Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

What a great line, I love it!:)

Phd = Piled, Higher, & Deeper:p

Sent from my farm, on a homebuilt, lashed together, desktop computer,

over a DSL connection, tied to a barbwire fence, using a 300 baud modem via http protocol. :D

Hey! Not all PhDs are pretentious morons. Sometime they a really, really nice people that just had too much time on their hands and a weird obsession with an obscure topic! Seriously!:o

The dog food remark is truly priceless. Your a quick thinker. I think of great lines about a hour too late.

Now about doctors, like the last poster, they usually do not want to be called DR. My DIL is a doctor and never refers to that when on vacation. No reason to do so.

Hmm, the jewelry thing got me thinking. I think I just might be planning some snobbery myself, and I won't mind...

We took our Honeymoon in 2001 to Alaska. I haven't been on a Princess ship since then, but for no reason other than I found a better itinerary elsewhere. Soo, I had to purchase a really nice Princess carry-on before I got off, and it's been on my luggage shelf since then and is in pristine condition. I plan to use it, and expect they may not have that particular one anymore...

And, I bought a FANTASTIC pull over sweatshirt with the ships name embroidered on it that is still in pristine condition, even tho I wear it often. The cuffs aren't even ragged. Awesome quality, still looks new...and I plan to wear it. It says Regal Princess across the front. (for those who don't know, She's gone, soon to be replaced)

That's kind of snobby, isn't it. Showing off my "antiques" of long ago?

I once ran across someone somewhere, probably a grocery, who sniffed and said, Oh really? You think so? I couldn't understand what the heck she was talking about, then later, while looking in the mirror, I realized I was declaring myself a "Regal Princess" to those who have no idea she was a cruise ship. :D

We had a tablemate who made sure he wanted to be referred to as "Doctor", and corrected anyone who didn't. Even though it wouldn't have changed my opinion of him, he wasn't a medical doctor, but probably had a Ph.D. in basket weaving. We never called him "Doctor". Glad it was only one night.

That rates up there with customer's at work who flaunt their titles, but they're not as bad as their spouses who flaunt their titles. "You will call me Mrs Doctor so-an-so or Mrs Colones So-and-so" I want to tell them every tie that they didn't earn their husbands titles.

I have another partial snobbery story from my own Aunt. We had a family Alaska cruise (13 of us) back in August 2008 on the Star as a last hurrah's for my grandma. The entire trip, my aunt didn't relax and kept telling me constantly out of my moms ear shot (whom planned the trip) how I should try other cruise lines, how much more I'd like xyz cruise line, and criticizing for liking Princess. Now don't get me wrong, I adore my aunt but she was getting on my nerves seeing as how she'd never sailed with Princess.

fast forward to September 2011. My parents and I were going to Alaska again on the Golden this time and I needed a roomie so I paid for my aunt to come. a few days into the trip, we're walking along the promenade and she comments "this is a really nice ship and great staff....why does it look familiar"

I just stared at her with the look of "seriously" ad had to explain to her it was identical to the ship AND itinerary from last time. Needless to say she's not said a negative thing about MY cruise line since :D

I was seated at dinner with a lady who was complaining about the food, service,ship, and most of everything on the cruise. She made a statement saying the food on the ship was like dog food.

I seized the opportunity and told her that I would have to defer to her expertise because I had never eaten dog food.

It was amazing how quiet she was for the rest of the meal !!!!

Excellent come back.

And, I bought a FANTASTIC pull over sweatshirt with the ships name embroidered on it that is still in pristine condition, even tho I wear it often. The cuffs aren't even ragged. Awesome quality, still looks new...and I plan to wear it. It says Regal Princess across the front. (for those who don't know, She's gone, soon to be replaced)

Wear it on the new Regal.

Watch how many people want to know which onboard shop you bought it in.

I wonder if I'm a "snob", I love all the t-shirts that I've bought on various cruises--Baltic, So. Am etc--and wear them on cruises--try to only wear Princess ones on Princess etc.

A snob is wearing tee shirts from places you have never been or a Harvard sweatshirt when neither you or any relative has attended there.

Hey! Not all PhDs are pretentious morons. Sometime they a really, really nice people that just had too much time on their hands and a weird obsession with an obscure topic! Seriously!:o

Yeah.

Have a great time on the Star, Dr. T. I'll be thinking about you jealously all fortnight. Wave at a penguin for me!

A snob is wearing tee shirts from places you have never been or a Harvard sweatshirt when neither you or any relative has attended there.

But what about football fans? If Harvard is in your neighborhood and you attend the games but aren't a student, are you a snob for wearing the sweatshirt.

We have Gator tees and sweatshirts here in Florida because we are fans of the University of Florida football team. We have no relatives that go there and we did not attend the school. Does that mean we are snobs too? :o

Yeah.

Have a great time on the Star, Dr. T. I'll be thinking about you jealously all fortnight. Wave at a penguin for me!

Ahhh... Another super nice person with obsessive and obscure interests!

Thanks, Dr. A.

Can't wait to get on the ship, but wishing you were tagging along. I may take a stab at a live from. Maybe not?:)

But what about football fans? If Harvard is in your neighborhood and you attend the games but aren't a student, are you a snob for wearing the sweatshirt.

We have Gator tees and sweatshirts here in Florida because we are fans of the University of Florida football team. We have no relatives that go there and we did not attend the school. Does that mean we are snobs too? :o

Nobody goes to a Harvard game for the game.

University of Florida? I hardly think being accused of snobbery is anything you need worry about. Unless it's by someone at Florida State . . .

Nobody goes to a Harvard game for the game.

