3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

We have had a FV on the Eclipse twice - once with 5 people. The only downside was the one bathroom, but we managed. Make sure they bring person number 5 the eggcrate for the top of the sofa. It is quite uncomfortable and contrary to popular belief, it is not a fold out sofa nor a trundle. Just the regular couch.

Also, it's quite a hike to the midship elevators, so if there are any mobility issues you may want to rent a scooter. The good thing about the long walk was that it helped me not to gain any weight! Here's a picture of the room made up for 5 people. Have a great time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357182551.572778.jpg.afd5a40bf1d4c899311a3dd9623580f1.jpg

We have had a FV on the Eclipse twice - once with 5 people. The only downside was the one bathroom, but we managed. Make sure they bring person number 5 the eggcrate for the top of the sofa. It is quite uncomfortable and contrary to popular belief, it is not a fold out sofa nor a trundle. Just the regular couch.

Also, it's quite a hike to the midship elevators, so if there are any mobility issues you may want to rent a scooter. The good thing about the long walk was that it helped me not to gain any weight! Here's a picture of the room made up for 5 people. Have a great time!

[ATTACH]256195[/ATTACH]

Hi.. i have some mobility issues but by the time we go on our cruise, i'll be abit fitter hopefully...

Hi.. i have some mobility issues but by the time we go on our cruise, i'll be abit fitter hopefully...

The nice warm air makes everyone walk better. My MIL went with one time and has to use a cane due to double knee replacements. After a couple days of moving in the warmness and special "medicine" called a Margratini which we obtained from the pharmacist's counter at the Martini Bar :D She left the cane in the room the rest of the cruise and proclaimed on more than one occasion that she hadn't felt that good in years!!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the room, etc. If you can get one on the 8th floor, you will have a much bigger balcony. 7th floor ones are tiny and claustrophobic to me. Still, the room is so worth it!

The nice warm air makes everyone walk better. My MIL went with one time and has to use a cane due to double knee replacements. After a couple days of moving in the warmness and special "medicine" called a Margratini which we obtained from the pharmacist's counter at the Martini Bar :D She left the cane in the room the rest of the cruise and proclaimed on more than one occasion that she hadn't felt that good in years!!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the room, etc. If you can get one on the 8th floor, you will have a much bigger balcony. 7th floor ones are tiny and claustrophobic to me. Still, the room is so worth it!

we're going on the celebrity Millennium and it's the 7th floor cabin 7202 the floor plan looks heaps huge it's right at the back of the ship.. i so can't wait.

I thought you were going on the Silhouette. I guess I'm getting confused on all these different comments. I have never been on an M-Class ship, but I have seen pictures and read reviews. They look very nice.

Well whichever ship you are going on, you can't go wrong. I wish you all a fabulous cruise!!!!

I think we all might try some of that special medicine! It might make us forget the small problems that might arise.

We are going on the Millennium and I saw a post on here where someone actually measured the balconies of the FV cabins. The one we are in is the biggest of the lot thankfully.

Here's a picture borrowed from someone on here (forgive me). It doesn't look too small...

872269215_millennium7202balcony1.jpg.982654db2aba7784a4b7e03ee72aaf34.jpg

Besides showers and sleeping... I think all our cabin time will be spent out there. I can't wait!!!

I thought you were going on the Silhouette. I guess I'm getting confused on all these different comments. I have never been on an M-Class ship, but I have seen pictures and read reviews. They look very nice.

Well whichever ship you are going on, you can't go wrong. I wish you all a fabulous cruise!!!!

I had a 30 minute phone call between starting that last reply and posting it.

Then I saw the confusion had been sorted already. We did talk about the Silhouette... so it's understandable to mix it up.

People have been so confused by my growing list of cabin buddies that they thought it was all a hoax... so don't feel bad... :D

Thanks for your well wishes.

My advice would be - don't do it.

Those cabins are really only designed for two adults and maybe a young child, not three adults with three suitcase full of clothes. Besides there are only two chairs on the balcony and just about enough room for two out there. What if one of you gets ill? No privacy and no escape.

I am sure on paper it looks attractive, but as others have said, you will fall out very quickly in such a confined space.

Maybe upgrade to a suite??

My advice would be - don't do it.

Those cabins are really only designed for two adults and maybe a young child, not three adults with three suitcase full of clothes. Besides there are only two chairs on the balcony and just about enough room for two out there. What if one of you gets ill? No privacy and no escape.

