Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

As for those posters upset by the very few cents increase in the daily charge - come on, you pay hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars for a cruise and worry about a few cents extra, get real!

It has been a long thread but I don't recall anyone complaining about that issue.

Yes but the rates i was quoting were for the poorer states:D

Not many here earn less than 60G,s:D:D:D so we can afford that $7 cup of coffee:D

It is amazing what can be accomlished when a country is actually able to control the flow of people across its borders.

We need a POLL on the new tipping i dont know how to do it:o

And, it's running 3 to 1 FOR auto tipping.

And, for everyone who keeps bringing up the "living wage" you do realize where most (if not all) of the crew comes from what they are paid far exceeds what they could make at home so they are far surpassing a living wage in their home country. Our waiter on our last trip was talking about how now he and his wife could have the second child they were expecting and they could send them to private school and how they were going to start a business, all impossible without his job as a waiter on RCI. No one asked him about his pay but we did ask about his family and his life at home. The only crew we have met that lives in a country that does have higher wages (Europe), had a very high unemployment rate and this allowed the person to pay off student loans (had a master's degree) so they could start over back home when they did find a job. I think the "living wage" argument is just smoke, another excuse...

What about a solo traveller who chooses to eat at the buffet? I cruised solo last time and decided to try something different and ate at the buffet or in port. I wound up tipping those I saw regularly at the buffet and gave my room attendant extra. So I still pretty much gave full tip money, just distributed differently. If I choose to go that route again will I be tipping the dining room staff in full even if I never use them?

They will add your tips daily on your sea pass if you have not pre-paid your tips. So-the simple answer is Yes.

Now-if you want to tip like you would like-which I totally understand, you must stand on line to remove them so you can tip.

You will have to take flack on this thread for wanting that. You will have to stand on a 'line of shame' as it is called here because all will assume you are going to stiff them.

On this thread, you will also have to listen to a bunch of people who swear they know exactly how the corporate office works and where your tip money goes.

Even though some people have posted the crew likes this and will tell you over and over again, never mind about the posts that have said staff said they hate it or like cash!!

You will have to snake through a group of people that will be dragging chairs down to heckle you and try and get your name so it can be posted on some website somewhere that you stiffed the staff. [Edited to say-please-insert your sense of humour here if you can find it!!]

Above all-have a sense of humour and a tough skin if you choose to return to this thread!!:D

It's so nice that people try to see all sides on the forum ain't it!!:D

Just as many people said they were leaving when RCI changed the C&A levels....I took note of their names....and guess what...they're ALL still here...

Well I am taking notes of people who are taking notes and you are #1 on my list. Please have your notes ready for inspection so we know you are being truthful on this board......

Just off the AOS and i got the e-mail advising of the new tipping policy effective March 1. I have no problem as it is only $1.45 more per 7 day cruise. I believe it is a fair policy as there are cruisers that try to evade tipping by eating in the Windjammer for all of their meals. On one of our cruise we had a table for six and the only time the others showed up was on lobster night.

It came as a surprise (no prior notice) that we received empty envelopes and were told that this was mandatory and the gratuity(s) go directly to the individual account. This was confirmed by the staff involved as they received a list of paxs and the amounts--they had no problem and were basically happy about it. I guess the envelopes is for any extra tip.

Yep I've just had the same email !

Not Impressed at all...

We don't pre-pay, we used to, but we were told by a RCI crew member that the crewmember only gets 50% of our pre-paid tips and the other 50% goes into a big pot !!!

Hmmmm - who's pot I wonder ?

We prefer to give $ cash to whom ever we want to tip...

i checked the web site and it stated that you could see the info desk you can tell then to take off the tips if you wish to pay people individually

they say your cabin guy gets 7 dollars a day if i remember corectly they have about a dozen cabins each so thats 84 dollars a day in tips plus wages i really dont see RCCI giving that much

and if you ask RCCI they refuse to discuss how they spend your money

also i have been told that if the customer satisfaction survey does not rate them in the very high 90s they lose the tips for that cruise (where tips go then hmm)

Just as many people said they were leaving when RCI changed the C&A levels....I took note of their names....and guess what...they're ALL still here...

Well I am taking notes of people who are taking notes and you are #1 on my list. Please have your notes ready for inspection so we know you are being truthful on this board......

Like button pushed.;):D

i checked the web site and it stated that you could see the info desk you can tell then to take off the tips if you wish to pay people individually

they say your cabin guy gets 7 dollars a day if i remember corectly they have about a dozen cabins each so thats 84 dollars a day in tips plus wages i really dont see RCCI giving that much

and if you ask RCCI they refuse to discuss how they spend your money

also i have been told that if the customer satisfaction survey does not rate them in the very high 90s they lose the tips for that cruise (where tips go then hmm)

Currently the suggested gratuity for Housekeeping Staff for non-suite guests is $5.00pp per day.

Out of the $5.00pp per day that the cabin attendant receives he gets 85% of that amount. 15% goes to other Housekeeping Staff.

