Would This Work for bringing alcohol on board?

I was thinking to take my Starbucks travel mug and then stuff it with mini bottles of liquor and put the cover on and put it in my suitcase or carryon. Who would think to open my coffee mug to see whats inside? I have never been asked to open the coffee mug as long as there are no liquids inside who would bother?

This way I could have brandy and coffee or just plain brandy or gin etc. Whats your take?

Why not sail on Disney instead, I beleive that you can bring liquor on their ships.

:) Do you take booze with you to save money when you go on a driving vacation?:)

Here is what I would try.

Go to you local vineyard with a bottle of booze and $20. Ask them for an empty bottle and cork (red wine bottles work best). Have them cork, label, and seal the bottle for you.

Carry aboard.

So, you are saying that there are wineries that would put their label on a bottle that does not contain their product? I have my doubt.

Maybe if cocktails weren't 2 to 3 times the cost of what you'd pay at a bar there wouldn't be the need to circumvent the system.

If Royal Caribbean would sell liquor for the cabin like Carnival does it would eliminate about 50% of the alcohol smugglers. I have always bought a liter or two of my favorites for the cruise for the cabin. I bring a large insulated mug and some diet coke and mix my drink for hanging by the pool. I make a nice strong drink. The bottles in the rooms are about 2 1/2 times what they cost in a liquor store, but they are convenient and the cruise line makes plenty off of the sale. I also buy drinks in the bars, not as many but still some. There are lots of ways to smuggle, I have in the past and likely will again. The line sells wine at a high markup for the room but not alcohol. They are loosing out on cash by not doing so.

If Royal Caribbean would sell liquor for the cabin like Carnival does it would eliminate about 50% of the alcohol smugglers. I have always bought a liter or two of my favorites for the cruise for the cabin. I bring a large insulated mug and some diet coke and mix my drink for hanging by the pool. I make a nice strong drink. The bottles in the rooms are about 2 1/2 times what they cost in a liquor store, but they are convenient and the cruise line makes plenty off of the sale. I also buy drinks in the bars, not as many but still some. There are lots of ways to smuggle, I have in the past and likely will again. The line sells wine at a high markup for the room but not alcohol. They are loosing out on cash by not doing so.

Can't you order drinks from room service?

[quote=WhansaMi;36767355

Just a thought: one day the cruise lines might start cross referencing the posts on here... posts and roll calls. Then they might have a little more guidance on whose bags to look a little more closely at.

Yeah because cruise lines have access to real names cross referenced to screen names.

Here's an idea: Why don't you just pay for your drinks!

Mostly because many people on cruises drink more there than at home and many have larger bar bills than what their cruise cost. At $8 - $13 a drink it adds up quick. An "all exclusive" drink package runs in the hundreds of dollars, with the cruise line knowing that most people that buy the package will drink as much off the ship in ports than on the ship at their bars. If they had a daily drink package and not a weekly package more people would buy them and they would make as much or even more money than they currently do. I will probably smuggle on my next cruise, but would not if they would sell bottles for the room or daily packages, even at their ridiculous marked up prices.

But, if anyone needs a less philosophical reason, people breaking this particular rule drives up the cost of cruises. Pricing is based on revenue. Each dollar that is "saved" by people who do this is passed along to the consumer.

All you write is very correct. And if RCCL would look at other lines, like Carnival that sell alcohol for the cabin and do the same they wouldn't have to be so concerned about smuggling. I do smuggle or at least have in the past. Having the two bottles of wine in the cabin helps but they should allow you to replenish those at each port if wanted. They should have daily drink packages and not weekly packages. I have heard and don't know for a fact that if you buy a drink package whomever is in your cabin has to as well. If that is true that is a stupid rule and only encourages people to smuggle.

I am very happy that you follow all rules in life and because you booked the cruise you agreed to abide by the rules, I choose not to, but would if they would make rules that made sense.

[quote=WhansaMi;36778077

I can't figure out a way to say "I believe that you are doing is wrong", without coming across as "scolding", so I guess I will just have to live with it.

