The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

Aqua rooms are not different. All standard.

A minor difference - hand held shower.

The most tempting are "first from the hump" 1610 and 1605 (on the opposite side) with extra deep balconies.

However, you need to note that those cabins are located right under public deck and still close to the overhang.

2u5z03d.jpg

Several OK balconies are on the "forward hump" (marked green and yellow):

29594ci.jpg

Note: 1552 and 1547 are also "first from the hump" with extra deep balcony.

Same potential issues plus a "cleaning spider":

se16h3.jpg

The aft Aqua cluster is not bad.

Two decks below the overhang - not critical (only lower parts of beamses, reasonable shadow).

Lifeboats below, but far below.

1ifw40.jpg

Thanks! Sailing in room 1627 in October so very happy with my 'not bad' selection ;-)

I posted these on another thread...but I'll add them here just to enhance this discussion.

We returned earlier this summer from our Adriatic cruise on Silhouette...and we had cabin #2106...IMHO, the best non-suite cabin on the ship...

...located right at the apex of the slant or "hump"--very near the aft elevators on Deck 12, on the side of the ship away from the smoking area...

Here are some photos of the (very large) balcony...just click on the thumbnails below...

2106-2.jpg.4bc814a6f69e4b1fe3946af20efbb27f.jpg

2106-3.jpg.194df92219eec33484c623eb73acdc16.jpg

44472451_2106Silhouette.jpg.3c1f4b7fb9e5913c9bd0b46f7dd312b0.jpg

739397431_2106Silhouettebalconyfromroom.jpg.034679d76c3b7d525d43874ce515fe2b.jpg

... cabin #2106...IMHO, the best non-suite cabin on the ship...

...located right at the apex of the slant or "hump"--very near the aft elevators on Deck 12, on the side of the ship away from the smoking area...

In addition, the views from 2106 are unbeatable...

From it's position, you can see all the way aft and forward...

...and there is no obstruction from any of the support poles...

...and, being at the outer edge of the slant, the effects from the "overhang" are minimal...Sure, there isshade on the first two-thirds of the balcony, but you can get plenty of sun on the outer third...

Here are photos of the views aft and forward:

1274783456_2106viewaft.jpg.5b152e634cb3e63b514a9a41f9e995e7.jpg

1674357901_2106viewforward.jpg.87eb590a51fd7f9366dbde93b7eb9ba5.jpg

Cruisetrail, thank you for your excellent presentations. Many of your comments can be applied to other Celebrity ships and, indeed, ships on other lines. I will limit my question to one. We have booked suite 1235 on the Eclipse for the November 3 Trans-Atlantic. Was this a good choice, or are there negative this things we failed to consider? Oh, maybe this is more than one question. This will be our first Celebrity suite. That, is a Celebrity Suite, or any other size suite on a Celebrity ship. We have noted a few slightly disturbing things about the Celebrity Suite: Only one small desk/make-up table. Few electric outlets. Lack of counter space in bathroom. Unclear about drawers for clothes and other items. Bob

Super love and appreciate this thread with so many great visuals, details, background and insights. YES, a few didn't like certain of the opinions and analysis provided, but as noted by Cruisetrail . . . this is Cruise CRITIC!! The engineering background and skills of Cruisetrail come through loud and clear!! We are the winners. Not all agree and/or have the same needs. BUT, this all has really been helpful to so many.

For the Solstice on Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, we are traveling Sydney to Aucikland, NZ, 14 days. Just 148 days away. We are group of several couples from Central Ohio. We will be in Celebrity Suite 1233. The friends with whom we did the Solstice in the Med, June 2011, will be next door to us at 1235. Three other friends from Columbus will be in Celebrity Suites 1615-17-19.

Any added visuals, insights, tips for these CS units on the Solstice? Clearly our 1233 will have the larger balcony and nice positioning. Are the glass dividers removable between these units to allow more movements and space?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 140,094 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

What hump balconies to avoid?

Red color - avoid

Yellow - I would likely not recommend for my friends

Green - best options on this ship

2dhwi6f.jpg

33xh2sh.jpg

k4ef4x.jpg

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Difficult time deciding on a cabin when looking at a deck plan with tiny squares. :rolleyes: This helped me a lot.

Bravo to you!

Excellent job!!!!

PS

LOVE the hats....

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Difficult time deciding on a cabin when looking at a deck plan with tiny squares. :rolleyes: This helped me a lot.

Bravo to you!

Excellent job!!!!

PS

LOVE the hats....

If you follow this guy's recommendations you'll be missing out on a lot of great cabins.

