Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

If this policy comes to the US then I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

If it is FORCED upon you to provide a "tip", then it is not a TIP at all.

I will certainly be voicing my displeasure to RCI if this includes the US and, probably, cancelling the cruise that we have reserved for November.

Interesting to see that its not just the Brits who dislike this policy.

I wonder how many Americans will be in the line to stop to reduce or stop.

If this is there policy,this is no longer a gratuity but a service charge.I decide what i am going to tip.Most of the time it is more then they ask if i feel the service was good.If this is the new policy i will fly to the caribbean and start land base vacations.:( :mad:

so it is a Service Charge and not a Tip.

two different definitions.

the price increase is small' date=' but will there now be a yearly COLA for the Crew? We always "tipped" $1 from each at our table, to anyone who gave us table side service in the WJ - probably won't, in the future.

People will forget what you say.

People will forget what you do.

People will never forget how [i']you [/i]made them feel. :)

No, they are still calling them gratuities.....

"......As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise".

We got the email too, adds almost $900 to our b2b Panama Canal cruise, actually will cost us less as we tend to over tip for excellent service! Feel sorry for the room stewards who will probably get stiffed when they don't get their generous envelope each week. Has to be done, though. Too many foreigners don't tip at all and the staff works for free. Just came back from Adventure out of PR. The woman room steward was in tears. Had a block of cabins of Europeans, nobody tipped at all.

I'm not sure how this new policy prevents you from recognizing exceptional service above and beyond,..

We got the email too, adds almost $900 to our b2b Panama Canal cruise, actually will cost us less as we tend to over tip for excellent service! Feel sorry for the room stewards who will probably get stiffed when they don't get their generous envelope each week. Has to be done, though. Too many foreigners don't tip at all and the staff works for free. Just came back from Adventure out of PR. The woman room steward was in tears. Had a block of cabins of Europeans, nobody tipped at all.

Your gratuities will amount to $180 pp or $360 for you and hour husband for each cruise.

Wow, what a change in tone since the US email went out. Yesterday when people from Europe and the UK reported getting notification of this increase and change of process, the tone on this thread was downright antagonistic towards Brits because apparently we don't tip! But we do!

Now, when the US email has gone out, what a change. Just saying. Don't like it now do you when it's mandatory? But it was ok before when you could tip what you liked, always above the recommended amount wasn't it? I think I read that on nearly every post, but now, mmmm:D

As I said before, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't see what the big deal is. FAQs on the RCI website explains all. Plus, it does say you can adjust the daily amount (depending on how service was) by going to guest services. It is not required that you pay full amount. I have been treated poorly on some cruises and have tipped accordingly. Until they stop calling it a tip, I will still treat it as one.

If Royal follows the procedure on X, removing the auto-paid gratuity will be a black mark against the intended recipients. Additionally, if you remove the gratuity, those to whom you give cash are supposed to turn in those tips for pooling. Leave your gratuity in place, and any extra cash is the recipient's to pocket.

I still don't get why this is such a big deal. Tip, service charge, gratuity- it's semantics. As I've said previously, it's no different than the compulsory service charge we pay in European restaurants and in many American resorts.

It is indeed obvious that the outrage is not confined to "non-tipping cultures."

Note to self: stick a few dollars in an outside pocket before dining out with American in-laws next week.

P.S. Hey, Pete. I'll buy you a drink come October!

IMHO, i see the ones who are complaining about the mandatory adding this surcharge to the sea pass daily, are the ones who finally got caught.

remember this is my observation. no one else. but honestly, this is what i am reading...

Hello Folks

When it becomes mandatory its no longer a tip , its a service charge.

I think there will be problems in Australia for RCCL as what they are doing is against our laws

I'll always tip well..however a mandatory service charge is another matter , for our upcoming 1st March cruise on rhapsody of the seas its an additional mandatory cost of $250-00 I suggest that or consumer affairs people will slap RCCL on the wrist very hard once they are aware of it

Why would that be the case?

Many places have mandatory service charges. For example, numerous hotels in Europe and the US. And you can book and prepay them in Australia. It doesn't stop them adding the service charge, or city tax, or whatever the case may be.

As long as it's disclosed there should be no issue.

I just got home, saw the email and came here to read...We do not ever eat in the MDR...on our upcoming (2 weeks) Allure cruise, we have 5 nites booked in the specialty restaurants. Other 2 nites will be hot dogs, Johnny Rockets, etc. (never Windjammer!) We normally tip extra at Chops, Giovanni's Table, Johnny Rockets, etc. If we are required to leave gratuities for "dining services", does anyone know if these tips are shared with the specialty restaurant servers? I feel we will feel a little cheap not leaving extra at the Specialty Restaurants, but if we've already tipped approximatley $14 for "dining services" I will feel a little put out leaving more for the excellent service we receive in these dining establishments. Any opinions or advice?

