3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

Somebody on one of my cruises did. :)

bth_XXX_zps32e6e2af.jpg

Three Questions:

1. Are you sure it is an air mattress and someone didn't move their regular mattress onto the veranda. :confused:

2. Did you see them doing anything interesting out there :eek:

3. Why were you spending so much time looking around the divider at your neighbor's veranda and even taking pictures of it! :(

Three Questions:

1. Are you sure it is an air mattress and someone didn't move their regular mattress onto the veranda. :confused:

3. Why were you spending so much time looking around the divider at your neighbor's veranda and even taking pictures of it! :(

1. No!

2. I never saw anybody on the balcony at any time.

3. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the balcony next door. I went out to take a picture the morning we were coming into port. I stood by the railing to take my pictures and that's what I saw. Thought it unusual so took a picture.

1. No!

2. I never saw anybody on the balcony at any time.

3. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the balcony next door. I went out to take a picture the morning we were coming into port. I stood by the railing to take my pictures and that's what I saw. Thought it unusual so took a picture.

If you did , you wouldn't be able to post the picture of it anyway.:D

My DD and her DH recently took his (widowed) mother on a 14-day cruise with them. They shared a cabin and it all worked out well.

Firstly, my DD loves her MIL and gets on well with her. That's important, as it would never have worked out otherwise.

The cabin was set up with the couch made up as a single bed. A single mattress was placed over the top of the couch. That way, no fold-out bed made the cabin smaller.

The MIL was an early riser and her bed was near the balcony door. When she woke up, she took a book and used the balcony as an extension of "her" bedroom. She went out there until my DD and her DH woke up.

The only man in the room went to the gym and used the shower there each morning, while the two women shared bathroom time in the cabin. They did the same in the evenings, when getting ready for dinner.

As for "alone time", they worked out some sort of a daytime schedule that suited all of them.

They all enjoyed their cruise and agreed that they would be happy to do the same again.

My DD and her DH recently took his (widowed) mother on a 14-day cruise with them. They shared a cabin and it all worked out well.

Firstly, my DD loves her MIL and gets on well with her. That's important, as it would never have worked out otherwise.

The cabin was set up with the couch made up as a single bed. A single mattress was placed over the top of the couch. That way, no fold-out bed made the cabin smaller.

The MIL was an early riser and her bed was near the balcony door. When she woke up, she took a book and used the balcony as an extension of "her" bedroom. She went out there until my DD and her DH woke up.

The only man in the room went to the gym and used the shower there each morning, while the two women shared bathroom time in the cabin. They did the same in the evenings, when getting ready for dinner.

As for "alone time", they worked out some sort of a daytime schedule that suited all of them.

They all enjoyed their cruise and agreed that they would be happy to do the same again.

Sounds great but now add 2 more adults, one having a slight handicap...! Still haven't changed my mind that 5 is too many in one cabin esp for more than a week, with one being a senior getting up early and likely going to bed early and one with a slight mobility issue but the poster wishes to try it and I wish them all the best.

Please post here after your cruise - I am sure many would like to know how it all worked out - never know but perhaps then more will want to travel like sardines..:D

Please keep safe all & enjoy a great Xmas!! :)

Edited by cruisecrasy

Sounds great but now add 2 more adults, one having a slight handicap...! Still haven't changed my mind that 5 is too many in one cabin esp for more than a week, with one being a senior getting up early and likely going to bed early and one with a slight mobility issue but the poster wishes to try it and I wish them all the best.

Please post here after your cruise - I am sure many would like to know how it all worked out - never know but perhaps then more will want to travel like sardines..:D

Please keep safe all & enjoy a great Xmas!! :)

I would never, ever contemplate 5 people in one cabin, no matter how much I loved them all!

The bathroom logistics alone would be a killer for me.

I would never, ever contemplate 5 people in one cabin, no matter how much I loved them all!

The bathroom logistics alone would be a killer for me.

But, you know, I never dress in the bathroom. I shower, brush my teeth, put on a robe, go into the cabin to do my hair and makeup.

And, as has been pointed out, the men folk might want to just run down to the gym showers.

But, you know, I never dress in the bathroom. I shower, brush my teeth, put on a robe, go into the cabin to do my hair and makeup.

And, as has been pointed out, the men folk might want to just run down to the gym showers.

Now that this has become five in a room, could the post be a hoax? I would imagine that 5 adults in a regular cabin would not be allowed by Celebrity.

