Features I'd REALLY like. Did RCL misread my mind?

Bazzito

We’re just back off the Independence of the Seas’ repositioning cruise from Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale.

We had a really good cruise, despite some rough weather the first two nights and a rainy day in Lisbon.

Still, I we got to thinking of the many features of the RCL ships and how they came to be. I can’t imagine that travelers actually thought of some of these things while sitting on their balconies, gazing at the ocean.

They must have misread my thoughts entirely.

So, as a matter of clarification, here’s my “RCL features we REALLY want to see” list:

What RCL thinks I was thinking:

“Gee, it sure would be nice to have an ice rink on a ship.”

What I actually was thinking:

“Gee, it sure would nice to have an ice machine down the hall!”

“Golly. I wish I could ride a zip line on this ship.”

“Golly. I wish I cold operate a coin laundry on this ship!”

“Oh my! I wish they could grow grass and crops on this ship!”

“Oh my! I wish they had a popcorn machine on this ship.”

"I sure wish I could spend more for a steak dinner on this vessel than I can in a steak house in any major American city."

"Why don't they serve those Johnny Rockets onion rings in the Windjammer?!"

We’re just back off the Independence of the Seas’ repositioning cruise from Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale.

We had a really good cruise, despite some rough weather the first two nights and a rainy day in Lisbon.

Still, I we got to thinking of the many features of the RCL ships and how they came to be. I can’t imagine that travelers actually thought of some of these things while sitting on their balconies, gazing at the ocean.

They must have misread my thoughts entirely.

So, as a matter of clarification, here’s my “RCL features we REALLY want to see” list:

“Gee, it sure would be nice to have an ice rink on a ship.”

“Gee, it sure would nice to have an ice machine down the hall!”

“Golly. I wish I could ride a zip line on this ship.”

“Golly. I wish I cold operate a coin laundry on this ship!”

“Oh my! I wish they could grow grass and crops on this ship!”

“Oh my! I wish they had a popcorn machine on this ship.”

"I sure wish I could spend more for a steak dinner on this vessel than I can in a steak house in any major American city."

"Why don't they serve those Johnny Rockets onion rings in the Windjammer?!"

Isn't a steak dinner $20 on board? That's way cheaper than anywhere I could go where I live.

Isn't a steak dinner $20 on board? That's way cheaper than anywhere I could go where I live.

30.00 per person. I can certainly eat steak of the same quality or even better than Chops on land for cheaper :)

Pretty funny.

Still, so many people just love those ice shows. Most watching would likely take an ice show over access to an ice machine. There might be a riot if they changed it into an ice machine room.

Is there a zip line on IOS? On Oasis the zip line is rather popular. Maybe a few people wish they had access to a coin laundry after the zip line;), but most seem to enjoy the rush. A transatlantic cruise would allow one time to generate and do laundry; less so on the 6-8 night runs IOS will do this winter. I'd be happy just to have access to a room with irons and ironing boards. Oh, well, somebody else will have to press my dress.

Do they now grow crops on IOS? I did not know that. Well, I'd rather have a popcorn machine, too, and they certainly do not need to grow their own corn to make me happy.

Where do you live? Top shelf steakhouse are way pricier in my area than any specialty restaurant on IOS, and mine is only a medium size city in Middle America. After cruising, the menu prices in resort areas make my head ache.

Have you tried Princess?

Top shelf steakhouse are way pricier in my area than any specialty restaurant on IOS,

Chops is NOT a "top shelf" steak house though. They do not serve Prime beef. Its on par with an Outback or Longhorn at best and service is hit or miss in Chops about like it is at said land based places.

30.00 per person. I can certainly eat steak of the same quality or even better than Chops on land for cheaper :)

Is that an lovely restaurant with soup, salad, appetizer, dessert and coffee? I can't get that in a restaurant here for that price.

Edit: In fairness, I never go to Chops...I do not even go to that many steakhouses; it is not my thing. So, if you say the steak is inferior to the nice places, I will believe you.

The uniqueness of these features is that they are on a cruise ship!

We don't take advantage of most of the features except Chops, but it's fun to see all these things and the energy they generate. We didn't ride the merry-go-around on the Allure but it was neat to see. There is something for everyone. Maybe they can add the laundry and ice machines when they build the next class of ships. The popcorn machine I can see being a real mess! JMHO. :)

So funny. I really enjoyed the post.

Like the OP, I have often wished we had ice machines in each corridor. Just wish I could get ice ANY TIME I want it.

I also agree that the boxing ring was a genuine misstep for the gym. Having the punching bags was OK, though, at least for some folks. I think the zipline on Oasis and Allure was a big hit. Some days, folks use it non-stop. The Flow Riders have been big hits too. And, yes,Hubby and I ride the carousel every time we are on Oasis or Allure. I have been surprised that it isn't more popular though.

We see the impact of marketing vs. the realities of life here.

Imagine RCI announces a new ship release, Freedom class, called the Pleasure of the Seas. But on the feature list, no:

1.) Rock climbing wall.

2.) Flow rider.

3.) Whatever other hyped things a given person doesn't use; I don't use the above 2, for instance. No boxing ring, maybe no mini-golf...

But on the feature list, it lists:

1.) Coin Laundry.

2.) Ice machines at mid-points of each deck (preferably with the new soda machines there, too).

3. Pop corn machine in Royal Promenade.

4.) Free onion rings.

Now, in practical terms, that might well be more pleasurable cruise ship for many of us, but how would the marketing go?

Richard.

We see the impact of marketing vs. the realities of life here.

Imagine RCI announces a new ship release, Freedom class, called the Pleasure of the Seas. But on the feature list, no:

1.) Rock climbing wall.

2.) Flow rider.

3.) Whatever other hyped things a given person doesn't use; I don't use the above 2, for instance. No boxing ring, maybe no mini-golf...

But on the feature list, it lists:

1.) Coin Laundry.

2.) Ice machines at mid-points of each deck (preferably with the new soda machines there, too).

3. Pop corn machine in Royal Promenade.

4.) Free onion rings.

Now, in practical terms, that might well be more pleasurable cruise ship for many of us, but how would the marketing go?

Richard.

Richard, is that as in Richard Fain? What are you doing on these boards?:eek:

Archived