The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

What a wonderful thread this has been. One question please. You show A1 cabin 1552 with the window washing equipment right outside.

The photo was of Silhouette, do you know if it is outside 1552 on Eclipse as we were told by our t/a that we have a 10% obstructed view.

It certainly looks more than that to me!

I have looked on the cabin spread sheet, but I did not find it too helpful the photos are much better.

Thanks anyone who can help.

We had that cabin on the Silhouette for April TA

It did not beg me

Found the over hang to be more of a pain

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384482859.209385.jpg.9e9a757f2d416e49d0bd63d01f7cddc8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Guys.

My wife and I are madly researching a Med Cruise on the Silhouette for our upcoming 40th wedding anniversary. Wondering if one of you kind people could recommend a midships verandah stateroom on either Deck 6 or 8 which is unobstructed with great views. First time on Celebrity and really looking forward to it.

Thanks so much.

Bob & Chris from AUSTRALIA.:):):)

Hi Bob & Chris!

We are going on Solstice in OCT and did similar research ...alot of it right from this thread! Deck 6 is pretty much all obstructed by the lifeboats, unless you get a forward cabin. But if you are wary of the ships motion, these may not be a good choice. There are photos of these cabins earlier in the thread.

Deck 8 is largely unobstructed. If you prefer midships (allegedly less movement felt) go for a cabin on the 'hump' where the cabins extend further out to the edge of the ship. Or if you would like a little more verandah space I learnt from this thread that cabins 1st and 3rd from the hump on the 'angle' will have the largest verandahs. Worth looking at the first 10 or so pages of this thread - has lots of photos and diagrams to help you out. And definitely check out page 46 (one before this!) to photos/answers to my original query and some great shots of 'corner hump' cabins!

At end of day though don't think any cabin on a lovely Solstice class ship is a BAD one if you compare to being at home :D:p

Good luck choosing and Enjoy your 40th Anniversary celebrations aboard Silhouette!!

Edited by QE2_Fan

Hi Guys.

My wife and I are madly researching a Med Cruise on the Silhouette for our upcoming 40th wedding anniversary. Wondering if one of you kind people could recommend a midships verandah stateroom on either Deck 6 or 8 which is unobstructed with great views. First time on Celebrity and really looking forward to it.

Thanks so much.

We were on deck 7...7225...totally unobstructed, midship on the hump, port side. I could not have asked for a better location. Quick left, quick right out of the room and the elevators were right there. If you look at the deck plans for the ship, you should be able to see deck 6 and 8. Keep in mind, the smoking section on deck 5 was below us but we never smelled anything. We had wonderful views going into different ports.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Guys.

Thanks so much.

You might want to wait before booking a mega ship for the Med. Italy will be restricting the size and number of ships sailing in Venetian waters.

I believe all Solstice class ships will be restricted.

For me the Venice sail-away is my all- time favorite.

I would not want to miss that experience.

Edited by luv4cruises

Thankyou so much all your great people for your help in researching a cabin for us. Need to get this one right if you know what I mean, lol.

Cheers Bob.:):)

When is your cruise and what is your itinerary? I've also read that Venice will begin to limit the number of ships in port but I'm not sure when this will all transpire.:confused:

Thankyou so much for all your pictures and information. We are going on a ta this november in 9382, is the balcony totally uncovered? If not about what percentage is covered? How about soot in these cabins?

Thankyou once again for all your help

We were in 9305 on the Silhouette Transatlantic back in 2011. I thought the fact that the balcony was pretty much uncovered would bother me, but it didn't at all. It was a great refuge in the sun when it was too windy on the pool deck. I also disagree that the balcony is not as deep as the balconies on the port and starboard sides. It's is the same depth. See additional photos. We LOVED the aft balcony - it provides SUCH amazing sailaway views because you have a 180 degree vantage point. Would book again in a heartbeat.

2044687087_9305balcony.jpg.b123c69a0edbee0458f020ca14b8b154.jpg

323814607_9305breakfast.jpg.61c28d8be27612082fcc56f039dc674c.jpg

1752338611_9305sailaway.jpg.bafa853b76e9d7f2e7b0d806b5f40f4d.jpg

Cruisetrail,

This is absolutely the BEST thread I've ever seen!!

Such passion and details!!

I wish you were doing the M-Class ships! We are sailing on our first M-Class on a Destination Wedding Cruise in March, 2014 (on Connie).

We always book AQ...but have been fantasizing about the suites! I don't much car for Spa Suite...but the Celebrity Suite will never happen!

Anyway...EXCELLENT work!

Celebrity should PAY you to do a "Best of Class" post (i.e. you list the best staterooms in each class...for each Celebrity ship).

That would be awesome!!

D

Anybody have an answer to my question above? Since I'm a Celebrity newbie, I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks. Here's the original question:

"Just booked 8338 on Reflection. The picture of the balcony on the deckplan looks much larger than other 1A's and not slanted. Is it a good choice (we like large balconies)? If not, what might be a better choice in either a 1A, 1B or 1C? Thanks"

Anybody have an answer to my question above? Since I'm a Celebrity newbie, I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks. Here's the original question:

"Just booked 8338 on Reflection. The picture of the balcony on the deckplan looks much larger than other 1A's and not slanted. Is it a good choice (we like large balconies)? If not, what might be a better choice in either a 1A, 1B or 1C? Thanks"

Never stayed in this cabin but the S Class spreadsheet says

Oversized and angled with a comment:Last Cabin at the end of the corridor, before the Aft Cabins and Corner Sky Suites. Cabin is last on the air conditioning line and very little air circulates and the cabin can get hot during the night. We like our room cold, so if you do not, you will love the cabin. Excellent all the way around.

