What are the plugs in the cabins

garethllewellyn

We have just come off the Volendam on the same cruise (fabulous) and there is a 110 and a 220 V power point. We are Australian and just took a European type double adapter for the 220 and had no problems charging our cameras and the ipad.

Ozcruizer :)

2007 Zaandam to Alaska

2010 Volendam to New Zealand

2012 Volendam Great Barrier Reef & Far East Discovery Tour

We will be going on the Volendam to the Far East in January. We shall take Kindle and Tablet and will need to recharge. Are the sockets in the cabin US (as in America) or European (as in Holland).

Robin and Helen

There is one US -type outlet and one European. I just take one adapter (for either) and a power strip which I plug into that, so that I can plug in all my British gadgets without fiddling about with adapters for each one.

Volendam has both US and English plugs -- right beside each other.

attachment.php?attachmentid=248506&d=1350387108

attachment.php?attachmentid=142501&d=1262952181

Your picture is right but not your description. The 220 plug is for most everywhere in Europe EXCEPT the UK. IIRC the UK has 3 large rectangular prongs (perhaps 1/8" x 1/2") with 2 in line and the 3rd at right angles (see the thumbnail from QM2). The 220 plug is one of the differences between HAL Signature and Queen Victoria/Elizabeth.

Roy

1571202364_IMG_3014(Small).jpg.69d0408bb284621d466efcb008e43ebb.jpg

On the Eurodam, in our cabin we had two sets of plugs and the funny thing was that one set was labeled 110 and 220 while the other was 220 and 110, but both were set up the same! Obviously someone did not read the labels when they installed them. Confused me at first.

DaveOKC

On the Eurodam, in our cabin we had two sets of plugs ...

The E-dam was the first of the HAL ships to have a second set of plugs. Progress! It helps make up for the inaccessible outlet in the bathroom. :mad:

I presume the Nieuw Amsterdam continued with that improvement, but I have not been aboard to find out for certain.

The E-dam was the first of the HAL ships to have a second set of plugs. Progress! It helps make up for the inaccessible outlet in the bathroom. :mad:

I presume the Nieuw Amsterdam continued with that improvement, but I have not been aboard to find out for certain.

Not true..Oosterdam has two sets also.

387971998307_0_ALB.jpg

Also double outlets on Westerdam:

BG-25.jpg

I also notice how useless the very high plug in the bathroom is but was surprised to notice in our "SA" on Westerdam, the plug in the bathroom was only half way up the way and was easily reachable by most everyone. That plug could be used to charge a toothbruss etc which was nice to see. We had no need or use for it but I know many other people do. I put the toothbrush holder on my dressing table and that works well for us.

Thank you for the correction. I have never sailed the Oosterdam, but don't recall two sets of outlets on the Westerdam. I shared a cabin with my grandgirl on the Westerdam, and she was constantly unplugging my breathing machine!

Your pics aren't focused close enough to demonstrate, but I'll take your word for it.

No plug at the night stand next to the bed? Ugh. That's a travel pet peeve of mine. I always want my phone charging next to the bed.

Not a one on any HAL ship, in any HAL cabin I have ever sailed. Phone heck, I always want my breathing machine running next to the bed.

On the Zuiderdam in SB 7142 I discovered a HIDDEN 220 Volt Outlet that you can use!!!

As you enter the stateroom on the left hand side across from the Bar area there is a corner cabinet with a lamp on it, open the cabinet and you will find a hidden electrical outlet with one unused outlet.

sm-7142_IRL_Joanie-9.jpg--sm-7142_IRL_Joanie-10.jpg

Joanie

On the Zuiderdam in SB 7142 I discovered a HIDDEN 220 Volt Outlet that you can use!!!

As you enter the stateroom on the left hand side across from the Bar area there is a corner cabinet with a lamp on it, open the cabinet and you will find a hidden electrical outlet with one unused outlet.

sm-7142_IRL_Joanie-9.jpg--sm-7142_IRL_Joanie-10.jpg

Joanie

Was this on your just completed cruise, Joanie?

You just now found that outlet? Way down low inside a closed cabinet?

Was this on your just completed cruise, Joanie?

You just now found that outlet? Way down low inside a closed cabinet?

No Judy, that photo has been on my site since I took it and posted it under the Zuiderdam SC 7142 after our September Alaska cruise.

The corner cabinet across from the bar and at the end of the sofa, closest to the front door was where we keep all of our $1.00 US Bills that we pay Room Service. One day as I was getting the tip money out I happened to think, "Where is this lamp plugged in?" and there it was!!

I do not know about any of the other Vistas or Eurodam, but I found this only on the Zuiderdam. The Nieuw Amsterdam same location, Deck 6 SC stateroom, the lamp was hard wired into the wall and no hidden plug there:(

Joanie

Is there a clock next to the bed?

To expand on Sail's answer, you don't want to bring your own plug-in clock, either. It will not keep correct time. It has something to do with the form of current (don't ask me; I wasn't paying attention that day in school).

Is there a clock next to the bed? I assume the bed lamps must be hard wired sconces? Now I am all worried about no outlet near the bed. As my user name implies.......

You can bring a power strip (or 2) with you and plug it into one of the outlets.

Or you can ask your Stateroom Steward for one and he/she will get you one that is a heavy duty single outlet extension cord that is about 50ft in length. Our Steward on both Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam got me one.

Joanie

387971998307_0_ALB.jpg

BG-25.jpg

Hi all

So the Oosterdam has both American and European plugs?

I am Australian and am going on it out of Sydney in March 2013

First time on HAL so it would be appreciated if someone could confirm this.

Thank you:)

Barbara

Archived