Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Hello Folks

When it becomes mandatory its no longer a tip , its a service charge.

I think there will be problems in Australia for RCCL as what they are doing is against our laws

I'll always tip well..however a mandatory service charge is another matter , for our upcoming 1st March cruise on rhapsody of the seas its an additional mandatory cost of $250-00 I suggest that or consumer affairs people will slap RCCL on the wrist very hard once they are aware of it

Best Regards

john

Priness sails in Australia and has the same policy, and has had for some time, if they're doing it, I doubt it's against any laws.

What I'm going to do on my next cruise is tell them to remove the automatic tip and I will do my own tipping. If they refuse I will tell them remove the tip or else I'm contesting the charge.

I'm going to try this on my next cruise and see what happens. I'm sorry-if it is a tip-I want to hand it directly to the staff in cash if I can.

Some of you can wash this any way you want but do not tell me that the staff prefers pre-paid over cash. If you are trying to sell that, I've got many bridges in my area to sell!!!:D

I have just been on the US web site and it has the same post as our uk one as follows

To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities will not have a daily amount charged.

Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013

It now looks like it covers the US as well. That makes me happy.:)

Anybody still have the link to the room attendant who posted on CC saying that he never got the full gratuitiy

I suspected this was coming, especially in light of all the specialty restaurants that are being added fleet wide. When we were on the Oasis last year, we only ate in the MDR on 2 nights and during those times, we were shocked at how empty the MDR was. Our waitress said their tips have been drastically reduced since most people are eating at the other venues. Of course we tipped our MDR the full amount (even before hearing this) since I didn't think it was right to penalize them for our decision to dine elsewhere.

Ah, so it is across the board and not just for passengers from certain countries. That makes more sense.

Now I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to prepay before the change goes into effect. It's only a difference of $22, which is small in the overall cost of the vacation, but I might do it, just so I can give that extra $22 directly to some crew member who "WOW-ed" me during the cruise, rather than it going into the big gratuities pool.

Gotta love tipping threads... always plenty of excitement! :D

First, there's no doubt that those trying to avoid to pay their fair share come in all nationalities. In fact, I'd say that since high tipping as a matter of routine is more common in the US, that the Americans who are no shows on the final night are more disappointing- they can't even claim cultural differences.

As for the "the cruise line should just charge more and be done with the whole thing" argument, it would be bad business practice. Since all of the other lines show an "unbundled" price, including the service charge in the standard price would just make RCCL look more expensive than their competitors. Sure, it would be easier to comparison shop if they included taxes and port fees in as well- but if they were the only ones doing it, they would be at a competitive disadvantage.

If the cruise industry were starting from scratch, then perhaps a bundled pricing structure would make sense- but it isn't . There is a long history back from the "elite" days of spectacular service and expectation of gratuity. As cruising as become more mass market, with more passengers who need to budget carefully, I suspect that the overall tipping per person has decreased, which is why most of the other lines have adopted auto-tips.

The only way the RCCL could include service charge in the cruise fare without being at a competitive disadvantage would be if the entire industry agreed to it- which would force them to show fares as "$162/night!" rather than "$150!". Why would they possibly do that? As long as they clearly communicate what the autotip amount is, I understand how it makes good business sense for them.

I have just been on the US web site and it has the same post as our uk one as follows

To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013

It now looks like it covers the US as well. That makes me happy.:)

Anybody still have the link to the room attendant who posted on CC saying that he never got the full gratuitiy

Thanks so much for this.

Some of you can wash this any way you want but do not tell me that the staff prefers pre-paid over cash. If you are trying to sell that, I've got many bridges in my area to sell!!!:D

Well I asked my waiter and he said he preferred prepaid.

I don't assume that everyone likes prepaid, but he did.

Another point I want to make is that many posters report that MTD servers are supposedly the best workers of the group and that it is competitive to be assigned to MTD. I don't know why they would compete for a job that pays them less overall.

Ah, so it is across the board and not just for passengers from certain countries. That makes more sense.

Now I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to prepay before the change goes into effect. It's only a difference of $22, which is small in the overall cost of the vacation, but I might do it, just so I can give that extra $22 directly to some crew member who "WOW-ed" me during the cruise, rather than it going into the big gratuities pool.

Edit - Oops! Realized I multiplied by the three people in our cabin twice, when figuring this in my head. It's only $0.35/day x 7 x 3 = $7.35 Not enough to worry about.

:confused: Wake up before you post:) We are talking "Auto tips" deducted daily on board not "Pre Paid"! Auto tips are added the day after service has been used and will show up on ship spend printout as such with time the amount was added by purser on duty!:p

To me that is prepaid because I am not paying at the end. I am using the term 'prepaid' to cover all tips applied to one's account rather than tips you hand out to each person.

I still think it is fine; I am glad they are doing it. People will still request tips to be removed but it will add some difficulty to the process of 'not tipping'.

If too many people remove tips, they will have to start treating it as a prepaid service charge. People report that MTD tips are not removable; maybe that is because when you 'select' MTD, you are agreeing to the prepaid tips in advance.

