walkie talkies on ship

curleyaa

No, I have decided no walkie talkies on the ship, for me. There was life before walkie talkies.

That meant the people had to decide and agree on how often, when and where they wanted to connect up IN PERSON. Seems like a reasonable thing, right? People travelling together have to show their faces to each other now and then, maybe even roughly on schedule. Just my thought.

A little reading and research here would show you walkie talkies work inconsistently on ships, but have a very high irritation of fellow passengers rate. There are MANY threads about this, with a lot of good info, and reasons why you really don't need to be in touch 24/7. There is a lot of good suggestions on how to maintain good communication without walkie talkies.

Most seasoned cruisers know that post it notes left on a mirror or door, planning ahead, watches, and, in general, talking to each other face to face will suffice. Honestly, if you use them, know that you will be annoying a lot of folks around you. They are disruptive and not needed.Please don't take them in consideration of fellow cruisers who want peace on their vacations.

Readily available FRS radios operate on a limited amount of channels. I once witnised a huge fight on the air over two families on the same channel. "Get off my channel, this is for the Jones family - no you get off as this is reserved for the Smith family" Although I was only at the Smith end of things the volume was loud enough for several of us within 20 feet to hear the entire 20 minute exchange including the Jones end saying the matter would be refered to the ships Captain. Do us all a favour and leave them at home. Post it notes work just fine as do pre arranged meeting times. Unless the other end of your conversation is above deck the amount of steel and electronic interferance from the ships systems will block out the signal between the two of you anyway.

I personally have not ever been bothered by other passengers using them, maybe I'm lucky. But we have been cruising with our now adult kids since they were six years old and just never found a need to be that attached on the ship. While the ship seems huge at first, you will find that it's not that big because everyone tends to find a nitch locations where they can be found. I think you will be surprised how often your family will see each other even when you aren't trying. Also, a little independence goes a long way for both parents and kids enjoying a cruise that much more.

Burt

It's truly not as hard to find the rest of group as you are thinking. Most of the ship is taken up with cabins...you won't be in every single hallway...only yours! You will all gravitate to the same public spaces over and over...and making tentative plans daily will let you know where everyone is likely to be. Walkie-talkies really aren't needed...and no one will want to lug them around anyway!

I find this topic amusing... I remember when "mobile phones" were in briefcase sized bags... And the progression from "Emergency Use" to cell phones being a must have... And the period about 12 years ago when 2-ways were "in style"... now, with all the iPhones and what not, technological regression from cells to 2-ways is pretty funny!

I was recently on DCL and they provide "wave phones" for keeping in touch. My daughter carried one when one of the kids was in the nursery or kids club otherwise we didn't use them. Unless you have some situation where you MUST be able to communicate, I agree with the others -- don't bother with walkie-talkies.

Many who have tried them state they where a waste of time and money because the people in their party got tired of carrying them and how much interference from others with walkie talkies occupied their channels. Reference the post about the Jones' and the Smith's.

Many who have tried them state they where a waste of time and money because the people in their party got tired of carrying them and how much interference from others with walkie talkies occupied their channels. Reference the post about the Jones' and the Smith's.

Yes, they're cheap to buy now days. Yes, the place we're parking offers them to rent at $3 a day. Yes, they're so dang annoying when you're next to somebody using one, screaming into it, and you subsequently learn when they are eating, who's not happy, and how many bowel movements they've had today. With that said, just save yourself the time, embarrassment, and hassle, and just pack some Post-It's and a Sharpie or two. Notes were a WONDERFUL idea that's almost long lost and forgotten.

...there was one time a walkie-talkie helped our group. First, we'd never use radios when on a ship. Completey agree with everyone...it is often useless, annoying to other passengers, cumbersome to carry around, not to mention you have to recharge them constantly....that said.

On a shore excursion in Spain, our guide told everyone to be back a certain time. Two passengers failed to return and we waited. The guide decided we should make an attempt to locate the missing passengers and requested for help. To make an extremely long story short...we just happend to have our walkie-talkies and handed one of them to our guide. During our search, we were able to stay in contact with each other and ultimately found the missing (scared and relieved) passengers. At the end of the tour, the guide thanked us for having the radios.

Archived