Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

I wonder, now that it appears to be a new policy that's being implemented for everyone, whether they'll discontinue the prepaid gratuities with final payment for MTD guests, and instead have them pay their gratuities via the daily charge to their onboard account as well.

This is not possible because pre paid Gratuities for MTD are not adjustable downward they are fixed! It is in the T&C,s

Daily auto tips are adjustable downward to nil :)

Why MTD gratuities are so "fixed" is beyond me? unless Gratuities for MTD are in actual fact a service charge like a Hotel charge? Why should how you choose dinner affect the cabin stewards tip and how it is paid?

What if you have terrible service with MTD? Too bad the waiter gets a tip regardless thank you very much:D

What if you have MTD and your room steward is not up to scratch?Too bad the steward gets a tip regardless thank you very much:D

Well, I've caught up with this thread and I am disgusted with the attitude and constant labelling of us Brits as people who 'stiff' the staff. We have always tipped, and since the option of MTD have had to prepay our gratuities.

I have not received the email and sail in May. Perhaps I didn't get it because we have already elected to prepay having selected MTD. And why have we selected MTD? So that we don't end up alone on the last night when our tables mates don't materialise, mmm I wonder why? And who comprises the largest percentage of guests on a Caribbean cruise, just saying. Work that one out. You don't have to be a scientist to work that one out. Oh, come on then, give me all the excuses why people don't turn up to the MDR on the last night, yawn. There's one reason and one reason only, to stiff the staff.

There are so many responses I want to report on this thread as offensive, but it won't change anything. People in the US have the perception that we Brits never pay gratuities. That will never change. There will always be some people from the US who will shout 'yippee' (yes, you know who you are) whenever you think the Brits are being brought into line to conform to your culture.

There will always be the ones you say 'get over it, get over yourself, move on and don't cruise', well I won't bow to your desires. I will continue to cruise, I can hold my head up because I tip.

I can also hold my head up in the Diamond Lounge on the last evening of a cruise when we are the only ones there, and those loud demanding guests who have been 'doing Europe' and clicking their fingers at the wait staff all week are noticeable absent on the last night. Mmm, I wonder why? And don't start trying to tell me that they may have already been in the lounge and tipped the staff, or tipped the staff each night, because I've seen them leave without tipping. So don't start criticising us Brits.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Well said Pete, it seems that Brits are always labelled as non-tippers, but we have also noticed that quite a number of passengers from the USA and other Countries also go missing on the last nt, especially from Concierge & Diamond Club(wonder why).

Tipping is always going to be an emotive subject and everyone has a different opinion as to how it should be operated, we have Cruised since 1998 and on our 1st cruise accepted that Tipping was part of the deal, however we are against being forced to pay these because, having spoken to lots of staff over the years we have been told that they DO NOT get all of Pre-Paid gratuities, it is for this reason alone that we give them Cash.

What if you have terrible service with MTD? Too bad the waiter gets a tip regardless thank you very much:D

What if you have MTD and your room steward is not up to scratch?Too bad the steward gets a tip regardless thank you very much:D

If you have terrible service the answer is to address it, either with the staff member or their supervisor, as soon as possible so that it can be rectified. It is not mature or helpful to the situation to do/say nothing but then seek to lower the amount of gratuity paid.

Agree with you that we Aussies pay a higher price for the same cruise. We were lucky in that the first time we booked with an Australian agent the tips were included. We now book online with a US agent to take advantage of the much lower prices.

Curiosity got the better of me and this morning I replied to the RCI tip email and said "Thanks for the email. I think the new policy is a great idea but one question. Based on an internet cruise forum, it sounded like only Brits were getting this email. Please can you clarify if the automatic addition to our sea pass accounts is for all guests regardless of nationality ? Or is it just UK cruisers?"

Surprisingly they have already replied with:

"Dear Miss x

Thank you for your email and comments. I can assure you that this is a company decision therefore all guests regardless of nationality will be following the same process and all our offices will be updating their websites accordingly.

