"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas / Jan 5, 2013

Radio

Hello everyone. . . I am back on the ship and we left Labadee promptly at 4PM. Independence of the Seas was still there and may leave later than scheduled because she arrived 2 hrs late.

I got off of the ship at 9AM and met my group (Cruise Critic members) over at the Labadee Limo pick up station (just past the security checkpoint) It was a short ride over to Barefoot Beach where we enjoyed our Cabana for the day. We had a standard Cabana right near the entrance to Barefoot beach.

I love the cabanas there as they are very quiet, and the beach is very calm with soft sand. Labadee has several beaches but it seems that Barefoot beach might be the most calm one there. There are clean restrooms nearby, and the grill station is right inside the Barefoot beach gates. . . I always try to get one when I am going to Labadee, and now passengers can rent a cabana over on Nellie’s Beach before they sail. It looks like they had about 18 cabanas there.

I wanted to ride on the Dragons Tail Coaster and so I went before the Indy docked to avoid the crowds. I was able to ride twice and I made a video on the first run, and a time lapse on the 2nd run with Dragons Tail. It is a fun ride, and it is easy to control your speed (it can go very fast). I’m glad I went when I did, because I noticed later that there were long lines there (after Indy docked) The Dragons breath Fight Line (ZipLine) ride was closed today due to high winds.

There were a lot of passengers there with 2500 from Enchantment and over 4000 passengers from Independence. It didn’t seem too bad though. . .there are a lot of crew to help everyone with food servings, and the RCI vendors were staffed with plenty of help. The food today was good, and I think that RCI has figured out how to entertain over 6000 passengers after taking care of Oasis class ships.

I stopped briefly in the Artisans’ Market (fixed price) and Artisans’ Village (negotiable prices) and it seems that the business was brisk with so many people there today. I missed the local Haitian dance troupe as I wanted to get back to the ship to get cleaned up for dinner, and write this post.

Here are a few pics from today. . .I have taken 100’s of pics while on this cruise and will post many more when I return home. I have been trying to post about 18-20 pics per day (when I have internet) .

Thanks for the nice comments. . .

Radio

Welcome to Labadee. . .

L10.JPG

I’m not sure why the anchor is down. . .it must be lowered for

maintenance.

L11.JPG

The beautiful Enchantment of the Seas

L12.JPG

I take the “Labadee Limo” over to Barefoot Beach

L14.JPG

My Cabana is an S-3 (Non water and Non hilltop)

L15.JPG

The beautiful view from my Cabana. . .Ahhh. . .

L16.JPG

Here are a few more pics. . .Many more pics after dinner !

Radio

The Cabanas on the water are wonderful. . .

L17.JPG

Nellie’s beach added many (18) cabanas and they filled up very fast.

L22.JPG

The beach at Nellie’s Beach is nice.

L24.JPG

I walk over to Columbus Cove and pass the New Slide. ($20 for all day)

L25.JPG

The slide looks really nice, but it was early and not many passengers were riding.

L29.JPG

Here is a view from the top of the Slide. . .I wasn’t able to purchase a ticket.

L31.JPG

Hello everyone. . . .Welcome BACK to Day 6 of “LIVE” from the Enchantment of the Seas. . .

We arrived at our Samana Bay anchorage this morning at about 9AM. The anchorage point is about midway between Samana Bay Marina and Cay Levantado. (About 1 ½ miles). Because of the internet being down for the third day in a row, my mind was torn about what I wanted to do. I decided that I would try to see if there was internet access, or an internet café, close to Samana Bay Marina.

At around noon, I decided to take the short tender ride over to the marina. The outcome was pretty bleak. There were a ton of vendors there but they were interested in selling tours or taxi rides, but none of them were interested in my internet café questions. By the time I made it to the pier, I realized that I wasn’t feeling up to speed and only stayed ashore for a short time before I came back to the ship. The tender ride over there was in one of the double decker ships’ tenders. But coming back to the ship, they loaded us into one of the high speed Samana tenders.

