Why do we need a passport?

BruceMuzz

In this case, the point is moot.

Our Antigua agent informed us the lady died today in the Antigua Hospital.

She died alone.

Her family couldn't fly down to be with her - they had no passports.

Very sad.

Bruce, thanks for the update. A sad story.

She died alone.

Very sad.

Somehow it seemed inevitable this would be the end of her story.

May she rest in peace.

Thanks for letting us know the 'rest of the story'.

We are on our fourth passport renewal (40 years) and would not have it any other way. As soon as we had the means to travel, we got passports and off we went, passports in hand.

I cannot understand the reasoning of anyone who leaves their country without a passport. It makes no sense to me but I suppose that is my 'problem'.

I agree. Getting a passport is a relatively small cost compared to the expense of traveling.

American Express used to use the slogan "Don't Leave Home Without It". To me the same thing applies to a Passport when it comes to leaving the country.

Keith

My ship is on a closed loop cruise from Florida this week.

We had an elderly passenger onboard with serious health problems.

She had emphysema, was on oxygen, and terribly addicted to cigarettes.

Then she contracted pneumonia.

Even with pneumonia, she refused to stop smoking.

Our medical team determined that she would die if she remained onboard.

We tried to disembark her in Antigua.

The officials first refused her, as she had no passport.

She also had no insurance, and was traveling alone.

We could not keep her onboard, as she would surely die.

The officials finally relented and agreed to hospitalize her in Antigua.

If she survives, she cannot fly back to the USA without a passport.

Antigua officials told us it will take several weeks to get an emergency passport for her.

They plan to put her on the weekly ferryboat to St Thomas as soon as she is well enough to travel - if she survives.

Hopefully officials in St Thomas will allow her to fly to the mainland without a passport.

She died alone.

Very sad.

Very, very sad. But at the same time it looks like she wanted a cruise to be her last trip and she got her wish. I also feel for the ship staff who had to deal with this.

(I have a passport.)

She died alone.

Very sad.

Very sad to hear this.

Was going to make a comment about the passport issue but that is a moot point now.

Yes -- we have our passports -- 5th sets.

The folks who travel without passports have their own reasons for doing so, but I'm not buying that it's financial.

A ten year passport costs $135, or $13.50 a year. That's roughly equal, cost-wise, to about a half dozen cups of coffee, or three beers, or two drinks, per year. I simply don't believe that it's an issue of cost for someone who is spending $1,000 or more per person for a cruise every couple of years or so.

The folks who travel without passports have their own reasons for doing so, but I'm not buying that it's financial.

A ten year passport costs $135, or $13.50 a year. That's roughly equal, cost-wise, to about a half dozen cups of coffee, or three beers, or two drinks, per year. I simply don't believe that it's an issue of cost for someone who is spending $1,000 or more per person for a cruise every couple of years or so.

And BruceMuzz also mentioned that she smoked.

I don't smoke -- but what does a package of cigarettes cost?

Why do you need a passport? Because one day you might like to venture beyond the realm of the closed loop cruise or even fly to another part of the world to see what the rest of the world holds.

In my country, Australia, we have to hold a passport to leave unless we are doing a cruise that does not leave our waters. However visas are a different matter.

I would encourage everyone of any age to have a passport. My youngest nephew is 3 and he has one, we can travel anywhere in the world and experience and learn from other cultures, even the USA!

I find it difficult to believe that a very elderly lady with severe health problems and having to be on oxygen would choose to go cruising all by herself without a companion. Oh, and then she ends up dying on an island all by herself because no one in her family has a passport to travel and be with her. Story sounds made up. Honest to God.

If ALL Mexicans have passports, why are they swimming, running and jumping over fences to get out of their country?

Obviously you haven't read BruceMuzz's other threads about his experiences working in the cruise industry. You just can't make this stuff up.

Elderly people in poor health travel by themselves ALL the time. My DH is a sup. for a major airline. Every day old, sick, frail and frequently, incontinent, people arrive by themselves at the airport and have to be carried by airline personnel into their seats. There have been several times my DH doubted they would survive the flight, let alone wherever else they were traveling.

Just wondering, is the OP a relative of the deceased lady?

I thought that only the next of kin or family member would be told by authorities of the person passing away or perhaps the OP was in contact with her family and that is how they found out of her passing?

It is sad to hear of the outcome, in that she passed away in another country away home, friends and family, and now there will be the additional cost to have her brought back to home for her funeral, very sad indeed.

I imagine that the most dedicated cruisers would want to slip that last final cruise under their belt.

We all have our own level of comfort and our own circumstances and base our own decisions based on them. I'm not going to try to convince others to not get a passport. It may not be the right decision for them. I really don't understand why so many on here feel the need to try convince me and others that we must have them....Nine cruises and I have not needed them. If I ever do then I will deal with it...and you won't see me coming on here and complaining about it either. I know how to take responsibility for my own actions.

Nine cruises or the same cruise 9 times? I can't imagine cruising that much and never taking a cruise to an area that required a pasport.

Seems to ME the biggest issue here is why she was traveling at all in the first place.

Elderly, in poor health, no insurance and to top it all off: ALONE??

I was on a world cruise on Crystal and an elderly woman came on board specifically to die. I'm not kidding. She knew she was dying, loved cruising and wanted to die on the ship. We embarked in LA, and she passed much sooner than expected, before we got to Hawaii.