The subject link was featured in this thread Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily but was somewhat buried among other posts.

Thought it might be a good idea to share this information with the folks on this side of the pond as it now appears that everyone will be affected by the recent change. :D

From the RCI website What is the Automatic Gratuity Program?

Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013.

Well I asked my waiter and he said he preferred prepaid.

I don't assume that everyone likes prepaid, but he did.

I would guess, because according to CC 80% if folks ditch the tip!!:p, that most staff would love a pre-paid system but I just find it hard to believe that cash is not the prefered method. But then again, what do I know!!:)

I just remember the days when I was a waitress and my entire income was tips how that end of the shift cash was great. I also remember folks putting the tip on the credit card and the paperwork su$%^d!!;)

I would guess, because according to CC 80% if folks ditch the tip!!:p, that most staff would love a pre-paid system but I just find it hard to believe that cash is not the prefered method. But then again, what do I know!!:)

I just remember the days when I was a waitress and my entire income was tips how that end of the shift cash was great. I also remember folks putting the tip on the credit card and the paperwork su$%^d!!;)

btw I think you will have a hard time removing tips 'just because'.

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

And btw if I was truly receiving awful service that was not being corrected I would ask to have those tips removed. I am sure that something would then be done to remedy the situation, so that further tips would not have to be removed.

I am D+ and I have never had terrible service from anyone and no one has been incompetent. Anytime I had any service complaint, it was addressed properly. And they actually went out of their way to make things right.

I'm very pleased. It is obvious that everyone has different opinions and approaches to tipping so hopefully it will provide some uniformity to wages. It must be very difficult to have no idea what you will earn from one week to the next.

We've been so fortunate. In all of our RCL cruises, we've never once received less than excellent service.

Seems like a good idea; 1) many new cruisers express concern about tipping conventions, and 2) some people just don't like the idea of extra charges, 3) run out of cash before the end of the cruise, 4) more cruisers dining in specialties and opting out of tipping all together 5) the distributions among staff (in all these venues) becomes more difficult

We've prepaid for a while with MTD, but it will be inflationary...we've always tipped above and beyond for service above and beyond, so hopefully the staff will continue to work hard in hope to get those "extras"

Thanks for sharing, Patty!

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise."

I probably will.

I just think that some people have to understand, some of us, that do tip really like the cash system as that's what a tip is to us. I'm not cheap, not looking to get out of anything, it's just a cash sytem that some of us have done all our lives and have a hard time changing!!:o And good lord, this is a CC thing with other stuff too!!!:D

I'll probably wind up handing the wad of cash to guest service instead of the actual crew so you can see how, for some of us, we'd just really like to do it the other way.

Not a deal breaker for me and a system I will abide by but will just take some time to to adjust to!!:o;)

Edited to say-I feel the same-never had bad service and never felt anyone did not deserve a tip. I just like to hand cash!! which really-is not a fault!!

Interesting that they no longer detail how the $12.00 per day is distributed to the crew, i.e., $5.00 to stateroom attendant, etc.

Maybe it makes it harder for someone to say "take off X amount for the head waiter, cause we never saw him". People will have to have a legitimate reason for removing tips for that day. And since it is a daily amount, I am guessing you have to have a complaint for each day.

And btw if I was truly receiving awful service that was not being corrected I would ask to have those tips removed. I am sure that something would then be done to remedy the situation, so that further tips would not have to be removed.

I am D+ and I have never had terrible service from anyone and no one has been incompetent. Anytime I had any service complaint, it was addressed properly. And they actually went out of their way to make things right.

Below is a copy of post #167. It basically says you can get the tips increased/decreased/removed on the ship with Should you wish to. RCI really need to get their act together and give an across the board response. Responses like this just muddy the waters...what's the point of adding them if they can be taken off so easily??

This was a response from guest support Uk received by e-mail this morning.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that you have not received our latest communication on our

gratuity programme. We are in the process of sending this out to guests who

have a future booking and who we have an email address for. Nevertheless I

have attached it in this email for you.

Just to summarise, if the gratuities are not pre paid then they will now

automatically be added to your onboard account. If you are unhappy with the

amount that has been added then it can either be increased, decreased or

removed. However this will need to be done once onboard the ship, we can

not do this in advance of the sailing.

I probably will.

I just think that some people have to understand, some of us, that do tip really like the cash system as that's what a tip is to us. I'm not cheap, not looking to get out of anything, it's just a cash sytem that some of us have done all our lives and have a hard time changing!!:o And good lord, this is a CC thing with other stuff too!!!:D

I'll probably wind up handing the wad of cash to guest service instead of the actual crew so you can see how, for some of us, we'd just really like to do it the other way.

Not a deal breaker for me and a system I will abide by but will just take some to to adjust to!!:o;)

I do understand, and there are plenty of people of all nationalities who follow the guidelines, but apparently there are a good number who don't. And this new system is because of them.

Archived