I have been checking for internet access almost every hour for the last three days. So when I returned to the ship I went to my cabin and tried it again = Eureka = it worked! What’s going on? I can’t believe it’s actually working now. I wanted to make sure that I could quickly send my photos up to the server. It appears to be working well now. It is very fast and works very smoothly. I spoke to other passengers who never had a problem connecting because they used their global data plan with their device. (iPad, iPhone, Driod) Unfortunately I decided not to bring my device as to avoid global data charges. (Oops!).

The next time I am in Samana Bay, I will try to do something that is more constructive and that will allow me to see the island. We pulled up anchor promptly at 5:30PM. Captain Gus suggested that we should arrive in Labadee a little earlier than originally scheduled. I am very happy that I will have a cabana. Tomorrow we are scheduled to share Labadee with Independence of the Seas. We hope to be pulling up to the pier around 7AM.

Here are a few pics from our arrival and my short time ashore in Samana.

Thanks for all the nice comments and thanks for tuning in.

Radio

I wake up to a beautiful sunrise before breakfast

F3.JPG

Just love this picture........ beautiful. As all the other ones are, but this is my favorite so far. Love those sunrise and sunset pictures.

Gwen :)

Radio,

Me & my sister (Eileen) were talking about getting up early & exploring the ship on our cruise in March on the Explorer to take early morning photos - seeing your nice photos makes me more wanting to do that - but of course I will have to have my coffee too:D.\

Pat

Thanks Gambee! I didn't know about that site, but glad to see the news - when we were there a few weeks back there was us (Explorer) as well as Independence and it was quite packed - almost 8000 people (IIRC) was what they announced.

It'll be downright amazing with only Enchantment there on our March cruise. :)

Here are a few more pics from my wonderful day in Labadee !

Radio

Artisans’ Market. . .

L41.JPG

Artisans’ Village stalls. . .there may have been over 100 stalls.

L42.JPG

Adrenaline Beach. . .The water was a little rough here.

L43.JPG

I rode the Dragons Tail Coaster twice !

L36.JPG

The water on Barefoot Beach was very clear and very calm. . .

L19.JPG

I view Enchantment of the Seas from Nellie’s Beach. . .

L21.JPG

Fondest Greetings Radio!

I've read your Live reports before and found them quite useful but also very entertaining.

I'll be sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas in August.

Regards,

Thanks for the nice comments, Susan. . . That is very nice of you to say:)

I think you will love Enchantment of the Seas !

Radio

;);)

Here are a few more pics from today. . .

Radio

Dragons Plaza is very quiet. . .

L47.JPG

Independence of the Seas really makes my ship look small

L48.JPG

The local musicians were wonderful

L49.JPG

All passengers will go though security before boarding the ship

L50.JPG

Back to my home for a few more nights. . .

L51.JPG

I make my way back to the “Valley of the Giants”

L52.JPG

These are the last few pics for tonight. . .

Many more pics tomorrow.

Radio

This is a different view from when I left here this morning. . .

L54.JPG

The last passengers quickly board Enchantment before leaving Labadee

L55.JPG

Enchantment of the Seas pulls away from the pier slowly

L56.JPG

We leave Independence of the Seas behind as we head home.

L60.JPG

Our Sail away party brought a lot of passengers out on the decks !

L61.JPG

The music was good and the mood was festive. . .So Long, Labadee

L64.JPG

Hi Radio,

We are thinking about Enchantment for March. Do you think all the cabins got bedding upgrades? Yours looks like ours did on Freedom.

Karyn

I will try to search for more cabin upgrades. . . I dont hink that all cabin catagories received as many upgrades.

Radio

;);)

Radio- thank you for all your posts. It's been wonderful to cruise along with you. Can you tell me from the time you left Baltimore how long was it before the warm weather came? We are leaving on the 26th and just curious when we can wear our shorts without freezing?

