LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Very true, but it seems a bit pretentious to complain about it, so I don't. ;)

DH, OTOH, says, ad nauseum, that he never cares to see The Office, Modern Family, Love Boat, the Royal Princess or Ray Calouri again in this lifetime.

I could handle Modern Family, perhaps, but not the episodes we've seen 137 times this winter.

I dunno, Rai's kind of a hottie. And, god knows I get more emails from him than from my current beau. Plus, I swear he's winking at me in those Royal videos.

Extended exposure to The Office, on the other hand, might cause me to steal a lifeboat and row toward land . . .

Pia, thanks for another "live" trip. I always follow you on your cruises when I see you posting.

One little tip that you may already know about, but it has been shown that chocolate will help relieve a cough effectively. I found out about it from an AARP bulletin (I think), and have used it successfully for several years. In fact, those Princess nightly chocolates work great!. The slowly melting chocolate soothes your throat going down, and the chemicals in the chocolate suppress the cough reflex. Here's a recent link that talks about it:

http://now.msn.com/chocolate-effective-in-treating-persitent-coughs

I hope this helps with your cough. I know it works for me.

Howard

In the movie Harry Potter, they always gave them chocolate at Hogwarts when they were not feeling well. Just goes to prove, they knew the secret. Give me chocolate anytime.

Good Morning. It’s Tuesday, it’s overcast and it’s cold. I don’t know the exact temperature nor do I really care to know. It would just make me feel colder. Seas are extremely rough; heavy waves and wind. Having been here twice previously, I feel bad for those passengers who were anticipating, for some, a once in a lifetime visit to the Falklands. We love this little town, and were looking forward to exploring it again.

Last night we attended Dan Riley’s second show; lots of fun. He’s a great entertainer. We were also surprised that the Patter, that had to be almost entirely redone, was delivered shortly after 9 PM.

So what are they offering on this unexpected sea day?

1. Destination lecture on Ushuaia

2. Lecture: The Last Tsar of Russia; was the Romanov Dynasty doomed? Who really killed Rasputin?

3. Spelling Bee Heat #2. It’s do or die for me.

4. Movie in the theater: Argo

5. Another Spanish class (they started from the beginning on this leg)

Of course there are assorted dance classes, health seminars, sales, etc.

Evening entertainment consists of the movie Lincoln in Vista and a pianist Chris Contillo in the theater. For the Eskimos, there is Snow White and the Huntsman on MUTS. Since we’ve seen Lincoln and don’t usually attend piano renditions, tonight we will just wing it. Need to check the TV guide.

Re: chocolate. It makes me cough more Rough night. I sound like a barking dog. Dry cough. YUK. Don't have the strength to go to the gym. But I'm hungry. Go figure. :D

Later.

Am I wrong but don't think any Princess ship has made it in this season except our cruise on the SF to Buenos Aires Dec- January.

I know the weather was bad but we still were able to tender .

The following Star Princess cruises after ours have not made it.

I am wondering if part of this is the political issue. We were warned at beginning of our cruise we maybe wouldn't be let into Argentina because we were stopping in Faulklands. We were so lucky that we made all of our ports.

Feel sorry for those on board the Grand that were looking forward to Patrick's tour to Volunteer point, or the Princess Bluff cove trip.

We did the Bluff cove and it was indeed a highlight of our cruise.

If safety is indeed the issue, glad the Captain made the call on not stopping.The town itself is really nothing(Stanley), but interesting to see such a British life, so far from Great Britain.

Our time seeing the King and Gentoo Penguins in their natural habitat was unbelievable.

I don't know about the other trips but we were on the Star on February 4 at the Falklands and had hurricane force winds. NO way could we have tendered in. Probably couldn't even have docked if they had one.

Marilu

Jan 30th Cape Horn Cruise

Pia, thanks for another "live" trip. I always follow you on your cruises when I see you posting.

One little tip that you may already know about, but it has been shown that chocolate will help relieve a cough effectively. I found out about it from an AARP bulletin (I think), and have used it successfully for several years. In fact, those Princess nightly chocolates work great!. The slowly melting chocolate soothes your throat going down, and the chemicals in the chocolate suppress the cough reflex. Here's a recent link that talks about it:

http://now.msn.com/chocolate-effective-in-treating-persitent-coughs

I hope this helps with your cough. I know it works for me.

Howard

Hi

I am a Chocolatier and the article says to eat 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate which would be very bitter. 2 ounces is a piece of chocolate 2 inches by 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick. Because there is no dairy in bittersweet chocolate it may not make you cough. You need to eat 16 oz of milk chocolate to get the same effect as 2 oz of bittersweet. But, when we drink milk and have a cold it usually makes more mucus and cause us to cough. This may help explain why chocolate effects us when we have a cold.

Have a sweet day everyone.

I am enjoying this live post, thank you for your dedication.

Sweet Regards

Carol

"Spelling Bee Heat #2. It’s do or die for me."

Hope you made the cut, Pia.

Have you seen the musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, where one of the children spells the letters out with his foot (Magic Foot), before answering?

http://www.spellingbeethemusical.com/

Because I have been following your blog, I knew that you were not going to the Falklands.

Today the Princess Facebook Page features a photo of penguins with the following caption: Passengers on Grand Princess have the chance to see unique species of penguins in Stanley, Falkland Islands.

Sorry to hear you missed the port.

Same day; still very cold. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. We couldn’t go near HC for breakfast this morning. It was like an igloo up there. So went to DR and hated every minute of it. Good thing I brought my own hot coffee, since theirs wasn’t. At lunch we four found a corner in the back and did OK. Shortly thereafter the ship got HOT! Don’t know what they did, but all of a sudden people started shedding their layers. Pretty funny.

