The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

Thank you, Barb, for your information and insight. I have noticed the Celebrity Suites on the M class ships for a long time. We would not even have missed the balcony which they have now added. All our recent cruises, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America, have been trans-ocean in cool weather.

All floor plans and photos seem to confirm only the one small make-up table. Not good design. Our small suite on HAL Noordam had two desks, one for DW's make-up and one for my travel stuff. It also had two sinks in a large counter in the bathroom plus a tub and separate shower.

Due to past USAF service, I am able to get the military rate for the Eclipse suite we booked. But we have till mid august to cancel without charge. So the are also looking at Noordam TA from Civitavecchia. The large suites there are interesting and the price good for frequent cruisers.

Thanks again.

Bob :cool:

Thank you, Barb, for your information and insight. I have noticed the Celebrity Suites on the M class ships for a long time. We would not even have missed the balcony which they have now added. All our recent cruises, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America, have been trans-ocean in cool weather.

All floor plans and photos seem to confirm only the one small make-up table. Not good design. Our small suite on HAL Noordam had two desks, one for DW's make-up and one for my travel stuff. It also had two sinks in a large counter in the bathroom plus a tub and separate shower.

Due to past USAF service, I am able to get the military rate for the Eclipse suite we booked. But we have till mid august to cancel without charge. So the are also looking at Noordam TA from Civitavecchia. The large suites there are interesting and the price good for frequent cruisers.

Thanks again.

Hi, Bob -

We have sailed on the Westerdam 3x and love her. If you're talking about the Neptune Suites (SA, SB, and SC categories), they are fabulous ... and have a great dressing area with separate makeup table/bench and then in the main cabin area there's a huge desk area with a large window over the desk to boot. And you already know how great the Signature Suites (SS, SY, SZ) are, even though they are slightly smaller.

Whichever ship you pick, I don't think you can go wrong. :D

Barb

Cruisetrail,

I've enjoyed this thread and learned a lot. I was wondering if you have a theory, from an engineering point of view, why the S Class ships were designed with a narrow superstructure, necessitating the large overhang and views of lifeboats for non-hump balconies?

Aesthetically, I think the exterior design of the S Class ships is strikingly beautiful. But taking into account your criticisms, I wonder why the ships were designed this way.

IMO this is all about revenue.

More balcony cabins = more money.

10sdeef.jpg

The scheme above is by no means a scale comparison, but note that RCI Freedom OTS (much larger and more spacious ship) has 5 balcony decks.

The Solstice class has 7 balcony decks.

Dear CC members,

Thank you all for your attention to this thread.

As time permits, I will return to the questions that have not been addressed.

I will continue with dining and some design aspects as well to complete the review.

Happy cruising!

Great thread!!!

I'm going on my first cruise with my wife for our honeymoon in September. From reading this thread I am a little worried about the overhang. We are aqua class on the Silhouette cabin 1595.

Does anyone know if this is the deck directly under the overhang?

Thanks

Great thread!!!

I'm going on my first cruise with my wife for our honeymoon in September. From reading this thread I am a little worried about the overhang. We are aqua class on the Silhouette cabin 1595.

Does anyone know if this is the deck directly under the overhang?

Thanks

At the top of the celebrity board there's a "sticky" with info about cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36016584&highlight=1595#post36016584

This is about 1595:

Deck - 11

Cabin # - 1595

Class – aqua

Starboard or Port Side - Port

Bed near?(balcony or bath) – bath

Quiet Cabin (With comments on problems. Note if connecting. ) – heard chairs being put out on deck starting at 7:30AM every morning.

Balcony View - no issues tremendous overhang so no sun

Balcony Size? Normal

Was wind a problem? no

Any specific problems with this cabin? We will not book another A1 cabin under the pool deck again....just too noisy in the AM. Some of the A2's are actually better cabins

Dear CC members,

I will continue with dining and some design aspects as well to complete the review.

Happy cruising!