Also for the Silhouette which I think should be similar:

Last cabin aft on starboard side; much larger balcony and has picture

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018&page=94 (post 1879)

How is "Modern Luxury" doing at this point?

We have observed public rooms (not all of them yet).

Celebrity’s designers have missed a chance: axial planning would have been a dramatic improvement.

Celebrity S-Class Ships feature ordinary lateral planning that is typical for smaller cruise ships.

Nevertheless, major public spaces are very close to their advertising slogan (except for the Reflection).

See the first part of the review.

We have inspected Celebrity S-Class ships cabins - almost inch by inch.

Attention was paid to cabins sizes and layout, balconies and their location.

Overall score is average.

Celebrity cabins & balconies have revealed too many issues to be entitled to "modern luxury" logo.

Standard cabins have simple and modern “IKEA” look.

However, they have been made narrower than usual to fit more cabins into a given space and have minimally adequate storage space for two guests.

Signs of luxury?

No. Quite the opposite.

Unusually large number of balconies is affected by lifeboats, hypertrophic overhang and huge struts to support it.

Surprisingly, many of expensive cabins are placed under public areas and the overhang.

It’s also quite symptomatic that the percentage of premium cabins (mini-suites and higher) on Celebrity Eclipse is two times lower than on HAL and Princess flagships.

Celebrity cabins and “modern luxury”?

Typical mass market. In some aspects higher, in some aspects lower than average.

Luxury has not spent a night there.

Now we go to the next part – open decks.

Balcony questions (if any) are still more than welcome.:)

Hi,

What a great post!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for it!!!!!!!!!!! What can you tell us about cabin 6286 on the Eclipse, we are concerned about the ladder, and is the veranda the same size the others? Do you have any photo's of the cabin and the veranda?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cruisetrail or others: opinions and thoughts on Family Veranda 8108....haven't seen anything on this thread. Many thanks.

Robin

I too would like info on EQ 8108. Will be in it 25 nov ( about one week time) and would like to know if there is a tv in the master bedroom? Please anyone??????

Cruisetrail or others: opinions and thoughts on Family Veranda 8108....haven't seen anything on this thread. Many thanks.

Robin

The following info came from the Thread called "S-Class Cabin Information Compilation -PLEASE - DO NOT POST CABIN QUESTIONS HERE!!!":

Deck - Vista

Cabin # - 8108

Class – Family Veranda

Starboard or Port Side - Starboard

Bed near?(balcony or bath) –N/A

Quiet Cabin (With comments on problems. Note if connecting. ) – Quiet Cabin, connecting with 8106

Balcony View - Give comments on view, noting if location of any obstructions was an issue. – Great view no obstructions

Balcony Size? Normal or oversized for class? - Double of a regular size balcony (twice as long)

Was wind a problem? No, also had an area to get out of wind if it was a problem.

If an aft cabin, was soot a problem? N/A

Any specific problems with this cabin? No

Any other comments? Great, extremely large cabin with two bedrooms. It is great for families!

Also, check out post #217 on this same thread - there are pictures of the cabin.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I think you got a really, really good cabin. Here's a video that shows the cabin and balcony...nice!

This is the Second Part of the Grand Tour of Celebrity Eclipse and other S-Class ships.

The First Part covers:

]

Nicely appointed cabins.

A strange design feature of the "corner" Sky Suites - load bearing metal posts in the middle of the room.

Not a sign of sophisticated ship design to say the least.

The number of posts varies from 1 to 2 in different cabins of this category.

e6an4o.jpg

dsnlh.jpg

2zh2udw.jpg

The pole is for modern luxury. Doesn't every wife do pole dancing for their husband?

🎄🎅

Because of this helpful thread, we changed our cabin on the Reflection from 8338 to 7219 (at the forward corner of the middle hump). It seemed like a better location - near the mid elevators and the Hideaway - as well as having one of the largest balconies.

Any pictures of the balcony of 7219? I'd love to see it. I think the bed is by the balcony - anyone know for sure? If you've stayed in this cabin, did you like it?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Because of this helpful thread, we changed our cabin on the Reflection from 8338 to 7219 (at the forward corner of the middle hump). It seemed like a better location - near the mid elevators and the Hideaway - as well as having one of the largest balconies.

Any pictures of the balcony of 7219? I'd love to see it. I think the bed is by the balcony - anyone know for sure? If you've stayed in this cabin, did you like it?

Thanks! :)

When are you cruising? We booked 7215 for January 25 2014 on Reflection. I would love to see some pics! Hoping its a good choice :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks.

Enjoy your cruise!

Count me in that you have provided us great information. I don't have a problem with you injecting your opinion about the S-class ships and design issues you have identified. This will be my first cruise on Celebrity and I suspect I will love it since I love cruising but I agree about the flaw of not having a promenade deck. I have cruised only on Princess and love having that. My wife and I spent a lot of time walking around the ship on the promenade deck, especially in Alaska. Will miss that but looking forward to other aspects of the Reflection. After my cruise next month, I might disagree with you on other design aspects or I might agree but don't have a problem with you sharing your opinions. Would love to see something like this for the other cruise lines.