The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

5 S-Class ships, 10-11,000 pax per week, the same couple hundred on Cruise Critic month in/out. Bottom line, none of this makes a ripple in the big picture if we agree or don't about a ship, pool, grass, food, or cabin. It is a waste of energy beatin down each others likes or dislikes.

Ok, back to a food/dress thread:)

I read that you identified (lets call it a slew of) cabins that were to be avoided, but based on a still undefined set of circumstances or reasons.

We are going on our first cruise in November. We will cruise on Eclipse. I think I have read every available thread on staterooms :D and I really liked this one - I do not think the reasons are undefined. Even though cruisetail might not have written them down, it makes total sense.

green - everything is good. View is not obstructed (no beams, no life boats or if there are life boats they are a few decks further down, no equipment), no overhang, cabins above and below

yellow - mainly a good location but might have a (one) drawback. Larger balcony but under a public area. Cabins above and below but only one deck above life boat.

red - multiple drawbacks or one main drawback without any advantages. Under public deck and large overhang, directly looking onto life boat and over public deck, large overhang, over a smoking area, under fitness center.

It doesn't mean that the cabin is bad. Just that the location might be unfavorable. For a newbie that can actually be a great help if you are willing to think about it and come to your own conclusions. It's very black and white (just in red, yellow and green), you have to mix the grey(s) yourself.

We booked a cabin on deck 6 (on the hump). We knew it was a) right above Bistro on Five, b) above a smoking area and c) looking onto the blue roof. We booked it because a) it was on the hump, b) mid-ships, c) as far down as possible (worried about motion), d) close to elevator, e) cheapest non-obstructed balcony cabin. Our + list outweighed the - list. We booked it BUT we knew, as we could see from the color code (and from being over an all public deck and having blue roof / life boats deck 6 could never be anything but red), that for others it might not be a prefered cabin. And this thread was a good help for us.

Had earlier posted these questions for cruisetrail and/or any others. Things might have gotten "distracted" with some "debates" on personal likes and/or not. But, still very interested in any added insights, those wonderful pictures, etc.

Super love and appreciate this thread with so many great visuals, details, background and insights.

For the Solstice on Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, we are traveling Sydney to Aucikland, NZ, 14 days. Just 148 days away. We are group of several couples from Central Ohio. We will be in Celebrity Suite 1233. The friends with whom we did the Solstice in the Med, June 2011, will be next door to us at 1235. Three other friends from Columbus will be in Celebrity Suites 1615-17-19.

Any added visuals, insights, tips for these CS units on the Solstice? Clearly our 1233 will have the larger balcony and nice positioning. Are the glass dividers removable between these units to allow more movements and space among the groups of two or three of these CS cabins?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,275 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Had earlier posted these questions for cruisetrail and/or any others. Things might have gotten "distracted" with some "debates" on personal likes and/or not. But, still very interested in any added insights, those wonderful pictures, etc.

Super love and appreciate this thread with so many great visuals, details, background and insights.

For the Solstice on Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, we are traveling Sydney to Aucikland, NZ, 14 days. Just 148 days away. We are group of several couples from Central Ohio. We will be in Celebrity Suite 1233. The friends with whom we did the Solstice in the Med, June 2011, will be next door to us at 1235. Three other friends from Columbus will be in Celebrity Suites 1615-17-19.

Any added visuals, insights, tips for these CS units on the Solstice? Clearly our 1233 will have the larger balcony and nice positioning. Are the glass dividers removable between these units to allow more movements and space among the groups of two or three of these CS cabins?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,275 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, they open like all the other balconies on the Solstice. Part of the divider closest to the door is solid and the other part opens. They do connect.

1884349728_CelebritySuiteBalcony.jpg.4109b22205c6f457fc95e7bd6195e181.jpg

Edited by Ma Bell

I'm the type of person that generally the more info I have the better! I've enjoyed the information in this thread and it helps me make the best decision for me!

So...just curious we are in 6282 on the Reflection, we know about the view but am wondering if some of the rooms in 2C where you aren't over a restaurant and will be by the lifeboats if some rooms are better than others? We have three folks so a bit restricted in what rooms we can get. Avoiding port a bit because we really do not like the smell of smoke and didn't want to risk it. Any advice/pictures would be great. Thanks!

When you put labels on cabins in big red letters saying AVOID when many people think these are very nice cabins you are doing more than talking about the ship. If you represent yourself as being an expert on the ship and on every cabin on the ship and people are making decisions based on your advice, you are doing more than talking about the ship. It is also pertinent to the subject to question one's experience in this case.