:---o

Now that this has become five in a room, could the post be a hoax? I would imagine that 5 adults in a regular cabin would not be allowed by Celebrity.

Hi, I do not think the op is a hoax. Not sure what Celebrity allows

but in my opinion, I think the op is asking about her family.

She isn't talking about a regular cabin; once she decided to consider having her sister and brother-in-law come, she started thinking about the family cabin.

I just read on a member review that you MUST have five people in order to book the family cabin on the Silhouette.

I feel sure it isn't a hoax.

Edited by WhansaMi
added information

She isn't talking about a regular cabin; once she decided to consider having her sister and brother-in-law come, she started thinking about the family cabin.

I just read on a member review that you MUST have five people in order to book the family cabin on the Silhouette.

I feel sure it isn't a hoax.

I am of the impression that the silhouette family cabin has two bedrooms. I thought the family was on a different ship. The cost of that cabin is more then the cost of two balcony obstructed view cabins with two bathrooms, more storage capacity etc The op said the cruise was two weeks!

If you read everything... instead of skipping to the end of this thread you will see how it unfolded and appreciate that it isn't a hoax.

Also, I've got too much planning to do to waste time cooking up a story/hoax like this.

Well the big day was Christmas Day. We told Mum and she was absolutely shell shocked.

I presented her with an 8 page "brochure" of sorts, outlining everything... with pictures of the cabin, the balcony, the ship etc... (thank you so much to people that have shared photos of cabins on here... you made this job so much easier)

When it finally sunk in she started to cry. I think she's just so grateful to have 2 daughters and 2 sons-in-law that love her so much they want to travel with her! Sounds so foreign doesn't it? I don't know why we all get on so well... we just do. None of my friends have a relationship with their mothers like I do with mine... so I feel fortunate too.

Anyway... she's on board now (so to speak) and now that she's had time to absorb it all she's excited and thinking ahead to what she has to do between now and then.

I did do a video and I will put it up here soon.

And I do intend to keep everyone updated on how it goes too! So if you are keen to know, subscribe to this thread so you don't miss out.

I'll take photos of the cabin with 5 people's junk in it... to show that it CAN be done without everyone killing each other.

(of course if I never give any updates at the end of November, I suggest you start searching news websites for cruise murder stories!!) :eek:

Thanks to everyone for their input... I hope to report that every bit of it helped.

Carol

If you read everything... instead of skipping to the end of this thread you will see how it unfolded and appreciate that it isn't a hoax.

Also, I've got too much planning to do to waste time cooking up a story/hoax like this.

Well the big day was Christmas Day. We told Mum and she was absolutely shell shocked.

I presented her with an 8 page "brochure" of sorts, outlining everything... with pictures of the cabin, the balcony, the ship etc... (thank you so much to people that have shared photos of cabins on here... you made this job so much easier)

When it finally sunk in she started to cry. I think she's just so grateful to have 2 daughters and 2 sons-in-law that love her so much they want to travel with her! Sounds so foreign doesn't it? I don't know why we all get on so well... we just do. None of my friends have a relationship with their mothers like I do with mine... so I feel fortunate too.

Anyway... she's on board now (so to speak) and now that she's had time to absorb it all she's excited and thinking ahead to what she has to do between now and then.

I did do a video and I will put it up here soon.

And I do intend to keep everyone updated on how it goes too! So if you are keen to know, subscribe to this thread so you don't miss out.

I'll take photos of the cabin with 5 people's junk in it... to show that it CAN be done without everyone killing each other.

(of course if I never give any updates at the end of November, I suggest you start searching news websites for cruise murder stories!!) :eek:

Thanks to everyone for their input... I hope to report that every bit of it helped.

Carol

Hi Carol, have you or your husband cruised before?

I am of the impression that the silhouette family cabin has two bedrooms. I thought the family was on a different ship. The cost of that cabin is more then the cost of two balcony obstructed view cabins with two bathrooms, more storage capacity etc The op said the cruise was two weeks!

I have seen the family cabin on Silhouette and it is huge! Two bedrooms but one had a bunk bed for two children. There was also a foldout couch in the living room. Perfect for two adults and 3 children.

It was less expensive for the family that took that on the transatlantic verses two staterooms. They did need 5 people and had to call to book.

...Well the big day was Christmas Day. We told Mum and she was absolutely shell shocked...

