Boarding ship without all passengers

mikeyg0

Hello,

I'm going on the Solstice next year and in my cabin there are two people booked. The other person however is no longer coming (In Australia all deposits are non-refundable so it would have cost a lot more to remove them from the booking and pay the single supplement)

What happens when I get to the pier and try to check in without them? Has anyone ever done this before?

My Xpress Pass lists me as the 'Primary Xpress Pass Holder' however it also lists the other person as 'included'. Will I be able to board even though they won't be checking in with me?

Thanks!

I've spoken to my travel agent and she said the only thing I can do is pay the ridiculous extra fees to remove the other person from the booking, and that she can't advise me what will happen if I try check in without the other person.

If I call Celebrity won't they just tell me to speak to my TA? :/

I was hoping someone from CC had previously checked in/sailed without someone from their booking and could let me know how it went.

I don't think there will be any problem checking in by yourself. Frequently one person in a stateroom checks in before the other person. For all they will know at the check-in station, your companion is simply delayed, or on a different flight.

Is it too late to find a different travel companion? You might be able to change the second person on the booking. Rules for that vary, but recently there was a thread about someone asking the question, can it be done even after final payment, and they were successful.

Otherwise I hope that the other person pays their half, even though they cancelled. Did they have travel insurance? Might that kick in?

On the other hand, if you were in a relationship that broke up, and you paid for both tickets, that's the same price as if you were in a single, other than the extra port fees.

This is an interesting scenario. I"m assuming that final payments have not been made. If that is the case, I would think a flag would go up with Celebrity when they were due and they'd be contacting your TA to see what was up. At that point they'll probably insist you go to a single person rate.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has gone thru this before.

LOL, I will tell you my wife wanted to get off several times without me at ports and go home, never actually happened though.:D

I made final payment the other day and our Xpress Passes have been issued. Like I said it was cheaper to pay for the two of us than remove the second passenger and have only me in the booking.

But I think I'm going to have to pay the extra money just for peace of mind :( unless someone else has sailed successfully in the same situation?? Lol

Truly, I think you are making too much of this. I'm reasonably sure that when you check in, just say that your companion isn't feeling well and couldn't come along. In essence you have already paid the single price, and then some, with the extra port charges, since Celebrity generally sells single rooms for 200% of the per-person price. There shouldn't be a problem.

Well, lots of people forget to even bring their Xpress Pass with them, or they pack it, or lose it, and they just end up giving the information to the check-in desk personnel who enter it all manually. I don't think that having the Xpress Pass done ahead of time is all that critical to this situation. Just don't show it to them and start as if you had never done the Xpress Pass at all.

If your partner was travelling separately there is surely a possibility that they could miss their flight, have their flight cancelled, get stuck in a traffic jam, become unwell on the morning of the cruise etc etc etc.

I am sure that if someone doesn't turn up then the ship will sail without them (and it would become their responsibility to join the ship later if possible).

Just check in as normal and act as though you fully expect your cabin mate to arrive later.

If you are eventually questioned as to their whereabouts you can always say you have no idea (perhaps looking somewhat distressed) or say that you have just received a call telling you that they are not going to be able to get there in time.

I imagine most sailings have a few people that don't turn up for whatever reason.

First off - it is not uncommon for people to check in separately. Delayed flights, etc.

Next - it is also not uncommon that people MISS the boat. Again, delayed or missed flights.

Personally.... assuming you do not find someone else to go with you... I would just go with the... opps.... they missed the ship.

I had a friend who had to cancel after final payment a couple of weeks ago, and we were able to just switch the name of the person in the cabin. We were charged a $50 fee (which I suspect was an agency charge more than a Celebrity charge).

If I were you, I'd find someone to take their place.

However, if that's not possible, I imagine you'll have no problem boarding without them. Just tell them that your friend has Norovirus and decided to stay home. I doubt they'd argue with that. :D

If final payment was already made and both of you got paid then they already have their money for the cabin. They will think that the person missed the ship. If the other person hasn't paid you would think that they would catch it and charge you the full cost of the cabin. It is probably nothing new and Would think that the cruise lines have something in effect to prevent the single supplement loophole from happening.

On my last year's booking on Solstice (via US on-line agency), I was able to exchange the 2nd passenger's name with no problem at all - and no fee !

It says in the rules somewhere that at least 1 of the original passengers has to be same, other one can be changed (I think up to 48 or 72 hours before sailing).

Therefore you can maybe find another person to come along and share the cost ?

You and your TA are over thinking this.

People miss cruises and forfeit their cruise fare all of the time for issues related to illness or any number of issues that arise. If your friend's same issue came up at the very last minute and they couldn't make it then I can't imagine Celebrity would deny you boarding nor charge you a penalty. Why should things be different because your friend issue came up weeks before the cruise as opposed to the day of the cruise?

I'd just leave things as they are and go on your own. Have your friend call them the day of the cruise and report that they will bot be sailing, or you can go to guest relations once you are on board and tell them you heard from your friend and that he can't make the cruise. You won't be lying - just don't tell them that you heard it weeks ago - other than that the circumstances are the same.

Please do NOT worry. We were on a cruise last year with friends. One good friend booked with her mom and she was not able to come. Our friend just had the whole room to herself. As long as Celebrity got their money, they do not care if they do not have to feed another mouth..... HAve a great cruise

When you check-in, simply tell the agent that the other party is not going to sail. No problem. It happens all of the time. Of course a good agent will ask why, but the answer is not important.

Basically the ship needs to know if the other guest will be joining later or not.

David

Go back into the system and redo the Express Pass, Make it so you are only checking in for yourself.

Yes, go in to your online check in and remove other person authorization from your credit card account in the available payment method section. Then register them separately with a cash payment account by clicking on ADD ACCOUNT across from the Cash Account option which is the second blue tab down. Doing this will provide each of you with a separate Xpress Pass to board with and the other person can be simply a no show..

attachment.php?attachmentid=253351&d=1354152705

Xcash.jpg.6ec9634a0ab67050e9f05fea246a404b.jpg

Archived