Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

On our last cruise in December we asked the Stateroom attendant, waiters etc. whether they would like pre-paid or cash. We were told by the stateroom attendent that he would like cash but the waiter said he would like his pre-paid as it determined by RCI whether his work was satifactory for advancement by how many at Main Dinning paid with pre-paid gratuties. We sometimes have a great Head Waiter and sometimes we don't, so make the determination on each cruise. We will still continue to give extra to those that make our cruise a wonderful experience. We also give tips to the Concierce and the staff there. We don't drink acohol but I do love cappuccino's and always make my own and don't use their service.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

"Loyal to Royal" and love to hear "The Sea is Calling"

I apologize for not seeing your post, Sunset Glow, before submitting mine.

GMTA! ;)

You guys are spot on about the separate line:D

I would like to see them handle it like the LA does. A book on the counter to make an appointment, then when the open sign appears, 5 minutes later its swamped:p

My problem with this is that we usually start putting away $10 or $20 bills when we book the cruise to go towards tips, parking, etc. and then pay cash (which we have always been told they prefer). It makes it easier on both us and the attendants.

Now I feel like we will look like cheap stiffers by asking to have it removed from the seapass bill to pay cash. :o

I don't know how this is going to work. I don't see the staff going above and beyond. They will figure, I'm gonna get paid anyway so why do more then I have to. I perfer to give the tip to the person(s) that have made my cruise vacation special, not a person that I might not see or interact with. I know the "cash" thing is a blast in the past, but a person working for tips I'm sure they like to have that cash in hand at the end of every cruise.

My problem with this is that we usually start putting away $10 or $20 bills when we book the cruise to go towards tips, parking, etc. and then pay cash (which we have always been told they prefer). It makes it easier on both us and the attendants.

Now I feel like we will look like cheap stiffers by asking to have it removed from the seapass bill to pay cash. :o

This is "policy" now and the crew has been made aware of it.

However, there is nothing preventing you from extending additional monies if you feel you have received outstanding service.

Here is the current breakdown of how the gratuities are split.....

Pre-Paid Gratuities Effective July 1, 2011

$5.00pp per day for Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 if in a GS or above)

$3.75pp per day for Waiter

$2.15pp per day for Assistant Waiter

$0.75pp per day for Head Waiter

$11.65pp per day ($13.90pp per day if booked in a GS or above)

So it is not just about 'tip dodging brits' as was suggested when the new policy hit our mail boxes. See http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1789125

But seriously as one who has always enjoyed the convenience of prepaid gratuities, I think this is a sensible move. It will certainly curtail the bragging rights of those who think it is cool to avoid paying tips and enjoy showing off about it.

We're sailing March 3, so it looks like this will apply to us.

OK, so we've already prepaid gratuities for dining since we are doing My Time Dining. That's cool - makes it easier in the end.

So this $12. Per passenger? So for our cabin of 4 it's $48 per day charged already, or charged at the end of the cruise on our SeaPass account?

Sorry, have never cruised and am confused.

So this means I don't have to leave a bunch of envelopes around and figure out how much money each person gets? I like this, if so!!!!

Just apply the cash to your seapass account and give extra to whomever you choose.

Just apply the cash to your seapass account and give extra to whomever you choose.

That was easy!

Having only used MTD we have always pre-paid and I have no problem with that. How many cruise lines are left now that don't have tips as a service charge?

Those that think they may take there business elsewhere might be in for a surprise.

I just hope they also do away with the bits of paper and envelopes for those of us that have prepaid

The paper slips can go since the staff knows it is pre-paid or automatic. But the envelopes are handy not only for "extra" for exceptional service but also for people not covered. We often get excellent beverage service in MDR (yes, tip is added on the slip and we often do exrta) but when they know what we order and find us in other venues that is abive & beyond so we make en envelope for them on last night.

For the ones included in tip program we often add extra in envelope on last night and many people do same. If service has only been minimal we do skip the extra (like cabin attendant once). So there is still incentive to excel even with automatic tipping programs.

On our last cruise in December we asked the Stateroom attendant, waiters etc. whether they would like pre-paid or cash. We were told by the stateroom attendent that he would like cash but the waiter said he would like his pre-paid as it determined by RCI whether his work was satifactory for advancement by how many at Main Dinning paid with pre-paid gratuties.

That doesn't make sense....how can they determine that just by prepaid gratuties? That's tipping in advance for service yet to be rendered, and that doesn't mean that service is going to be 'advancement worthy'. :confused:

I don't know how this is going to work. I don't see the staff going above and beyond. They will figure, I'm gonna get paid anyway so why do more then I have to. I perfer to give the tip to the person(s) that have made my cruise vacation special, not a person that I might not see or interact with. I know the "cash" thing is a blast in the past, but a person working for tips I'm sure they like to have that cash in hand at the end of every cruise.

That *may* be the attitude of some, so if you see it, remove the automatic and tip accordingly. I don't think we'll see a downturn in service. :)

I know this is for ALL guests...but, we don't normally give our son charging on his Seapass (because he doesn't use it and we're afraid he might lose his card). I guess if they apply it to his Seapass, it'll automatically show up on one of ours?

Good morning all.

