Ok, give it to me - how bad is a pullman bed?

Hello! So I am bunking with my parents for this family cruise :D The room is an ocean view window room with a queen bed and 2 pullman beds. I'm getting the pullman but I'm kind of fuzzy on what it is. Is it totally uncomfortable? Does anyone maybe have a picture of one made up? Thank you!

Hello! So I am bunking with my parents for this family cruise :D The room is an ocean view window room with a queen bed and 2 pullman beds. I'm getting the pullman but I'm kind of fuzzy on what it is. Is it totally uncomfortable? Does anyone maybe have a picture of one made up? Thank you!

I have very good news for you. The pullman bed lives in the ceiling by day and is cranked down by the stateroom attendant for sleeping. It is like sleeping in an upper bunk bed and accessed by a 3 rung ladder. According to our daughter it is far more comfortable than a sleeper sofa. She was in a pullman for a 12 day Med. cruise and said it was just fine.

I have very good news for you. The pullman bed lives in the ceiling by day and is cranked down by the stateroom attendant for sleeping. It is like sleeping in an upper bunk bed and accessed by a 3 rung ladder. According to our daughter it is far more comfortable than a sleeper sofa. She was in a pullman for a 12 day Med. cruise and said it was just fine.

Agreed! Very comfortable, and so nice to just be put away!

I agree that it is much more comfortable than the sofa bed. I slept in one last year when I cruised with my Mom and sister. I am in my early forties and in decent shape. I was supposed to swap beds with my sister mid-cruise. Well....I ended up there all week, not by choice......but that is another story.

However, it is a royal pain to get up to use the bathroom. You have to be completely awake to avoid falling off the ladder. I found the Pullman to be much more firm than the lower beds, not my preference. I like my bed a little softer. The linens were the same as the lower beds. There is no night stand. I took a dollar-store hanging organizer to stow my things: book, travel clock, lip balm, etc. I used a command hook to hang it. There is a nice little reading light that is very useful.

I was really tired of that Pullman by the end of the week. However, it could be related to my annoyance with my sister not living up to our agreement. She also hogged the bathroom which resulted in me using the gym showers for most of my showers. Those showers are really nice, by the way. There were obviously some family dynamics which, admittedly, may have altered my experience.

Despite all of this, I would rather sleep in a Pullman than NOT cruise. It isn't too bad, just not ideal unless you are a teenager or a kid.

My 17 year old says the pullman beats the sofa bed 100 times over!! He had a bad experience on a sofa bed in a Jr Suite on the Liberty. His back was killing him (the bar was sticking through) so bad he was taking anti-inflammatory tabs. However, on the Oasis, we had a cabin for 4 even though there were only 3 of us. He RAVED about how much better the pullman was.

:D

Thanks for posting this question! We will have a Pullman for my 8yo on our Spring break cruise. We picked that b/c she alway refuses to sleep on sofa beds in hotel rooms.

Khm1 how did you manage unpacking with 3 women in a cabin?

Thanks

sounds good long as you arent 6ft2 and 240-250lbs lol

doesnt look like much room up in the ceiling

For the sleep sofa's...if you are not that tall and sleeping one person on a pullout, pull it out, stuff the head and end gaps with pillows, and sleep as if it was a couch. Much better than that stupid bar in your back!

Thanks for posting this question! We will have a Pullman for my 8yo on our Spring break cruise. We picked that b/c she alway refuses to sleep on sofa beds in hotel rooms.

Khm1 how did you manage unpacking with 3 women in a cabin?

Thanks

We split up the drawers evenly. I took a shelf-type dollar store hanging shoe organizer. I had my stuff in packing cubes, in the hanging organizer, in the closet. we asked for extra hangers from the cabin steward. I also took a shoe organizer (pocket type) for the bathroom door. Space for unpacking was not an issue. SHARING the space (beds, bathroom time) was, however, an issue. LOL!

Your 8 year old will love the Pullman. My kids always fight over it!

Thank you for the pic! We said on the Freedom later this month and my 21yr old daughter, 5ft 10" will have the pullman. My fears are starting to ease ... was there indeed a reading light (I didn't see it in photo); thinking I could take something along so she can read.

Thanks for all the replies! It's great to know there is a reading light and also that it's comfy! The idea of a hanging storage thing is great and I'll be sure to do that! Also thanks for the pic!!

Oh, and I'm 5'0" and about 120 so I'll fit ok lol

Quite well in fact. I am a man 6' and 185 (depending on cruise cycles) and have slept in them twice (as the particular night and children's situations dictated) and found it to be very strudy and comfortable. Much more so IMO than the sofa bed.

We split up the drawers evenly. I took a shelf-type dollar store hanging shoe organizer. I had my stuff in packing cubes, in the hanging organizer, in the closet. we asked for extra hangers from the cabin steward. I also took a shoe organizer (pocket type) for the bathroom door. Space for unpacking was not an issue. SHARING the space (beds, bathroom time) was, however, an issue. LOL!

Your 8 year old will love the Pullman. My kids always fight over it!

I've never used packing cubes, but have been thinking about getting them. Was this the first time you had used them? What did you think? Do they really allow you to pack more in your luggage?

Our GS (teenager) loved it when we took him on FOS this summer:)

I officially qualify for the senior discount now :o, but have been the one to end up in the pullman on several cruises. I guess my excuses have to get better because my travel companions always seem to have a reason they can't go up.

As far as the bed, I find it every bit as comfortable as the low beds. It was already mentioned, the ladder is probably the worse part. Somehow my feet have to get accustomed to it every morning, as the 1st step is always a bit painful.

The bed under the pullman is my least favorite position. Most people are too tall to sit up on the bed when the bunk is down. Of course, my sympathy is low when my travel companion with the excuses knocks herself in the head :rolleyes:.

I've never used packing cubes, but have been thinking about getting them. Was this the first time you had used them? What did you think? Do they really allow you to pack more in your luggage?

No, I have used them for a few years. I find that they make my suitcase more organized. Also, if your bag is opened by TSA, it makes for an easier search and helps keep your clothing from being directly handled. I don't know if they allow for more space, but it sure makes for easy unpacking. I bought mine on ebags dot com. I buy their own brand. They also make a great toiletry organizer. The packing cubes are made of nylon and mesh with a zipper closure. They come in several sizes. I use one for underwear, one for swim suits, etc.

I officially qualify for the senior discount now :o, but have been the one to end up in the pullman on several cruises. I guess my excuses have to get better because my travel companions always seem to have a reason they can't go up.

As far as the bed, I find it every bit as comfortable as the low beds. It was already mentioned, the ladder is probably the worse part. Somehow my feet have to get accustomed to it every morning, as the 1st step is always a bit painful.

The bed under the pullman is my least favorite position. Most people are too tall to sit up on the bed when the bunk is down. Of course, my sympathy is low when my travel companion with the excuses knocks herself in the head :rolleyes:.

Too funny! Yeah, I found out about the excuses too! Sadly, no one bumped their head on my bed. I probably would not had much sympathy either. I agree about that first step on the ladder.

My Pullman was over the couch. I think that arrangement allows for an easier flow to the cabin. Our cabin was a D-1.

Archived