I really don't understand why you would find it necessary to have the need to "expand" a question of how a person could smuggle alcohol on board into a "you shouldn't do it" thread. The easiest and more appropriate response would have been none at all, unless you had an opinion of whether the idea was good or bad. Not whether the OP should or should not do it. I don't understand your need to correct others morality on a forum like this. If someone was doing something directly to you or someone around you that would be an acceptable response but to tell someone on a forum that what they are doing is morally improper, which I don't think morality has anything to do with it, I feel that inconvenience is the issue not morality.

Agree 100% - turn them back at the pier, no refund on their cruise fare and keep their liquor. I am in the process of becoming a shareholder in RC. As an 'owner', albeit a small one, I think that taking a stand on this issue will be of long term benefit. The smugglers, who almost universally claim it's not because they are cheap, will then need to decide if they really want to take a risk in order to get their kicks from breaking the rules they agreed to abide by.

Do that a time or two and you will see your stock sink. People will not travel on a cruise line that will do that. There are other choices. I can assure you they would loose me and I am not in the minority of cruisers. If I smuggle and get caught I go to the "naughty room" and go about my business. A cat and mouse game, but when they make a cat and out game that is exactly where I would be, out.

Why not sail on Disney instead, I beleive that you can bring liquor on their ships.

:) Do you take booze with you to save money when you go on a driving vacation?:)

No I don't, but I do take some of the small bottles of alcohol to have a drink in my room without having to go to a bar, which the hotel may or may not have. It ain't the money as much as it is the convenience.

No I don't, but I do take some of the small bottles of alcohol to have a drink in my room without having to go to a bar, which the hotel may or may not have. It ain't the money as much as it is the convenience.

We do the same thing. We enjoy having drinks in our room!

I have heard and don't know for a fact that if you buy a drink package whomever is in your cabin has to as well. If that is true that is a stupid rule and only encourages people to smuggle.

Just to clarify; that policy applies on Carnival. It does not apply on RCI.

Really - I think the drink prices are quite reasonable compared to bars and restaurants on land.

Not sure where you live but where I live I don't know of a single bar that charges $8 - 9 for a rum and coke.

You're looking at about €7.50 - €8.00 for a rum / whiskey / gin & mixer here so with the current exchange rate, count yourself lucky.

These questions always make me laugh.

How about stop being so cheap and just enjoy yourself without thinking about scheming ways to bring a minuscule amount of liquor onboard

I mean it's like flashbacks of the highschool prom trying to smuggle liquor in.

All you write is very correct. And if RCCL would look at other lines, like Carnival that sell alcohol for the cabin and do the same they wouldn't have to be so concerned about smuggling.

No, they would just have to worry about underage guests having uncontrolled access to liquor and all of the attendant problems that such a situation can bring. You seriously overlook the liability issues involved when the line gives up control over passengers (underage or not) use of alcohol. As far as the prices that they charge, they are no higher than you will find in most large, or even medium-sized, city restaurants, bars, or hotels. Unless you spend your time drinking in service club bars, you will pay as much or more than $8 or $9 for a rum and coke.

LMaxwell you are I correct. If one person in the cabin buys drink package on RCI then everyone in cabin must.

Sorry about that. Should have proofread. Lax well you are incorrect ......

Actually they are correct, the rules just changed in late 2013. Just one in the cabin can purchase the package which there are now multiple varieties of. All do not have to purchase anymore.

As for the prices of drinks, I was in Vegas last weekend. I think cheapest drink at a bar was $10, with the most outrageous being $15.85 for a glass of wine, house for that matter! Another here who thinks the prices onboard are reasonable.

These questions always make me laugh.

How about stop being so cheap and just enjoy yourself without thinking about scheming ways to bring a minuscule amount of liquor onboard

I mean it's like flashbacks of the highschool prom trying to smuggle liquor in.

Exactly!!! Save money and purchase the package

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The do gooder booze police are out.

Yes, we smuggle on every cruise. Why? We like to have a cocktail while dressing for dinner. We spend plenty of $$ drinking at all of the bars onboard, it is a convenience thing for us, not to try and save money.

You don't lke it?

Tough, get over it.

Do you only drive 60 in a 60 mph zone? I didn't think so

We have always gotten through with the rum runners in the past for the same reason. We like to spend some private time in our cabin and have a drink or two. This trip we will do the package so no smuggling. The reason the cruise lines don't want you to bring it onboard is because of the bottom dollar. If everyone brought it on they would sell less. If they were afraid of people drinking too much they wouldn't sell the all inclusive packages.