So, if he/she services 10 cabins with 2 people and they all prepay for a 7 day cruise he would get $595. His wage from RCI is $50 per month.

You will not be able to opt out

1- just because you want to pay cash

2-just because you do not eat in the MDR a couple nights or all nights

3-because you do not want to tip some or all

4-or just because you do not like the plan in general

You will be able to opt out only if

You have received bad service from your room steward (as in room not cleaned) or bad service from your waiter/ass. Waiter in the MDR..

I hope this is true :)

LOL. I was always one that opted IN when it was an option.

Now that it is automatic, I will be scrutizing where my tips are going, and if I detect it going to someone other than those that are assigned and dedicated to me, I will make that choice AT THAT TIME.

There's already been at least one line were it was found they were holding back tips from the crew. My cash direct will eliminate that from EVER happening.

You're under the impression that when you give cash tips to the particular individuals, they get to keep them. That is incorrect. All the tips are still pooled and distributed. The only exception, I believe is if you tip above and beyond. i.e. if you autotip and then give a particular member cash, they might get to keep it. But if all you do is give them cash tips, they still get pooled. This is the same as every restaurant you ever go to. The waitress that served you dinner has to dole out a portion of the tips to the bus staff, bar staff, and kitchen staff. If she just pockets it, it's basically considered theft.

So, if you forego the auto tips and then pay the same amount in cash, you're basically just making more work for the person you're tipping.

Now-if you want to tip like you would like-which I totally understand, you must stand on line to remove them so you can tip.

It's so nice that people try to see all sides on the forum ain't it!!:D

1- just because you want to use cash to tip

You have received bad service from your room steward (as in room not cleaned) or bad service from your waiter/ass. Waiter in the MDR..you would have to eat there to have the bad service

Also

If you settle up your sea pass acc. On the last night by using cash then the tips that were charged each day to your acc. Will be paid in cash that way.

After reading all these posts..there's something I just don't understand. A vast majority of the people that disapprove of the new tipping system state that they don't eat in the MDR. My question is...what dining did they sign up for? I'm assuming its Traditional since MTD would have prepaid tips. So what happens to their assigned seat when they don't show up in the dining room. It seems this is unfair to people who want Traditional dining but can't get it because its filled up.Do all those seats that Traditional diners don't use because they're in the buffet or specialty restaurants get reassigned or do they just remain empty?

You're under the impression that when you give cash tips to the particular individuals, they get to keep them. That is incorrect. All the tips are still pooled and distributed. The only exception, I believe is if you tip above and beyond. i.e. if you autotip and then give a particular member cash, they might get to keep it. But if all you do is give them cash tips, they still get pooled. This is the same as every restaurant you ever go to. The waitress that served you dinner has to dole out a portion of the tips to the bus staff, bar staff, and kitchen staff. If she just pockets it, it's basically considered theft.

So, if you forego the auto tips and then pay the same amount in cash, you're basically just making more work for the person you're tipping.

Thank you so much for clarifying for me. The only reason I considered opting out was to get the cash to give directly to my servers, cabin steward, etc. This was, of course, going to be more trouble for me on vacation but I'm the untrusting of big corporation type person. I just wanted to make sure the money got to the right hands. I honestly had no idea that they had to pool their tips no matter what. I will still wait until I get onboard because I have good OBCs that help out with the tips. However, it certainly sounds easier just to let it all happen like it is supposed to without being difficult. Like I had said before, financially it does not make a difference to me. Even with the increase in amounts it comes out to less than $10 for our entire trip. Just not a big deal. Now I don't even have to worry about envelopes, cash, etc.

All that said, I do wish that cruise ships didn't feel like they had to do this. I wish everybody would realize how hard the employees work and would tip them accordingly so we could keep it old school and tip well for good service but at least now they will get tips from everyone. I hope this means their overall take home pay is higher, but I also hope the service level stays high.

Debbie

There are so many people quoting that 1 member of staff said they would prefer this way and so many have said they prefer the other nobody knows what is the right way or the other.Why does,nt RCCL and all the other cruise lines state exactly how everyones tips are distributed wether cash or any other way. If they have nothing to hide from us or their staff they should inform us. They must be reading these forums.

I posted this earlier about auto tipping and cabin attendants.

Currently the suggested gratuity for Housekeeping Staff for non-suite guests is $5.00pp per day.

Out of the $5.00pp per day that the cabin attendant receives he gets 85% of that amount. 15% goes to other Housekeeping Staff.

So, if he/she services 10 cabins with 2 people and they all prepay for a 7 day cruise he would get $595. His wage from RCI is $50 per month.

Now let's reverse the picture and say that the 10 above mentioned cabins all payed in cash. RCI "assumes" that everyone is going to pay the "recommended" amount to the cabin attendant.

If they did he would receive $700 for the week and out of that amount he must give back 15% or $105 to cover the "other" housekeeping staff leaving him with $595. Anything over and above the recommended amount is his/hers to keep.