I just got home, saw the email and came here to read...We do not ever eat in the MDR...on our upcoming (2 weeks) Allure cruise, we have 5 nites booked in the specialty restaurants. Other 2 nites will be hot dogs, Johnny Rockets, etc. (never Windjammer!) We normally tip extra at Chops, Giovanni's Table, Johnny Rockets, etc. If we are required to leave gratuities for "dining services", does anyone know if these tips are shared with the specialty restaurant servers? I feel we will feel a little cheap not leaving extra at the Specialty Restaurants, but if we've already tipped approximatley $14 for "dining services" I will feel a little put out leaving more for the excellent service we receive in these dining establishments. Any opinions or advice?

I have the same question? I'm doing the chef table package, 5 specialty.

Ok, I'm too tired to read all this right now.

We have a cruise booked in October. If we don't have prepaid gratuities selected right now and don't do it before March 1st, can we still do it later? I don't know if I want to deal with daily charges onboard. One big charge would be my preference.

Really some how I don't think so

Why would that be the case?

Many places have mandatory service charges. For example, numerous hotels in Europe and the US. And you can book and prepay them in Australia. It doesn't stop them adding the service charge, or city tax, or whatever the case may be.

As long as it's disclosed there should be no issue.

Australian consumer law demands that all such add-on cost must be disclosed when making cruise payment (if the service charge is mandatory) which it is not according to a very cleverly worded entry on the RCCL.com.au website

Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

Thus tipping on cruises booked with RCCL.com.au is NOT mandatory and RCCL may NOT apply such charges

My reservation gives no option to pepay tips other than if I choose mytime dining for which I have to pay for with my cruise fare

As I've said before I intend to tip well .. in cash

If RCCL impose a MANDATORY service chage on my account then they are in breach of Australian law and RCCL trade here as

Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia

Level 2 80 Arthur Street

North Sydney

NSW

So thus doing business here are bound by Australian laws in regards to Australian customers (and they wont allow us to book via the USA office) they cannot have it both ways

I'm looking forward to getting the e-mail from them :p

A quick forward to consumer affairs should produce interesting results

regards

John

PS I think the answer to all this is to increase the cost of the cruise by the "tip" amount and call the cruise inclusive :eek: be honest about the true cost.

So thus doing business here are bound by Australian laws in regards to Australian customers (and they wont allow us to book via the USA office) they cannot have it both ways

PS I think the answer to all this is to increase the cost of the cruise by the "tip" amount and call the cruise inclusive :eek: be honest about the true cost.

I also do not like to book through the Oz office, so I just book through a US travel agent. You can google for agents that are specially for cruises.

Regards to your PS I think we will see travel agents here start to advertise the price including all gratuities

:eek: I just received an email from RCCL indicating that they have just changed their tipping policy. Come on Royal Caribbean, quit insulting our intelligence. RCCL calls it a tip, this is a fee. Build it into your prices...Pay your staff...let us decide who gets a REAL TIP.

I quote:

:p "As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

:p And so start adding an extra $24.00 to $28.50 per day for all your future trips. Thats an additional $168.00 to $200.00 more for a 7 Day cruise.

:confused: How is that for a Rip Off? So if you get lousy service, you are now forced to encourage it. Don't use the formal dining? Too bad, you tip anyway. Isn't it bad enough that they build tips into the over priced spa and ship shape services. So cruisers don't have a say in the service?

Here is a Tip Royal Caribbean.... Quit ripping us off. Put your prices up front and pay your staff. We'll decide how much to tip service staff. Princess Cruise Lines is really starting to look pretty good lately. ;) And I'm a Diamond Plus C & A Member.:rolleyes:

:eek: I just received an email from RCCL indicating that they have just changed their tipping policy. Come on Royal Caribbean, quit insulting our intelligence. RCCL calls it a tip, this is a fee. Build it into your prices...Pay your staff...let us decide who gets a REAL TIP.

I quote:

:p "As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

:p And so start adding an extra $24.00 to $28.50 per day for all your future trips. Thats an additional $168.00 to $200.00 more for a 7 Day cruise.

:confused: How is that for a Rip Off? So if you get lousy service, you are now forced to encourage it. Don't use the formal dining? Too bad, you tip anyway. Isn't it bad enough that they build tips into the over priced spa and ship shape services. So cruisers don't have a say in the service?

Here is a Tip Royal Caribbean.... Quit ripping us off. Put your prices up front and pay your staff. We'll decide how much to tip service staff. Princess Cruise Lines is really starting to look pretty good lately. ;) And I'm a Diamond Plus C & A Member.:rolleyes:

PCL does the same..and on my one and only cruise with them I couldn't help but feel this already earned gratuity made a difference ....Stay with RCI regardless..I know I am, and I'm not happy either about this new "service charge" aka "tip".

Archived