who has been given permission to have his ashes buried there. Enjoyed meeting another cc’er here and at other functions – but out of respect for her privacy I will resist the temptation to share who it was unless that person chooses to come on the thread! Nevertheless we enjoyed meeting them.

The MDR menu has taken a slight downturn IMO – the food is ok, but the choices are just not appealing – hopefully it heads back up. The service remains good and we are out in a very timely manner if we are so inclined. I just might be sold on two tops for the rest of my life – but honestly, from what I have seen in the Upper Dining Room all of the tables are getting great service and are probably done as quickly (or close enough) as we are.

All the waiters are very cheerful as is our wine steward – I don’t see any signs of stress etched in their faces.

Westerdam – Day 6

Well, here we are – another sea day and that means formal night as well as the Mariner lunch. DH and I were invited to the earlier portion for the medallion awards which was very nice (there aren’t that many medallion holders on this cruise as we only have our bronze).

Some interesting things I discovered – the Westerdam has the most repeat passengers of any ship in the Holland fleet (aside from the Prinsendam but as the Cruise Director said – she is an entity unto herself and doesn’t count). The Westerdam also has the most crew members requesting repeat contracts on this ship – quite a compliment to Captain P.J. indeed. (Crew can request assignments or just go with the flow – apparently many request the Westerdam!).

Mariner’s lunch really needs to be improved IMO – I know, I know I am fussy. The quiche was far too rich and not palatable at 11 a.m. The other choices were the Swiss Steak (loaded with sauce) or the salmon. The Greek Salad barely had any dressing on it.

Sea days are always interesting and then the focus becomes the ship and the service. Service has been very good overall, but unfortunately I was reminded today of why I don’t eat in the Lido often. The Mariner’s lunch was not that great and if food isn’t good I don’t eat so I thought I would nip up to the Lido and get a little salad. So I got a smidge and went to put on my dressing – none (I am a blue cheese dressing lover and this is one thing that HAL does very well most times!) The container is empty – so I stand and wait and look for someone to ask for blue cheese dressing. At long last I find someone and he gave me a very irritated look when I asked (I know, it’s not his job). After waiting 10 minutes he comes out with the dressing and poured it on my salad. It was liquid – like milk!! Definitely not a salad I wanted to eat. I told him that was not blue cheese dressing and said thanks but no thanks and left the Lido. Not as a happy camper I might add. Went back three times to see if it was finally replenished and it was not until they were about to close! Yup, go ahead call me fussy – was my cruise ruined? NO – was I pleased? NO. I’m kind of funny that way I expect decent food and dressing – sorry.

Before dinner we went to listen to the Adagio – sorry girls but you really need to practice – I don’t know if the wrong songs were chosen but there were several bad notes – a shame as they are anxious to please. The violinist was really struggling on a couple of songs. DH’s opinion as well as my own. One nice thing we saw – people on anytime (open ) dining (or whatever you want to call it) were waiting to be called so had a drink. When their table was ready to the bar steward carried the lady’s drink to the dining room for her. Very nice touch IMO.

Seems we were on a downward spiral as this was formal night – you know, the one you really look forward to. Now, I realize I got spoiled on the Prinsendam last year – but seriously? I ordered the escargots which I have always thought that HAL did a good job on – this is the FIRST time I have ever set my plate aside unfinished. They were semi-edible but very rubbery – it it’s not good I don’t eat it.

DH had a different appetizer which was very good. He also got a different main course which was very good. I got the surf and turf (I nearly said skip the turf but decided to make my waiter’s life easy). Anyways the lobster was quite decent – even nicer – they added the butter if you wanted it – it wasn’t drenched (took me back to the old days of HAL). However, if that piece of meat was a filet mignon – I’ll eat my hat – far too thin and certainly not the tenderness of filet – I would like to think that it was a sirloin but that might be being kind – or they sliced the filets as thinly as they could – I don’t know – but I took two bites and let it sit.

The rest of the meal was very good and the sorbets on this ship are absolutely out of this world!

Oh and by the way, rest assured no one has won the giant $100,000 jackpot bingo again so DH and I will return a bit poorer than when we left!

My word perfect was set in calibri - so I chaged the font to Verdana to match Cruise Critic 's and then it would let me do an advanced edit and change the font so it is readable.

I hope this makes sense - but it did work:)

Sorry to hear you didn't win jackpot bingo jacqui! I often wonder who wins those lol.

I won my 1st game of bingo finally this past october on X - i split a pot and got like 70 bucks but hey - it was better than never winning. That same time I also won a raffle prize which was a tote bag full of goodies including a tshirt, golf ball and tees, purse holder (you know for a table), a deck of cards and i forget what else. It was fun. Everyone told me I must have had great luck that day to win a game AND a raffle lol. Ironically, my fiance was sick that day from something - so he wasn't with me, so now I tell him he's bad luck for me at bingo LOL. He has won in my presence, though. On HAL. :-)

Fun to read your "live from," Kazu. :)

Westerdam is our favorite ship, and we have sailed on her four times.