This thread is awesome, thanks for all your work. I'm booked on the Reflection in 2C....I know about the lifeboats, but I'm trying to find a room that doesn't have the White pillars also in the way. Right now I'm in 6281...any idea if that one is ok. My choices are limited because we need a room with three beds 6281, 6285, 6282, 6249-6261 every other one, 6258-6246 every other one.....Not sure if any of these are any better than others. Trying to stay more aft (mom can get motion sickness, but seems better lately and I heard forward was a bit worse for this). Thought maybe a good idea to stay away from elevator. Is the Reflection and Silhouette exactly the same for Deck 6?? Thanks for any info you have, much appreciated!!

This thread is awesome, thanks for all your work. I'm booked on the Reflection in 2C....I know about the lifeboats, but I'm trying to find a room that doesn't have the White pillars also in the way. Right now I'm in 6281...any idea if that one is ok. My choices are limited because we need a room with three beds 6281, 6285, 6282, 6249-6261 every other one, 6258-6246 every other one.....Not sure if any of these are any better than others. Trying to stay more aft (mom can get motion sickness, but seems better lately and I heard forward was a bit worse for this). Thought maybe a good idea to stay away from elevator. Is the Reflection and Silhouette exactly the same for Deck 6?? Thanks for any info you have, much appreciated!!

Why stay away from the elevator?

We were in 9237, which is about as close as you get & we had no noise whatsoever. Also a huge balcony.

7324, 7326, 7328 shown on the Silhouette (same location on the Reflection)

2ivlkj9.jpg

This is a great picture for what I am looking for (if I'm looking at it right!!) I'm on the Reflection, room 6282, which seems to be three rooms to the left if 7328 and down one floor. It looks like the balcony is in the middle of the life boats and view doesn't get blocked by the white pillars holding the boats. Am I seeing this right? :-). Thanks for the assistance!

Dear CC members,

Happy cruising!

Cruisetrail, thank you for your excellent presentations. Many of your comments can be applied to other Celebrity ships and, indeed, ships on other lines.

I will limit my question to one. We have booked suite 1235 on the Eclipse for the November 3 Trans-Atlantic. Was this a good choice, or are there negative this things we failed to consider? Oh, maybe this is more than one question. :)

This will be our first Celebrity suite. That, is a Celebrity Suite, or any other size suite on a Celebrity ship. We have sailed six times on Celebrity M class ships, usually Concierge class.

We have noted a few slightly disturbing things about the Celebrity Suite: Only one small desk/make-up table. Few electric outlets. Lack of counter space in bathroom. Unclear about drawers for clothes and other items.

We have previously booked suites on HAL, and found many features to be very good. So we are also considering a Noordam TA, departing Civitavecchia October 31. Rates on both are good. I get a military rate on the Eclipse, and a Mariner rate on HAL. If the suite and its comfort were the only thing to consider for a cruise, we would take the HAL.

I may have a few other questions I will post later, which others may respond to. (OK, language purists: to which others may respond.) :D

Thank you, Cruisetrail.

We have booked suite 1235 on the Eclipse for the November 3 Trans-Atlantic. Was this a good choice, or are there negative this things we failed to consider? :cool:

Take good care of the suite - I have it booked the 30th of November. I speciffically chose 1235 because I was in the same suite on the Equinox this past Spring. No complaints at all - loved it. HAL used to be my favorite line, but this last Celebrity experience has converted me. Enjoy! (Another Bob here)

I have a wee question regarding the forward ocean view cabins on the Solstice.

Cruisetrail or anyone else who can help, please can you give me some information regarding the cat7 cabins or photos.

I have read the information on the librarylady spread sheet, that was very helpful.

The cabin numbers are 8101 to 8106 and 7101 to 7106.

All four family cabins are gone for the Jan 2015, 14 day trip we are considering booking.

First trip on Celebrity.

Looking at getting two side by side and an inside for another member of our party.

Have previously has a mini suite on the Diamond Princess and connecting Promenades on the Voyager of the Seas.

Thanking you in anticipation.

God bless you all:)

TraceyG

Have really enjoyed reading through this thread and viewing the pictures. Do you have anything on aft balcony C1 cabin #1405 on the Eclipse? We're booked in it for our first Celebrity cruise on Jan. 11 and had a similar location on a Carnival ship. Thanks.

