Does your Passport get stamped for each port you stop in?

Angiet75

It depends where you're going, but likely not. If you are staying within countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement (Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta and others) the answer is absolutely not.

If it's not required, such as in Schengen, carrying your passport is a personal choice. At least carry a copy with it, if not the full thing (the latter is better). Check each country, because some do have laws saying that you must have your passport on you.

Passports are not routinely stamped in European ports. Some sailings the ship keeps your passport, on others you keep it in your room safe. Carrying a colour copy on shore is a good idea, hopefully it will never be needed.

I think there is a way to get your passport stamped at each port if you so wish, via the Purser's office, but this may not apply to all lines or ports.

Passports are not routinely stamped in European ports. Some sailings the ship keeps your passport, on others you keep it in your room safe. Carrying a colour copy on shore is a good idea, hopefully it will never be needed.

I think there is a way to get your passport stamped at each port if you so wish, via the Purser's office, but this may not apply to all lines or ports.

If the trip is within Schengen (not sure since OP didn't give details), it is likely not possible at all. Picture entering the US in New York and requesting immigration stamps along the way in Cleveland, Chicago, Kansas City, Denver and San Francisco before exiting in Los Angeles. Since Chicago is under the same immigration system as New York, they won't stamp your passport. Likewise, Rome is under the same immigration system as Barcelona, Lisbon, Valletta and Athens.

That's how I've always understood it (and experienced it, though not on cruises).

Okay thank you all for the information.

Venice,

Croatia,Turkey, greece, Italy, France and Spain.

I was just curious. Great idea about a color copy I will do that for sure.

Kin of wnated them stamped as a souvenir type thing but I can live without it.

Okay thank you all for the information.

Venice,

Croatia,Turkey, greece, Italy, France and Spain.

I was just curious. Great idea about a color copy I will do that for sure.

Kin of wnated them stamped as a souvenir type thing but I can live without it.

Not sure how Turkey works. It's not Schengen. I've been to Turkey many times but never by ship so someone else might be able to tell you on that. Same with Croatia.

The other places, nope, no stamps. But you should get a stamp upon arrival and another on departure when going to and coming from Italy (or wherever your first Schengen entry port is by air).

I have seen threads which have suggested that it is possible to leave your passport with passenger services on some lines, who will arrange stamps. This would rely on there being good relations between the ships and the immigration departments, and wouldn't be official policy. Nice as it would be to get lots of stamps, I honestly think it would be a lot of hassle and probably not very successful.

And then there are the anomalies....our passports are stamped for Bali though we never got off the ship. It just depends on the countries you visit.

During our Eastern Mediterranean cruise, our passports were only stamped in Egypt, it was automatic. The cruise line held our passports for the duration of the trip. We also get stamped for the city of entry and exit (from and to US).

Likely, your passport will be stamped in Venice when you arrive, and Barcelona when you depart. Croatia and Turkey are not in the Schengen agreement, so you will be given back your passport to go ashore. EM

Not in my experience.

Arrived in Italy and got a stamp.

Boarded the ship and passport was collected.

Didn't see it again until we docked in Venice, where it was required that we carry it off before reboarding for the second week of our B2B. Discovered stamps from our stop in Sicily as well as Croatia and Montenegro in it.

Handed it back in later that day.

Didn't see it again until we docked in Athens. Found a second stamp for Croatia (different port).

Had it stamped at the airport as we flew out of Athens.

Our passports were not handed back to us before we got off in Croatia and Montenegro either week.

Eastern Med cruise, Oct. 2012. Entered the EU (cleared EU Customs) when we landed in Frankfurt, and had to produce our passports there. From there we went to Venice, where we boarded. The ship did not collect our passports, so we kept them in the safe. Our cruise took us to Croatia, Montenegro, Greece (several stops), and Turkey. No one asked us to produce our passports in any location. We did have them with us at some stops, but no one asked to see them.

So to be clear. The only time we had to produce our passports was when we landed in Frankfurt on our way in, and when we departed from Frankfurt on our way out. Oh yes, and they wanted to see them when we arrived back in Canada. So although we visited six countries, the only stamp we had on our passports was Germany.