We had our best cruise ever on the Westerdam, and Jason was the CD!

Was comedian Julie Barr aboard? We've seen her three times, twice on Westerdam.

I'm glad you got to sail with the mystery CC'er. :D

Sorry you were disappointed with the escargot, Jacqui. I look forward to that the entire cruise...so I know how you feel. Same thing happened to us on one of our Maasdam cruises. Then, on the Veendam, it wasn't served on the 2nd formal night. As luck would have it, we had reservations in the PG the next night and they prepared it for me!

We have enjoyed breakfast every day but one here when we did room service. Great service. Very attentive, but I did miss the pepper mill in the mornings - I know I'm a greedy gus.

finally we did dinner in the Pinnacle on the last night. And yes, we got the volcano thing everyone talks about. Really liked avoiding the razz ma tazz in the dining room. DH had the steak- dianne and I the rib eye (HUGE- bit mistake!! - only size wise;))

Food was very good - we had the caesar salad and I had the salmon mix;) as well. (yup, I had 2 appetizers). Our dinner was very good.

Now, if you want finnicky (and I can be) the caesar salad on this ship is not as good as the Prinsendam - but it is very good. The only thing I didn't care for was the spinach - too creamed or something - but everything else was absolutely delicious. For dessert we shared the chocolate indulgence and sorbet. Both were excellent and although DH does not usually approve sharing things at the dinner table, it worked out great.

Fabulous service and wonderful food. What a great way to finish off the final night.

After that we headed to the MDR to leave a little gift for our fab waiters and wine steward. They have been wonderful.;)

Enjoying your live review. We all waved like crazy on the sail away thread and were excited to see all of you. Question Kazu, have you had a chance to talk to Captain PJ yet? About the horn tooting?:D Just wondering as the Westerdam has not been doing a very good job and I was just thinking if anyone would talk to him you would.:D:eek::D

I did pass a little hint along :eek: but there wasn't much point - if I understood correctly Captain PJ will be leaving the Westerdam soon so any pleas would be a waste of time.

How was the Elegant Explorer's sail away? (I think it was yesterday????).

Thank you for checking in.

That group sounds like a show we had once here in Pittsburgh which we left half way through -- Stomp -- too loud for us.

This is Kazu's thread and I, of course, will not interfere.

Just wish to comment we went to Recycled Show and lasted 7 minutes. It just wasn't our taste and way too loud for our liking. We were warned, were handed ear plugs same as used in the Engine Room when we entered the show lounge but were curious to see some of the show.

We think it great HAL brought this group aboard, are trying other entertainments and commend the efforts for changes in shows offered but if you don't like loud, as Jason the CD said, "Stay Away". :D

Well, we are here at the Gallery One Double Tree Suites - so I at last have the freedom to post without worrying about time or money (ok money maybe, but not time;))

Here are some thoughts on the Westerdam.

The Good - the staff - totally wonderful - great stewards, great concierges - fabulous MDR service - I know envelopes are a choice but it was truly our pleasure to pass them one. In fact, without turning this into a tipping thread, if everyone had experiences like ours - I don`t know how they couldn`t . Lots of closed hands (if you get my drift) with tips in the Pinnacle this morning.

I have heard some comments that there will be no extra tips to the bar staff for the first time (apparently not timely enough). Overall, we have found them good - certainly more when we listened to the strings than we have seen on other ships other than the Prisendam.

Still Good - the MDR service and most of the food - I know I am fussy but I wish they would either do the formal night right or scrap offering the steak. JMO.

The BAD - Again totally subjective, but I don`t find this the most attractive ship I have been on. Frankly the Noordam has this one beat for MDR and Pinnacle Grill decor. The art work is nice - but I think someone should redo where some of it is. Some of the nicest pieces are hidden IMO.

I am only comparing this ship to like ships in her class - but she is still a great ship and we had fun. For decor I would probably pick two of the others over her!

The horn tooting on our sail a way. What a huge let down. After watching all those sail a ways I was looking forward to hearing that very lyrical horn tooting. Nothing hardly:eek::eek:

But we still had fun waving to you all.

The UGLY - the Lido service - no Blue Cheese dressing is like a fatality to me. The sandwiches were just so so. Service there was ok - but nothing seemed to be replenished. Really frustrating for us - and all we wanted was a light lunch or a sandwich - perhaps the fab MDR service had spoiled us - I am not sure - but frankly the indifference when I asked really turned me off - suffice it to say they did not get nines from me on the silly survey.

I know we have Lido fans out there - but I do not have the tolerance for bad service - sorry all!

Overall impression we enjoyed this ship - they have a fabulous staff and wonderful people on board overall.

I would put the PG staff up next to the Prinsendam (and that is a HUGE compliment).

Entertainment ironically was the reverse of what we normally experience - better in the Vista Lounge than listening to the two ladies play (we only went three nights due to the errors).