As for the passport issue, it's bull that it takes several weeks to get an emergency passport. My TA had his stolen on the island and it took less than 48 hours. As for getting home with an emergency medical evac, you can get a waiver for emergency travel. I know that because when my mom fell and broke her hip on a Celebrity cruise, and and to be evac'd to FLL, I asked the US Customs and Immigration official who boarded the medical jet in FLL what would happen if we didn't have passports and he said they face this quite often and they do have provisions for medical emergencies and don't detain US citizens who are in need of emergency medical help.

I was on a world cruise on Crystal and an elderly woman came on board specifically to die. I'm not kidding. She knew she was dying, loved cruising and wanted to die on the ship. We embarked in LA, and she passed much sooner than expected, before we got to Hawaii.

As for the passport issue, it's bull that it takes several weeks to get an emergency passport. My TA had his stolen on the island and it took less than 48 hours. As for getting home with an emergency medical evac, you can get a waiver for emergency travel. I know that because when my mom fell and broke her hip on a Celebrity cruise, and and to be evac'd to FLL, I asked the US Customs and Immigration official who boarded the medical jet in FLL what would happen if we didn't have passports and he said they face this quite often and they do have provisions for medical emergencies and don't detain US citizens who are in need of emergency medical help.

Great information. Thank you.

As for the passport issue, it's bull that it takes several weeks to get an emergency passport. My TA had his stolen on the island and it took less than 48 hours.

There is a huge difference between reissuing one and getting one for the first time. If you had one already you've been screened and approved (which typically takes a few weeks). All they need to do is verify it's really you and get you a new copy.

Note that the other complication here was that the older and infirm passenger chose not to purchase insurance, not even through the cruise line. So the people of the island are stuck with attaching a claim to her estate, in another country, to recoup the costs of her treatment and potential repatriation of remains back to the US. I guess they can always refuse to release the remains until the bill is paid?

One of these days, the rules are going to change, and the lines will refuse to board a passenger without emergency medical and evac insurance. Is this another one that is only a US thing? I think I've read before that Brits and many from other countries are required to purchase health insurance before being allowed to board?

One of these days, the rules are going to change, and the lines will refuse to board a passenger without emergency medical and evac insurance. Is this another one that is only a US thing? I think I've read before that Brits and many from other countries are required to purchase health insurance before being allowed to board?

If that is the case, it could explain the complaints about having to pay more for a cruise than we do in the US and they've failed to take that into account.

In New York, $6 - $7 a pack. It's an expensive habit, but then again, so is cruising.

Try again-$8.50 at the SUPER discount stores (and they are TRULY few and far between and have a connection to the Indian tribes in Northern NY state). $10.00 average. In Manhattan, $11-12 and in a hotel or night club-$15 and up.

Noone has mentioned the safety issue,,,regardless of the passport. The lady was on oxygen, flowing oxygen...and lighting up cigarettes. Oxygen is the primary fuel of fire. If I worked on a ship and saw that, I would send the person off fast. The risk of explosion is there. EM

Try again-$8.50 at the SUPER discount stores (and they are TRULY few and far between and have a connection to the Indian tribes in Northern NY state). $10.00 average. In Manhattan, $11-12 and in a hotel or night club-$15 and up.

Whoa.... I had no idea they had gotten so costly.

I wonder how much they cost in Boston....... I'll have to find out.

So, this elderly lady could afford to cruise and to smoke but did not wish to pay for a passport or travel health insurance/evacuation. She made some bad choices. IMO

Whoa.... I had no idea they had gotten so costly.

I wonder how much they cost in Boston....... I'll have to find out.

So, this elderly lady could afford to cruise and to smoke but did not wish to pay for a passport or travel health insurance/evacuation. She made some bad choices. IMO

My Bronx office employees B*** all the time about the cost. My over the road drivers bring them cigs out of Missouri where they are cheap (in the scheme of things-about $44-45.00 a carton and it is all TAXES in other states).

When I was in NY on Nov 2, I went to get my business associate a pack at the corner bodega. $10.88 for a pack of Marlboro lights.

I can't fault the lady. She made her choices. It is REALLY hard to quit smoking-I smoked for YEARS (about 40) until I ended up in the back of an ambulance sucking oxygen because I had a total respiratory collapse. The doctors still don't know what really happened-the diagnosis has been anything from a stress induced asthma attack to the residual effects of Valley Fever to COPD. But it scared me enough to quit. Pills, patches, hypnosis and a DH that ragged on my butt EVERY day for 24 years from the day he quit smoking. Nothing helped until that night in the ambulance.

She was probably one of the MANY, MANY seniors who think their MEDICARE takes care of medical problems no matter where. I deal with it all the time in my business-lots of senior business owners who truly believe when they go to trade shows in Europe, South America or Asia think their medical needs are covered through Medicare. It is a slow learning process for some of them.

And as Kitty9 posted, maybe she knew the end was near and going out on a cruise ship/foreign country was what she wanted.

My best friend ABSOLUTELY does not want me, family or friends around during her last days.

She is doing it herself in her way. Her and her dogs out in the desert and hasta la vista. Not even her husband if he is still alive.

Something to think about

Archived