Can't find your door/cabin?

banshee72

How hard is it to remember your cabin number and look for it? :rolleyes: It's what we do. I never, ever count doors from the stairs,elevator, whatever. I know my cabin number. In a dozen cruises, I've always been able to find my cabin, even after having a few.

Its not hard at all but many first time cruisers do get disoriented by going down the wrong hallway (starboard instead of port) or going AFT instead of Forward.

We have never gotten lost in all of our fifteen cruises but we do decorate our cabin doors, becuase we want to and can:p, and have received thank yous from many first time cruisers telling us they use our decoration as a type of road map to help find their way back to their cabins.

We do it because it's fun and just easier to find our door!

This was our last cruise:

DSCN6300.jpg

On the way to dinner the last evening, we 'met' our neighbors who commented: "oh so you're the residents who live behind the fun door" :p

We make sure each one is personalized in some form...a name or cabin #...we don't want any of them walking away.....

Why not? :cool:

I decorate my door because it is fun. Not because i can't find it. The door decoration makes the room personal. When I go to enter the room, the door decoration says to me "welcome, you're home".

I agree!

It's the same reason I decorate (put a seasonal wreath) on my front door at home!

We have decorated our door on our last two cruises...not because we wouldn't be able to find the room otherwise, but because it is fun. If you are travelling with a group of other family members, it does make it easier to find your cabin if they have a bunch of cabin numbers to remember.

Here is our door from our 2010 cruise:

2ce85921-888e-4d18-ad50-c322448dd0e5_zps751f0602.jpg

Here is our door from our 2012 cruise. My son came up with the idea of having the bubbles from the fish with the day of the week and name of the port or 'at sea' and then had a ship that he moved each day to be next to the day of the week.

92f05a9a-64a5-43df-b6d0-71bf1f73b135_zpsde65c6ae.jpg

Here is our door from our 2012 cruise. My son came up with the idea of having the bubbles from the fish with the day of the week and name of the port or 'at sea' and then had a ship that he moved each day to be next to the day of the week.

92f05a9a-64a5-43df-b6d0-71bf1f73b135_zpsde65c6ae.jpg

That one is awesome!

Can you make your own with simple magnetic strips behind pictures/signs? Are those strong enough to hold it up on the door?

You can, just make sure there is quite a bit of magnet in proportion to size. The doors close pretty firmly, and if it's not strong enough, it will fall off in the hallway and likely get tossed.

That's why we ended up going with fridge magnets or sunebeach uses suction cup hooks or even 3M "Command" hooks (I think) which are fully removable.

That one is awesome!

You can, just make sure there is quite a bit of magnet in proportion to size. The doors close pretty firmly, and if it's not strong enough, it will fall off in the hallway and likely get tossed.

That's why we ended up going with fridge magnets or sunebeach uses suction cup hooks or even 3M "Command" hooks (I think) which are fully removable.

Thanks! I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on magnets that will stick to the decorations I make. I don't want to spend any more real money on something that is likely to get stolen :P

Thanks! I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on magnets that will stick to the decorations I make. I don't want to spend any more real money on something that is likely to get stolen :P

I understand that, but if it falls off...you might think it was stolen and instead it was just thrown away because it was on the floor in the hallway.

I understand that, but if it falls off...you might think it was stolen and instead it was just thrown away because it was on the floor in the hallway.

Either way, I won't be heartbroken, I won't spend a jabillion bucks on an internet package to post here on CC during the cruise that my cruise is ruined.....I promise :)

In July, we took our GS on FOS for his birthday. We had RCL decorate the room and door. On the last night, he went off to do flowrider and we stayed behind to pack. Packed all of the room/door decorations so he could save them to show his parents. When he came back later in the evening, he couldn't find the cabin. :)

Becci, nice to see you on the boards. We sailed together on the Mariner in 2011 and I missed the M & M party. Wanted to meet you girl! We are on the Mariner again March 31st this year. Did the Navigator out of NO this past November. Then we have the Serenade out of NO again in December... That's a nine day cruise and really looking forward to that one. Well, not true, am looking forward to the next one ALWAYS!

Yes, magnet page or roll of magnet tape works great.

Thanksgiving family cruise I used the tape on baby flip flops which I then decorated with names and cruise stickers:

5d2y1.jpg

Got the idea from someone on the cruise before that and thought it was cute and simple.

It would be cool to have Wayfinder Kiosks throughout the ship where you can swipe your SeaPass card to see where your room location is from the kiosk. Seriously all the doors look the same.

Or a better idea just add a note in your PDA or Cellphone your room number but don't be too specific. Just right CC(Cruise Critic) with your room number or some random letter so only you know what it means.

Archived