Hi all- I noticed in the pictures above that balcony rooms 2112 and 2110 are coded as red (as in bad!:().

We are thinking of getting rooms 2009 and 2111 on Eclipse (opposite side of ship). What is the reason for these rooms to be "bad"? If it's just a lack of direct sunlight, then it is a plus in my book (I don't like being in direct sunlight. I do not sunbathe).

Hi all- I noticed in the pictures above that balcony rooms 2112 and 2110 are coded as red (as in bad!:().

We are thinking of getting rooms 2009 and 2111 on Eclipse (opposite side of ship). What is the reason for these rooms to be "bad"? If it's just a lack of direct sunlight, then it is a plus in my book (I don't like being in direct sunlight. I do not sunbathe).

Those red/yellow/green codes are just ONE POSTER'S OPINION...

And, in MY HUMBLE OPINION, wrong...

Everyone values different things when choosing a cabin...That poster's opinion tends to overvalue assumed sunlight...ANY balcony with any sort of overhang, to him, is a negative...

In MY opinion, the most important things are LOCATION and BALCONY SIZE...

The cabins you noted are, for me, EXCELLENT.

I had #2111 on Eclipse in July 2012 and #2106 on Silhouette this past June/July...

#2111 was very, very good...#2106 was even better...

#2111 has an oversized balcony and a location very close to the aft elevators. We heard no noise at all from the buffet above...the only negative (and a minor one at that) was that the smoking area is near the cabin as you leave onto the pool deck--I had to remember to cross to the other side of the ship. We had no effect from smoke ON the balcony...

#2106 was incredible...the balcony is nearly three times standard and the view is unobstructed both to the fore and to the aft...and it was on the nonsmoking side of the ship...Again, no noise issue even with the men's room immediately above...

Convenience from this area is great...The aft elevators go directly down to the Dining Room or up (or just one flight of stairs up) to the buffet...The pool deck is literally right out your door.

The "overhang" issue doesn't bother us in the least...If we wanted shade outside, we sat closer to the sliding doors, if we wanted sunlight, we moved the chairs out to the rail...There are no support poles blocking the view from these cabins either...

The benefit of this thread is really in the photos--which are great. Use those and disregard the OP's opinion on cabins--unless you agree with him that direct sunlight is the overwhelming criteria in choosing a cabin...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Everyone values different things when choosing a cabin...That poster's opinion tends to overvalue assumed sunlight...ANY balcony with any sort of overhang, to him, is a negative...

I had #2111 on Eclipse in July 2012 and #2106 on Silhouette this past June/July...

#2111 has an oversized balcony and a location very close to the aft elevators. We heard no noise at all from the buffet above...the only negative (and a minor one at that) was that the smoking area is near the cabin as you leave onto the pool deck--I had to remember to cross to the other side of the ship. We had no effect from smoke ON the balcony...

#2106 was incredible...the balcony is nearly three times standard and the view is unobstructed both to the fore and to the aft...and it was on the nonsmoking side of the ship...Again, no noise issue even with the men's room immediately above...

Convenience from this area is great...The aft elevators go directly down to the Dining Room or up (or just one flight of stairs up) to the buffet...The pool deck is literally right out your door.

The "overhang" issue doesn't bother us in the least...If we wanted shade outside, we sat closer to the sliding doors, if we wanted sunlight, we moved the chairs out to the rail...There are no support poles blocking the view from these cabins either...

The benefit of this thread is really in the photos--which are great. Use those and disregard the OP's opinion on cabins--unless you agree with him that direct sunlight is the overwhelming criteria in choosing a cabin...

As usual, excellent post.

Thank you for your input. I really like shade and you've given me confidence in booking these rooms. A balcony in the sun is not what I like. Plus these rooms are close to were I want to be most of the time.

Really!!???!!!??? :cool: seems Cruisetrail is giving excellent info here.

Be aware that cruisetrail has not been on most of the ships he is giving advice on, and in fact may not have been on any of them. Many of us suspect that his knowledge is only from reading about the ships, and not having been on them. Most, if not all, of the photos aren't even his. He is simply gathering information off the internet and passing it off as information that based solely on his opinions, not on his experience. Many of his opinions are simply wrong, with absolutely no factual basis other than his personal bias. Many of the facts he presents are incorrect, as well.

I much prefer advice from someone who has personal, first hand experience. I also value advice based on actual facts, not from personal bias.

Here is a direct quote from him on another thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39800847&postcount=116:

"Some people like to ask if someone actually cruised on a particular ship. I always answer that it does not matter where who cruised. What does matter - what the poster knows about the ship."