Thanks

Marita

I will try to search for more cabin upgrades. . . I dont hink that all cabin catagories received as many upgrades.

Radio

;);)

Thanks for your quick response. I'm really enjoying your review. We were suppose to be on Explorer out of Bayonne for March but due to finances needed to switch. Enchantment looks like a beautiful ship. Unfortunately we would most likely be in connecting insides. Will be a little different than our junior suite on Freedom in July. But we are on a cruise so that's all that matters :D

Thanks Radio, enjoying the thread.

When in Labadee can you see if you can find the ship schedule for March? We saw one of the vendors in the large building at the entry to the artisan market had it out on his desk and it showed the ship schedule for some time ahead. I'm curious if we will be alone or with another ship when we are there March 15.

Thanks!

We are alone in labadee. I can post the ships at each stop on our roll call. St Thomas is busiest for our cruise

Hi Radio,

Just loving your pics and "Live from" posts......as usual they are all amazing!

I have one question for you about Labadee, if you don't mind. We will be in Labadee in March and were wondering about the Cabana at Barefoot Beach, I tried ordering it tonight but it said "inquire onboard", so I am assuming that you can't order them until you get onboard then? Yes, we are suite guests so I am again assuming we would be able to rent one? One last question....is that price of $175.00 Per Person??? or is it $175.00 for up to 6 guests? Or how does it work?

Thanks Radio for any info you can give me.

Happy Cruising!!

Gail

Comet Cruiser

** DATELINE JANUARY 10, 2013**

The Internet is back on at Enchantment of the Seas. . . After 3 days of agony, I am now able to post. I know, I know. . .Why are you in agony Radio ? You are on a ship in the Caribbean. . .

Yes, but I love, love, love to post “LIVE” while on a cruise and it was just cramping my style. Anyway. . We are back and below is my post that I made last night while on aour way to St. Thomas. . . Here we go. . .

Hello everyone. . .I just got back to the ship from beautiful St. Thomas. I was hoping I could get a Wi-Fi signal from one of the local vendors here. I was able to pick up several signals. . .but was unable to connect to any of them. I could even pick up the Wi-Fi signal from Grand Princess and Norwegian Epic. . .Ooops.

My last chance for a Wi-Fi port is tomorrow in Samana Bay, where we will be anchored. I might be able to get a signal from the Hotel on Cayo Leventado, or at the Samana Bay Marina. Other than that I will have to wait until I get back to Baltimore on Monday. . . I hope they get it fixed soon. . . Many passengers and Crew rely on this signal to socialize with family and friends (Or post “LIVE” for Cruise Critic)

It was nice to make it up to Paradise Point this afternoon. The landowners now operate the property and are doing some major renovations to Paradise point.

There will be a new bar, restaurant, and shops. . . They will also start the new website for Paradise Point soon. I did have a Bushwacker. . .Wow, that drink packs a punch. . .it will cost you $9.75. . .Ouch !

Here are a few pics from today. . . Thanks for the nice comments.

Radio

My first glimpse of St. Thomas very early. . .

E1.JPG

We have to turn hard starboard to get lined up with the pier at Havensight

E2.JPG

Enchantment of the Seas approaches the pier slowly. . .

E3.JPG

It appears that we may have another sunny day !

E5.JPG

Blue skies on a cruise while in St. Thomas. . . I am a happy boy. . .

E7.JPG

We are docked directly behind Grand Princess

E8.JPG

Radio,

Thanks so much for the great live posts. Totally enjoying them!

DH and I take our annual trip to Paradise Point and always enjoy the Bushwackers. In fact, we have even starting making them at home in the summer. Glad to see that you enjoyed one too.

Radio,

Thanks for bringing us along. While its obvious you enjoy doing so, I know its work and its appreciated. I love seeing Samana, I've never seen that port before. You've also helped me to decide I definitely want to add the Vision Class to my cruising resume.

Archived