Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Can someone please explain to me how they say they are not receiving a service?

Wait staff work all dining venues.... no? On rotation? Midnight buffets? etc

Room stewards..... I've seen do not disturb signs on doors for the entire length of a cruise..... regardless these rooms have to have been made ready for the guest.... and heavens knows what state they were in on debarking.

Head waiter..... who do you think organises the dining room.... trains up the wait staff to describe the menu.... keeps the service running?

Oh, my face is red. :o Did not read the part that you can remove this charge if your service is less than excellent. You are right, there will always be stiffers who will try to work their way out of the surcharge regardless of what they call it.

Technically, the e-mail says that you can "request to modify" the automatic gratuities. It does not say that all such requests will be granted.

now the rush for MTD

My first thoughts exactly:).

RCI are only adopting what their other company Celebrity does already , I am surprised it has taken them this long to introduce it. Each day on your sea pass account the daily charge appears on it , simple .

We always have OBC on each cruise and use that towards/pay the tips , we never pay in advance , so we will still be paying but just in another roundabout way.

I much prefer to pay up front and if you have a real problem you can have them removed.

The people who have asked for a set time seating in the dining room should still have to keep that time so that us who have booked mtd won't be be crushed in the stampede.

I also think it will apply to everyone and not just us in the UK.As it should!

It does actually say in the email that you can ask for the charge to be removed "in the unlikely event you receive less than excellent service". As I have said before, this will NOT stop the "stiffers"...it will simply mean they have to queue at Guest Services in order to do their "stiffing".

here's hoping that some of them will be too lazy or unwilling to stand in line and do so.

I guess I just don't understand this vehement resistance to paying what amounts to very little in the overall cost of the vacation/holiday.

does it REALLY matter when you pay the money and how?

You know what?! if you are so against 'paying for something you haven't received' as far as service.. then is it so hard to just NOT GIVE OUT ANY EXTRA than what they charge you?!

tipping should be about service over and above, not penalizing someone for doing their job because you don't agree with the way the system is set up.

I am really pleased about this.

We always pre pay our tips and I do know that some of us this side of the pond aren't quite so accustomed to the tipping ethic so I am really pleased that tipping is 'compulsory' as such because I think the crew really deserve it.

Just recently I met someone who was cruising with royal in the summer and she announced that they only eat in the windjammer a. because its better for the kids and b. so they didn't have to worry about tipping the waiters! I was astounded. I said so do you tip the windjammer staff then if you eat there every night and she mumbled something about her husband giving them something she Thinks?? Didn't quite believe her!!

Anyway, it has the thumbs up from me :)

Another thumbs up from this Brit too!

Met with a family at a friend's drinks recently: they were UK Diamond C&A members, family of 5; proudly announced that they didn't pay a penny (cent :)) in tips on their last Indie cruise, and they have never paid the 'recommended amount' on any of their cruises. ..........Thank you. It is because of people like you that RCI has made this sensible change.

NorbertsNiece

Strike while the iron is hot , start the thread yourself if your that passionate :-)

Lol. I like to start threads where I stand a good chance of NOT getting flamed.... as it was my B2B thread nearly went off topic in a way I never imagined.... nah... I'm passionate about tipping right enough but I'm happy to tag along here thanks :)

How about EVERYONE for compulsory tipping. As I for one feel the UK is being discriminated against....

Concur. Have no problem with compulsory tipping as long as everyone is treated the same, which is as per other cruiselines. Celebrity has the automatic gratuities, however it's for all passengers not just dependent on their nationallity. As previously stated, we often use our OBC towards our gratuities so no issues with having it on our seapass account.

Lol. I like to start threads where I stand a good chance of NOT getting flamed.... as it was my B2B thread nearly went off topic in a way I never imagined.... nah... I'm passionate about tipping right enough but I'm happy to tag along here thanks :)

Im aswell having my tuppence worth. The new way will stop the staff from getting shafted. As for Brits and Americans. I think they will both have there moments. Pity they wouldn't do a staff survey to see who are the worse tippers.

Good for you . I'm on the Indy TA during April . There is so many on the inclusive drink package . Some will be so smashed that they'll not be able to read the bill in Southampton

I am confused, and haven't received any email. We usually pre-pay, but this year we want to pay directly with cash.

So I am no longer able to do this yes? I don't want to end up taking a load of cash with me for tips if I am to be automatically charged for it.

If you have not pre-paid and decide not to before 1Mar then you will be charged on your seapass the daily gratuity rate of $12 ( JS and below) per person. No need to take it in cash if you are charging to a card.

my wife and i are personally glad to see this. it is long overdue. too many guests were "stiffing" the staff. now all those deadbeats finally will pay up. HIP HIP HOORAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I have reported this post for the aggressive description used of "deadbeats". I hope it will be removed shortly

I am hoping so :D, sorry about the stock!

It will be interesting to see if the MTD number increase drastically.

Good job RCI, its been a long time coming, now extend to all so we can get rid of the dispute over tips and just make it a standard service charge for all.

It might not reduce the posts as you are still able to visit guest services and have the amount(s) reduced if you feel service hasn't been up to scratch

Why are they just dealing with UK customers (European, too, apparently) first on this issue?

Just look at the responses on this thread.

ALL of the responses that are VEHEMENTLY AGAINST the change are from the UK (with two notable - and not surprising - exceptions).

The Americans on this thread are saying things liked "YIPPEE!"

That is the reason.

:cool:

LOL

Please.........maybe 25 americans posting yipee on the thread!! Not a big majority when thousands sail on one ship at a time..

I hate it and are probably one of the 'not surprising'.:D

If this policy comes to the US then I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

If it is FORCED upon you to provide a "tip", then it is not a TIP at all.

I will certainly be voicing my displeasure to RCI if this includes the US and, probably, cancelling the cruise that we have reserved for November.

Interesting to see that its not just the Brits who dislike this policy.

I wonder how many Americans will be in the line to stop to reduce or stop.

Linda, are you referring to the new terms because at present gratuities are not mandatory on your initial booking. You can have the gratuities removed from the booking and pay onboard either in cash or on your seapass card (especially if you use your OBC towards the amount). Currently, are you saying your TA does not allow you to do this?

As for the future changes, we won't be bothered either way so long as it applies to everyone.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.... but the email that was sent to some UK cruisers is very clear that cruises departing after 13th March WILL be charged gratuities if they've not already prepaid..... I'm all for it....

And I'm not bothered what they call it.....

Sorry if I wasn't clear.... but the email that was sent to some UK cruisers is very clear that cruises departing after 13th March WILL be charged gratuities if they've not already prepaid..... I'm all for it....

And I'm not bothered what they call it.....

Hi,

I hear you have just met my DH on FB. :)

Archived