Craig

Well maybe you are not the best marketing machine for Celebrity but I must admit that I read your 2 topics with great interest.

I learned a lot from you and would like to thank you for that!! One of the best topics (in many ways) in my opinion.

Edited by Sheik

Take good care of the suite - I have it booked the 30th of November. I specifically chose 1235 because I was in the same suite on the Equinox this past Spring. No complaints at all - loved it. HAL used to be my favorite line, but this last Celebrity experience has converted me. Enjoy! (Another Bob here)

If your suite, which we occupy during an earlier time, is not in good shape, "The butler did it." ;)

Many of our questions have been answered by other sources, but I have a couple for you, if you do not mind.

On the Equinox, a sister ship, was there a DVD player? If yes, we will bring a few with good music.

Does the small desk/make-up table have a drawer?

Other questions have now been answered elsewhere, but if I am wrong, please correct.

This small desk is the only desk in the suite.

There are adequate drawers for clothes and other items. There are four drawers below the safe in the walk-in closet.

The elite cruisers are given two or three coupons for free drinks before each dinner.

There are good music bars, etc. available on the ship.

Thanks for your input.

Hello cruisetrail! Thanks for all of the great info. What is your opinion on Solstice aft cabins 8347-8338? If you've already posted on these, sorry, I tried searching but I'm not so computer literate.

On the Equinox, a sister ship, was there a DVD player? If yes, we will bring a few with good music.

Does the small desk/make-up table have a drawer?

I don't believe there was a DVD player. Another thread here suggests you might be able to have the butler bring you one. Of course it would hook up to the TV, so sound quality might not be very good.

I do remember the desk/make-up table having one drawer - not very big so it won't hold much.

There are plenty of clothes storage drawers just off the bedroom.

I expect you will be perfectly happy and comfortable in your cabin as well as enjoying the rest of the ship!

:)

Thank you retafcruiser for your answers. I will check other threads by way of search for DVD player availability.

Yes, we expect to be comfortable in the Celebrity Suite. It's been four years since we sailed with Celebrity. We were always on M class ships, usually in Concierge cabins. But we thought this time, what the heck, we'll splurge this time. We know the Eclipse has a capacity of 2800 cruisers, but with the extra decks, our walks should not be much farther than the smaller ships.

I will look for Karaoke sessions. They are always fun.

I lived in Northern Virginia for 3½ years while I worked and completed GWU coursework at night for my final graduate degree. DW and I met and married there. All that was back when Watergate was only the stretch of the Potomac close to the Lincoln Memorial. The armed services' bands played there three or four nights a week in the summers. They were very good.

Thanks again for your helpful information.

Edited by Bobblsc

Wow, what a great work!

We booked a 2C cabin (w/ partially obstructed view) and i am wondering if we have one of the "better" obstructed views"?

We are in cabin 6297 on Reflection.

Thanks so much and if this cabin is in a bad location, could you tell me a better one?

Just back from the Silhouette. I wrote up my review in the S-Class cabin sticky but thought I'd post some pictures of the view from the verandah. We were in Cabin 8125 which is a 1C. Great cabin, great location. Let me know if you have any questions.

757105891_8125CabinLocation.jpg.9a710e13295b99ccae03c155b89f77d6.jpg

IMG_00000062.jpg.0048e66efebaa5936e03635b3078576e.jpg

IMG_00000063.jpg.b15df1016dcf8f5fcf052cb6c49291f7.jpg

IMG_00000064.jpg.ea288d717f6e0d55c3a04e4a66040032.jpg

IMG_00000065.jpg.046760d91fc92e6ec44306c0f1a425e3.jpg

Wow, what a great work!

We booked a 2C cabin (w/ partially obstructed view) and i am wondering if we have one of the "better" obstructed views"?

We are in cabin 6297 on Reflection.

Thanks so much and if this cabin is in a bad location, could you tell me a better one?

Just go to top of Celebrity forum and use search function for 6296 (= same as 6297 but on starboard side) and you'll find lots of comments (mostly for SIL but REf is same)