Kind Regards

Holly"

So for all the Brits feeling a little picked on - it does sound like this policy is going global - even though I recognise many will say this isn't official (and of course it's not) - it's only a reply to my email.

Hello Folks

When it becomes mandatory its no longer a tip , its a service charge.

I think there will be problems in Australia for RCCL as what they are doing is against our laws

I'll always tip well..however a mandatory service charge is another matter , for our upcoming 1st March cruise on rhapsody of the seas its an additional mandatory cost of $250-00 I suggest that or consumer affairs people will slap RCCL on the wrist very hard once they are aware of it

Best Regards

john

Mmmm seems it's selected Brits that have the e-mail.

I have cruises booked the first departing in May and have heard nothing from RCI or my TA.

Poor show by both i.m.h.o.

I stopped prepaying after encountering a dreadful waiter on Explorer and pay in cash at the end of the cruise. I like the thought that the guys would gave the service have the cash in their mitts at the right time.

I don't see why RCI try to pretend this is not a service charge and just put the costs into the total price. It could be they believe that their product would not stand up to their Cruise Line competitors if the true price is shown.

Hello Folks

When it becomes mandatory its no longer a tip , its a service charge.

I think there will be problems in Australia for RCCL as what they are doing is against our laws

I'll always tip well..however a mandatory service charge is another matter , for our upcoming 1st March cruise on rhapsody of the seas its an additional mandatory cost of $250-00 I suggest that or consumer affairs people will slap RCCL on the wrist very hard once they are aware of it

Best Regards

john

Good morning all.

I've lost the plot so forgive me if I don't respond to all posts whilst I have been AFK but I'm a little bit in love with peteukmcr.

The charge is applicable to sailings after 13th March I believe so your cruise isn't implicated.

Your March 1st cruise does not qualify for this new charge.

If you have terrible service the answer is to address it, either with the staff member or their supervisor, as soon as possible so that it can be rectified. It is not mature or helpful to the situation to do/say nothing but then seek to lower the amount of gratuity paid.

Agree with you that we Aussies pay a higher price for the same cruise. We were lucky in that the first time we booked with an Australian agent the tips were included. We now book online with a US agent to take advantage of the much lower prices.

:confused: If you get terrible service then "Zero tip" is the only appropriate measure to take on land and at sea and then addresses the problem with supervisor! It has nothing to do with maturity?

MTDinners do not have the option to adjust their tip according to level of service provided unless the amount is "more money"?

Admittedly on a cruise it is very rare but I have done it when a P&O dinning room waiter openly argued with me at the dinning table and that was unacceptable to me! This was with auto tips and i had an amount removed at the pursers desk with an explanation card.

Too many think that a tip is a right of passage it is not! it is given for good service,what about MTD? No choice = not a tip but a service charge.

Good morning all.

I've lost the plot so forgive me if I don't respond to all posts whilst I have been AFK but I'm a little bit in love with peteukmcr.

The charge is applicable to sailings after 13th March I believe so your cruise isn't implicated.

Your March 1st cruise does not qualify for this new charge/

Morning,

According to my email, it's effective on all sailings from 1st March 2013.

I am also in in the peteukmcr fan club. :D

Good morning all.

All cruises fleetwide from and including 1st March 2013 sailings:) as in RCI new gratuity Q&A,s.

Wow Its only just got dark here in Perth Australia and i have been adding to this thread while most have been sleeping all night lol

Den

Good morning all.

Hi There,

It starts from march 1st :D My problems is not with tipping , I tip well ! However the problem I have with this is its "hidden" and "mandatory" nature, its "OPT OUT" nature rather than "OPT IN" , I really feel sure that this is against Australian Law and as my contract is with a company trading in Australia they are bound by that law. I'm afraid RCCL will get a nasty note from Australian Consumer Affairs on this :cool:

Best regards

John

This was a response from guest support Uk received by e-mail this morning.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that you have not received our latest communication on our

gratuity programme. We are in the process of sending this out to guests who

have a future booking and who we have an email address for. Nevertheless I

have attached it in this email for you.

