Veranda to Oceanview Cabin- your experiences

localady

DH and I have just booked a 14 day Alaska Collector's cruise on the Zaandam for June. At this point, the only cabin types they show as available are Inside and Oceanview. HAL has not released any Verandas or above. As a result, we (who have never cruised without a veranda) have decided that we will give it a try in an Oceanview Cabin. :D

Have any other cruisers had a similar experience and how did it work for you? We figure that regardless of where we sleep, we will be in Alaska during Summer Solstice and for 14 wonderful days. I did make a point of booking an unobstructed view cabin. Thanks in advance for any insights you provide.

After our first balcony cabin, DH said he could never go back to an ocean view. So I booked us an inside. We still had a great time. That cruise was a port-intensive one to New England and Canada. We saved over $800 by booking the inside cabin, which was enough money to pay for our excursions and on board expenses.

Since then, we've had more ocean view cabins than insides or balconies. No matter which type you book, just go prepared to have a good time and you usually will. When we have inside and ocean view cabins, we spend more time on the Promenade Deck or upper outside decks. We miss having breakfast on our balcony (although we only did that once on our most recent cruise) and a glass of wine of the balcony while getting ready for dinner. But sometimes balconies aren't available--or they're not available at a good price for us, and we'd rather spend our money on other things.

Our first cruises were in oceanview cabins. The only time we book a balcony now is on the bigger ships where the oceanview rooms are under the dining room. On our cruise to Hawaii I met a woman who had an obstructive view room and it was just as good as our balcony room, she just didn't have a balcony. But she did have just as much room and the window was a floor to ceiling one, okay so her view was blocked by the tender. The next cruise I did we did an obstructive view cabin and it was fine except it was a handicap room (my DH walks with a cane). We would do another obstructive view cabin if I knew where it would be on the ship but most of them are guranteed cabins only and because my husband can't walk far without getting tired I prefer to know exactly where our cabin will be. But on the Vista class ships we would book another oceanview cabin in a heartbeat (smaller ship, less walking).

I think that for Alaska an oceanview cabin is a fine choice. The best viewing in Alaska can be 360 degrees and best done on the open decks. Alaska excursions are expensive so save your money for them, rather then on the limited viewing from your balcony.

A veranda in AK is not a "necessity" for us. What I would do on the Zaandam (or any other R or S class ship) is book an outside on the Lower Promenade near an outside door, so that we can quickly get to either side should there be an announcement of something worthy of special attention when we happen to be in our cabin.

Looking at Zandam's deck plans, there are a few cabins in the D3300 that fit that description. Zaandam looks a bit different than Maasdam and Ryndam. There is no easy access to the promenade deck at the very aft like those other ships have.

There is no easy access to the promenade deck at the very aft like those other ships have.
Aren't there outside doors at the end of the corridors next to 3430 and 3431? I don't recall from our times on the Amsterdam, but I would think there would have to be doors there as fire escapes, just as there are on the Main and Dolphin decks.

In 2008 when we had a June HAL AK cruise booked, the verandahs opened up in early March. If you really want the balcony, just keep watching daily. If you went with a travel agent, ask them to let you know when they become available. That is what my sister did, however, she was traveling solo and she decided the price was too high.

Our first cruise was in the Caribbean and we had a balcony, the next was in Alaska and we opted for an obstructed ocean-view. No big deal. We were on the Lower Promenade on the Amsterdam and had easy access to the biggest balcony on the ship.

After that we were back on balconies until our Hawaii cruise on Pride of America - we opted for another obstructed ocean-view cabin. It too was port intensive and we knew we would not be on the balcony much.

For me it all depends on the cruise whether I would really want a balcony or not, as long as I get some natural light in the cabin!

We're ones who have booked everything from insides to deluxe suites depending upon the situation. While we've never booked insides for Alaska, we're cruised there in outsides, verandah and deluxe suites. We only booked the verandah cabins as we were sailing with my parental units and my step-mom was very claustrophobic. She needed to know that she could get outside at any moment and since our cabin needed to be by theirs, we booked verandahs. As she has been on her final cruise, we've since gone back to outside cabins on our Alaska cruises without feeling at all like we're missing the verandah.

Honestly, we really didn't use our verandahs on the Alaska cruises. Basically we just went out there since it was there. One cruise we were out on our verandah maybe 15 minutes total - the entire cruise. The other time even less than that. As the others mentioned the scenery is all around the ship and we felt very limited by seeing what happened to be on our side of the ship. Since we started cruising to Alaska well before ships even had private verandahs we knew how limited our view was from our verandah. I'm with the others, don't worry about it and spend your money elsewhere. :)

Thank you so much for all your comments! :D :D

I think that it may make us get out and about more, which it not a bad thing! ;) I was very happy with the level of service my Sis and I received on the Zaandam last week. I had kind of forgotten how lovely a smaller ship could be after years of Vistas! :D

In 2008 when we had a June HAL AK cruise booked, the verandahs opened up in early March. If you really want the balcony, just keep watching daily. If you went with a travel agent, ask them to let you know when they become available. That is what my sister did, however, she was traveling solo and she decided the price was too high.