Your photos are great and presenting facts and figures may be helpful, but when you go farther than that it is fair for others to rebut if they don't agree.

It may be especially helpful when advice comes from someone who has actually experienced that particular ship or that particular cabin.

Happy Sailing to you too.

You make some very valid points! :) I always like to refer new cruisers to Librarylady19's Solstice Class cabin chart. Opinions of specific cabins that people have actually booked and stayed in. Always helpful. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE#gid=0

You make some very valid points! :) I always like to refer new cruisers to Librarylady19's Solstice Class cabin chart. Opinions of specific cabins that people have actually booked and stayed in. Always helpful. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE#gid=0

Yes that's a great thread.

Agree. While the pictures on this thread are great, I would use them together with the stickie above which is based on first-hand information and personal experiences, not speculation.

Yes, dividers are removable.

I'll get you a picture of 1233-35 balcony.

Best wishes.

Ma Bell: Terry' date=' they open like all the other balconies on the Solstice. Part of the divider closest to the door is solid and the other part opens. [b']They do connect.[/b]

Appreciate this great, added info. Look forward to seeing from cruisetrail any of the added visuals on 1233 and 1235, plus any pictures for 1615-17-19, too.

Assume our Butler or steward can take care of having that glass divider removed. Right?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 117,720 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I didn't read that those two cabins provoked a discussion. I read that you identified (lets call it a slew of) cabins that were to be avoided, but based on a still undefined set of circumstances or reasons.

The photos are indeed helpful as many of Depping's are and many of others illustations are and that kind of sharing goes a long way for others, yet your spin on the cabins themselves are personal and not entirely informative since they are without the direct experience from actually being in one or understanding what benefits come with them.

Some one said a bit back that a good cabin could be missed or dismissed due to this, and I tend to agree that could be the case.

MizDemeanor, you've made a false statement about the ship.

I have pointed it out.

You pretend you did not hear (no "sorry", no "oh, I did not know"). Instead - you continue to judge about my experience that you obviously

have no idea about.

There are tons of photos taken from inside, I mean from inside the ship.

I've been in about 50 various cabins all over the ship.

"In" means in the cabins and on the balconies.

"On the balconies" means standing/walking on various balconies all over the ship and assessing views, balcony sizes, taking pictures.

This a part of my experience of the ship.

Experience means that I actually was in the cabins, on the balconies.

I don't measure cabins these days as I did long ago. Now I have a trained eye.

More detailed explanation is available on request.

It's a good idea to be prepared to participate in discussion - get some info on the ship. If you discuss my work - get familiar with the information posted by me, not retelling thought-outs posted by someone else.

Further to illustate that those cabins you find objectionable (and I think its more than its more than 12), just read the comments from those who select them. And remember, cruise after cruise, and ship after ship, and year after year that these red cabins are filled by guests over and over again.

This has been adressed 25 times. Last time - a few posts ago.

Water is wet, sun is hot, Carnival Ecstasy sails full.

Reasons for colors were carefully explained.

Assessment is comparable . You just need to realize it.

You might find them objectionable for your own tastes, but others do not for theirs. I feel any provocation stems from the presentation of your point of view to those who are seeking an open minded approach to cabin selections.

Approach to cabin selection must be critical if cabin is important.

If not - no problem. Sometimes I book a GUAR and just flow with the current.

Sometimes I am among the first to book a ship and pick the cabin I want.

Once you have chosen you cabin, "open your mind" to the rest of a cruise life.

Happy cruising.

Appreciate this great, added info. Look forward to seeing from cruisetrail any of the added visuals on 1233 and 1235, plus any pictures for 1615-17-19, too.

Assume our Butler or steward can take care of having that glass divider removed. Right?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 117,720 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

FYI, the glass panel dividers are not removed. They are opened and folded back, and locked into position. This is something that you can ask your cabin steward to do for you.

We are going on our first cruise in November. We will cruise on Eclipse. I think I have read every available thread on staterooms :D and I really liked this one - I do not think the reasons are undefined. Even though cruisetail might not have written them down, it makes total sense.

green - everything is good. View is not obstructed (no beams, no life boats or if there are life boats they are a few decks further down, no equipment), no overhang, cabins above and below

yellow - mainly a good location but might have a (one) drawback. Larger balcony but under a public area. Cabins above and below but only one deck above life boat.

red - multiple drawbacks or one main drawback without any advantages. Under public deck and large overhang, directly looking onto life boat and over public deck, large overhang, over a smoking area, under fitness center.