Using his reasoning, would you prefer taking advice from a travel agent who has only read about the cruise ships you are interested in, or one who cruises on them on a regular basis? Who do you think will provide more useful information?

Edited by SantaFeFan

I agree completely. We've been in those cabins he considers terrible.

I should mention that these cruises were booked with the Future Cruises Desk on our last cruise and were told that this was a great cabin. I think I would have been better off consulting cruisetrail.

Please don't be concerned. The man doesn't know what he is talking about. Your cabin has a wonderful large balcony and for a cabin on deck 6 you have no obstruction except if you are trying to look straight down to the water. Please just don't listen to him. The only possible negative is that you are portside above an outdoor smoking area. It shouldn't really be a problem when the ship, is moving.

Be aware that cruisetrail has not been on most of the ships he is giving advice on (this is lie) and in fact may not have been on any of them (this is lie). Many of us suspect that his knowledge is only from reading about the ships, and not having been on them (that's not my problem). Most, if not all, of the photos aren't even his (this is lie). He is simply gathering information off the internet and passing it off as information that based solely on his opinions (this is lie) , not on his experience (this is lie). Many of his opinions are simply wrong, ith absolutely no factual basis other than his personal bias (this is lie) . Many of the facts he presents are incorrect, as well (this is lie).

I much prefer advice from someone who has personal, first hand experience. I also value advice based on actual facts, not from personal bias.

Here is a direct quote from him on another thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39800847&postcount=116:

"Some people like to ask if someone actually cruised on a particular ship. I always answer that it does not matter where who cruised. What does matter - what the poster knows about the ship."

(That was was my answer to a poster who "actualy cruised" on a particular ship but confused everything and pasted misinformation).

Using his reasoning, would you prefer taking advice from a travel agent who has only read about the cruise ships you are interested in, or one who cruises on them on a regular basis? Who do you think will provide more useful information? (Let others decide!)

I love your posts, SantaFeFan.

This is one that cruisetrails has marked as "yellow" - would not recommend to his friends. I have been in this cabin twice and it is fantastic. Great location, fantastic balcony. If he has flagged it because of possible noise from the deck above he is wrong. I am a very light sleeper and sensitive to noise and I had no problems whatsoever. The only time I heard noise was a few times throughout the day I might have faintly heard heels overhead. That was it. I would wholeheartedly recommend this cabin to my friends.

Would you put 6215 on the Solstice in the red category? When we booked it was the only 1a available. No way to change now as we are in there for 4 consecutive cruises. Starting to feel bad about this.

Hi, sandancer.

6215 on the Solstice is the same location as 6214 (photo) but on the other side.

You see the photo and YOU can decide if it's good for you or not.

"Red" does not mean bad (this is a ship, not a labor camp).

Red means that there are much better options.

I don't like this cabin because of the location - you'll see various equipment in front/below your balcony.

I prefer pure unobstructed view of the ocean. "Prefer" - to say the least.

Unspoiled views is one of the qualities of a balcony.

Potential issue - smoking area nearby.

Positive about 6215 - balcony size.

We sometimes cannot make choices and have to put up with what is given.

Nothing major. You'll enjoy your cruise.

k4ef4x.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Dear Readers!

I have been off this thread for a while.

Some requests for cabin pictures are waiting for answers.

I am still busy with another ongoing project, but I will be back to bring your pictures and to complete the review.

Colors (red, yellow, green) are of course my opinion and recommendation.

Green - because it's obviously a good option

Yellow - because it's so-so

Red - because there are much better options

However, this is based on general considerations that are a norm for cruise industry - cabins above and below and on both sides.

It's not necessary to explain why.

There was a poster here who did not agree with me about a cabin under a public restroom. Ha stated that there were no problem.

My opinion - for some inexplicable reasons I don"t want to live under public toilet and do not recommned it to my friends.

Needless to add that some posters reported what they heard from above the ceiling.

Is it a bad thing to remind that a public restroom will be above?

I think it's a good thing.

The most important thing that some nasty posters fail to take in consideration:

I am not posting just words, I am posting photos - that are documented ship facts.

Everyone can look at them and find things that are important for the reader.

You like the huge overhang?

I find it irritating and depressing.

You like it? You don't mind undustrial struts on your balcony? Deep shade is what you are looking for?

No problem.

Skip my comment about "irritating and depressing" and enjoy your overhang.

Just know how your balcony looks like.

Thank you for your attention to this thread.

More photos will come soon.

Friends, enjoy your cruises!

Edited by cruisetrail