We will definitely keep an eye on it, but you are right, with limited availability the price might be more that we would want to spend. That is why I booked a cabin we think we will enjoy with and marked our reservation "do not upgrade".

We go back and forth from outside to verandahs. It all depends on the cruise. For cool-weather cruises we know we wouldn't get a lot of use from a verandah, so we book outsides. For warm-weather cruises a verandah is great. So for us it all depends on how much use we know we would get from a verandah as to whether we get one. :)

We will definitely keep an eye on it, but you are right, with limited availability the price might be more that we would want to spend. That is why I booked a cabin we think we will enjoy with and marked our reservation "do not upgrade".

We, who've always had verandahs or insides, just booked our first oceanview today on a very port intensive cruise. However, I ticked off "do upgrade". Is there a danger in being moved to a higher category but in a less desired location? This particular cruise is highly booked and there don't seem to be a lot of cabins left.

I just came back from a 14 day cruise to Southeast Asia where I solo cruised, and due to the high cost of verandahs for a single, I opted instead for an outside cabin, although I haven't been in anything other than a verandah for quite awhile.

It was fine. I missed the verandah, and would have used it a lot on this cruise, as the weather was quite warm, but hey, it is what it is. I'd rather cruise with just a window than not cruise at all.

I've never been in an inside cabin. I really need to be able to see outside in some fashion, so I just don't think I could do an inside.

I also am not sure I'd be happy with an outside on the promenade deck. I like my windows/drapes open at all times and at night that would present quite a problem - having people walk by and be able to see in.

I do agree with the other posters here - the Alaskan itinerary begs for 360 degree views - I liked the suggestion of booking a cabin near elevator or stairs or outside doors for quick access to that view.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

We, who've always had verandahs or insides, just booked our first oceanview today on a very port intensive cruise. However, I ticked off "do upgrade". Is there a danger in being moved to a higher category but in a less desired location? This particular cruise is highly booked and there don't seem to be a lot of cabins left.

My personal concern is that we are in a unobstructed view cabin and an "upgrade" could be to a "C", which is a higher category, but is on the lower promenade deck where folks walk 24/7. I too like to keep our curtains open as much as possible and I'd not enjoy that type of cabin. Plus our cabin is located near an elevator and not too far forward or aft! ;) Also there is no apparent laundry facilities or room stewards areas to interrupt daily. (I am really not that picky, just experienced!! ;) LOL)

We went from a balcony to non balcony and haven't looked back. We find the rooms just fine. If we want to sit outside we go out on deck. We almost never used our balconies so why pay for them. We are hardly in our rooms. I doubt we will go back. I would move up to a suite but I'm happy in my "view" room.

Yes, we had booked a lower category that had all unobstructed ocean view cabins. We were upgraded to a category that was obstructed. Our TA contacted HAL for us as she did not like the upgrade they gave us. It took her two supervisors, but we got a fully unobstructed Ocean View. This is a time I was really glad I had a local TA working for me. This was my first cruise and I just couldn't comprehend how you could get upgraded from a unobstructed ocean view to an obstructed ocean view. I am all the wiser now. In fact, we were so fortunate the cabin we ended up with was mid-ship. We learned on that and subsquent cruises that we just don't do well in the forward part of the ship. Since that cruise we pick a cabin and mark it do not upgrade. You can still qualify for upsells with the "do not upgrade" option.

When we were on the Zaandam, in Alaska, in 2010, we had an oceanview, main deck, and it was perfect. It was really cold virtually all the time we were on the cruise, and I doubt we would have spent time on the balcony anyway. The prom deck was perfect as was the bow of the shin when we were in Glacier Bay. I don't think you'll miss the balcony.

My personal concern is that we are in a unobstructed view cabin and an "upgrade" could be to a "C", which is a higher category, but is on the lower promenade deck where folks walk 24/7. I too like to keep our curtains open as much as possible and I'd not enjoy that type of cabin.
Don't worry about that. We have chosen LP cabins 5 times, and I have tested the visibility on all if them. It is impossible to see in during the day, and very difficult at night even with the drapes open and the lights in the room on, because the deck lights are very bright and stay on all night. As to the passing traffic, after a couple of hours you don't even notice it.
Plus our cabin is located near an elevator and not too far forward or aft! ;) Also there is no apparent laundry facilities or room stewards areas to interrupt daily. (I am really not that picky, just experienced!! ;) LOL)
Maybe you should call back and change to "Do Not Upgrade". ;)

We love an Ocean View on Main Deck, just below the walk-around deck…we can easily run upstairs and get to either side to see whatever we are seeing at that moment.

In AK we are never in our cabin during the day, and often not until late at night…the Crows Nest, the Lido, and outside decks are where you see things. NOT from your small balcony. Just our thoughts.

Aren't there outside doors at the end of the corridors next to 3430 and 3431? I don't recall from our times on the Amsterdam, but I would think there would have to be doors there as fire escapes, just as there are on the Main and Dolphin decks.

There are doors there on Maasdam and Ryndam, but the deck plans for the Zaandam don't show them. They should be there, but are not in the picture.

Archived