Just to summarise, if the gratuities are not pre paid then they will now

automatically be added to your onboard account. If you are unhappy with the

amount that has been added then it can either be increased, decreased or

removed. However this will need to be done once onboard the ship, we can

not do this in advance of the sailing.

This was a response from guest support Uk received by e-mail this morning.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that you have not received our latest communication on our

gratuity programme. We are in the process of sending this out to guests who

have a future booking and who we have an email address for. Nevertheless I

have attached it in this email for you.

Just to summarise, if the gratuities are not pre paid then they will now

automatically be added to your onboard account. If you are unhappy with the

amount that has been added then it can either be increased, decreased or

removed. However this will need to be done once onboard the ship, we can

not do this in advance of the sailing.

Thanks for posting Caddie !

I will be taking a copy of this with me onboard Indy...

Is this really a new thing?? I thought they always added gratuities to your account if you dont pre pay? I just found this in the T&C's of a brochure I still have from last year.. (1.6)

Service charges/tips**, i.e. service charges/tips on

board or ashore; anything else which is not specifically mentioned as being included in the price. * A charge may be made for some

entertainment activities on board. ** Service charge for onboard dining and stateroom staff may be automatically added if you declined

to pre-pay this service at the time of booking

I wouldn't know as I always pre pay. But Im sure Ive heard someone say this is how its always been done before?

And if your really so peed off about it, all you have to do is go down to guest relations and get them removed, no biggie!!!

Thanks for posting Caddie !

I will be taking a copy of this with me onboard Indy...

See now, you are going with the mindset that you are going to have to argue about removing tips. Have you ever not tipped? If you always tip anyway, why in the world would you worry about being able to remove tips?

btw if I was experiencing bad service onboard I would seek to remedy it immediately. Removing tips is not even on my radar.

Well said Pete, it seems that Brits are always labelled as non-tippers, but we have also noticed that quite a number of passengers from the USA and other Countries also go missing on the last nt, especially from Concierge & Diamond Club(wonder why).

Tipping is always going to be an emotive subject and everyone has a different opinion as to how it should be operated, we have Cruised since 1998 and on our 1st cruise accepted that Tipping was part of the deal, however we are against being forced to pay these because, having spoken to lots of staff over the years we have been told that they DO NOT get all of Pre-Paid gratuities, it is for this reason alone that we give them Cash.

This exactly our experience and opinion too Tom !

People are saying that workers do not get all their prepaid tips. I specifically asked my waiter if he wanted cash or prepaid and he requested prepaid rather than cash. If they were taking his money why would he want prepaid?

Everyone has a different story.

Its quiet amusing to see this thread dynamic change:D When it was presumed the tipping rules were being changed just for Europeans and not US people were crowing how good it was, now it includes all its a different story lol:D:D

That's bs. I think everyone should have to prepay, not just certain countries.

[/b]

This exactly our experience and opinion too Tom !

Ours as well. We have asked on all our cruises and every staff member has said "cash please". We have been told on one occasion that RCI only give them a percentage of their tips....but whatever the reason, they prefer cash & I like to give it to them. I am not against paying my tips, I have never "stiffed" anyone, but I object to being told how to pay them. RCI need to build them into the cruise price for everyone & pay the staff a decent wage.

All cruises fleetwide from and including 1st March 2013 sailings:) as in RCI new gratuity Q&A,s.

Wow Its only just got dark here in Perth Australia and i have been adding to this thread while most have been sleeping all night lol

Den

Perth is only 20 mins up the road from me..

That's bs. I think everyone should have to prepay, not just certain countries.

:confused: Wake up before you post:) We are talking "Auto tips" deducted daily on board not "Pre Paid"! Auto tips are added the day after service has been used and will show up on ship spend printout as such with time the amount was added by purser on duty!:p

Archived