University of Florida? I hardly think being accused of snobbery is anything you need worry about. Unless it's by someone at Florida State . . .

You are so right! I don't have to worry about being a snob. I have learned a lot about snobbery on this thread. Thanks:D

True!! Actually, "Doctor" is a college degree, not a job title. Most Doctors I know are physicians and surgeons. As well as a few ministers, and a couple of professors. And all I know, (with one exception) prefer to use simply their first name in social settings. (And I always call her by her first name....)

So, are you saying you shouldn't buy family and friends T shirts from places you've been to?

Some of these behaviours just wouldn't be seen as being snobbish in Australia. More like bogan. Or a show off. Show off's aren't necessarily snobs.

Snob to me means that for example, people wouldn't want to eat at the same table as someone they deemed inferior to them. Or expecting the staff to give them priority in serving them, even if others had lined up earlier. The Phd Who wanted people to call them a Dr in a non professional environment. That sort of thing.

I've learned, that everybody (54,000 views) loves a good snob story.:)

I nearly choked when I read your post...

i thought " what you talkin' about??...54,000 views".....then i went and looked...OMG! You are so right..

.its like being eavesdropping on a juicy conversation....you want to walk by ever....so....slowly so that you don't miss anything good! We probably have all run into people like those mentioned here so this is a great learning tool for sure. :)

Peter Graves called everyone Dr. didn't he?? :D
Surely, he did. To which the answer was "Stop calling me Shirley!"

Our 2nd best snob experience was the several couples at a table for 8 who always bragged that they got the "best" of everything; wines, liquors, etc. Then midway through the cruise they started bragging about the "best, most incredible deal" they got for their cabin (price), stating the dollar amount loudly for the benefit of us all, as it was "so great!".

My wife and I looked at each other, smiled, and never said a word. Then we started giggling, and I had to leave the dining room briefly for a full belly laugh. We had gotten our cabin (also a mid-ship's balcony) for one-third the price !!! We held it together until we got to our cabin after dinner, then literally rolled on the bed laughing at their "incredible deal"

Every other "best" claim thereafter for the rest of the cruise brought smiles to our faces, and additional giggles as we remembered how great their claims were.

I am enjoying reading this thread. I wanted to comment on the stories posted.

I was brought up in a upper middle class to upper class community and see people waste their money on nonsense items.

When I was growing up and even today I realize how fortunate I am to be able to travel and appreciate life. I could never fathom treating a waiter or waitress in a rude manner. If something is not right I bring it up in a nice way without being rude. For instance if the steak was overcooked I would politely say" This looks like a great meal however the steak is overcooked would you be as kind as to have the chef remake it medium or medium rare? I never got no for an answer.

On our last cruise we made good friends with our assistant waitress and head waiter. Our waiter made such good suggestions for dinner that we chose to eat in the MDR every evening. We got a table for two and enjoyed the service. Every night after the first we got our Arnold Palmers and were treated to good entrees and desserts. Now mind you I have stayed at nice hotels and resorts and know that by being nice you get better service.

When I travel I want to be remembered for being cordial and respectful of the workers. I know how hard the workers onboard work to make the cruise a memorable one. Treat them with respect and you will get the best service possible. Snobby people should get the bad service because they expect everything to go their way. So be it.

I hate people boasting about their Elite Status etc. I am well-traveled and am not going on a cruise to find out who has cruised more than me. I don't want to hear about your finances. And I don't want to listen to you complain about the poor service you are getting.

Just be polite and say please and thank you. If you have the waiter run around a lot for you be gracious.

I feel the snobby people are the ones who remove the tips because the trip did not live up to their expectations. Tip if you want prompt service sounds good to me.

I go to airline clubs throughout the world and run into snobs but don't start conversations with them for fear of getting into an argument. I feel bad for the bar tender and lounge attendant who has to put up with it.

Okay, I'm gonna delve in. For the most part I couldn't care less what the next guy is doing. I will get a little mouthy if someone is being overly rude. Who knew my black elite card was an issue :eek:.

We've all seen the snobs, but here's a personal one. It still annoys me and this was over 30 years ago. On our first cruise we took my brother's step son. He was around 11 at the time. We are sitting at the dinner table when he snapped his fingers to get the waiters attention. I'm floored. I said to him "what the H*LL!". He says, "well that's how my dad gets the attention of waiters. I tell him in no uncertain terms that first - your dad is a jerk. He should never ever treat people that way. I then go on to explain to him that he is a CHILD who should never ever treat an adult with such contempt. I'm sure my lecture went on because I was so amazed that a child would act so rudely to an adult. I can tell you, if I was that waiter I would have slapped him silly. I will say, after my lengthy lecture the kid did act better.

Like others have said, snobs have their own issues. I've found that there are ways to get around them. Quick thinking helps (but not always available). I love the "dog food" comment.

She made a statement saying the food on the ship was like dog food.

I seized the opportunity and told her that I would have to defer to her expertise because I had never eaten dog food.

It was amazing how quiet she was for the rest of the meal !!!!

Do you know how difficult it is to get Coca-Cola off a monitor screen and out of a keyboard? :D

My contribution to the thread:

This occurred on the Norway - darn, I miss that ship.

A person using a scooter demanded (not asked, demanded!) that people leave an already packed elevator so they could board it. I happened to be at the front of the crowd, so I asked the person if they needed to go up or down. I don't recall their response, but I quickly replied "Oh gee, sorry - this elevator's going aft."

The person nodded and backed the scooter away slightly, and the elevator doors closed - just as the light of realization hit the person's face... :D

Grey

Archived