Eastern Med cruise, Oct. 2012. Entered the EU (cleared EU Customs) when we landed in Frankfurt, and had to produce our passports there. From there we went to Venice, where we boarded. The ship did not collect our passports, so we kept them in the safe. Our cruise took us to Croatia, Montenegro, Greece (several stops), and Turkey. No one asked us to produce our passports in any location. We did have them with us at some stops, but no one asked to see them.

So to be clear. The only time we had to produce our passports was when we landed in Frankfurt on our way in, and when we departed from Frankfurt on our way out. Oh yes, and they wanted to see them when we arrived back in Canada. So although we visited six countries, the only stamp we had on our passports was Germany.

I think you're mistaking customs and immigration. There is one immigration (aka passport control) for much of Europe (Schengen Agreement), but not customs. Each country, in my knowledge, keeps their own customs. If you fly USA to Italy via Germany, you will clear Schengen Immigration in Germany, and customs (in this case Italian Customs) in Italy.

I only recounted our experience. Customs, Immigration, Agreements....whatever.

We traveled from Canada to Frankfurt in Oct 2012, and had to produce our passports to enter the EU at that point. We boarded our cruise in Venice, and were never asked to produce our passports at any destination on our cruise, which involved stops in in Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and Turkey. We had to produce our passports as we checked in to our international flight back to Canada, after the cruise.

I only recounted our experience. Customs, Immigration, Agreements....whatever.

I know, and I am just trying to clarify for people. "Customs" is often incorrectly used as the term for passport control, and knowing the difference between "customs" and "immigration/passport control" can make travel slightly easier, which is what I was going for.

• 9 months later...

We were able to get our passports stamped in Belize ( a little shack in the back of the market right before you leave the fenced in area). Also in Cozumel, (The 2nd floor of a building in town by the square. We asked a police officer and he told us) and also in Honduras. There is a little stand right in port and for a small donation to the school system, they will stamp it for you. We are heading to St. Marteen and Samana in January. Can anybody give me a heads up on where to get stamped there?:D

On our last Med cruise, no one looked at our passports when we arrived in Rome, guy just waved us through - no stamp. The cruise line held our passports. We did not need them at any port including Greece and Turkey.

On our Baltic cruise 6 years ago, the passports were stamped when we arrived in Frankfurt before transferring planes to fly to Copenhagen. We also needed passports to go ashore in St Petersburg, Russia, otherwise, no one looked at them.

The only other people interested in them were when we returned to Canada. So far, I've been lucky to go to several countries, but very few stamps in my passport - lots of empty pages.

Not in my experience.

Arrived in Italy and got a stamp.

Boarded the ship and passport was collected.

Didn't see it again until we docked in Venice, where it was required that we carry it off before reboarding for the second week of our B2B. Discovered stamps from our stop in Sicily as well as Croatia and Montenegro in it.

Handed it back in later that day.

Didn't see it again until we docked in Athens. Found a second stamp for Croatia (different port).

Had it stamped at the airport as we flew out of Athens.

Our passports were not handed back to us before we got off in Croatia and Montenegro either week.

The cruise line usually takes your passport when you check in, and returns it to you if you need to carry it in a specific port (like St. Petersburg).

On our Med cruise last year from Barcelona to Venice we had our passports in our safe the entire time, including when visiting Turkey and Slovenia. We also visited France, Italy and Greece.

On our Baltic cruise two years ago from Amsterdam and back we had our passports in our safe the entire time except for St. Petersburg where we had to show the passports both days before taking our private tours. The cruise visited the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, and Denmark.

On our South American/Panama Canal cruise from Valparaiso, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale four years ago the cruise line collected our passports upon embarkation and returned them to us after our visit to Ecuador, after which we kept them in our safe the rest of the cruise. The cruise visited Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Columbia, and Jamaica.

I want to say that in Turkey we had to carry our passport on us but I could be wrong. We didn't have ours stamped in either Turkey or Croatia.

I've been to Turkey three times and never had to take my passport with me off the ship. As a matter of fact, after each cruise I stayed a few days at a hotel and they took my passport and kept it until I checked out.

There are pickpockets whose main job is to collect and sell your passport for a vast price....and are not averse to the odd credit card or cash, either.

Because of that risk, be very wary of taking your passport anywhere if not required, especially in busy ports where a thief could be away on a ship within minutes. One in ten UK passports replacements world wide occur in Barcelona, for instance- a place where I'd take little more than coffee money in a carrier bag. :eek:

Archived