"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas / Jan 5, 2013

Radio

Hello everyone. . . .Welcome BACK to Day 6 of “LIVE” from the Enchantment of the Seas. . .

We arrived at our Samana Bay anchorage this morning at about 9AM. The anchorage point is about midway between Samana Bay Marina and Cay Levantado. (About 1 ½ miles). Because of the internet being down for the third day in a row, my mind was torn about what I wanted to do. I decided that I would try to see if there was internet access, or an internet café, close to Samana Bay Marina.

At around noon, I decided to take the short tender ride over to the marina. The outcome was pretty bleak. There were a ton of vendors there but they were interested in selling tours or taxi rides, but none of them were interested in my internet café questions. By the time I made it to the pier, I realized that I wasn’t feeling up to speed and only stayed ashore for a short time before I came back to the ship. The tender ride over there was in one of the double decker ships’ tenders. But coming back to the ship, they loaded us into one of the high speed Samana tenders.

I have been checking for internet access almost every hour for the last three days. So when I returned to the ship I went to my cabin and tried it again = Eureka = it worked! What’s going on? I can’t believe it’s actually working now. I wanted to make sure that I could quickly send my photos up to the server. It appears to be working well now. It is very fast and works very smoothly. I spoke to other passengers who never had a problem connecting because they used their global data plan with their device. (iPad, iPhone, Driod) Unfortunately I decided not to bring my device as to avoid global data charges. (Oops!).

The next time I am in Samana Bay, I will try to do something that is more constructive and that will allow me to see the island. We pulled up anchor promptly at 5:30PM. Captain Gus suggested that we should arrive in Labadee a little earlier than originally scheduled. I am very happy that I will have a cabana. Tomorrow we are scheduled to share Labadee with Independence of the Seas. We hope to be pulling up to the pier around 7AM.

Here are a few pics from our arrival and my short time ashore in Samana.

Thanks for all the nice comments and thanks for tuning in.

Radio

I wake up to a beautiful sunrise before breakfast

F3.JPG

The big screen TV on the pool deck looks especially brilliant at dawn

F5.JPG

It looks like today will be another bright and sunny day

F6.JPG

We pass by the resort island of Cayo Levantado

F9.JPG

I am really tired of seeing this sign for the last 3 days (@#$%&)

F15.JPG

As we anchor, the tenders get prepped for passengers who will board on Deck 1

F18.JPG

Here are a few more pics from today. More pics tomorrow from our arrival in Labadee

Radio

We approach the Samana Bay marina with the ships’ tenders

F26.JPG

I love the moto-taxis and would love to take a ride in one

F30.JPG

No WiFi around here so I guess I will go back to the ship

F31.JPG

I had to wait for this tender to fill up with passengers before we could get back on board

F33.JPG

The Radio press room is back in action again

F35.JPG

Our current position . . .

MAP10.jpg

Hi Radio, Can you tell me about the Marriott resort beach? Do you have to rent chairs or get a day pass? Also, what is the cost of a taxi there? Thanks!

There is no entry fee at Morningstar Beach. Chair rentals are available for $10 for the day. There are changing rooms, jet ski rentals and a bar & grill.

I saw a lot of cruise passengers there. Taxi fare is $4 each way PP.

Radio

;);)

I am so so loving your review a LOT!!! Its really making me so excited for my cruise in 21 days on Explorer!! we are also going to St. Thomas Labadee and Samana. Thanks so much for taking the time out and doing a Live Review!! Your so awesome Radio!!! :)

Radio, thanks for the updates and the pictures of the Enchantment. We received great news from the hospital yesterday that our son is on the mend and will most likely be out of the ICU today if all went well last night. It really looks like we will be on the Enchantment, February 16th for 9 outstanding nights. Your updates are really getting us ready for this well needed cruise.

Smitty

Hope your internet connection will remain good for the rest of your cruise.

Can you post some pics of your D1 bathroom? And would also love to see pics of the JS bathroom if you have access to one.

Thanks for all the great pics and comments!

Thanks Radio, enjoying the thread.

When in Labadee can you see if you can find the ship schedule for March? We saw one of the vendors in the large building at the entry to the artisan market had it out on his desk and it showed the ship schedule for some time ahead. I'm curious if we will be alone or with another ship when we are there March 15.

Thanks!

Thanks Radio, enjoying the thread.

When in Labadee can you see if you can find the ship schedule for March? We saw one of the vendors in the large building at the entry to the artisan market had it out on his desk and it showed the ship schedule for some time ahead. I'm curious if we will be alone or with another ship when we are there March 15.

Thanks!

You will be the only ship on port.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitinglabadeehaiti-15mar2013.html

There is no entry fee at Morningstar Beach. Chair rentals are available for $10 for the day. There are changing rooms, jet ski rentals and a bar & grill.