I've lost the plot so forgive me if I don't respond to all posts whilst I have been AFK but I'm a little bit in love with peteukmcr.

Thanks for your support, one day I reckon we'll bump into each other on a cruise, hope so.

Morning,

According to my email, it's effective on all sailings from 1st March 2013.

I am also in in the peteukmcr fan club. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I very rarely get that on CC :D

We're sailing March 3' date=' so it looks like this will apply to us.

OK, so we've already prepaid gratuities for dining since we are doing My Time Dining. That's cool - makes it easier in the end.

So this $12. Per passenger? So for our cabin of 4 it's $48 per day charged already, or charged at the end of the cruise on our SeaPass account?

Sorry, have never cruised and am confused.

So this means I don't have to leave a bunch of envelopes around and figure out how much money each person gets? I like this, if so!!!!

if you have already prepaid you are all set. they will not charge you again on board. you can, however, tip extra in cash if you feel any of your service staff is deserving of such.

crusinfever,

i thought we already have this same thread already going.:confused::confused::confused:

Seriously... ANOTHER thread?

This thread Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily was started yesterday by someone over in the UK. As of last night, the new policy was still not announced here in the US. Apparently, the announcement was to be made simultaneously but Miami fell asleep! :D

Today, in post #124 of the above mentioned thread, a link was provided referencing the US RCI website describing the new policy of Automatic Gratuities on this side of the pond. Of course, it slowly got buried.

A good percentage or the responses on the above thread were contributed by those living across the pond. So, just to make sure that our American guests were properly informed, and to give them a chance to express themselves, I decided to start a thread giving them all the necessary details.

You are more than welcome to ignore this thread if you like.:D

This thread Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily was started yesterday by someone over in the UK. As of last night, the new policy was still not announced here in the US. Apparently, the announcement was to be made simultaneously but Miami fell asleep! :D

Today, in post #124 of the above mentioned thread, a link was provided referencing the US RCI website describing the new policy of Automatic Gratuities on this side of the pond. Of course, it slowly got buried.

A good percentage or the responses on the above thread were contributed by those living across the pond. So, just to make sure that our American guests were properly informed, and to give them a chance to express themselves, I decided to start a thread giving them all the necessary details.

You are more than welcome to ignore this thread if you like.:D

LIKE!!!:eek::p:D Ellen

It seems that not just the Brits disagree with this new policy as was mentioned on the other thread. Here are some comments from Folk already on this thread from the USA.

1) Well this ridiculous change of policy won't affect us as we are taking our business elsewhere.

Buh bye, Royal.

2)My problem with this is that we usually start putting away $10 or $20 bills when we book the cruise to go towards tips, parking, etc. and then pay cash (which we have always been told they prefer). It makes it easier on both us and the attendants.

Now I feel like we will look like cheap stiffers by asking to have it removed from the seapass bill to pay cash.

3) I don't know how this is going to work. I don't see the staff going above and beyond. They will figure, I'm gonna get paid anyway so why do more then I have to. I perfer to give the tip to the person(s) that have made my cruise vacation special, not a person that I might not see or interact with. I know the "cash" thing is a blast in the past, but a person working for tips I'm sure they like to have that cash in hand at the end of every cruise.

like i said IT'S FINAL :D

on my next cruise (early march 2013) i am going to bring a chair from my balcony down to the front desk and sit there to see who shows up.

CAN'T WAIT:D:D:D

Perhaps they should make it an excursion along with bar service. It will prove to be great entertainment. :D

Firstly, where on earth does this rubbish about Brits not tipping come from? My husband and I always pre-pay our gratuities and have never done MTD so it's purely voluntary in addition we also give extra when we feel it's deserved NB the only time we haven't given extra in all the cruises we have done was to the stateroom attendent in a Grand Suite!! We are far from unusual in this so lets stop hearing the same old story.

Secondly,Is this compulsory? if so then it is not a gratuity it is a service charge and should be quoted up front.

The dictionary definition for gratuity - taking particular note of number 2

"gratuity [grəˈtjuːɪtɪ]

n pl -ties 1. (Business / Commerce) a gift or reward, usually of money, for services rendered; tip

2. something given without claim or obligation

3. (Military) Military a financial award granted for long or meritorious service"

Although different versions have now been quoted the original e-mail that somebody posted stated " In the unlikely event that a guest onboard does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise to discuss the matter" - why discuss the matter, if you want it removed it should be and you shouldn't have to explain or discuss your reasons for wanting to have "something given without claim or obligation" removed from your account.

There are already a lot of differences in terms and conditions between booking in the US and the UK. Some to your benefit some to ours. They can certainly add one more if they choose.

Mark, absolutely no sarcasm involved here but please tell me what differences there are between the UK & US t&c's that benefit the Brits? That really is a genuine question because although I have no choice but to accept them if I want to continue cruising with RCI (and I do :)) it would be great to know that we're not always the ones who lose out.

Better still a thread asking RCI set a cruise fare that covers everything .

That way if you don't want to pay the price . Don't book !

Great idea Borgcruiser - but I suspect that might be a bit too honest!!

Can I join the Peteukmcr fan club please?

Gill

Archived