time to leave?

maui65

Many people have flights to get, so their departure is timed to make the flight. Others have a long drive, so they get off early to get on the way. Still others have a post cruise package with the cruise line. Their departures are usually timed to arrive at the hotel when the rooms are ready.

The rest get off when they want. We usually stay over for a couple of days, but make out own reservations for the hotel. We get off late (10am or so).

I live on the Left Coast so if I'm getting off the ship in FLL I'll get off late as I'll be staying over for a day or so (I'll have a 6 a.m. flight back to the coast.) If the end is in SFO or LAX, I'll get off early so I can catch an early train home.

What time do most people leave on the last day of a cruise? The itinerary says we get back to Port Canaveral at 6 am, but what time do people have to actually leave?

We do self disembarkation and are in the first wave of passengers getting off.

The time people leave is based mostly on what time their flights leave, so it varies. They will give you luggage tags that are color coded and they announce the various colors in groups, depending on your flight times. And depending on how things go with US Customs and Immigration and clearing the ship, they start disembarking the first groups anywhere from 7:30 to 9---the later they start usually means problems with Immigration.

The crew wants everyone off ASAP....lingering isn't pleasant....any and all service you've become accustomed to is conspicuously missing on the last morning. Remember, they have a new batch of anxious passengers to board...starting at around 11am....

They aim to have EVERYONE gone by 10am, if not earlier. Your cruise ends when you go to bed the last night!

If customs and immigrations starts late, then you might get off later than 9:30 or so The cruise lines have no control over this. That's why it's a good idea not to book a really early flight out. Take the arrival time on the cruise itinerary as the time the ship may arrive in port; not the time, you'll be able to get off the ship.

We never go with self-disembarkation. Besides having too much stuff (you need to be able to handle ALL your luggage and stuff), we don't believe in pushing ahead of others who may have a greater need to be off the ship.

At Fort Lauderdale this past April (when we disembarked), we just went at our scheduled time (9:30 or 10), since our flight did not leave FLL until 5:30pm. We'll do the same next year out of Civitavecchia, since we are leaving the following morning out of FCO.

As a sidenote, we found the personnel (U.S. Customs and other people working at the port) to be QUITE pleasant, but maybe that was because we were so organized. The better organized you are, the smoother disembarkation should be.

If all goes "on schedule" the first folks usually start disembarking 7:30-ish (self walk-off or whatever you line calls that procedure. Usually the last group to get off is by 10:30-ish After the "self walk-off" it's by group (specific color and/or number) which is pretty much determined by what time folks have flights scheduled and the later groups are usually folks who are either staying in the area or are using some type of transportation that does not have time restraints (like their own auto). Towards the end of the cruise you'll get a questionaire in your cabin asking how/what kind/what time of transportation you'll be taking after disembarking and your group time will be determined by that.

Archived