I did not make it to the spelling bee finals; lost again by one. Tonight will try my luck with the “yes and no” game, but need to first be selected to play.

Just heard that our deputy CD Bernie has been chosen to be deputy on the new Royal.

Nothing else to report. See you tomorrow.

P.S. Feeling much better and seas have calmed down and feeding the cold must have worked.

Joe: It hurts, but not too much

Glad to hear you are feeling better Pia. We have friends on your cruise and I know they will have been disappointed in missing the Falklands, but that goes with cruising doesn't it. The Grand has seen a lot of bad weather since she was launched and she carries on regardless. Keep on keeping the nasty germ at bay. Enjoy the Horn. regards Lorri.

Pia,

So what is Bernie like? Will he be a good fit with Ron? I'm asking these questions, yet our sailing on the Royal at the end of September may be with a different CD & deputy. Am hoping that the 4 on ends at the END of our cruise, not the beginning.

Glad you are starting to feel somewhat better and that the seas have calmed down. That can't have been a good combination.

Thanks for taking the time (and minutes) to post these updates. Loving them.

Ann

Because I have been following your blog, I knew that you were not going to the Falklands.

Today the Princess Facebook Page features a photo of penguins with the following caption: Passengers on Grand Princess have the chance to see unique species of penguins in Stanley, Falkland Islands.

Sorry to hear you missed the port.

I noticed the FB entry early this morning when checking phone for weather, email, etc. Some people commented that the Grand will not be there.

And am I the only person who hasn't received the latest issue of the CCQ?

I noticed the FB entry early this morning when checking phone for weather' date=' email, etc. Some people commented that the Grand will not be there.

And am I the only person who hasn't received the latest issue of the CCQ?[/quote']

Patty, what is CCQ?

If the Captain's Circle Magazine, my issue arrived today.

Dear Pia,

Who is the current captain? My Cruise Personalizer says that my sailing on the 16 from SF to Hawaii, is Justin Lawes. I called customer service and was told that Capitan Harriot will be the captain. I don't know what to believe? I know it is not "that important" who the Captain is, but my curiosity is killing me. Any insight will be appreciated! thanks, paul.

Pia,

So what is Bernie like? Will he be a good fit with Ron? I'm asking these questions, yet our sailing on the Royal at the end of September may be with a different CD & deputy. Am hoping that the 4 on ends at the END of our cruise, not the beginning.

Glad you are starting to feel somewhat better and that the seas have calmed down. That can't have been a good combination.

Thanks for taking the time (and minutes) to post these updates. Loving them.

Ann

Bernie is young, vivacious and speaks with an accent as she is from Chile. She teaches Zumba and is very personable to the passengers.

Two of us haven't received our copies yet either.

On ****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=grand+princess today, a satellite photo of the Grand is shown docked at the Falkland Islands, as well as stating she left there eight hours ago! ....go figure :cool:

I echo everyone's thanks to you, Pia, for your Live reports. We have friends onboard for the full 49 with you and feel as though we are there also. Well, sort of :).

PS: Sorry, have tried numerous ways to get the website to show, to no avail. Keeps showing asterisks :p.

Who is the current captain?

From the very first post on this thread

Here’s some of the important stuff:

Captain: Anthony Herriott

Hotel Manager Andreas Pitsch

Food & Beverage: Riccardo Capraro

Customer Service: Trent Denovan

Maitre d’ Francesco Ciorfito

Cruise Director: Sammi Baker

Circle Hostess: Dawn Harrison

Two of us haven't received our copies yet either.

On ****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=grand+princess today, a satellite photo of the Grand is shown docked at the Falkland Islands, as well as stating she left there eight hours ago! ....go figure :cool:

I echo everyone's thanks to you, Pia, for your Live reports. We have friends onboard for the full 49 with you and feel as though we are there also. Well, sort of :).

PS: Sorry, have tried numerous ways to get the website to show, to no avail. Keeps showing asterisks :p.

That will be blocked as it from an agent. However on that site, all positions of ships are scheduled positions and are fed into the computer well before the cruise. It does not show actual position and can not cope with any cahnge to the scheduled itinerary.

Dear Pia,

Who is the current captain? My Cruise Personalizer says that my sailing on the 16 from SF to Hawaii, is Justin Lawes. I called customer service and was told that Capitan Harriot will be the captain. I don't know what to believe? I know it is not "that important" who the Captain is, but my curiosity is killing me. Any insight will be appreciated! thanks, paul.

This is the second time you've asked, but here's the thing: just because someone is the captain or cruise director or any other crew member on one sailing, it doesn't mean that next month they'll be on the same ship. So I really don't understand why this seems to be something to keep asking about. Sorry, but you'll find out when you get that email from the captain introducing himself (even though it's probably a stock email).

For example, the cruise director on the Grand right now was our cruise director over the holidays on the Golden. And it seems like in a space of just a few months, there were three different CDs.

UPDATE

Unfortunately we will be missing the Falklands. Capt. made announcement about an hour ago. Weather conditions will not allow it. I already heard one man say "if he was a good captain we would be going." There are "geniuses" everywhere. :rolleyes:

Goodnite and sorry for the bad news.

Bad luck re the Falklands, the Argies will be happy ! I hope we get to Stanley on F.I. next year, but I know the weather down there prevails.

Thanks again for the great 'lives' from Grand Princess. Enjoy the rest of the adventure.

Archived