I am sure on paper it looks attractive, but as others have said, you will fall out very quickly in such a confined space.

Maybe upgrade to a suite??

Thanks for your post but I'm willing to bet you haven't read the whole story.

Originally we were going to have 3 in a 2C cabin with a triangular balcony.

Then we thought 3 would be a tad better in a CC class - still with the triangular balcony.

Now it's 5 people in an AFT FV cabin with more cabin room and a HUGE balcony.

So while we all know it's going to be snug, it's not quite the image you have in your head... so I'm guessing your skipped a few posts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well we are home... we are all still friends... and we had a great time!!

Would we do it again? The answer is an unequivocal YES!! :D

Now everyone said that 3 in a room (when one is the mother-in-law) wouldn't be ideal... and when that number changed to 5 (with the addition of my sister and brother-in-law) everyone said "Don't do it" "You're crazy"!!

I'm here to tell you that (in my experience) it all depends on the people. In our case we all get on incredibly well. Anyone else considering doing this would need that same connection or at least be prepared to be flexible.

So... first things first. I should prove my point that we all survived the trip and that we could still be in each other's company on the last days of the 4 weeks we spent together (8 days in Hawaii and then 18 days on the ship).

Here's a photo of us in Sydney... on the final day...

11313377035_8c9d39471d.jpg

Here's one in the lift mucking around with the mirrors...

11313388155_6d4ebcf6ac.jpg

In case you haven't read the whole story... we were in an aft family cabin on Celebrity Millennium (7202). The living room converts into the second bedroom with a sofa bed for 2 and a 3 seater lounge for 1.

11313399935_d3d8711fd9.jpg

We had the extra padding added to these 2 beds to make them more comfortable. Mum said the single bed was REALLY comfortable. My sister and her husband are used to a really soft mattress so they weren't super comfortable in the sofa bed (but they did have lots of afternoon naps too so it wasn't too bad I hope).

Storage for 5 suitcases wasn't a problem either. Three easily went under our bed (could probably have fit 4 if we had to). The other 2 were stood up on the far end of the bench you can see in that last photo on the right hand side.

There was plenty of storage for hanging clothes... lots of cupboards and drawers... but I know what everyone is still wondering.

How did 5 people get on with just 1 bathroom?

Mum likes to swim first thing of a morning... so she was showering in the changeroom down there most mornings. All it took was communication. Just asking if anyone wanted the bathroom before a shower etc... My husband likes to read on the toilet - so he had to skip that. We set a rule that you locked the door when you went in... or be prepared for a visitor. Some showered in the morning... others in the afternoon or before bed. It really wasn't a problem. Thankfully none of us are teenaged girls. THAT would be another story I'm sure!! :eek:

The absolute best part about the family cabin though... is the balcony!!! It's massive and was used like a living room for us. Sitting out there early in the morning... before anyone else was awake was lovely. Or if we weren't tired at night... we just sat out there talking quietly.

So there you have it. We did 5 adults in 1 room successfully and we are all still talking to each other!!! :)

I've just come across this thread.

We (2) were in one of the FV cabins on Infinity TA in Oct.

It's good to see how the beds are made up, as of course this didn't happen for us. Only problem we had was that we slid up & down the bed as the ship rolled on the worst storm I've ever sailed in on the Bay of Biscay ( Captain said waves reached 40ft) 27 Oct 2013.

Those cabins are very spacious, so if one ever becomes available, grab it- we had 9156, which had the enlarged balcony.

Well we are home... we are all still friends... and we had a great time!!

Would we do it again? The answer is an unequivocal YES!! :D

Now everyone said that 3 in a room (when one is the mother-in-law) wouldn't be ideal... and when that number changed to 5 (with the addition of my sister and brother-in-law) everyone said "Don't do it" "You're crazy"!!

I'm here to tell you that (in my experience) it all depends on the people. In our case we all get on incredibly well. Anyone else considering doing this would need that same connection or at least be prepared to be flexible.

So... first things first. I should prove my point that we all survived the trip and that we could still be in each other's company on the last days of the 4 weeks we spent together (8 days in Hawaii and then 18 days on the ship).

Here's a photo of us in Sydney... on the final day...

11313377035_8c9d39471d.jpg

Here's one in the lift mucking around with the mirrors...