(of course if I never give any updates at the end of November, I suggest you start searching news websites for cruise murder stories!!) :eek:...Carol

I have been subscribed to this thread. When I heard you, your husband and your mother in a cabin I was doubtful that you would every speak again. Then when I heard 5, even in an FV, I KNEW you'd never speak again. Having gotten this far, if the rest of your family has half the sense of humor that you have, I think you might just pull this off. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted. Happy New Year to each of you five slightly crazy but wonderful people! I'd say Mum raised you right.

Thom

Hi Carol, have you or your husband cruised before?

Yep... we set sail on the 1 year anniversary of our first cruise.

So I'm looking at that in a positive light. After this cruise, 50% of our cruising experience will be making 5 people in 1 cabin happy.

Anything after that is going to feel luxuriously spacious! :D

I have seen the family cabin on Silhouette and it is huge! Two bedrooms but one had a bunk bed for two children. There was also a foldout couch in the living room. Perfect for two adults and 3 children.

It was less expensive for the family that took that on the transatlantic verses two staterooms. They did need 5 people and had to call to book.

If this cruise is a success and we all enjoy travelling together, we might look at trying a different ship.

The Millennium was the ship of choice this time as we wanted to introduce our family to her AND we liked the itinerary.

Our next cruise will be cheaper for us as we'll only be paying for ourselves so this time next year I might be checking out the Silhouette's list of cruises - and possibly the family cabin again.

Bruce and I do plan on doing some land based traveling too (we want to go to the UK) but breaking this addiction to cruising isn't going to be easy!

I wonder if the Silhouette has any cruises that start or end in the UK? :D

I have been subscribed to this thread. When I heard you, your husband and your mother in a cabin I was doubtful that you would every speak again. Then when I heard 5, even in an FV, I KNEW you'd never speak again. Having gotten this far, if the rest of your family has half the sense of humor that you have, I think you might just pull this off. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted. Happy New Year to each of you five slightly crazy but wonderful people! I'd say Mum raised you right.

Thom

Thanks Thom! ALL the credit for the person I am today goes to my Mum! She raised my sister and I on her own after my father left us when she was just 22. With nowhere to live, no money coming in and a handicapped daughter... the odds were stacked against her successfully raising her family the way she wanted to.

I'll give you just one story that shows her determination.

When it was time for my sister to go to school, public transport from home to school was almost non-existent. The train station near our house had a huge staircase that was impossible for Mum to negotiate with Lynn.

This meant that Lynn had to board in at her school through the week. The school was on the same grounds as a geriatric hospital and that's where the kids had to stay... in a hospital with all the old people. It was far from ideal.

Mum went into battle with the (Australian) government to get them to include Lynn (and one other child) on a taxi run to her school each day so she could live at home with us.

She won!

This woman would have moved heaven and earth for us... even today... so THAT is why we are taking her on this trip.

I can't wait!!!

Oh and Happy New Year to you too Thom!!! :D

Thanks Thom! ALL the credit for the person I am today goes to my Mum! She raised my sister and I on her own after my father left us when she was just 22. With nowhere to live, no money coming in and a handicapped daughter... the odds were stacked against her successfully raising her family the way she wanted to.

I'll give you just one story that shows her determination.

When it was time for my sister to go to school, public transport from home to school was almost non-existent. The train station near our house had a huge staircase that was impossible for Mum to negotiate with Lynn.

This meant that Lynn had to board in at her school through the week. The school was on the same grounds as a geriatric hospital and that's where the kids had to stay... in a hospital with all the old people. It was far from ideal.

Mum went into battle with the (Australian) government to get them to include Lynn (and one other child) on a taxi run to her school each day so she could live at home with us.

She won!

This woman would have moved heaven and earth for us... even today... so THAT is why we are taking her on this trip.

I can't wait!!!

Oh and Happy New Year to you too Thom!!! :D

our mum IS the greatest mum in the world... ans i have the GREATEST sister that i love very much

lynn... xxxx

Edited by granny_bear

I'm so happy you decided to go for it :)

Last year we took my mom, and my MIL with us on a cruise. There were 6 of us total so we did 2 cabins, they were next to each other, not connecting, but connecting balconies.

We had fun, some rough patches over activities, my MIL likes to go,go,go and my mom likes to 'just hang out' so once we got past that we were fine.

I know you will have a wonderful time since you have such a great attitude about the trip.