It doesn't mean that the cabin is bad. Just that the location might be unfavorable. For a newbie that can actually be a great help if you are willing to think about it and come to your own conclusions. It's very black and white (just in red, yellow and green), you have to mix the grey(s) yourself.

We booked a cabin on deck 6 (on the hump). We knew it was a) right above Bistro on Five, b) above a smoking area and c) looking onto the blue roof. We booked it because a) it was on the hump, b) mid-ships, c) as far down as possible (worried about motion), d) close to elevator, e) cheapest non-obstructed balcony cabin. Our + list outweighed the - list. We booked it BUT we knew, as we could see from the color code (and from being over an all public deck and having blue roof / life boats deck 6 could never be anything but red), that for others it might not be a prefered cabin. And this thread was a good help for us.

I totally agree with you. I couldn't have said it better;);)

2150. Great view from the aft. There is more noise overhead at night in 2120. 2150 is under an outdoor area and there is very little noise except slightly in the morning from moving chairs. It is a longer walk to the cabin.

Ty. Been struggling for 2 months now which cabin to book.

If I go to an s1,

Which floor would u recommend ?

I have pointed it out.

You pretend you did not hear (no "sorry", no "oh, I did not know"). Instead - you continue to judge about my experience that you obviously

have no idea about.

I've been in] about 50 various cabins all over the ship.

"On the balconies" means standing/walking on various balconies all over the ship and assessing views, balcony sizes, taking pictures.

It's a good idea to be prepared to participate in discussion - get some info on the ship. If you discuss my work - get familiar with the information posted by me, not retelling thought-outs posted by someone else.

Happy cruising.

And after all of this posturing, you still have NOT identified a single cruise you have taken. I was also highly amuses by your claim that you no longer need to take measurement, that now you have a "trained eye". I also have a trained eye, and what I see is your long list of opinions that in some cases may actually be close to fact (probably coincidental), but in many cases are only opinions, not facts.

Anyone can post photos, and publish opinions based on those photos. That is, if they don't have anything better to do with their time. Fortunately, most of the people on these boards actually provide information based on actual experience cruising on the ships, not "experience" based on looking at photos.

I again ask for some proof that you have ever taken a cruise, and aren't passing off your opinions, many of which are quite narrow minded, as actual facts.

And of course, you are never wrong about anything. I have NEVER seen you admitting even one minor error in your evaluations. Yet, you do not hesitant to tell the rest of us how wrong we are.

For those of you who may wonder why I continue to challenge cruisetrail, it is because of a long thread started by him in Oct 2012, which he started in order to condemn Reflection’s design elements, even though the ship was still under construction at the time. I was looking for information on Reflection to help make a decision to book her second cruise shortly after being launched, a decision that I did make, and was very pleased that I did. His "opinions" did not help the decision making in any way, but instead caused some concern at first until I recognized what he was really up to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1719910&highlight=reflection

All of the criticisms he made at the time could only have been based on opinions formed by looking at construction photos, not the first hand experience he claims to have. Unless he worked for the ship builder and was part of the construction crew, he could not possibly have had any first hand knowledge. Yet, he continued to post message after message, criticizing virtually every aspect of her design, and promoting himself as THE expert on her design flaws. To him, Reflection was such a flawed ship that he said he would NEVER sail on her, EVER. The thread was eventually shut down due to the outrageous statements he was making, making the thread pretty much useless.

So, after enduring that side show, forgive some of us for being more than a bit dubious as to his actual credentials, and instead believe that he forms his opinions based on looking at photos on the internet. I hate to see people being deceived by anyone, whether by a crooked sales person, a scam artist, or an unsubstantiated "expert".

No proof – no credibility. It’s just that simple.

Edited by swsfrail

I have pointed it out.

have no idea about.

I've been in about 50 various cabins all over the ship.

Happy cruising.

Wow, I am not certain where to start after this rant. :eek: I am quite certain that I did not make a false statement about the ship. Quite certain. But just for fun, and splitting hairs and going along with your train of thought since you seem to have an issue with the cruise line pricing for some of the red cabins as 1A rather than 2D, aren't these 1A's larger balconies? Aren't these larger balcony cabins also on lower decks for those who prefer lower decks due to motion issues?

Believe me, I am not engaging in combat with you over these details, and if you go back and re-read my post, I did indeed discuss mixed value cabins. Since I do 'get' your objections to the cabins in red, both 1A and 2D, I also get alot more about you and your intentions than you think.