11313388155_6d4ebcf6ac.jpg

In case you haven't read the whole story... we were in an aft family cabin on Celebrity Millennium (7202). The living room converts into the second bedroom with a sofa bed for 2 and a 3 seater lounge for 1.

11313399935_d3d8711fd9.jpg

We had the extra padding added to these 2 beds to make them more comfortable. Mum said the single bed was REALLY comfortable. My sister and her husband are used to a really soft mattress so they weren't super comfortable in the sofa bed (but they did have lots of afternoon naps too so it wasn't too bad I hope).

Storage for 5 suitcases wasn't a problem either. Three easily went under our bed (could probably have fit 4 if we had to). The other 2 were stood up on the far end of the bench you can see in that last photo on the right hand side.

There was plenty of storage for hanging clothes... lots of cupboards and drawers... but I know what everyone is still wondering.

How did 5 people get on with just 1 bathroom?

Mum likes to swim first thing of a morning... so she was showering in the changeroom down there most mornings. All it took was communication. Just asking if anyone wanted the bathroom before a shower etc... My husband likes to read on the toilet - so he had to skip that. We set a rule that you locked the door when you went in... or be prepared for a visitor. Some showered in the morning... others in the afternoon or before bed. It really wasn't a problem. Thankfully none of us are teenaged girls. THAT would be another story I'm sure!! :eek:

The absolute best part about the family cabin though... is the balcony!!! It's massive and was used like a living room for us. Sitting out there early in the morning... before anyone else was awake was lovely. Or if we weren't tired at night... we just sat out there talking quietly.

So there you have it. We did 5 adults in 1 room successfully and we are all still talking to each other!!! :)

Thanks for coming back to us with a report!! Good to know that everything worked out for the best. We are a family of four with two teenagers and two years ago we decided to book two CC connecting cabins on the Silhouette, giving the kids their own room and bathroom. We are used to suites and I wasn't crazy about the space and the bathrooms, so I decided to book a RS last year on the Eclipse. I loved the space and didn't have any problems sharing the bathroom. When I was planning next summer cruise I had two options; another RS or a SS connected to a CC, I asked my children if they wanted their own room and bathroom, guess what? They said they want to go back to a RS.

Edited by drarill

Hi:) thank you for coming back and letting us know how things worked

out. Glad it all went well for everyone.

My family is MUCH smaller than yours......actually it is just me with 2

sisters.......no kids, and our parents are gone. As much as I love my

sisters and bil's? The 5 of us would never share a cabin together.

Sounds like you have a very special family:) (that is meant as a

compliment).

Obviously you MIL, nor anyone else over the age of 12 would want the Pullman, but the sofa bed wasn't too bad. It was a fold out over sized chair/love seat. I slept in it just fine, and you can add a matress topper if you need some extra cushioning.

Curious, having never used wither the sofa bed or pullman yet, but I'd think the pullman may be more comfortable with a standard mattress etc other than the little ladder to climb.

On my reflection cruise, talked to someone who shared a signature suite, and he said the Butler happily provided an additional mattress to place on the sofa bed each night, and said it was quite comfortable.

Edited by cle-guy

We have just returned from almost 3 weeks on Millennium (our honeymoon). We sailed from Hawaii to Sydney and loved it so much we are thinking of doing something similar next November (same start/end… different ports in between).

My Mum turns 70 in April so my new husband thought it would be nice to take her with us next time! Yes he’s an exceptional husband and she’s not your average mother-in-law!

Hi - my very first cruise, DS & DIL invited me to share a room with them. I slept on the couch. It was all right for my first cruise- seven days over Christmas. We managed to work out the bathroom routine as DS is early bird and DIL a late sleeper. So, I manage to work the bathroom routines out. However, there is also the issue of privacy. I gave them as much privacy as possible -- went to evening shows and ship activities without them.

In 2010 we went on a Med. cruise. Like you, we looked at price of suites which were expensive. I booked an inside room on the same deck and used their balcony at times. This was beneficial to everyone - privacy - 2 bathrooms etc. Also -- on both cruises it was decided before cruise that we would pick our own ship/shore excursions and if they were the same - great. If not --still great. In Med, DS organized private tours so we shared expense.

Having been in this same situation, I would suggest an inside room for your mother. Also a suggestion -- divide the price of both rooms into three shares - this way - you get the privacy etc. and it is still cheaper than a suite and mom does not have to pay solo rate.:)

Enjoy your next cruise:D