Is It Making You Think Twice About Cruising?

startwin

Just wondering.... given all the dire reports from the Carnival ship this week, is it putting anyone off of cruising? I've heard people say no way would they ever cruise anyway, and the Carnival situation is a good reason. For myself, it won't stop me cruising, but it certainly does make you wonder if it could ever happen to you. And this is the second time in recent years with Carnival.

I heard people today saying they would never go on a cruise. I wouldn't hesitate and come April am off again. Stuff happens everyday, you can't just hide in the house and not participate. I fell bad for all those people on the Triumph and would never want to be in that situation but I'm still cruising.

I'll be honest, it makes me nervous but I'm going on Monday just the same.

Be sure to pack some big ziplock bags and peanut butter. :p

Seriously, it does give a person pause, but the law of averages will most likely protect you for a while. I will try to watch your Sailaway and wish you a great cruise.

Like Jacqui, I have reservations about crossing the ocean right now but I know that once we get aboard we will enjoy ourselves so much that we won't give it too much thought.

By the way, where will you be standing?

Seriously, it does give a person pause, but the law of averages will most likely protect you for a while. I will try to watch your Sailaway and wish you a great cruise.

Like Jacqui, I have reservations about crossing the ocean right now but I know that once we get aboard we will enjoy ourselves so much that we won't give it too much thought.

I'll pack that. I think I'll be standing on my balcony for sail away. I may go to the lido deck but I'm not sure.

I am eagerly awaiting boarding WESTERDAM in two weeks, certainly would not be happy to suffer through a situation like this though.

Let's also keep in perspective the big difference between extreme inconvenience and some discomfort vs casualties and loss of life.

I'll pack that. I think I'll be standing on my balcony for sail away. I may go to the lido deck but I'm not sure.

I had to look back in your FB messages but I found your room number so you shouldn't be too hard to spot.

Actually although DH rarely talks about cruising - we talked about this very thing tonight.

He has no trepidation to go on the Elegant Explorer across the ocean. He remembered well the officers inspecting the cleaning in the Crow's Nest and other places.

He figures if they were that fussy in some areas (and we are talking about a stairwell where no one would notice anything), then they must apply the same philosophy to other parts of the ship.

My sympathies to those on the Carnival ship - but after listening to DH (who usually has no interest in planning) we will happily sail this ship. He is honestly not worried and he has to be one of the most safety oriented people I know.

I hate everything about what has happend on Carnival (a few times now) but it is not going to keep us from cruising....

It probably would keep me from sailing Carnival, had we been inclined to before these incidents.

I am eagerly awaiting boarding WESTERDAM in two weeks, certainly would not be happy to suffer through a situation like this though.

Let's also keep in perspective the big difference between extreme inconvenience and some discomfort vs casualties and loss of life.

huh??? I must be slow - totally get the loss of life but I have no desire to be locked out of my cabin and to be given baggies :eek: This certainly is nothing compared to the Costa tragedy BUT these people are not having the cruise they planned on - this is the cruise from double h toothpicks. My sympathies to them

huh??? I must be slow - totally get the loss of life but I have no desire to be locked out of my cabin and to be given baggies :eek: This certainly is nothing compared to the Costa tragedy BUT these people are not having the cruise they planned on - this is the cruise from double h toothpicks. My sympathies to them

No, you are not slow. Of course you can't compare the two. I'm sure most people would rather be on that ship then dead:rolleyes:.

We have over l00 Cruises but have never done a Transatlantic. How is it and is it rougher than a regular sailing. Thinking I would like to try this.

What can I say? no one controls King Neptune. You will hear different stories from different people - we've only had on really 'rough' day - in all our crossings. Honestly - I remember horrendous storms in the Caribbean which were worse.

My first TA - I said what in heavens name will we do?? I couldn't believe how quickly the time flew by. I discovered this is a wonderful way to relax - great lecturers - it's a whole different experience when you cross the pond - the ship is the focal point - the right one is key,

We have over l00 Cruises but have never done a Transatlantic. How is it and is it rougher than a regular sailing. Thinking I would like to try this.

I have four TA's under my belt. Two were smooth as glass, one was uneventful and on one we had a storm that the captain said to my father was the worst he had ever encountered. All the furniture was lashed together to keep it from flying around and there were ropes strung everywhere to hang onto. Being only 13 at the time I thought it was great fun.

It is pure luck of the draw.

I certainly am still excited about my upcoming cruise ! :)

However , it does make me queation what would happen on a TA or , especially , a cruise to Antarctica. We loved our Antarctica cruise , but we went through some terrible weather with 27 ft waves. We didn't touch land for a week. I can't imagine the outcome if we had lost power while in Antarctica or while crossing Drake's passage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are seriously contemplating if it is worth it, at least for voyages not near shore. The Canadian, Alaskan and several European itineraries you are close to shore for rescue so we would not think twice on those.

I can't lie though that this makes me weary of being hundreds of miles from land. I'm sure it will pass, but then the value of cruising for us has decreased each year for many so those combined don't lead me to believe cruises are a major vacation choice for us moving forward; (except Alaska, Norway and Canada ... ).

It is very unfortunate for those on that ship, but it is not going to stop us. It could happen to any of us anytime we sail, but hopefully it won't. We survived Superstorm Sandy on the Explorer of the Seas...and I'm hoping that was our "test" of the seas.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

We are seriously contemplating if it is worth it, at least for voyages not near shore. The Canadian, Alaskan and several European itineraries you are close to shore for rescue so we would not think twice on those.

I can't lie though that this makes me weary of being hundreds of miles from land. I'm sure it will pass, but then the value of cruising for us has decreased each year for many so those combined don't lead me to believe cruises are a major vacation choice for us moving forward; (except Alaska, Norway and Canada ... ).

I am not so sure that being close to land is all that ideal.

I can imagine sailing the inside passage in Alaska and losing all propulsion. Some of the areas are surprisngly narrow. It would not take much wind, tide and current to put a ship on the rocks, long before a tug could be dispatched and arrive to control the movement.

Archived