TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! (it would be awesome!)

Walt Disney World just rolled out this amazing new MyMagic+ idea, and it would be really awesome if Royal Carribbean picked it up!

What is it?

A rubber waterproof braclet you wear that has a RFID chip in it. It is connected to an online account that is activated anytime you place the band against a RFID reader.

What does it do?

It can act as your room key, it can be connected to your credit card info, save photos immidietly after a crew member takes one, saves dining reservation, and the capability of much much more.

What does this mean?

You no longer would need to carry around a room key! Everything is right on your wrist! (I go through 3 or 4 of them in a week because i like to keep them in my magnetic wallet!)

Here is the info about MyMagic+ bands:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus.htm

Interesting concept, but I wonder why you came to the RCCI thread with MUCH excitement, as a two time poster, to talk about a new Disney program? Are you in sales? And know how much of an impact Cruise Critic members can have on getting the word out on a particular issue? Just wondering....

Interesting concept, but I wonder why you came to the RCCI thread with MUCH excitement, as a two time poster, to talk about a new Disney program? Are you in sales? And know how much of an impact Cruise Critic members can have on getting the word out on a particular issue? Just wondering....

Haha, noo. I am just a teenager who really likes Disney World and cruising! Sorry, I lovvvee cruising. My first cruise was on a Disney Cruise ship, and i had an okay time. Then we went on a Carnival, and also had a good time. Then we choose Royal Caribbean and we all feel in love! We have been on three Royal cruises and will be on Oasis during the first week of April!!! I just felt like showing how this would take my favorite cruise line to the next level in technololgy, like it will with Disney. I actually hadn't thought of how Disney will most likely implement this on thier ships. It will be interesting to read cruisecritic reviews when they do!

Oh, and enjoy your cruise tommorow!

Edited by hcps-osullivax

But did you read the $1 million start up on this progranm. Do not think it is cost effective. I would wear it because I wear a medical alert braclet already but would every one wear one everyday of the week?

No, I agree, it's not cost effective, but it is still really cool. Think about it, everything at the touch of your wrist!

• 11 months later...

The wristband is only the beginning. Disney will eventually sell princess wands and pirate swords that will have the RFID Ticket/Key/Dining/Credit card everything in it. The people complaining about tan lines are hilarious.

I'm sure we'll see RCCL go RFID sooner rather than later but it will probably stay as a card and not a band or something else. I mean, the Coke Freestyle cups are already RFID!

Interesting concept, but I wonder why you came to the RCCI thread with MUCH excitement, as a two time poster, to talk about a new Disney program?

Because they found it interesting/exciting and wanted to expose more people to it. I don't automatically think of a new poster as a sales person. Nor do I think these message boards should be only echo chambers. Other cruise lines do unique things that could enhance the RCI experience. Why NOT discuss them?

I don't see how this could be a bad idea. I have already used hotel room keys with this. I have used a wristband for lockers. The idea is that you have an easy way of bringing your card with you, while you are swimming, etc. RCCL already has RFID chips in the room keys. Something like this could be rolled out on each new ship.

RCCL already has RFID chips in the room keys. Something like this could be rolled out on each new ship.

Are you positive about that? I didn't see any part of the card that would indicate it has an RFID chip in it. If it did why do we need to still swipe and/or why can they not locate missing PAX faster?

The Oasis class boats already have the ability to track RFID over WIFI per this article.

Can't see these replacing the cards (for everyone), especially since the cards are used as ID when returning from port. Plus lets be honest, some people will never change/hate change regardless of what you do/what it gives them.

The Disney system is great (tested it last October), but they wouldn't spent that money without the expectation of getting something out of it. The ability to track movement throughout the park in real time has to be a big plus for park capacity planning. Plus the wristband is physically attached to you, so maybe they will lose less of them than they did cards.

We just came back from Disney World and DH and I both wore our Magic Bands all week. They actually worked pretty well; to charge something to your account, you had to key in a self-selected PIN -- no surprise charges!

We would always wear our WDW key cards on lanyards (like we do on cruises); this was kind of a refreshing change. Of course, you can buy all sorts of accessories and covers for the bands in all the Disney shops. Any way to make a little extra $$ ;)

Walt Disney World just rolled out this amazing new MyMagic+ idea, and it would be really awesome if Royal Carribbean picked it up!

What is it?

A rubber waterproof braclet you wear that has a RFID chip in it. It is connected to an online account that is activated anytime you place the band against a RFID reader.

What does it do?

It can act as your room key, it can be connected to your credit card info, save photos immidietly after a crew member takes one, saves dining reservation, and the capability of much much more.

What does this mean?

You no longer would need to carry around a room key! Everything is right on your wrist! (I go through 3 or 4 of them in a week because i like to keep them in my magnetic wallet!)

Here is the info about MyMagic+ bands:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus.htm

Happy with the SeaPass card as it is, would not want to wear something else around my wrist...K.O....

It's a great idea BUT the worst thing about AI's is that wristband and really bad tan lines :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA I'd probably wear it for the tan line. You should see me halfway through summer. I ride a bicycle a lot and never take off my watch. The lines I develop...in sheer number are mind blowing.

The on topic portion of this post:

I'm leery and distrustful of RFID. You should see what happened the time Mythbusters attempted to do something with it.

I stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge (indoor watermark) and they had wristbands that opened your door. It was nice to be able to go to the waterpark and only take a towel. You didn't have to worry about losing it, dropping it, whatever. Not sure if I would like to wear it the whole cruise however it would deal with lost keys in port (my dad lost mine when I was in my teens and my parents didn't trust me to keep my own!), lost keys in general and is nice when you go on an excursion where you don't want to bring much (or anything). As long as I could take it off if I wanted to (formal pictures) I wouldn't mind!