Anthony on the guitar and vocals is a huge plus for this ship. And while we enjoyed STYKER we chose not to return - there seemed to be a tendency to cater to certain people. So not my cup of tea.

Ask away if anyone has any questions and I will try to answer - thanks so much to everyone who has had the patience and tolerance to read my silly attempts at a live post.

btw - for those debating on hotels - if you book the better room at the Gallery One - it is quite decent. If you want to shop at Galleria it is great - they were great at checking us in early (requested online but not expected) - but it does not offer the free breakfast or the managers reception that the Embassy Suites does. This room is bigger but more costly.

For a standard stay, I will stick with Embassy Suites - I like the ambience in the courtyard and the pool better. For a quick stay where DH may want to go shopping and we are leaving too early to enjoy breakfast in the morning anyways - this makes sense. It is a lovely hotel and the staff have been very gracious and helpful. Welcomed back every time you walk through the door.

Nice spot - no bathtub (for those who care like moi) but the water taxi stop is right here - tons of restaurants close by - had a fabulous lunch at B52 - every meal guaranteed less than 452 calories and totally delicious (of course I am sure our glass of wine killed that). What was nice is that they offered a wine we do not see often at a very reasonable price and very good.

Ok I have droned on enough - fire away if you have questions - I will try to go back and make sure I have answered them all. Thanks again for following:):)

Thank you Jacqui for your informative review. Glad you're enjoying The Gallery One, did you get your chocolate chip cookie? Some great restaurants in that area. Haven't tried Seasons 52 glad you liked it. I'll have to make it a point the next time I'm in FLL. I enjoy Truluck's, I especially enjoy their stone crabs when in season. Well, welcome back home, almost home at least....safe travels.

Just wish to comment we went to Recycled Show and lasted 7 minutes. It just wasn't our taste and way too loud for our liking. We were warned, were handed ear plugs same as used in the Engine Room when we entered the show lounge but were curious to see some of the show.

We think it great HAL brought this group aboard, are trying other entertainments and commend the efforts for changes in shows offered but if you don't like loud, as Jason the CD said, "Stay Away". :D

DH reminded me that we only stayed for 1 of 3 acts. The show was part of our Broadway Packway package we used to do.

And no ear plugs were given out.

Hi Jacqui ...

And thanks for the great reads. I enjoyed every post.

What is the name of the Guest Relations Manager (who's married to the Chief Engineer)? I believe we may have cruised with them in the past and I just cannot remember her name ...

Thanks so much

Carol in SC

Thank you Jacqui for your informative review. Glad you're enjoying The Gallery One, did you get your chocolate chip cookie? Some great restaurants in that area. Haven't tried Seasons 52 glad you liked it. I'll have to make it a point the next time I'm in FLL. I enjoy Truluck's, I especially enjoy their stone crabs when in season. Well, welcome back home, almost home at least....safe travels.

Thanks Josie - yes we got our cookies - DH ate his - I ate barely a smidge of mine - 524 calories - sorry but that's a waste IMO - if it didn't have chocolate I confess I would have gobbled it down - I am not a chocolate fan (apologies to Ruth). Yes there are great restaurants in both areas - Embassy Suites and Gallery One. The plus is that Gallery One can be more spacious but you really have to step up to get it. I actually like the ambience better at Embassy - rooms might be smaller but the pool area and the other stuff is nicer. But no one welcomes you back like here at the Gallery (kind of reminds me of HAL) = there is no right answer - either is a plus depending upon what you want. Unfortunately I had to place the infamous wake up call and it will be time to go back to reality tomorrow. We've had fun and a great time!

Is the percussion group alternating weeks between the two ships or is there a particular week they are switching out? I am more interested of course in the week of 12/16-23 when I am cruising.

Thanks so much for your review!

Sorry Jason wasn't clear on this - I kind of thought it was the next 5 weeks - but I amy well have misunderstood - he was so excited to have them it was scary:D It was not our cup of tea but we hung in and enjoyed watching everyone else have fun and DH was banging away:D

Jump in any time Judy - everyone can share their thoughts (I made the same offer to our roll call). I know you don't go on roll calls - but that was the offer - I want people to see different impressions - many people see cruises through many different eyes or experiences;)

It was our pleasure to meet the two of you and hope you have safe travels home tomorrow!

I thought it was interesting that HAL was trying this - not my cup of tea - but you know - it was interesting to see the reaction. While not my cup of tea - I have been known to go with change and we stayed with the whole thing! (my ear plugs were in). They are very talented men and quite humourous as well. I am really pleased that HAL is trying something different ;) Las Vegas isn't necessarily our style but it is what a lot of people yearn for - so if that's what they want they will get it with this.

Please, Judy - if your impressions or thoughts are different than mine and my DH's please share - impressions are so subjective - and the more opinions the better.

I think we can all agree that this ship has lost the title of the Queen of Horns:eek:

Archived