To reiterate what I have ealier said, its still best IMHO to leave the practical and economic aspects for others questions to those with solid experience on this cruise line and its ships and its cabins since they actually like the cruiseline and the ships and the cabins, rather than take a sort of hit and run approach that appears to be easily contrued as some sort of grudge/agenda/axe to grind with Celebrity.

Perhaps its not, and perhaps you believe that people must be warned or else they will be lost in the flock on their way to slaughter. There is plenty of information out there to assist with questions and visualizations but in a manner that is more encompassing through comprehensive information and dialog and not solely from a photo with a glaring caution sign.

Your photos are positive, I really appreacaite the close up cabin shots. Only a few all ship efforts are available from shooters for use by others in their cabin selections and its those photos when shared for others use that prove to be a great assist for excitement and vision and discussion.

First of all - THANK YOU cruisetail for posting so many helpful photos and answering so many questions. And thanks too for enduring the occasional negative comment.

I am an engineer too, so I understand and appreciate your approach in this thread.

Our family (2 adults, 4 kids) is booked on Solstice in staterooms 9272 and 9274 on the "hump".

We chose these staterooms because:

1. They are adjoining rooms with connecting outer doors.

2. 9274 has a pull-down upper bunk for kids.

3. Located near the elevators/stairway.

4. Located mid-ship for stability.

5. Balcony views to the front and rear of the ship.

6. No overhang/strut issues on the hump.

7. No public areas above or below.

8. No obstructions from lifeboats or other equipment.

9. No "X" obstruction on the balcony glass.

Question for cruisetail: Do you happen to have any photos that show what the pull-down upper bunk looks like and how it works in a cabin like 9274? Is it a real eye-sore that inhibits usability when not in use?

Another question: Our staterooms are located directly across from the card room on Deck 9. Do you anticipate that we will have to endure any particular noise/disruption because the card room is so close? Does the card room get used much in reality? I was thinking that having the card room close by would actually be nice for our kids if they wish to play some UNO games, etc (but not sure if children are allowed in the card room).

Thanks again.

Edited by gblotter

First of all - THANK YOU cruisetail for posting so many helpful photos and answering so many questions. And thanks too for enduring the occasional negative comment.

I am an engineer too, so I understand and appreciate your approach in this thread.

Our family (2 adults, 4 kids) is booked on Solstice in staterooms 9272 and 9274 on the "hump".

Question for cruisetail: Do you happen to have any photos that show what the pull-down upper bunk looks like and how it works in a cabin like 9274? Is it a real eye-sore that inhibits usability when not in use?

Another question: Our staterooms are located directly across from the card room on Deck 9. Do you anticipate that we will have to endure any particular noise/disruption because the card room is so close? Does the card room get used much in reality? I was thinking that having the card room close by would actually be nice for our kids if they wish to play some UNO games, etc (but not sure if children are allowed in the card room).

Thanks again.

I've never seen the bunk pulled down since we didn't use it, but I have sailed in a cabin that had one of those. When it's up in the ceiling, you can't see it. You wouldn't know it's there if you didn't know the room had one.

Are the glass dividers removable between all balconies in general, or just the specific suites that were mentioned by the questioner?

The dividers (I doubt they're glass) are NOT removable. They fold back and attach to the rest of the partition with clips. This must be done by your stateroom attendant (requires a special tool).

Yes, this applies to all balconies. On S class ships only.

Thanks again.

Thank you.

Your choice is very good.

Congratulations on nicely done preparations for the cruise!

No noise from the card room. Grandmas will be playing cards quietly.

Even if the cards were made of cast iron and grandmas drop them on the floor all the time - there would be no noise from the card room.

The noise will be in the atrium from the band playing in the foyer.

The noise reverberates up through the atrium that works like a huge amplifier.

That will be in the atrium, not in your connecting cabins with additional outer doors.

Cabins were covered in the first part of this review.

A photo from there:

ib9uz5.jpg

The pull-down upper bunk is invisible when folded.

Balcony partitians can be folded.

Enjoy your cruise!

Terry, I owe you pictures.

On the Solstice:

a44svk.jpg

On the Eclipse:

33e1qhy.jpg

1om97p.jpg

Removed (folded) partitian between 7159 and 7161:

20ab1qb.jpg

"Glass" partitians on Celebrity (and some RCI ships) a kind of flimsy - there were much discussions quite a bit ago.

Some cruise lines prefer more monumental dividers with an added screen - for more privacy (Left - Celebrity, Right - a "mystery"cruise ship);

33ej0gy.jpg

Have a great cruise!

Edited by cruisetrail