I saw a lot of cruise passengers there. Taxi fare is $4 each way PP.

Radio

;);)

Thanks Radio. Thinking that's what we might do before we head off to our new favorite "dog house pub".

Hello everyone. . . Welcome to DAY 7 of “LIVE” from Enchantment of the Seas. . . We arrived at the Pier in Labadee very early today (6:30AM).

I am keeping a low profile on the Internet being back up. . .If too many people know it is on then it may crash again. . .Shhhh. We were tied to the pier by around 7AM, and the Indy of the Seas should be here by around 10AM.

I am excited about having Cabana today as I have had them in the past and find them very relaxing. . . I may try the Dragons Breath Coaster, and maybe the Dragons Zipline. I am meeting my group at 9AM, and we have to back on board by 330 PM for a 4PM departure.

Oops, I must grab a cup of Starbucks before I get off the ship.

Here are a few pics from our arrival. . .

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

We approach the Labadee Pier early this morning. . .

L1.JPG

Enchantment of the Seas approaches the pier slowly

L3.JPG

The sun is coming over the mountains. . .

L4.JPG

The forecast for the day is SUNNY ! (84F)

L5.JPG

Independence of the Seas will be docked next to us soon. . .

L8.JPG

I should be meeting my group by 9AM. . .

L6.JPG

Hello everyone. . . Welcome to DAY 7 of “LIVE” from Enchantment of the Seas. . . We arrived at the Pier in Labadee very early today (6:30AM).

I am keeping a low profile on the Internet being back up. . .If too many people know it is on then it may crash again. . .Shhhh. We were tied to the pier by around 7AM, and the Indy of the Seas should be here by around 10AM.

I am excited about having Cabana today as I have had them in the past and find them very relaxing. . .

Radio

Hey Radio

If you don't mind sharing this but I was wondering just what it cost for a cabana

Hey Radio

If you don't mind sharing this but I was wondering just what it cost for a cabana

Hey Miz it depends on location. Not sure which one Radio has but the cabanas at Nellie's beach are the most desirable IMHO. And they run 200-250 for the day. That's not per person, that's for the cabana which can have up to 6 guests

I just booked two cabins on the September 23rd sailing out of Florida on this ship. It'll be our first time on Royal Caribbean, so finding this thread is a wonderful thing! Thank you so much for sharing!

You will love this ship...

Hey Miz it depends on location. Not sure which one Radio has but the cabanas at Nellie's beach are the most desirable IMHO. And they run 200-250 for the day. That's not per person, that's for the cabana which can have up to 6 guests

Wow I really had no idea.

I also didn't know there are more than the one beach there.

I'm really enjoying your review and pictures... sorry if this is a stupid question.. I booked the Enchatment of the Seas for a 4 day cruise in feb of 2014.. will this be the same ship as the one you are on? do they reposition the ship to florida port departures at some point?

I'm really enjoying your review and pictures... sorry if this is a stupid question.. I booked the Enchatment of the Seas for a 4 day cruise in feb of 2014.. will this be the same ship as the one you are on? do they reposition the ship to florida port departures at some point?
Enchantment will begin sailing regularly from Port Canaveral in April of this year. :)

The Enchantment is being repositioned, to Florida, in April. I'll miss it, out of Baltimore, but plan to savor my upcoming experience, in 3 days! You'll LOVE THIS SHIP!:)

Radio, once again, I so appreciate all the unselfish time & effort, in doing this LIVE report. It's actually helped to get me through some rough times, at home! Thank you, so much & have a safe return!:)

You will love this ship...

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I've only been on Carnival ships so far, and for first cruises, I haven't any complaints, but I've heard Royal Caribbean is so much better. Taking my mom, sister and son with me, so we should have a great time. I'm really enjoying all updates from Radio and the pictures, it's wonderful to "see" the ship before we see the ship lol.

Thanks again!

Heather

Wow I really had no idea.

I also didn't know there are more than the one beach there.

There's two beaches I believe... Nellie's and Barefoot. Barefoot is reserved for suite guests and those who have earned a lot of credits with the crown and anchor society. There are some cabanas near the buffet area but personally I wouldn't be interested in them because they are far from the water and to me not very private

Hello everyone. . . Welcome to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

First off. . .al little info about my Internet Access today. My last post from the ship was at 10PM last night. . . I have been unable to connect to any Internet all day, and no one on the ship could connect either.

Radio

;);)

Thanks for that info, I'm reading for my own enjoyment, but I'm reading for a friend who runs an internet business and is doing a 4 day on this ship when she gets to Port Canaveral, so I appreciate the internet info. Yesterdays pictures remind me I need a good wide angle lens.

Archived