Now, if he doesn't receive a total of $700 for the week, he still must give back 15%. And that money comes out of the "over and above" that he might have received.

I posted this earlier about auto tipping and cabin attendants.

Now let's reverse the picture and say that the 10 above mentioned cabins all payed in cash. RCI "assumes" that everyone is going to pay the "recommended" amount to the cabin attendant.

If they did he would receive $700 for the week and out of that amount he must give back 15% or $105 to cover the "other" housekeeping staff leaving him with $595. Anything over and above the recommended amount is his/hers to keep.

Now, if he doesn't receive a total of $700 for the week, he still must give back 15%. And that money comes out of the "over and above" that he might have received.

Very interesting...but really doesn't seem fair. If what you're saying is true then those that tip above are subsidizing the deadbeats who don't tip the full amount...does that mean that the 10.00 or 20.00 that some slip the attendant the first day may not be all his to keep?

Very interesting...but really doesn't seem fair. If what you're saying is true then those that tip above are subsidizing the deadbeats who don't tip the full amount...does that mean that the 10.00 or 20.00 that some slip the attendant the first day may not be all his to keep?

I am pretty sure that any attendant with an ounce of sense would just pocket the cash and deny any tip was received. What incentive do they have to declare it if a percentage of it is taken away from them?

Just got off the Enchantment and had the slowest cabin attendant we have ever had on a cruise, but also just about the nicest guy you would want to meet.

One day our room was made up at 2:45 the turned down at 6pm

On day one we were getting ready for the muster drill when he came in and said "Oh you are here, I haven't finished the room yet"

As we found out later our guy had 15 rooms to take care of .

We pre paid our tip as we always do , on day 12 the rooms was done around 1:30 the envolopes were left on the bed that was the last we seen of our attendent. Nothing in the evening , not even ice. Not sure if he was new or just slow, we received a call one day asking if everything was ok then a couple days later we received a knock on the door and management wanted to have a look at the room, they asked us if everything was fine we said Yes.

1- just because you want to use cash to tip

You have received bad service from your room steward (as in room not cleaned) or bad service from your waiter/ass. Waiter in the MDR..you would have to eat there to have the bad service

Also

If you settle up your sea pass acc. On the last night by using cash then the tips that were charged each day to your acc. Will be paid in cash that way.

Says you can on the UK site. It's been posted many times.

How do you know this? How does anyone know anything about how money is distributed.

If I believed everything everone said on this site-one of the tipping threas someone said the cook gets part of the MDR tips.:eek:

If I ask my stateroom attedant if he'd rather have cash or auto tip and he says cash, you bet your bottom dollar I'm on that line of shame!!

are you sure of the $50 a month figure, on ocean village the bar waiters received $400 a month

if it is $50 i am appalled

From the http://www.******************.com/

Royal Caribbean notified its passengers via email today that as of March 1, 2013, all passengers would be charged an automatic daily gratuity for the crew members in the dining room and housekeeping that serve are traditionally tipped.

Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel. This new gratuity replaces the previously optional gratuity guidelines.

Passengers who had previously prepaid their gratuities for their upcoming cruise will not be affected by the change.

This change to force all passengers to automatically pay for gratuities can be viewed from two major viewpoints. First, proponents of the automatic gratuities will point to the fact there have been passengers in the past who do not tip at all and thus, this will guarantee the hard working Royal Caribbean crew members a fair wage. On the other hand, critics complain that automatic gratuities will lead to sub-par service if crew members are aware they are getting a tip already.

Royal Caribbean's change mirrors what competitors Carnival , Princess, Cunard, Holland America and Norwegian have already instituted.

All of the competitor cruise lines do allow passengers to go to the guest relations desk onboard the ship and ask to change the automatic gratuity charges if they feel service is not up to the expected levels.

Notice the words FORCE and WAGE.

You got it.:D Anything that they receive extra is there's to keep.

I am pretty sure that any attendant with an ounce of sense would just pocket the cash and deny any tip was received. What incentive do they have to declare it if a percentage of it is taken away from them?

Doesn't benefit them at all if they deny that they received the "assumed" gratuities. Out of 10 cabins, if every cabin did not pay the assumed amount, the cabin attendant must still come up with $105 dollars to turn in at the end of the cruise. This comes out of "their" pocket. The 15% is automatically deducted from auto tips.

Please pay attention to what "crusinfever" said.

The cabin attendant has to pay a percent of what the guidelines said he SHOULD be receiving...not a percent of what he actually received. Keep this in mind if you decide to stiff the cabin attendant. If he gets less than the assessed amount he makes up the difference.

If everyone gave the recommended amount or more then the attendant would be happy...if not, the cheepos may be penalizing him more than they anticipated.

The "other housekeeping staff" includes those who schlep your suitcases to and from your cabin.

It matters nothing to me which way I pay the tips. However, those who short the crew should be ashamed of themselves no matter what rhetoric they use to justify themselves.

Archived