What to do with suitcases?

Mamabelle

Leaving on Sunday for our first cruise. I understand the rooms are small and closet space is minimal. Do you keep the suitcases in your room or can you stow them elsewhere on the ship? Trying to figure out which bg to bring.

Thank you very much.

We just slide them under the beds.
.....and if the bed frame is too low for a suitcase to slide under it easily, you just lift it up a little on that side to slide the suitcase under, since there is more space under the middle of the bed than under the frame.

In case you should have a very thick suitcase that still won't fit, open it up (so it is only half as high) and slide it under that way, leaving it open under the bed.

Some people like to do that anyway in order to use it as an extra storage area, giving them easy access to whatever they keep in the suitcase by using it as a slide-out shelf.

If the other ideas don't work, you can do what I do. I put them under the bed.

If you see any drawers under the bed, please take a picture, because I've never seen any drawers that restrict how much luggage can fit under the bed. Of course there is a first time for everything.

In spite of the drawers on HAL ships -- we are still able to get 4 large suitcases under the bed. The only cabins on HAL ships where you can not put luggage under the beds is the PS -- bed is a solid box frame to the floor -- but there are still 2 drawers at the foot of the bed on most ships.

If you have large, hard sided suitcases -- you may or may not have troubles getting them under the bed. In that case you can have your cabin steward stow away your luggage. He will bring it back on the last full day of the cruise.

It must also be noted that the end of most cruise ship beds have drawers that may restrict how much under-the-bed space is available.

I wouldn't say "most" - I've never seen that on any of the cruises I've been on, and I've been on several different lines.

What I have encountered, though, is the "spare" bedding - when the beds are made up as twins, it's the king size comforter, etc, and vice versa. I push it up near the head of the bed and still have room for a suitcase or two under my twin.

On our recent Princess cruise DH went to put the luggage under the bed and there was a huge bag of pool towels in there probably 2 dozen, plus a bag of extra bedding. We couldn't fit both big suitcases and the carry ons under the bed so had to put the carry ons in the big luggage and stored one of them in the closet. Good thing we are trustworthy because I could of filled my linen cupboard with blue and white towels. :)

OP is on the NCL Dawn. I don't think NCL has drawers under the bed. By the way, remember to check under the bed before disembarking (the last day). You don't want to leave some suitcase behind, or anything else like your "drawers".

Archived