Can't find your door/cabin?

banshee72

I am surprised that this being a cruise critic forum that no one has mentioned putting a "Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle" door sign up.

We do it every cruise so that the folks we have been chatting with will notice us if they pass our stateroom. Also DW likes to put Decorations up if it is around a Holiday, Birthday or Anniversary.

As many cruises that I have been on, until last October I never even realized the carpeting was a different color on each side.:eek::D

It sure helps knowing which way to turn after exiting the elevators. I also note the hallway decorations and sometimes have decorations on the door so I have never had a problem finding my door. I do not drink that much so that has never been an issue.

Sue

I just purchased a few more magnets this evening. Not excessive, we had a couple of small beach balls and a kangaroo on our last cruise.

Fridgedoor (they're all small, flat magnets) seems to update quite a bit, and I purchased Ft. Lauderdale, a California one and "Vacationland" this evening. They are inexpensive. We only have about 3 or 4 on the door on any cruise.

We like coming back for the evening, and going, "Yep, here's our cabin". :D:):D

As many cruises that I have been on, until last October I never even realized the carpeting was a different color on each side.:eek::D

Sue

I never knew the carpet was different colours either. I'll keep my eye out when I go on my next.

I've never really seen any door decorations. What type of decorations do people use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done door decorations on a few of our cruises, but it was never because we were concerned about not finding our cabin! Some of our roll call groups all decided to decorate, which was in tandem with some cabin crawls. One one cruise, we were a group of 5 couples traveling together, and our cabins were all along the same corridor. I went to the party store and purchased 5 autumn leaves (it was an October cruise,) and taped them to each door with the names of the occupants, so we all knew who was in which cabin. On one cruise, a milestone birthday for me, my friend surprised me with birthday door decorations, which I enjoyed the entire cruise.

We have only decorated our door on Disney cruises - lots of people do on that cruise line. The kids had a great time walking to our room and checking out all the doors. It just added to the celebratory vibe going on. It had nothing at all to do with drinking.

I didn't decorate the door on our last cruise (NCL Epic) and I'm not sure about the next one (Navigator for Spring break). Maybe I'll let the kids do some graphic designing on the computer and make their own!:)

While we're on this subject, our upcoming cruise is to celebrate both my daughter and my sister graduating from Nursing school. Would love ideas of something clever to put on our adjoining cabin doors. I'm not terribly creative--any ideas?

Over the last few months I have seen several threads about people putting decorations/magnets on their door so it is easier to find?

Usually the cabin door is located between the hallway and the cabin. I've never had any trouble finding it.

I've never decorated doors before and only tried to get into someone else's cabin a couple times on Liberty (those center aft cabins get confusing with 3 hallways to get there ;))

That said our next cruise we have 5 cabins on 3 different decks in assorted areas so I might get something to identify them... We'll know the general area but I doubt i'll be able to remember all 5 cabin #'s and i'm sure the rest of the troops wont either...

I decorated our cabin door on our Liberty cruise Dec 8-15.....so close to Christmas is was just a fun thing to do. Also decorated the inside windows and balcony with the window clings.

I used the sticky-tacky putty stuff to hold up the garland and candy canes etc. I have a picture somewhere and will try to post it. (Never saw another cabin door decorated, though.:confused: )

we don't consider it decorating our door, but we usually bring along a magnet of our favorite team (Steelers) (Penguins) or yes, even Pirates and stick it on the top of the door. Usually makes for a conversation piece while people walk by.

We were on a cruise during the Super Bowl Steelers vs Packers and have to say we pulled it down right after the game when they lost.....LOL

Didn't want to hear about it over and over....haha

The first cruise I ever went on, my brother and I were 19/20ish and put in the cabin across the hall from our parents. One night we were coming back from dinner with the whole family and for some reason our key card just wouldn't work in the door. We tried it over and over, gave it some muscle, finally my brother decided to put his whole shoulder into it. That door just wouldn't budge at all.

My Mom looks up and realizes we are on the wrong floor!....It wasn't our cabin at all and for the longest time all 4 of us just couldn't figure out why our door just didn't want to open. There's a lot of idiots out there!

Wow, I never noticed it either, and now I need to go on another cruise so I can see it!

Not only are the colors of the rugs different, look at the artwork. On the Mariner, there were pictures and painting of boats and ships. All the bows of the boats and ships in the artwork were facing towards the bow of the Mariner. Made it easy to find our aft facing cabin.

To find my cabin quickly, I note the artwork or something similar on the side of the ship my room is on. Getting off the elevator after not necessarily paying attention, a quick glance will tell me which way I have to turn.

On Princess, the carpeting is different colors on the port and starboard side of the ship, also thus telling you quickly at a glance which way to turn; it's kind of cool. :p

The carpet is also different colours on RCI ships, it is amazing how many people never realise it!

When DH and I cruised with our adult daughter and her friend (both autistic), we were in separate rooms across the hall from each other. Our daughter and her friend were independent enough that they didn't have to be with us at all times, but there might be times when they would need us. So I printed off labeled photos of the different areas of the ship any of us might be in, laminated them, and stuck magnets on the back. When any of us left our room, we put the card indicating where we were going under our name. It worked out pretty well, as long as we remembered to do it.

I love the idea of decorating the door, and have never done it. I just found cruise cabin door magnets that are personalized and are 8 1/2 x 11 so I can easily spot it down the hall. They are from Favors By Serendipity in their cruise accessories section. Must be new. I've gotten their luggage tag holders and they are great. Think I will give this a try, they look perfect for someone like me who doesn't want to do it themselves.

Aren't the room numbers on your Sea Pass?

NO. If you lose your sea pass, and somebody picks it up...

My husband has low vision. I just like something familiar on my door :p So we bring a small magnet. We never "decorate". No harm for anybody.

Never noticed different carpet, we just notice how the elevators and stairs are positioned, this works - we are always close to the middle elevators. And after reading Cruise Critic, I looked. Maybe I need to check my eyes for color blindness :o

Can't find the picture I took of our door on the Allure, but I like to decorate our door. CC roll call people recognized our name on the door and later we had a conversation on our balcony [they were one floor and one room up from ours] it was kind of cool, I hear "Hey Sunebeach!" I look up and talk to a CC roll call member.

We did get turned around in the halls and even :o tried my sea pass card several times when the DH realized we were at the wrong end of the ship...room numbers were similar, just transposed, my number dyslexia kicked in [it had nothing to do with the margarita's I consumed in the solarium!!!;):D]

that's my story and I'll stick to it...

Archived